Linux-Advocacy Digest #425, Volume #32           Fri, 23 Feb 01 04:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited (Joshua Hesse)
  Re: Amusing Aaron Kulkis Anagrams (Brent R)
  Re: Amusing Aaron Kulkis Anagrams (Ray Chason)
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Maximum Linux Magazine Is Going Out Of Business  Ha Ha Ha (Ray Chason)
  Re: New Microsoft Ad :-) ("nuxx")
  Re: Linux Threat: non-existant (robert bronsing)
  Re: State of linux distros ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: State of linux distros ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Microsoft dying, was Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop  Linux
("Flacco")
  Re: Who said NT was stable ! ("tony roth")
  Re: State of linux distros ("Reefer")
  Re: State of linux distros (Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?=)
  Re: Hilter Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited (Gerry)
  Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited (Gerry)
  Re: The Windows guy. ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: State of linux distros ("Reefer")
  Re: Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American   Activities
Committee (Nick Condon)

From: Joshua Hesse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,talk.politics.guns,demon.local
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: 22 Feb 2001 19:18:53 GMT

In comp.sys.next.advocacy Donald R. McGregor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 :In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

 :Ian Davey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 :>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 :>>then why all of the bullet-riddled bodies in British morgues these days?
 :>
 :>Which bullet-riddled bodies are those? Don't forget, I actually live here. Can
 :>you provide some evidence that the number of bullet-riddled bodies has
 :>increased since the ban on hand guns? Should be easy for you to do if the
 :>facts are on your side.

 :http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4111096,00.html

 :Tony Thompson
 :Sunday December 31, 2000
 :The Observer

 :Gun crime in Britain is soaring to record levels: executions,
 :woundings and related incidents in the past year are set to be
 :the highest ever, an investigation by The Observer has revealed.

 :Preliminary figures show there have been more than 15,000 armed
 :offences during 2000, up by almost 10 per cent over last year.
 :The number of armed operations by police is also at a record level.

 :[...]

 :Manchester, notorious for its levels of gun crime in the early
 :Nineties, is also seeing a dramatic rise in such offences. In a
 :three-week period in September alone, seven people were shot,
 :including a 16-year-old murdered while riding his bike through
 :a park.

 :Although the use of firearms is a countrywide problem, it is most
 :acute in the capital. In the past eight weeks there have been more
 :than 35 reports of guns being fired illegally in London. The result:
 :five deaths and 12 serious woundings.

You clipped out a good line in there:

        The rate in Scotland has jumped by 20 per cent.

That settles it.  Next time I go to Scotland I'm going to take a
mace and a claymore.  However, I suspect that they don't allow
TOWs on commercial flights.

--

    "I have also mastered pomposity, even if I do say so myself." -Kryten

                 UNL Anime Club:  http://www.unl.edu/otaku

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Amusing Aaron Kulkis Anagrams
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:44:35 GMT

meow wrote:

> I've been coming up with some anagrams of Aaron Kulkis name and i
> thought id share them with you
>
> Aaron Kulis = Miserable piece of shit
> Aaron Kulis = Toss Pot
> Aaron Kulis = Argumentitive fuck wit
> Aaron Kulis = Arrogant wank stain
> Aaron Kulis = Numb nuts
>
> thats all i have so far
> I think there surely must be some more
> Anyone got any others?
>
> Meow

OK where's the joke? Those obviously aren't anagrams. Or is this thing 1
mile above my head?

I suspect that 'meow' is no older than 14 years old, and I'm totally
serious about that.
--

Happy Trails

-Brent
=============================
http://rotten168.home.att.net
=============================
ICQ# 51265871

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:42:28 -0000

meow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've been coming up with some anagrams of Aaron Kulkis name and i
>thought id share them with you

[flush]

Killfiles plonk the little wankers,
All the wankers of the world.
White and yellow, black and red,
Killfiles plonk the wankers dead.
Killfiles plonk the little wankers of the world!

*plonk*

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: 23 Feb 2001 07:58:05 GMT

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 02:26:23 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

>Don't give me that bullshit.  The United States spends 5x as
>much per pupil on Kindergarte-12th grade education as any other
>country in the world.  And to what end?

Are you making this up ? I'd love to see a cite for this. (and don't
just say "FBI")

BTW, it's misleading to use total expenses because that ignores
possible variation. I'd be interested to see what the median
and lower quartile spending figures were.

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Maximum Linux Magazine Is Going Out Of Business  Ha Ha Ha
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:58:08 -0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wiley Post) wrote:

>The thiefs at Maximum Linux magazine stole my 30.00
>subscription fee almost a year ago.
>They never sent me any magazines and now they are closing down.
>Good!!!

I bought a copy of ML once.  100% fluff.  And the copy of Storm Linux
that came with it didn't install; the install program locked up solid.

I've never had a problem installing Slackware.

Good riddance to ML.  Good riddance to Stormix.  Good riddance to bad
rubbish.

From: "nuxx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:00:38 +0800

"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> nuxx wrote:
>
> > No luck about it.  If you apply datacentre type methodologies in design
and
> > change control as you would with any Unix server, NT is very reliable.
Some
> > Oracle processes tend to leak memory which would eventually cause a
problem
> > but they are killed and re-started for cold backup purposes on my
systems,
> > so the OS stays up all the time.  Recent hardware used is stock Intel
server
> > boards with Adaptec hardware RAID.  No BSODs, no crashes, nothing
special.

> Sorry, we simply have not found this to be the case.

It's probably best you leave it to people that know what they are doing.

nuxx.

------------------------------

From: robert bronsing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Threat: non-existant
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:13:26 +0100

'Linux’s openness and flexibility make it popular. Solazzo says that’s
why IBM decided in December to invest nearly $1 billion to promote Linux
worldwide in 2001.'

from http://www-4.ibm.com/software/is/mp/linux/solazzo.html

This is from the first link I provided you with. Unless you can't
remember what 'big blue' is the conclusion must be that you either
didn't follow the link or you did and didn't like what you saw and
therefore decided to fib a bit. You decide....
And yes, the links are provided by IBM. I think that if you want to know
if someone said something, you ask that person. In this case, I 'asked'
IBM.

--
Robert Bronsing

'In the beginning, the file was without form, and void;
and emptiness was upon the face of the bits.
And the Fingers of the Author moved upon the face of the keyboard.
And the Author said: 'Let there be words', and there were words'

from the Linux System Administrators Guide

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: State of linux distros
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 08:18:52 +0000

>> A p133 can cope with NS4 and SO.
>
> SO v5.2 probably. Version 5.1 *struggled* on 128 mb of RAM. Unless I'm
> doing something wrong.

Yep 5.2

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 08:25:09 +0000

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:

>> > OR u could try to uppgrade your hardware a little bit perhaps ...this
>> > IS the year 2001 u know, 'puters are fairly cheap ;-)
>>
>> I have upgraded my computer. I have spent a lot of money on it
>> recently. I simply haven't upgraded the CPU or RAM because it works
>> fine. Why should I spend yet MORE money to upgrade bits that do easily
>> as much as I need them to?
>
> And ALWAYS try adding more memory before doing a CPU upgrade.

Not if you know what your doing. If everythings going too slow, you're
not thrashing and the mem usage isn't too high, you need a faster CPU.

-ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Flacco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft dying, was Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop  Linux
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 02:39:20 -0500

> > Be careful what you wish for. How will you advocate, er, I mean who are
you
> > going to smear once MS and its 'lusers' are gone?
>
> Whichever asshole comes up next.

Well put.

------------------------------

From: "tony roth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who said NT was stable !
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:10:24 -0800

Creating a very stable nt4 system is quite easy (I have systems with
terabytes of data on them with zero downtime in 2000).   When I walk into a
site that's having problems with nt I first ask what sp are you running.  If
I get anything beyond a deer in the headlights look and they say sp6a.   I
then know at least they've done some of their homework.   I then challenge
them to prove that sp6a has been maintained.  At this point I usually get
the deer/headlights look and they ask me what I mean.   At least 40 percent
of the time after I validate system files I'll find key files that have been
overwritten by non sp6a files ie they've utilized the nt server disks
without redoing the sp6a...

    I'll admit the service pack system for nt4 sucks and it does cause alot
of problems.  These problems can be eliminated by good systems management.
Now good systems management should be a given but in this day and age of
hurry up,  get it in production mentalilty things just don't get managed
proberly!

my .000000002 cents worth

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Reefer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 08:43:32 GMT

"Masha Ku'Inanna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
news:973qo7$7dg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> A superior OS can make do with whatever hardware platform it is installed
> on, and can utilize every ounce of power from that hardware, and not just
> run with mediocre performance on greater hardware requirements.
>
> Especially when a Linux/UNIX box at 133mhz can out-perform a P-II Win2k
> server in terms of stability, uptime, and performance.
>
> Windows will never push hardware to its full potential. It is a superior
> platform only when you want to bog down powerful hardware with incredible
> bloat.

Try to install and run Solaris 8 (INTEL) on a P133 with 128 MB of RAM

Or is it that Sol8 is "bloatware" in that case to?

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 02:08:27 +0100

Reefer wrote:

> ah, but C'MON.....like i said before; this is the year 2001, and anyone
> running a 'puter with less than a PII 300 (or compatible) and 128 MB RAM
> in it, need some serious reality check, u cant wip a dead horse like that
> for ever ...but then again; Win2kpro works just fine with a P133, just
> make sure to have 'nuff memory in it...

Are you on dope?
I do have a dual Pentium 200 here around with 64MB ECC-RAM.
The machine is all SCSI.
This litle thingy runs perfectly well with linux, it works as a server
for just about everything here.
Just to decommision it would be plain dumb, although Windows runs
quite shoddy on it (it had NT4 once, unsuable).
In addition, there is still that small 486-thingy around. THAT will never
run NT, W2K or Whistler. For the moment it runs Win95 (for a legacy
ISDN-Application). It did already run linux without problems. But
probably it will just control part of the model-railroad in the future.

Peter

--
The sticker on the side of the box said "Supported Platforms: Win 95,
Win NT 4.0 or better", so clearly Linux was a supported platform.

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,demon.local
Subject: Re: Hilter Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gerry)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 02:45:34 -0600

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You sure are a shit-for brains.
>
> Looking for immortalization in my .sig?

If all it takes to be in your extensive signature is to humiliate you, I
think we should all be in there.

You take yourself WAAAY to seriously!

*plonk!*

--
A: Aaron Kulkis is an immature retarded fool

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gerry)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 02:45:35 -0600

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Most any country.  Law-abiding citizens are not the ones commiting
> the crimes.

I think your view of the world it too polarized.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://homepage.mac.com/gbeggs/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.GerryICQ.com/

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 08:46:03 +0000

>>pipes can solve that problem if multitasking is used. They can not if
>>single tasking is used. Therefore single tasking pipes have only a
>>subset of the functionality of mltitasking. Therefore in order to solve
>>all computations that pipes are able to solve, multitasking is required.
>
> This does not imply that pipes require multitasking. It merely shows
> that a pipe with multitasking has more functionality than a pipe without
>  multitasking. If you're using shell syntax and sending the input of one
> job to the output of another as a definition, then even dos pipes
> satisfy the definition.

[in th context of shell piping]

No it doesn't because the emulation of pipes proveides a subset of the
functionality, so they are not pipes. You could say a 286 was a pentium
because it provides a subset of the functionality, but that is false. So
it is false that DOS pipes are UNIX pipes. Since what UNIX has is pipes,
what dos has can not be pipes.

> Since you haven't bothered to quote a definition, one can only conclude
> that you're making one up, and then using that to conclude that dos
> does not "have real pipes". That's an entirely circular argument,
> because you've chosen an arbitrary definition of a "pipe".

I'm using the definition of how data is piped between applications using
shell syntax. I am not mking up a definition because I could use the
eaxmples I qouted on a real computer.

>>> Moreover, your example does not say anything about pipes, because you
>>> are working with a completely ficticious definition of what a "pipe"
>>> is.
>>
>>Eh? I have used shell piping syntax. I could write those programs and
>>run it under UNIX. I'm not using a definition, I'm using the real thing.
>
> Shell piping syntax is an example of piping.

Correct.

> It is not "the real thing",

Incorrect. It is the real thing.

> it is only a small part of what pipes are.

Correct

> You can do a lot of things
> with pipes, many of which have nothing to do with plugging one filter
> into another.

Correct.

> Have you heard the parable of the elephant and the blind men ?  Well
> you're one of the blind men.

No, I haven't.

> Come back and talk about pipes when you understand what they actually
> are.

Come back and argue when you understand the principles of proving
something.

>>I'm using piping syntax as define under DOS and (modern) UNIX shells. I
>>know what it is. How would I know what | did if I didn't know what pipes
>>did?
>
> The blind man also knows what an elephant is -- it's "very much  like a
> snake"

> Again -- piping syntax is NOT piping.

It uses piping.

> It's a small subset  of the
> functionality offered by pipes.

So? Under this small subset of functionality, I have shown that what DOS
has does not work properly. Since I have shown one case in which the DOS
emulation of pipes fails, then dos does not have pipes as they are
defined in UNIX. Therefore DOS does not have pipes.

Remember: to prove something false, you simply need ONE piece of hard
evidence to the contrary. I have shown this, so DOS does not have pipes.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Reefer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 08:51:19 GMT

"Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Are you on dope?
> I do have a dual Pentium 200 here around with 64MB ECC-RAM.

Think u are...im talking about a SINGEL proc machine, u have a DUAL...spot
the difference!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)
Subject: Re: Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American
Activities Committee
Date: 23 Feb 2001 09:01:32 GMT

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>Agreed, you didn't say we should use Microsoft (we could, for instance,
>use MacOS).  But whom would we sue? Linus?  The US Government?  The
>corporations selling Linux to China?  (Are there any?)
>
>And who should sue?  I suppose we could cobble up a class-action
>coalition.  Or is this a criminal suit?
>
>Any person knowingly contributing to the cause of Open Source
>might be liable for helping improve the quality of a piece of
>software that is being (or can be!) used to oppress the people of China.
>I am one of those people (I have contributed a minor piece ot
>the Wine project); there are thousands of others.
>
>Spot The Flaw *here*.

Absolutely. We can generalise from here, too, we are not confined to Linux
or even software. For example, do Michael Faraday, Ben Franklin, et al
share the blame for the existence of electrical torture equipment? Hmm. So
are there any innocent people? Doesn't look like it, does it?
--
Nick