From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Hatred?
Date: 12 Jan 2001 23:51:39 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: news:93krbs$rps$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> : "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
:> : news:93irfr$fea$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:> :> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> :>
:> :> : That depends.  I'd say it's not well documented.  What if you don't
: know
:> :> : what a default gateway is, or what multicast routing is, or what an
: NIS
:> :> : client is?  What exactly ARE the "Flags for rwhod"?  or the named
: flags?
:> :>
:> :> : Yes, there are comments which mention something, but I'd hardly call
:> : that
:> :> : "well documented".
:> :>
:> :> Not all documentation should live in one spot.  Nobody who already
: knows
:> :> those things wants to wade through that crap to find the thing they
:> :> need to change.  For someone who knows what they are doing already,
:> :> the comments tell them the proper syntax to express it to the system.
:> :> For someone who doesn't already know what those things mean, go
:> :> to the /usr/doc directory for the long-winded documentation.  (If you
:> :> don't know what an NIS client is, you can't easily explain it all in
:> :> a few paragraphs, so putting that in the file itself is too verbose.)
:>
:> : In other words, the file is not well documented by it's comments
: internally.
:> : It's barely documented enough to find documentation elsewhere.
:>
:> It's just as well documented as a dialog box or popup menu, which also
:> don't tell you what the terms actually mean - you have to go to another
:> source for that documentation (bring up the windows Help, for example).
:> The difference is that a dialog box or popup menu is ONLY usable
:> manually, and cannot be used by a program, whereas a text file with
:> its syntax documented can be altered by either a human or a program.

: But that's not what was claimed.  What was claimed was that each
: configuration file was "well documented" by it's internal comments.  Perhpas
: some are, but most are not.

Good luck trying to get a definition of "well documented" that everyone
can agree on.  Until you do, this goes nowhere.

: Additionally, Dialog boxes have "What's this"
: help, by clicking the question mark in the upper right corner, you can click
: on an item and get extended help on it, or you can F1 on objects and go
: directly to the help for that item, not so in configuration files.

Yeah, and that's not part of the dialog box itself.  Just like the stuff
in seperate documentation files isn't part of the text config.  Make up
your mind - either they both count or neither count.

:> The idea situation is text configs with optional GUI front-ends.
:> It's when the GUI becomes the primary interface and the text config
:> stops being documented at all that it's a problem.

: And what about the text configs in Linux with nearly no documentation?

Name examples so I know what you are talking about.  The text files I
change regularly do not fit the description "nearly no documentation".

: Neither a GUI or TEXT docs.

:> :> Don't try to get into a dick-waving contest about documentation
:> :> between Windows and Unix.  Terse descriptions aren't nearly as
:> :> annoying as the non-existant technical descriptions you (don't) get
:> :> through Windows' installed docs.
:>
:> : There are gigabytes of information available free on the web.
:>
:> That's not a dick-waving contest Windows can win either.
:> (And don't measure in bytes, measure in words.  Web sites can
:> vary tremendously in byte-count without varying at all in
:> information count if, for example, one site contains a bloated
:> GIF picture and another contains the same picture as a JPG or
:> PNG, or if one site has a paragraph written in ascii text with
:> sprinklings of HTML, and another site contains the same paragraph
:> in a word processor document.)

: I said Gigabytes of *INFORMATION*, not gigabytes of web pages.

You *did* say "on the web".  Okay, so perhaps you meant "files
downloaded from the web and viewed locally, that are not actually
web pages, but are accessable through web pages."  Okay, fine.
What I said still applies.  A few paragraphs of documentation
can vary in bytecount by a huge amount depending on the format.

I've got tons of documentation in /usr/share/doc on my SuSE
box, but it's all compressed ascii files, so it doesn't
take many BYTES, even though I don't need to uncompress them
on the disk to see them (I use zless).  The very same words,
verbatim, converted to uncompressed Word documents or PDF files
would take 6-7 times as much space, I'm guessing.

------------------------------

From: TTK Ciar
Subject: Nitpicking terminology: OSS vs FS Re: A salutary lesson about open source
Date: 12 Jan 2001 23:20:05 GMT

Once upon a time, Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Nobody says Open Source (i would prefer the term Free Software) is
> perfect.  It is not. But some advantages are pointed out - like this
> one about security.

  Note: Open Source is not the same as Free Software.  Free Software
is Open Source software that uses (specifically) the GPL or LGPL to
aggressively enforce its freedom.  Open Source software is the correct
term for all software that is developed under a management model where
source code is visible to the users of the product.

  Detractors should direct their comments to ESR and RMS.

  -- TTK

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:02:59 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 10 Jan 2001

> >>Indeed. That is "nonstandard"? It strikes me as a very well defined standard.
>
> >No, "Microchannel" was an attempt to wrest back the PC platform from the
> >open market; it was a proprietary bus implemented only by IBM.
>
> It was not implemented only by IBM. It was also a standard --- not a free
> one, but one which you had to license, granted... but that doesn't make
> it any less of a standard. Quite the opposite, really.
>
> >>Have you tried recently to buy an ISA VGA card? How about a
> >>VLB EIDE controller? Does that mean these busses are "non-standard" all
> >>of a sudden?
>
> >You're over-stating the case.  Mostly by ignoring the difference between
> >an enhancement in the 'standard PC architecture' and a proprietary
> >replacement for it.
>
> Have you tried buying any of that stuff lately? If the fact that
> Microchannel cards are hard to get these days means that Microchannel
> was non-standard (as you seem to believe), then what does that make
> ISA and VLB?
>
> And what, pray tell, is "the standard PC architecture"? And if anyone
> gets to decide what it is, shouldn't it be IBM?

Micro-Channel Architecture (MCA) was a proprietary bus concocted by IBM
as a way to reclaim the PC business which was being bled-out by clone
manufacturers....or at least collect a royalty from any clone-manufacturer
who made an MCA machine.  What IBM didn't plan for was that, since the
installed base of PC in existance at that time were ISA, it made total
business sense card manufacturers to develop new cards for ISA machines
BEFORE micro-channel machines.

The main failing of Micro-channel was that it didn't offer any
significant improvement (only 2x increase in bus speed over ISA),
while "gaining" the purchaser a severe DECREASE in the range of
expansion cards to put into the machine (and also making the
purchaser REPLACE all currently owned cards if "upgrading" to MCA).

i.e. it was doomed from the get-go.

If MCA had, say, 8x bandwidth over ISA, then it would have
been enjoyed a decent lifespan.

Instead, someone else, who better understood market dynamics
and consumer's needs (and fears) came up with EISA, which allowed
the owner to keep using his old cards in a new machine...

> Bernie
> --
> Human blunders, however, usually do more to shape history
>     than human wickedness
> A.J.P. Taylor
> British historian, 1906-90

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake 7.2 and the banana peel
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:06:52 -0500

"." wrote:

> Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Oopsie!
>
> > I just rebuilt my 166MHz server with a 30GByte ATA66 drive and an ATA100
> > controller. I reinstalled Linux Mandrake 7.2, chose some options and
> > rebooted. Oh dear, we have a hung system. It won't boot, it won't continue,
> > it's totally stuck. All I could do was drop out of what looked like X and
> > nothing worked.
>
> You set up XFree incorrectly, because youre a moron.
>
> Please use windows instead.
>
> Thanks in advance,

It's a good thing Britain outlawed Handguns...

otherwise, Pete the moron would be one of those who suffers from
a self-inflicted wound from trying to "clean" a loaded weapon.

> -----.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Two Thumbs up for the AntiTrust Movie and Open Source
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:08:36 -0500

David Steinberg wrote:

> Brian Craft ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : I just came from the first showing of the Antitrust movie,
> : http://www.antitrustthemovie.com , and give it a 2 thumbs up for support
> : for the Open Source Community. It very clearly shows what Microsoft has
> : and is doing and in the end, Open Source prevails!
>
> Did you notice that they have banner adds up at ./ today?
>
> I wouldn't have thought that "open source geek" was a large enough
> demographic at which to target a movie.  Nonetheless, I will be seeing it
> this evening!  :)

Nobody ever went broke targeting those with the money.

> --
> David Steinberg                             -o)
> Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC         / \
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                _\_v

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The pros and cons of Linux vs Windows
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 23:59:18 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  hauck[at]codem{dot}com wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:16:31 GMT, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <Q2376.167345$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >> Linux is crash free compared to Windows 98 SE. However...
> >>
> >> KDE konqueror can't seem to see SMB drives on either a SAMBA server or a
> >> Windows PC.
> >
> >Actually, it works here, but if it doesn't, Caldera is paying someone to
> >implement it right.
>
> It doesn't work here with Caldera's RPMs.

The Caldera implementation is not done yet, it is in process.

> Keeps asking for user/pass
> over and over.  Maybe it has something to do with having an NT domain?

Probably.

> If I specify the path to the local Samba server, then _that_ works, but
> I can't see the neighborhood or connect to shares on the PDC.  Smbclient
> has no problems.

KDE 2.1 has no less than three different mechanisms to access SMB shares.
Since one of them is a smbclient wrapper, that one could fix your problem. Of
course KDE 2.1 is not out yet, either.

--
Roberto Alsina

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:09:21 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:93nmal$52t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >It's more of a DoS than a security issue.
> >
> > You mean an ordinary user being able to deny another user services is
> > not a security issue?
>
> <sigh> Attempting to debate with you guys is impossible.
> Do I now have to teach you to read?
>
> It's MORE. M-O-R-E, MORE of a DoS than a security issue. Security on
> the system was not compromised in any way.

Denial of Service *IS* a security issue, you fucking MORON.

M-O-R-O-N

MORON!

> Shall we then list all the DoS exploits on Linux?
>
> It was a DoS (a local one, BTW) on NT that was fixed rather quickly and
> it's over with now, so what.
>
> There have been hundreds on Linux, and most are fixed now, so what?
>
> -Chad

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux *has* the EDGE!
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:10:28 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 20:44:16 +0000, Pete Goodwin
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> How is it backwards? Just because GUI interfaces are more recent it does
> >> not *automatically* make them better.
> >
> >I was being sarcastic. CLI's are from the '70's. That doesn't make them
> >worse, just backward in time.
>
>         Actually CLI's are from the mid 90's.
>
>         The term WinDOS isn't just an attempt to be cute. It's actually

                   LoseDOS.

Using the syllable 'win' in association with Microsoft products
is an affront to the language.

>         an accurate and recent description of the state of things in the
>         Microsoft dominated novice computing market.
>
>         CLI's are only "from the 70's" if you were bold enough to ignore
>         Microsoft prior to 1995.
>
> --
>
>         Freedom != Anarchy.
>
>           Some must be "opressed" in order for their
>         actions not to oppress the rest of us.

>                                                                / | \

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: The real truth about NT
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 00:18:54 -0000

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 16:14:48 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> OTOH, any version of Windows (full install) that you can name will
>> be missing basic utilities and device drivers that any 1G Linux
>> installation (or even a 500M one) would have included.
>>
>> No WinDOS install includes the CD worth of stuff that is an office
>> suite or the several CD's worth of stuff that are the dev tools.
>
>If it did, you'd be bitching about how it was anti-competitive.

        They do that already actually, and have for quite some time.

        It's just not quite as out in the open.

        OTOH, comparing what multiple competitors do versus one one
        singlular robber baron does is meaningless. Microsoft is in
        a much different position, so different standards are infact
        unwarranted and in no way unfair.

--

        The term "popular" is MEANINGLESS in consumer computing. DOS3
          was more "popular" than contemporary Macintoshes despite the

          Network effects are everything in computing.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 00:19:59 -0000

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 16:17:16 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Very few people mastering CD's outside of the sort of enviroment
>> where there would be a special machine dedicated to the purpose
>> stress machines to the level where it should be an issue.
>
>Just kick of a kernel compile.

        Is that the best you can do?

        No wonder you can run Monopolysoft software; you have a very
        meagre notion of what constitutes a heavily loaded system.

--

        The ability to type

                ./configure
                make
                make install

        does not constitute programming skill.                  |||
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: You and Microsoft...
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 00:22:33 -0000

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 16:06:52 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <uGd76.288$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>> >"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:93in2m$adklg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >As if installing Linux via modem is feasible.
>>
>> Funny you should ask this.
>>
>> Debian will install over a modem and I just did this 2 weeks
>> ago.  I put potato on a rural PC on a farm for a farmer.
>>
>> The Debian install dials the phone, and the download takes
>> over night.  If the phone line disconnects it redials
>> and apt-get restarts where it left off.
>>
>> It's totally hands free and it doesn't miss a single bit.
>
>Right.  First, remote rural areas can't get 56K, thus you were connecting at
>speeds of under 33.6, probably under 28.8.  Let's just say 28.8.  Since
>there are 10 bits in each byte over modem (8 bits, 1 start, 1 stop bit)
>that's 2880 bytes a second.  To download 100 meg would take 9.6 hours.  Even
>a basic Linux machine will be at least 300 Meg, so that's over 27 hours, or
>more than a day.  Not "overnight".
>
>Of course you're going to suggest that useable Linux systems can be had in
>100 Meg, and to that i'd say bullshit.  Not for someone new to Linux it's

        Who cares what you say. You've already demonstrated yourself to
        have no clue in this area.

[deletia]

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:22:44 -0500

Mig wrote:

> . wrote:
>
> > Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Oopsie!
> >
> > > I just rebuilt my 166MHz server with a 30GByte ATA66 drive and an ATA100
> > > controller. I reinstalled Linux Mandrake 7.2, chose some options and
> > > rebooted. Oh dear, we have a hung system. It won't boot, it won't
> > > continue, it's totally stuck. All I could do was drop out of what looked
> > > like X and nothing worked.
> >
> > You set up XFree incorrectly, because youre a moron.
> >
> > Please use windows instead.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> Its amazing but wintrolls are the only ones that brag about how bad they
> are with computers.. Unbeliavable that some of them even consider
> themselves to be computer craftsmen and in the same post cant have anything
> work.

What else do you expect from Microsoft true-believers?

> --
> Cheers

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: you dumb. and lazy.
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 00:23:50 -0000

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 22:56:35 GMT, Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:25:02 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Sure it is. It's a 13mb behemoth whino port that is at least one
>> >version behind the Windows version and is so painfully slow that
>> >nobody in their right mind is using it.
>>
>> That still doesn't get at why anyone would particularly
>> care to run the Win32 version.
>
>Why?  Because they're running WINDOWS.  The "Linux" version is just the
>Win32 version and that painfully pathetic Windows emulator for UNIX.

        That still doesn't address the real issue.

        It seems that none of you people advocating this little 'gem'
        have any clue why someone would even want to bother with the
        thing rather than just using mediaplayer.