Linux-Advocacy Digest #425, Volume #33            Fri, 6 Apr 01 22:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: XP = eXPerimental (Michael Vester)
  Re: XP = eXPerimental (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised (Ray Chason)
  Re: XP = eXPerimental (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Microsoft Refunds?? (Dave Martel)
  Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised (Matthew Gardiner)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("Roger Perkins")
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("Roger Perkins")
  Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a  luser...  (was Re:
Chinese airforce adopted Win2k infrastructure) ("Stephen S. Edwards II")
  Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a ("Stephen S. Edwards
II")
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("Roger Perkins")
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("Roger Perkins")
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("Roger Perkins")
  Re: Communism ("Roger Perkins")
  Re: Communism ("Roger Perkins")
  Re: Communism (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Communism ("Roger Perkins")
  Chimp in TV program downloads Linux to talk (Martha H Adams)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Communism ("Roger Perkins")
  Re: Galeon, Galeon, rah, rah, rah (was: Too expensive, too invasive) (Bob Hauck)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Communism ("Roger Perkins")
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("billh")
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("billh")
  Re: XP = eXPerimental (Shun Yan Cheung)

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: XP = eXPerimental
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 11:11:23 -0700

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > | thought it meant ExPert?
> >
> > Naw...It means eXtra Profit...
>
> X-ray (your) Possesions?
> eXamine (your) Passport?
> eXcoriate (your) Pudendum?
> eXit (all) Programs?
> Xerxes-like Profits?
> Xenophobic Posturing?
> eXcess Pee?
>
> --
> [ Do Not Make Illegal Copies of This Message ]

Extra Problems

--
Michael Vester
A credible Linux advocate

"The avalanche has started, it is
too late for the pebbles to vote"
Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 01:11:50 GMT

"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:

> Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> : Windows is just the instable version of Linux for users who are too
> : dumb to handle the real thing.
>
> The unstable version of GNU/Linux isn't called Windows...
> it's called "RedHat".

I'm running RedHat 7.1 beta called "fisher".  Sometimes (once every twenty
or so logoffs) the video locks up the whole machine.  Whaddaya expect from
a beta?  Otherwise it is great, and I won't bother upgrading until 7.l
comes out for real.

RedHat has problems, but none are really that major.  Certainly
not as frustrating as using Windoze 2000 Pro with Office 2000 and
Visio 2000 -- a most imperfect combination.

Chris

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 01:09:25 -0000

"JS PL" <jspl@jsplom> wrote:

>"Ray Chason"
>>Microsoft has money.  I don't.
>
>That's the main beef the anti-ms crowd has with Microsoft.

Quoting me out of context is not the most intelligent response in
the world, even if it is about what I expect from Wintrolls.  Or are
you arguing that it's a *good* thing that Microsoft can effectively
buy a favorable outcome in a lawsuit?

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 01:13:59 GMT

Charles Lyttle wrote:

> Ermine Todd III wrote:
> >
> > eXtremely Productive!
> > --
> > --ET--
> > Good Sense is Seldom "Common"
> >
> > "The Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9al6fp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >

> > > X-rated Porn?
> > >

> X-lax Productivity?
>
> --
> Russ Lyttle
> "World Domination through Penguin Power"
> The Universal Automotive Testset Project at
> <http://home.earthlink.net/~lyttlec>

X-Windows emulation Product
eX Productivity

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Refunds??
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 07:00:37 -0600

On Fri, 06 Apr 2001 00:28:08 GMT, "Joseph Ogiba"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Maybe you can tell me where to get the parts to build my own laptop?
>>
>Go to ajump.com. They sell bare bone (no OS,CPU,memory or HD) notebooks.

Yeah, wow, two whole no-name models and neither with a 15" screen. :-(

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 13:26:41 +1200

hmm 2 days and yet no reply.  I guess "JS PL" has realised how stupid his/her
comments were, and has now set off to make up a new alias.  Sounds very
familiar to Claire Lynn/Flatfish/Jeff (care to add more).

Matthew Gardiner

--
Disclaimer:

I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you do not like it go: [rm -rf /home/luser] and
have a nice day :)

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:25:02 -0700

Actually, the Bible as we know it is a compilation of stories that the
catholic church - the only Christina church in the world at the time - based
on investigation and verification.  It wasn't written as a complete book.
And many stories of Christianity didn't make it in because they couldn't be
suitably confirmed.  Interesting process.

Roger
AIRBORNE!"

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:26:37 -0700

100 times more likely?  Where do you get your stats or is this just an
ignorant, emotional statement?  I've killed but never any noncombatants.

Roberto, you aren't up to this discussion.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a  luser...
(was Re: Chinese airforce adopted Win2k infrastructure)
Date: 7 Apr 2001 01:27:15 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: Chad Everett wrote:
: >
: > On Thu, 05 Apr 2001 17:14:41 GMT, chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: > >"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: > >
: > >>Sun Tzu, you ain't.
: > >
: > >Twisting and writhing in the wind.  Anything, ANYTHING rather than
: > >just "answering the damn question."
: > >
: >
: > OK, OK.  I know.  Kulkis is using rn on a Sun 3/60 running SunOS 4.2.
: > He's rounded up the rn source and re-compiled it to look like
: > Mozilla on a Win98 box, although he swears up and down that he

: Something like that.  The details are wrong, but you grasp the
: basic idea.

How can you tell?  You have no frame of reference.

: > is running SuSE linux on a AMD 500MHZ machine.

: Actually, I do also have a SuSE 6.4 machine.  I'll be building
: another shortly, and putting 7.1 on both, and then adding clustering
: stuff.

Clustering "stuff"?  Wow, he's actually beginning
to use words like "stuff".  Could the facts be any
more apparent?

: > Won't be long before we start hearing how Kulkis went to MIT:
: >
: > http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/nr/2001/ocw.html

: I got my education at Purdue.

You misspelled "Podunk".

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: 7 Apr 2001 01:29:50 GMT

Martin Eden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis says...

: Jesus Christ on a stick, kook-boy; Are you still going at this? I would have
: thought you'd have shut your fat mouth by now.

Hey, use some common sense here, Martin.  Of course
he's still here... his mommy hasn't called him
downstairs for dinner yet, and "Full House" isn't
on television until 7:00pm.

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:30:09 -0700

The School of the Americas teaches a lot of people.  Some, when they come
here, aren't nice people. When they go home they continue to be not nice
people.  Some come from cultures that promote violence as a part of their
lifestyle, such as many South American nations do.  To blame that on going
to a school is to ignore your own failures in your culture.  When you have a
problem, start looking for the answer in ever increasing circles around you
desk, the saying goes.  You are very quick to find fault with us but slow to
find fault with yourself.

I think your country - whatever that is - has a problem and you are trying
to blame that on the US.  Pitiful.

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:32:40 -0700

Don't be an ass, Roberto.  If you can't talk like a man then go someplace
else.  This is a professional ng and you are being treated professionally.
If you can't hack it, go away.

Roger
AIRBORNE!

"Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> billh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Roberto Alsina"
> >
> >> Sure. In my life, over 30K civilians were killed by officers of an army
> >> leaded by alumni of the "School of the Americas".
> >
> >By definition, alumi of the School of the Americas are not US citizens.
Try

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:33:38 -0700

Just a point, Ivan - bursting radius of lighting is 15 meters.

Roger
AIRBORNE!

news:9alnmm$sil$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:36:22 -0700

You miss my point.  Power is simple power.  How it is used is the key. This
is like saying weapons are wrong.  It all depends on how they are used.

And you should pay more attention to what is posted.  I didn't say power was
right.  I said your statement was foolish.

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:37:44 -0700

And your post doesn't answer the question.

Roger
AIRBORNE!

"chrisv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >International law allows for war.  You may not like it, but it's legal.
And

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 7 Apr 2001 01:39:51 GMT

Roger Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>You miss my point.

Could be. Perhaps I could read you easier if you replied like
someone who has used Usenet for more than three days? You know,
putting the responses in chronological order? It would make reading
your stuff way easier.

> Power is simple power.  How it is used is the key. This
>is like saying weapons are wrong.  It all depends on how they are used.

If you take a position, you have to accept where that position takes you.

>And you should pay more attention to what is posted.  I didn't say power was
>right.  I said your statement was foolish.

If "power is not right" is foolish, either power is right, or you are a fool.
Perhaps you are a fan of ternary logic?

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:40:47 -0700

Roberto, your immature responses are starting to bore.  Are you 15 or so?
You talk that way.  One last time, if you want to discuss with adults, act
like one.  If you want to act like aaron I"ll killfile you too.

Your obvious bias against the US ignores the many, many good things this
country has done for others over the years.  Such as fighting Europe's wars
but going home when they were over.  I know of damn few nations who give
back what they have bled for.  What is your country? Let's try alittle
one-sided analysis of it for awhile.

Roger
AIRBORNE!

"Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Roger Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >International law allows for war.  You may not like it, but it's legal.
And
> >that is the point.  You don't like it. Do you see killing to stop Hitler
as
> >immoral?
>
> It allows war in some circunstances. Specifically, noone declared war on
Hitler

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martha H Adams)
Subject: Chimp in TV program downloads Linux to talk
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 01:40:35 GMT

Just seen on television, and this is so good I have to share it around.
The program appears in the TV schedule as,

     The Lone Gunmen: "Maximum Beyers" 62887

and since I don't follow television much, I can't put it into any
perspective.  The program seems to be a slightly wacky / corny kind of a
spoof.  Tonight's piece has a chimp who can't talk because chimps don't
have the vocal apparatus for it.  So someone gives him a laptop, and he
downloads a Linux and a text-to-speech program, which he then uses with
amazing effectiveness.  Notice: *Linux* not messydos or winblows.  Lots
of fun to watch, and the Linux has just come by again (I have the show
still going as I type).  Lots of fun!

Cheers -- Martha Adams

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 7 Apr 2001 01:42:12 GMT

Roger Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Actually, the Bible as we know it is a compilation of stories that the
>catholic church - the only Christina church in the world at the time - based
>on investigation and verification.

That's only partly true about the new testament. The old testament has
been a religious book for the jewish since the years ran backwards.

> It wasn't written as a complete book.
>And many stories of Christianity didn't make it in because they couldn't be
>suitably confirmed.  Interesting process.

Almost nothing in the bible is "suitably confirmed". Or you believe they checked
for historical references on the parting of the red sea?

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:43:36 -0700

War is not funny.  Either starting them or having to finish them.  Neither
are they simple, which you seem to think.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Galeon, Galeon, rah, rah, rah (was: Too expensive, too invasive)
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 01:43:58 GMT

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:23:20 +0000, Matthias Warkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>It was the Fri, 06 Apr 2001 04:43:41 GMT...
>...and Bob Hauck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>  I run Konqueror under Blackbox just fine with no KDE desktop running.
>>  I do have all of KDE2 installed though, because I do use it sometimes,
>>  so I can't tell you exactly how much of it you need.
>
>Qt, the libraries and the KDE base package is enough. However, I must
>confess that when I tried it, I was less than impressed by Konqueror.
>Probably I've been spoilt by Mozilla, which works fine on my machine.

Mozilla works fine here too, but it is quite noticeably slower than
Opera or Konqueror.  Especially the former.  The mail client especially
seems to take forever to get started.

I looked at Galeon, but didn't really feel into installing all the
Gnomish bits it needs.  So I seem to use Opera most of the time,
switching to one of the others for the few sites it doesn't work with
yet.

>- tabbed browsing (best thing since sliced bread)

You mean the buttons bar with your open sites on it?  Yeah, I like that.

>- display of animated GIFs is configurable

Opera lets you turn off the animation, which really cuts down the
annoyance factor.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 7 Apr 2001 01:44:39 GMT

Roger Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>100 times more likely?  Where do you get your stats or is this just an
>ignorant, emotional statement?

Well, I answered that in another post. It's an extremeley conservative
number.

> I've killed but never any noncombatants.

Just another proof that in the army you learn to write but not to read:

Quoting myself: "I am 100 times more likely to be killed
by you, or by one of your comrades, or by someone trained by
your comrades to kill people like me".

>Roberto, you aren't up to this discussion.

And you are not up to third grade reading level, but I won't
shut you out because of it.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:46:13 -0700

(sigh)  And your statement is ignorant, not provocative.  A mob has not
control.  An army uses controlled violence for political ends.  I say again,
if you are going to post here at least do some reading.  You obviously have
not idea of what an army's position is in the political process and your
history is skewed as well.

Really, Roberto, you should lurk and learn alittle before you try and take
an ignorant stand.  You would look less foolish.  You seem to be
intelligent, ignorance is the state of not knowing.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 7 Apr 2001 01:49:36 GMT

Roger Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The School of the Americas teaches a lot of people.  Some, when they come
>here, aren't nice people. When they go home they continue to be not nice
>people.
> Some come from cultures that promote violence as a part of their
>lifestyle, such as many South American nations do.  To blame that on going
>to a school is to ignore your own failures in your culture.  When you have a
>problem, start looking for the answer in ever increasing circles around you
>desk, the saying goes.  You are very quick to find fault with us but slow to
>find fault with yourself.

Erm. Excuse me, but I am not the one who sees no wrong in everything my
country has done in the past, that would be you. Strangely enough, I see
that some men in my country were pricks. Those men's speeches were a lot
like yours. Those men's politics were a lot like yours. Those men's
love of guns was a lot like yours.

Those men went to an academy sponsored by your employer.

I see a connection. Apparently you don't.

Perhaps you don't know that one of the things the School of the Americas
thaught was urban counterinsurgence? Well, I've seen it in action.
Applied by people that seems to be a lot like you. Trained on it by
your employer.

>I think your country - whatever that is - has a problem and you are trying
>to blame that on the US.  Pitiful.

We had a problem. As soon as we got rid of all the idiots that believed
that militaristic crap, things got a lot better. Then we put them in
prison. Some got away, and now we are putting them back in. We are fixing
our problem. You don't see the rotten core of what you stand for.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 01:49:51 GMT

"Roberto Alsina"

> Almost nothing in the bible is "suitably confirmed". Or you believe they
checked
> for historical references on the parting of the red sea?

Yet you use it.  If you truly believe what you just posted above, you use of
the Bible in an attempt to bolster your arguments speaks volumes about you.

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 01:51:14 GMT

"Roberto Alsina"

> >100 times more likely?  Where do you get your stats or is this just an
> >ignorant, emotional statement?
>
> Well, I answered that in another post. It's an extremeley conservative
> number.

You have still failed to answer the question at hand.  Where did you get
your statistics?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shun Yan Cheung)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Date: 6 Apr 2001 21:53:13 -0400

In article <9al6fp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
The Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>X-rated Porn?

Are there any non-X-rated Porn ? :-)

--
``Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly''