From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
Subject: Re: Benchmark tests - who cares?
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:18:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Basically, I'm wondering if some people in here are "bandwagon" Linux fans.
>You know, they like it just because it performs well on benchmarks.  If
>FreeBSD scored 100 worse than Windows on a webbench result, I would keep on
>lovin' my OS!  It's because I know that it is an open source product, my
>OS would have a tremendous future ahead of it.

I think it's more of a reaction to all the benchmarks that have been used
against Linux here in the past by the obsessive Windows users who keep
posting in COLA. It's the old equivalent of rubbing their faces in it. Not
that it's really necessary of course, but at the very least it might shut some
of them up for a while.

ian.

 \ /
(@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
/(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
 | |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:06:20 GMT

Jan,

> I just don't know that certain. But what I do know is that, yes, IIS was
> generating the content.

to continue the detective work, Microsoft's SWC/TWC source code contradicts
this claim. Check out DEFINE.H in Microsoft's TWC/SWC Spec source code
package, it says:

    #define SERVER_SOFTWARE_NAME    "TWC/SWC 3.0"

in DYNAMIC.C you can see how the TWC/SWC code creates a HTTP reply [?] in the
InitSpec( ) function:

    QueryServerSoftware(ServerSoftware);

So, according to Microsoft itself, the web server used in this test was
"TWC/SWC 3.0". It was probably changed to "IIS 5.0 with SWC 3.0, API: TWC
3.0" later on, for marketing reasons. This was done perhaps to avoid uneasy
questions: "why is IIS 5.0 so slow? Is Microsoft going to fix all performance
problems by moving benchmarks into the kernel?". Exactly those questions are
being asked here and now :-)

    Thomas

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: OS-X GUI on Linux?
Date: 15 Jan 2001 14:28:14 GMT

Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> It would be easier making X run on top of Quartz than on top of nothing,
>>> since X would not need drivers (it uses the drivers through Quartz),
>>> much like, say eXceed on NT.
>>

>> X already has drivers for Apple hardware coming out of its ears.  It works
>> just fine.  The only sticking point would be the port, which to my knowledge
>> has already happened.

> But if you're running X on top of Quartz, you would go through the
> quartz API, and not access the hardware directly.

Theoretically you could shut off quartz and run X solo.

>> Though I cant think of one good reason to run X on top of quartz.

> I can think of plenty.
> It would mean that you could port other UNIX GUI programs easily

Honestly, I cannot think of one UNIX GUI application that doesnt have at least
an equivalent under OSX.

> it would mean that you could put things on your display from other machines.

Which nearly everyone does not need.  If you want that sort of "server"
functionality, just use real unix.

> Personally I'd rather Quartz ran on top of X. That way, all Quartz apps
> would have remote display capabilities, which for me would be preferable.

Ever look at an mpeg movie streamed through X to a server installation?

Its terrible.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A transfinite number of monkeys)
Subject: Re: Why Linux won't get far in Luxembourg's comapanies.
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:34:44 GMT

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 21:33:50 +0100, Bartek Kostrzewa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: My friend's father has a small company, he asked me to give him a proposal
: for a file server (serving 8 computers with 500MB/day/PC), so I built a
: server for 1500$ with SCSI, AMD Duron 750, 256 MB of RAM and a 100 Mbit NIC,
: of course, I told him I'd install Linux and set up SAMBA for file serving
: (the company is 100% M$ based). When he heard the price he said: "What?
: That's far too cheap! I need to spend at least 7500$ on it, so I can reduce
: my tax charges at the end of the year!" Now he bought a Win2k Server based
: Compaq Proline server powered by an 933Mhz PIII, 256MB of RDRAM and 60GB
: RAID-10  (4 30GB 10K rpm SCSI harddrives in RAID mode, stripped and imaged
: together).... and that for 8 computer low-profile file-sharing.

Ok, he needed to spend at least a certain amount, and you couldn't manage
to do that?  You need a serious upgrade to your spec'ing skills.

: Even with the maximum service option possible (RedHat) the Linux-based
: soultion wouldn't have cost enough...

All well & fine, but look at the *hardware* cost differences between your
Duron box, vs. this Compaq machine.  Heck, I know of *TAPE DRIVES* that can
add $5000 to the bill.  Don't blame your own failure on Linux.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: 15 Jan 2001 14:41:06 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>  wrote
>> on 14 Jan 2001 20:39:41 GMT
>> <93t2qd$gob$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> >Let me know when you can run w2k on a 244 node S/390 cluster.
>>
>> Would www.bochs.com work? :-)

> To (.):

> Let me know when Linux even appears on any major industry benchmarks
> or shows itself beating the heavyweights in any of the major enterprise
> arenas.

Plainly:

Cost of a 4 machine, quad processor W2K cluster, including licensing for
all software nessesary to serve websites that contain lots of fun doohickeys
like "cold fusion":

180,000 dollars

Cost of 4 machine, quad processor linux cluster that does the same thing:

110,000 dollars.

Cost, per year, of the 3 NT admins who run the W2K cluster:

240,000 dollars.

Cost, per year, of the 1 linux admin who runs the linux cluster:

60,000 dollars.

Number of high traffic, complex, full of frills websites that the W2K
cluster can support:

1900.

Number of high traffic, complex, full of frills websites that the linux
cluster can support:

24,000.

Yearly revenue generated by 1900 W2K sites:

3.42 million dollars

Yearly revenue generated by 24,000 linux sites: (you can charge less per site,
per month)

28 million dollars.

This is based on personal experience and the experience of 5 collegues
in the field.

Do the math.  With what todays market is doing (which is dying a slow,
horrible death), the choice is quite clear.

=====.

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:35:02 GMT

I don't see a lot of people in this news group putting down FreeBSD. In
fact, I have seen more posts from Linux users in support of FreeBSD. It
is another OS choice. Just because Linux is the current favorite from
the open source comunity does not put down any other project. Infact, I
think that FreeBSD has been helped a great deal because of the
popularity of Lunux.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> All the bad benchmark test results in the world couldn't make me
dislike my
> OS.  Basically, Linux users are kind of spoiled, because their OS is
so much
> better than Windows when it comes to stability, security, and
performance on
> the specweb.
>
> OK, so I run FreeBSD.  But, it is the open source cousin to Linux, so
the
> same principle applies equally to FreeBSD and Linux.  There isn't a
benchmark
> test result in the world that could make me not love FreeBSD.  I think
we all
> remember a time when Linux wasn't all that great, maybe 5, 6, 7 years
ago.
> But did that stop people from loving Linux?  Hell no!
>
> Basically, I'm wondering if some people in here are "bandwagon" Linux
fans.
> You know, they like it just because it performs well on benchmarks.
If
> FreeBSD scored 100 worse than Windows on a webbench result, I would
keep on
> lovin' my OS!  It's because I know that it is an open source product,
my
> OS would have a tremendous future ahead of it.
>
> All you see references to in here are benchmarks, as if it were the
ultimate
> trait for judging an OS.  But, it was *love* that made open source
great ($1
> to John Lennon).  Open source OSes (FreeBSD and Linux) overtook and
conquered
> Microsoft because the Linux community was based on love.  Micros**t,
OTOH,
> was based on avarice and hate.
>
> So, I say, the hell with benchmarks!  Repeat after me:  "I love my OS
no
> matter how good or bad it performs on a stupid benchmark!"  It is then
that
> you know you are a good advocate, not a bandwagon advocate!
>
> OK, so I admit my post was stupid.  But, I just had to react to some
of these
> people in here who base their love for Linux on benchmark superiority,
and
> the fact that 2.4.0 is the best kernel ever.  Just love Linux for
being
> Linux.  With true OS love, nothing else matters.  I love FreeBSD.  I'm
sure
> y'all love Linux in the same manner!

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:05:39 GMT

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:36:01 -0500, Gary Hallock
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The sort of contradicts the argument that Linux has no quality
>software.   DB2 runs on Linux.  Gee, you walked right into that
>one!
>
>Gary

DB2 is just what I need running on my home system.

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: One case where Linux has the edge
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:09:19 GMT

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 21:52:30 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim
Richardson) wrote:

>Use pan, or I think Knode (or is it knews?). Course, it's a trivial matter for
>slrn+leafnode also, but pan is about as simple as it gets.

pan would be nice if it worked.
leafnode+slrn is an abortion of a way to read news offline. It doesn't
even expire articles with consistancy (read the readme with Leafnode)
and it's difficult to back up retrieve articles you might have missed,
change properties of groups on the fly and so forth.

>maybe it's a multidisk drive?

I suppose.
Still it's not high on my list. I would rather have a decent browser.

>like apache? emacs and vim? the wealth of databases?

Typical home applications.

> Maybe the apps *you* use are not available on linux, but the ones I do are,
>and they are a damn sight easier to use from linux than they are from windows
>(if they are even available on windows without mortgaging your house)

To each his own.