From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Linux envy Microsoft?
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:31:29 -0500

"R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" wrote:
> >

> > > Jessie James was considered to be a
> > > hero by most of the homesteaders and
> > > farmers in Kansas and Missouri because
> > > the railroads and banks exploited the
> > > homesteaders and appeared to be above
> > > the law.  James would take a modest
> > > amount of money, but he would also burn
> > > the mortgages.
> > >
> > > The Dillinger gang and the Barrow gang
> > > were often protected by farmers and
> > > local who had already been forced to
> > > give up their farms and become
> > > sharecroppers because of the Great Depression.
> > >
> > > We now live in a world where cash is
> > > little more than "government green
> > > stamps", and the "Real Money" is the
> > > bits in the bank's corporate computers.
> > > We live in a world where SWIFT moves more
> > > cash in a few minutes than the
> > > government prints in an entire year.
> >
> > Scary, isn't it.
>
> Not nearly as scary as the fact that Microsoft has
> managed to convince a number of strategic banks to
> use Windows 2000 as the server to process these
> transactions.  These are scheduled to be deployed
> sometime later this year.

I smell class-action lawsuits....

> No governmnet oversight, no FDIC actuaries, no
> compliance checking of the Microsoft code.  The
> bank code would be regulated, but the Microsoft
> code could be running ActiveX controls.
>
> Sleep well. :-)

uh.....think I'll start investing in pharmaceutical companies...
specifically those who have patents on tranquilizers.

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> --
> Rex Ballard - Sr I/T Systems Architect
> Linux Advocate, Internet Pioneer
> http://www.open4success.com
> Linux - 80 million satisfied users worldwide
> and growing at over 9%/month! (recalibrated 01/14/00)
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake in VMware in Windows 2000 - HELP!
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:33:56 -0500

rnwalker wrote:

> I am pulling my hair out trying to get Linus Mandrake to run!
>
> I installed VMware 2.03 inside my Windows 2000 box, 128mb, PIII 500, ADSL,
> D-Link card.  This is a stand-alone system in my home.
> I have installed Redhat twice and gave up on that.  Tonight I did 2 installs
> of Mandrake 7.2 and I am ready to scream.
>
> First, during the install, it asked for the second CD and rejected that.  I
> extracted the files from the ISO and burned them so maybe that is the
> problem and I can live with that.  When it asked for the 2nd CD, I hit
> cancel and the install continued.
>
> When we got to the network part I said I had ADSL and the install started
> doing its thing.  It got to the network card and gave me the following error
> "insmod'ing module lance failed at /usr/bin/perl-Install/modules.pm line 479
> No Ethernet adapter has been detected on your system".  Bridging is enabled
> in VMware and running in services.
>
> During setup it asked for a root pasword and confirmation.  I gave it
> "catlove".  It then asked for a user and I gave it "meesha" as the user and
> "catlove" again as the password.  I hit "accept user" and then done.
>
> The install said it could automatically log one user on at startup so I
> selected "meesha".
>
> After reboot, it waits about 3 minutes at "starting ADSL".  It asks for a
> login that it was suppose to do automatically.  I give it meesha / catlove
> and it logs me in and sits at the root prompt in text mode.
>
> What happened to this fancy interface?  Is this VMware that is causing my
> troubles or Mandrake?  Any help would be appreciated.  I am sure as soon as
> I get this going, my problems will only have just started!

If you can't get Linux to run...how did you install VMware?

By the way, Mandrake is practically foolproof.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake and Diamond Viper - No Screens Found
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:36:28 -0500

rnwalker wrote:

> So I did myself another installation and keft it simple.  Installed the
> minimum (300mb) amount of components, no Internet connection instead of
> ADSL.  During the video card install, the screen defaulted to no device, I
> selected Diamond Viper 770, this being the card I have.  It has a TNT2
> chipset.
>
> After setup and first reboot, the OS stayed at the prompt after login.  I
> ran startx and here is the message I get:
>
> (II) N; driver for Nvidia chipsets...
> (EE) No devices detected
> Fatal server error
> No screens found
> X connection to 0.0 broken
>
> This being my 3rd installation now, does this mean my video card is not
> supported even though it is listed on the install menu?  What do I do next?

Try RTFM(*)

VMware calls on the installer to specify certain VIRTUAL hardware models,
NOT the actual hardware...this applies ESPECIALLY to sound and video cards.

(*) READING THE FUCKING MANUAL....

> "rnwalker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:YW996.111315$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I am pulling my hair out trying to get Linus Mandrake to run!
> >
> > I installed VMware 2.03 inside my Windows 2000 box, 128mb, PIII 500, ADSL,
> > D-Link card.  This is a stand-alone system in my home.
> > I have installed Redhat twice and gave up on that.  Tonight I did 2
> installs
> > of Mandrake 7.2 and I am ready to scream.
> >
> > First, during the install, it asked for the second CD and rejected that.
> > extracted the files from the ISO and burned them so maybe that is the
> > problem and I can live with that.  When it asked for the 2nd CD, I hit
> > cancel and the install continued.
> >
> > When we got to the network part I said I had ADSL and the install started
> > doing its thing.  It got to the network card and gave me the following
> error
> > "insmod'ing module lance failed at /usr/bin/perl-Install/modules.pm line
> 479
> > No Ethernet adapter has been detected on your system".  Bridging is
> enabled
> > in VMware and running in services.
> >
> > During setup it asked for a root pasword and confirmation.  I gave it
> > "catlove".  It then asked for a user and I gave it "meesha" as the user
> and
> > "catlove" again as the password.  I hit "accept user" and then done.
> >
> > The install said it could automatically log one user on at startup so I
> > selected "meesha".
> >
> > After reboot, it waits about 3 minutes at "starting ADSL".  It asks for a
> > login that it was suppose to do automatically.  I give it meesha / catlove
> > and it logs me in and sits at the root prompt in text mode.
> >
> > What happened to this fancy interface?  Is this VMware that is causing my
> > troubles or Mandrake?  Any help would be appreciated.  I am sure as soon
> as
> > I get this going, my problems will only have just started!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:37:50 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 00:06:50 -0500, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Charlie Ebert wrote:

> >> By certain distribution you are refering to the Caldera one.
> >>
> >> Nobody else shipped the beta of the 2.4 kernel.
> >
> >Actually, SuSE 7.0 has both a very recent 2.2 kernal AND a 2.4.test-xx kernel.
>
>         Is that an installation option? Is 2.4 the default? Is there
>         any warning given when you attempt to install it? Is it just
>         an rpm you can use?

Don't know...I didn't buy SuSE 7.0...it's just listed on the box as having
both 2.2.13 or 2.2.14 and 2.4.test-whatever...

I'm waiting for suse to put out a 2.4.actual_release_number distro.

> --
>
>   >
>   > ...then there's that NSA version of Linux...
>
>   This would explain the Mars polar lander problem.
>
>                                         Kyle Jacobs, COLA

>                                                                / | \

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Server Saga
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:31:36 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Then why waste everybody's time with this?

You consider the problems I found a waste of time? No wonder Linux is
stuck on the desktop sidelines!

--
---
Pete

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Some things are easier in Linux
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:48:03 -0500

Donn Miller wrote:

> J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > She said "I don't think it's
> > going to work. we only support windows".
>
> I can't tell you how many times I've heard that myself.
>
> I wonder how long we're going to wait before the general public breaks the
> association between "home computer" and "Windows"?  For some non computer-savvy
> types, this association has been permanently burned into a hash table in their
> gray matter.  Like I said before, if you average all the first-time computer
> users out there together, and ask them five things that comes to mind
> when the word "computer" is mentioned, I'll bet "Microsoft", "Windows" and
> "Bill Gates" rank in the top 3.

It's called "brainwashing"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: What really burns the Winvocates here...
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:50:10 GMT

On 17 Jan 2001 09:38:52 -0700, Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Linux ain't goin' anywhere guys.  You might as well get used to it.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You said it, not me.
Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 17 Jan 2001 17:51:51 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 17 Jan 2001 09:38:52 -0700, Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

>>Linux ain't goin' anywhere guys.  You might as well get used to it.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> You said it, not me.

You're so witty.  Seriously.

=====.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Who LOVES Linux again?
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 19:21:35 +0200

"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> A PII/400 isn't state-of-the-art by any means.

It's _way_ more than a workstation need.*
Hell, I used to do 3D Graphic work on a 133 + 16MB. And didn't saw anything
strange in having to do all the rendering at night.

[*] When I say workstation, I mean *work*station, anything aside from
graphics or games should be easyily handled by that machine.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:52:56 -0500

Todd Needham ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Todd [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> > >
> > > For me, when I subscribed to cable modem, they installed the network
> card
> > > and turned on the machine.
> > >
> > > I was expecting to have to configure *something*, but Windows 2000
> > > automatically installed the network card, *and* detected and configured
> the
> > > network settings, in this case DHCP.
> > >
> > > I didn't have to do anything at all.
> > >
> > > Now *that* is easy.
> >
> > All of which was pioneered in Unix/Linux.
>
> That could be true, but I wish it just *worked* under Linux.

It does, dipshit.

We are not responsible for Todd Needham's stupidity

>  I still can't
> get my ethernet card recognized under Red Hat 7.0.  And for some reason, it
> didn't seem to install sound card drives for my on-board sound.
>
> Oh well... I'm sure I'll get it working one of these days...

Maybe if you try pulling your head out of your ass.

> -Todd
>

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another World's Fastest Parallel Supercomputer running Linux
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:54:55 -0500

tony roth wrote:

> Within our organization after nearly a quarter of a BILLION dollars (that's
> right, a quarter of a BILLION dollars) invested in an IBM conceived and
> executed network (wan/lan) and computing infrastructure (utilizing AIX and
> top of the line CISCO switches) the majority (not the wan/lan) of the
> systems was replaced by an NT based computing facility.   In terms of bang
> for bucks AIX did not perform well and was found to be somewhat flaky
> considering its costs.

Hitting the Thunderbird bottle a little early this morning, aren't ya

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows - Is It Really Easier to Use?
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:58:40 -0500

Ilja Booij wrote:

> Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > All of the small, strange little commands that have to be memorized... is
> > > easier than Windows?
> >
> > Oh, I find typing the command that does what I expect is much easier than
> > using my mouse to navigate through tons of cascading menus and dialog boxes.
> > With unix, you're not restricted to mostly GUI or mostly command-line,
> > because you can mix parts of both in whatever portions you like.  Take
> > me, for example.  I like using KDE, because there's a lot of nice little
> > things built-in.  But mostly, I find myself at the Konsole command line.
> > Newbies, OTOH, would probably fall back on the easy-to-use KDE configuration
> > tools much more than I would.  So you see, you can make unix as GUI or
> > command-line as you please.  With Windows, you're forced to use mainly GUI
> > apps.  There's some command line tools, such as ftp, included with Windows.
> > But, they're horrible, and they don't seem to follow any set pattern.  The
> > only aspect of Windows that maintains consistency from release to release is
> > the GUI aspect.
>
> One of the things I really like about CLIs: You can explain to
> somebody (either on the phone, or via email) which commands to type,
> instead of saying: No go left with mouse, CLICK, no make six circles
> and do a double backflip (don't forget to press the left button while
> you're upside down) and press again.
> just saying
>
> dd cp ~/files/foo ~/files/bar is so much easier
>
> Ilja

Better than that...you can telnet into the box, and open up a "talk" window
and type the commands in the talk window, and let the user cut & paste
to his command line.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.