  Re: kernel problems (Marada C. Shradrakaii)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: Operating Systems? Where would you go next?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:00:54 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Richard Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Here in comp.os.os2.misc, Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> : spake unto us, saying:
>
> :>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Richard Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>
> :>: The network and the host machine isn't involved in any of those things.
> :>: Only when the Transmit key or selection function keys are hit is any
> :>: sort of signal sent outside the terminal itself because the base UTS is
> :>: intelligent enough to interpret the field descriptors that the host
> :>: painted on its screen.
> :>
> :>That behaviour is only acceptable if you don't care about the ability
> :>to be interactive.
>
> : You pay want to rephrase that to be "...ability to be interactive with
> : an application on the host."
>
> [snip long description of block mode terminals as opposed to character
> terminals, comparing them to client/server.]
>
> Sure, *some* interactive features exist on the terminal, but the
> problem is that you can't run software of your own making on the
> terminal's end of things, so the "client" is fixed and unchanging.
> That's not very expressive.  When you want a type of interaction
> that wasn't implemented in the terminal, you can't have it.  Character
> terminals might require more interruption of the CPU on the mainframe,
> but they allow for future expansions of the interface, and in a good
> multi-user timesharing system, trying to find a way to let the CPU be
> interrupted often without hurting performance is something that should
> be solved anyway, block terminals or not.

Dedicated I/O buffers with dual-port memory (like on video cards),
with a simple processor for managing the buffers.  Maybe put a
"new data available"/"output flushed" flag to indicate to the the
CPU that whatever program is using that buffer should proceed.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Linux envy Microsoft?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:04:32 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> hackerbabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : A quote from http://microsoft.aynrand.org/hate.html, referring to why
> : Microsoft has been persecuted in the anti-trust trial:
>
> : "There is only one fundamental reason why great businessmen [like Bill
> : Gates] or great companies [like Microsoft] are hated, and it has
> : nothing to do with so-called monopolies. [Microsoft is] hated . . .
> : because [it is] good, that is, smarter, more visionary, more creative,
> : more tenacious, more action-focused, more ambitious, and more
> : successful than everyone else.
>
> : Haters of the good [competing OSes and browsers] do not want the less
> : able to be raised up to the level of the great producers (which is
> : impossible); they want the great producers to be brought down. They
> : want to use government coercion to cripple the greatest minds so that
> : lesser minds will not feel inferior."
> : --------
> : Is there any truth to this accusation of envy, or are there other
> : reasons people dislike Microsoft?
>
> This is a common argument from some libertarians (I am assuming
> the author is probably a libertarian due to the Ayn Rand in the
> hostname - admittedly this could be a premature assumption.)
>
> But what they don't seem to realize is that some of the opponents
> of Microsoft are *also* libertarians.  They feel the ebb and flow
> of laissez-faire capitalism is being prevented by Microsoft's
> bully tactics.  It is common for some of these people to dislike
> Microsoft, but *also* dislike the government's handling of the
> situation - preferring instead a campaign of persuasion, getting
> the marketplace to willingly switch away from Microsoft.  Sure
> MS engaged in unethical pracitices, but they wouldn't have worked
> if it weren't for the fact that the computer marketplace is an
> extremely UNinformed marketplace.  In an informed marketplace,
> people don't fall for that kind of crap.  But the computer
> software marketplace is one where all to often the person making
> the buying decision doesn't know a damn thing about the product.
>
> Libertarianism is supposed to be about freedom of your money
> AND your personal liberty, but all to often I see libertarians
> who only give a rat's ass about the money, and think everything
> else will just follow suit automatically if you take care of
> the money end of things.

Yes...as a registered Libertarian, I've been absolutely aghast at the
editorial position of both Reason magazine ( http://www.reasonmag.com/ )
and Liberty magazine ( http://www.libertysoft.com/liberty/ ) both
fail to recognize that Microsoft's behavior has been one of SUBVERTING
the very same free markets which Libertarianism seeks to support.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Who LOVES Linux again?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:08:20 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>
> :> Dunno.  Looks like software.  I've had this happen to me once.
> :> Although since using Linux since 1.1.13 I'm not complaining.
> :>
> :> What I do find is netscape chews into swap over an extended
> :> period of time, and thrashes the disk.  Moreso when so
> :> is loaded.  Fighting for resource?
>
> : Add memory.  This will stop the thrashing.
>
> Not always.  If the process has a memory leak, it just DELAYS
> the thrashing until later, taking longer to eat up available
> real memory.

True.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Joel Barnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dumping Novell for Linux (almost)..
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:13:35 -0800

Thanks indeed for the post. Your smb.conf file looks like you are using
Samba as a domain controller. I was under the impression that Samba can't be
a domain controller for my Windows 2000 clients.

jbarntt

news:5uk76.722$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: "Is the end looming for the Microsoft monopoly?"
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:10:44 -0000

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:31:03 +0000, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Michael Marion wrote:
>
>> I think they had a lot of problems with the first generation models (the
>> early
>> 14hour ones).  I had one, then bought a 30 hour and gave the 14 to my
>> parents.  The 14 hour started to die a few months later.  My 30 hour has
>> been rock solid for almost a year now (and I even hacked it to add a 60Gig
>> disk...
>
>These are thirty hour ones bought in the UK. There do seem to be a lot of
>teething troubles reported in the TiVo UK forum.

        The TiVO didn't catch on for awhile simply because most people
        don't know what to think of it. This likely led to the hardware
        and software in the unit not being given the proper shakedown it
        needed.

        Customers will always find new ways to abuse your product that
        you never thought of.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Ballmer says Linux is Microsoft's No. 1 Threat
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:12:01 -0000

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:41:21 +0000, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Bruce Scott TOK wrote:
>
>> Very poorly written piece.  From a Corporate IT/MS perspective, it talks
>> as if Linux has been _technologically_ playing catch up to W* and is
>> just getting there.
>
>Sounds like my comment "Linux lags behind Windows"
>
>> Linux was beyond that point several years ago.
>
>In certain areas, yes, but in terms of the GUI, it's catching up to Windows.

        There really isn't much to do.

        Just implement WIMP.

        That was done before Linux even existed.

[deletia]

--

          The LGPL does infact tend to be used instead of the GPL in instances
          where merely reusing a component, while not actually altering that

          This dramatically alters the nature and usefulness of Free Software
          in practice, contrary to the 'all viral all the time' fantasy the
          anti-GPL cabal here would prefer one to believe.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linux misseery cont.
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:18:22 -0000

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:07:25 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> > Then dont use linux.  If you want pointy-clicky, stick with windows.
>> >
>> > See ya.
>> >

>> If it's pointy-clicky you're after, get a Mac!
>> --
>> http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club
>>

>You know last time I checked there are many platforms that support the
>Mac.  As far as sticking with windows, I practically use linux much

        ???

        Are you kidding?

        Is this some sort of bad joke?

        MacOS runs on one and only one architecture currently.

        Even NT made it farther than that.

>more often for servers but when it comes down to the workstation level
>windows would be my choice.
[deletia]

--

        The term "popular" is MEANINGLESS in consumer computing. DOS3
          was more "popular" than contemporary Macintoshes despite the

          Network effects are everything in computing.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:18:37 -0500

"Marada C. Shradrakaii" wrote:

> >Which is why CrapWindows, err I mean XWindows defaults you back to
> >320x200 if you get ANYTHING wrong (I had the gall to use X
> >configurator to actually try and make a standard PS/2 mouse work).
> >Sheesh.
> >

> The X server generally wants to provide 256 colours (at least XF86_SVGA seems
> that way)... the only way it can be sure of getting that is to go 320x200.
> It's a failsafe.

320 x 200 is only VGA resolution, not SVGA.

640 x 400 should be no problem (unless your video card is pre-svga...in
which case....spend $5 and get a new one)

> --
> Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
> Colony name not needed in address.
> DC2.Dw Gm L280c W+ T90k Sks,wl Cma-,wbk Bsu#/fl A+++ Fr++ Nu M/ O H++ $+ Fo++
> R++ Ac+ J-- S-- U? I++ V+ Q++[thoughtspeech] Tc++

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:19:36 -0000

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:14:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Jim Broughton wrote:
>>
>> > For a person that wants more point and click configuration I find it
>> > hard to belive that you run the distribution that requiers the most
>> > by hand configuration. If you want pointy clicky config try red hat
>> > and use linuxconf under X.
>>
>>    ...and it would be good if it wasn't so slow and
>> seg-faulted every five seconds. It's web interface may be more stable
>> though.
>>

>i use slackware because of the fact it doesn't hide the installation
>and configuration.  I'm saying that if linux wishes to compete with
>windows on the workstation level than it needs to be point and click
>configuration (much like the XF86Setup that I much like and has helped
>us all.... thanks for that very powerful tool i always use to hate
>configuring the x-windows configuration files with vi or jed).
>Wouldn't it be cool if there was a program to set up you NIC, kernal, X-
>windows, Internet, ect just by typing in one command and having a very
>friendly wizard like configuration?

        Maybe if you used something besides Slackware, you would be
        aware that such tools have existed for Linux for years
        already.

[deletia]

--

        Common Standards, Common Ownership.

        The alternative only leads to destructive anti-capitalist
        and anti-democratic monopolies.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:20:38 -0000

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:05:20 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>In article <93kghb$2kj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:
>> Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[deletia]

>> > No NO NO no no no...
>>
>> > If you want pointy-clicky you need GNOME installed on your Potato!
>>
>> > Use Debian.
>>
>> Dammit, stop using my favorite distribution against me.  I concur.
>>
>> :P
>>
>> -----.
>>

>Gnome is far from being point and clicky easy such as windows.  i don't
>mean to affend you but I still think Gnome has a way to go.

        Then what's missing exactly?

        Besides not being DOS, what does it really have wrong with it?

--

        Having seen my prefered platform being eaten away by vendorlock and
        the Lemming mentality in the past, I have a considerable motivation to

        Free Software is the only way to level the playing field against a
        market leader that has become immune to market pressures.

        The other alternatives are giving up and just allowing the mediocrity
        to walk all over you or to see your prefered product die slowly.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Reg. Gnome..
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:22:49 -0000

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:25:40 -0600, Rajendra Jadhav <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am facing some problems starting the X-server. I get following errors when
>attemting to start xserver.
>

>excve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)
>-X11 TransSocketUnixConnect: Can't connect: errno 111
>giving up
>xinit : connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
>xinit : No such process (errno 3): server error
>
>can you plz guide me in this and tell me what trouble shooting step should i
>take.

Give the command "/etc/X11/X" a try.

You should get a bare GUI.

Otherwise, /etc/X11/X isn't pointing to a valid X binary.

/etc/X11/X is usually just a link to the real thing.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Ed is the standard editor
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:23:15 -0500

TTK, Ciar wrote:

> ttk@typhon:~/prog> alias | grep ed
> ed      jove
> ttk@typhon:~/prog>
>
>   This alias has been in my .cshrc on every system I've had an account
> on for many, many years .. except systems which for whatever reason I
> cannot install jove on, in which case I've aliased it to "emacs -nw".
>
>   -- TTK

Why would you *ever* type "ed"

I made that mistake....once....

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: The real truth about NT
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:25:20 -0000

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:23:21 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > I guess you should, since you don't seem to have a point.
>>
>> POINT: NT requires lots more disk space then Linux (machines doing
>> roughly the same work)
>
>Strange, My linux install was over 1GB.

        Strange, I've installed Linux X development machines
        with a mere 150M.

[deletia]

        OTOH, any version of Windows (full install) that you can name will
        be missing basic utilities and device drivers that any 1G Linux
        installation (or even a 500M one) would have included.

        No WinDOS install includes the CD worth of stuff that is an office
        suite or the several CD's worth of stuff that are the dev tools.

--

  >> Yes.  And the mailer should never hand off directly to a program
  >> that allows the content to take control.
  >
  >Well most mailers can, so I guess they all suck too.

        Yup.

        Candy from strangers should be treated as such.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The pros and cons of Linux vs Windows
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:16:31 GMT

In article <Q2376.167345$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Linux is crash free compared to Windows 98 SE. However...
>
> KDE konqueror can't seem to see SMB drives on either a SAMBA server or a
> Windows PC.

Actually, it works here, but if it doesn't, Caldera is paying someone to
implement it right.

If you really want it now, use Gnomba as a "neighborhood"), and configure it
to run "kfmclient openURL" when opening a share.

Remember to make smbmnt suid root so regular users can mount the shares.

It works remarkably similar to that windows thingie.

> Konqueror as a web browser appears to have problems with some of the web
> sites I visit.

Konqueror on 2.1 works with even more sites than it used to.

[snip some]

--
Roberto Alsina

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marada C. Shradrakaii)
Date: 11 Jan 2001 20:31:24 GMT
Subject: Re: kernel problems

>And installing those patches is a royal pain in the ass, when most Windows
>drivers come with (GASP) INSTALLERS.

Cripes.  You might have to READ the readme.