From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What really burns the Winvocates here...
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:11:28 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  It's in the menu but it doesn't work, and I happen to like knode and
> as soon as it supports complete offline News reading, without helper
> applications (leafnode etc), I can eliminate one topic from my rants.
> It won't be long according to the development notes.

Filtering works but destroys the thread like nature of the display, which
kinda renders it less than useful. So I was almost right in the first place.

--
Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:17:07 +0000

Salvador Peralta wrote:

> > I might agree with you except for me recent experience where things
> > didn't quite work the way I expected.
>
> You should have seen the hell I went through on a recent w98 install
> where windows didn't recognize the full disk size of my HD and just
> ended without ever entering the winstall.  Even the manufacturer of the
> pc couldn't get it to work.  I had no problem installing and running
> linux on that disk, but I had to buy a whole new HD to get windows to
> work.
>
> Problems can occur with any OS install.

True.

However, here it would see you're not believed unless you're a dyed in the
wool Linux advocate, or pay home to the Free Software altar.

> > Take a look at the File -> Save style between KDE, GNOME and Netscape
> > (MOTIF?). They all work differently.
>
> Different widget sets.  Again, this is no different than the problem you
> would encounter if you used a Lotus Notes client on a win desktop or
> used Tk to build a winApp.  Any of the eiDos or similar games will also
> behave similarly on win.

True, but some of them work better than others.

> > In Netscape's case, if you try to
> > save an image, and move directory, it looses the filename.
>
> Having trouble saving your porn? :)

Oooer missus!

> > PFE on Windows can do much the same thing.
>
> This comes bundled with the OS?  Where?

It's free software.

> > Since such things exist on Windows, it's all the same.
>
> Not really.  Microsoft could very easily write editors that they bundle
> with the OS to be compatible with editors from other other OS's.  To do
> so only benefits their consumers.  Because they have a large market
> share, they choose not to.  There is a philisophical gulf between that
> mode of doing business, wider than the Pacific and deeper than the
> Marianna trench.

Well, what I meant was that there was one available.

> Again, you are perfectly free to only install homogeneous toolsets on
> your system.  No one is holding a gun to your head and making you
> install tools built with gtk when what you really want are tools that
> behave like Qt.  To me, multiple toolsets are an advantage. If you like
> working within an OO framework, Qt is lovely.  If c is your poison, go
> with gtk.  Different open standards are an advantage in that they
> increase the amount of total features avaialble to the end user.  But
> then, I don't expect linux to behave like windows.  Perhaps this is
> simply a matter of expectation and asthetics.

I don't think you will find a complete set of tools for Qt or Gtk.
Certainly I don't find this on Mandrake. It appears to be a mix of the two.

> I suspect that as the KDE and Gnome projects mature, we will start to
> see more homogenous desktops of the sort that you appear to want.  I
> think things are coming along quite nicely considerintg how recent a
> phenomenon all of this is.

I hope so too.

> > I don't think it's about choice.
>
> It is entirely about choice.  You choose to have applicatios built in
> gtk on your KDE desktop knowing full well that they are built in
> different toolsets, and that these widgets behave differently.  You WANT
> those applications.  That is a choice.

I don't believe there is an equivalent to linuxconf in KDE. It's the tool
to configure the system. Also, there most commonly used graphics editor is
the Gimp, not a KDE app.

> What you call a problem, I call innovation.  These projects are still
> immature.  Within a few years, either project should be able to fully
> stand on its own.  When that happens, I suspect that people like you and
> me will still be mixing and matching our favorite tools from both
> toolsets.

And that's it isn't it. It's still progressing...

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:20:47 +0000

J Sloan wrote:

> > Judging by my recent experience, I found Windows to be easier to
> > install.
>
> That means you have spent years becoming a microsoft
> pc expert, but did not want to invest any time in learning
> something new, like Linux.

I knew OpenVMS, Ultrix and Digital UNIX long before I came to Windows.

> If that's troublesome to you, stick with one widget set.

I wish I could but the tools on Mandrake are a mixture of Gtk and Qt tools.

> Nobody is forcing you to mix and match.

Mandrake appears to be.

> > It's the lack of standards here I call a "multiple mess".
>
> I call it the convergence of many streams. Eventually
> the cream will rise to the top, but there are many excellent
> concepts in competition here.

If it were true that I could pick say either KDE or GNOME then fine, but I
find I need both in order to make a useful system.

> > That's interesting. I see Linux as the silliness with all the mess I
> > mentioned above, and Windows as the breath of fresh air.
>
> I have no idea how you can feel that way, but I tell myself
> there's no accounting for taste. It makes no sense otherwise.

I've tried to describe why I feel that way - it has little to do with taste.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:23:14 +0000

Aaron Ginn wrote:

> > You've cited one example. So have I. What does that mean?
>
> At worst it means your statement 'Linux is not easier to install than
> Windows' is wrong.  You ought to change it to 'Windows can be easier
> to install than Linux in certain cases.'  No one would have a problem
> with that.

OK, fine.

However, the subject of a recent article was "Linux is easier to install
that Windows". It did not qualify that by saying "...in one case".

> For someone who appears to be so concerned with the semantics of Linux
> advocates, you sure do engage in quite a bit of hyperbole yourself.

Sure why not, you do it.

> > It's the lack of standards here I call a "multiple mess".
>
> If this bothers you so much, pick an environment and stick with it.
> Geeze, uninstall Netscape, GNOME and GTK if this bothers you so
> much.

Then half the tools leave the desktop.

> > That's interesting. I see Linux as the silliness with all the mess I
> > mentioned above, and Windows as the breath of fresh air.
>
> Where do you live, Mexico City?

No, just west of the Smoke.

<hack, wheeze>

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:25:45 +0000

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> Take a computer with Linux installed. Now install Windows in it,
> preserving Linux.
>
> Take a computer with Windows installed. Now install Linux, preserving
> windows.
>
> What do you expect to be easier?

In this case, installing Linux after Windows. Doesn't surprise me as Linux
has to fit into Windows, and the makers of Windows don't care about Linux.

> Then use only the apps whose behaviour you like. You cut yourself
> off from a lot of software, but you get consistence. Your choice.

And I cut myself off from tools to configure the system like linuxconf.
What's the equivalent in KDE or something else?

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:27:00 +0000

Ketil Z Malde wrote:

> > OK, fine, I'll stop complaining, if all the Linux advocates stop telling
> > me Linux is better than Windows, Linux is great etc.
>
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy?  You want people to not express their
> satisfaction with Linux in a group specifically dedicated to this
> purpose?
>
> Are you for real?

If all they did was express their satisfaction about Linux then fine. But
they don't, they disparage Windows and make some sweeping statements about
it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:25:28 GMT

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:11:28 +0000, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Filtering works but destroys the thread like nature of the display, which
>kinda renders it less than useful. So I was almost right in the first place.

Exactly.
It doesn't work like it should.

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: NT is Most Vulnerable Server Software
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:23:21 -0000

>> > In any event, all it takes is one vulnerability and you can make the
top of
>> > the list as well, as Red Hat is finding out.
>>
>> But they haven't made the top of the list - microsoft's lead
>> is most likely insurmountable at this point.
>>

>Next up on Microsoft's Dubious Achievements list...

Wow, Microsoft's first real innovation - easy hackability.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Oh look! A Linux virus!
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:37:47 -0500

Chris Coyle wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:9488js$d6i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <9469te$l63$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/16168.html
> >
> > A quote from the above website:
> >
> > [irrelevant stuff deleted]
> >
> > Can anyone name a Windoze virus which kindly
> > FIXES THE HOLE it came in through?
> >

> You shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition.
> I think you mean, "Can anyone name a Windoze virus which kindly
> FIXES THE HOLE through which, in it came? ;)

"This is the sort of thing up with which I will not put."
--Winston Churchill, making fun of this silly rule.

> > It probably still sucks for the administrator who has
> > to go in and permanently fix the problem that he should
> > have been foresighted enough to fix IN THE FIRST PLACE,
> > but at least the virus put a BIG RED FLAG on the
> > security hole for the administrator!
> >
> > Windoze Virus: "HAHAHAHAHAHA! YOUR SYSTEM IS DEAD!
> > EAT CRAP YOU SUCKERS!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"
> >
> > Linux Virus: "Sorry old chap, I've infected your
> > system; here, let me help you *fix* the security
> > hole I used to infect your system."
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dell system with Linux costs *more* than with Win2K
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:38:27 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 19 Jan 2001 03:16:14 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> Yep.
> >> Some asshole at Dell decided to build 1000 of these Linux boxes
> >> because he figured Linux is big and people will want these boxes.

> >> They couldn't find 50 people willing to purchase one, so they had to
> >> raise the price to make up the loss.
> >
> >Interesting, where exactly did you get this information?
>
>         According to the news outlets, Dell's bottom line is actually
>         being bolstered by Linux server sales.

Who'da thunk it :-)

> --
>
>         In general, Microsoft is in a position of EXTREME conflict of
>         interest being both primary supplier and primary competitor.
>         Their actions must be considered in that light. How some people
>         refuse to acknowledge this is confounding.
>                                                                / | \

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: you dumb. and lazy.
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:32:01 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:30:27 GMT, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip a heck of a lot]

> >>  That's not GNOME, that's a higher level application.
> >
> >Then we need to define what we are comparing.
> >To be exact: What's windows? What's Gnome?
>
>  Programmer services.
>
>  End user services.

Can you be a bit more verbose?

> >Because we obviously are using different definitions.
> [deletia]
>
>  Mine's consistent with 20 years of Unix design
>  philosphy. I'm not quite sure where you're
>  getting your ideas from.

I am trying to guess yours, too. Applying Unix design philosophy
to determine what is part of a OS that is not Unixy is, let's
say, radical.

If windows is not the whole OS, then what is the OS beneath it?
If windows is the whole OS, comparing it to GNOME in isolation is
stupid.

--
Roberto Alsina

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake 7.2 and the banana peel
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:40:29 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:45:53 GMT, Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >  [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
> >
> >>      Nope. It's not there.
> >
> >What's not there? The TCP/IP definitions? They're all there. What are
> >you talking about?
> >

> >> It's accessed through Control Panel->System->Network Identification
> >>
> >                               ->Properties.
> >
> >Yes, and they're all together. What are you talking about?
> >

> >>      The control panel that has been in Redhat since 4.0 or earlier.
> >
> >I'm using Linux Mandrake 7.2. Besides, what applies to Redhat doesn't
> >apply to anything else, like SuSe or Debian etc. (unless they all use
> >the same tool?)
> >

> >No, I've just actually RUN Windows 2000 and don't just ramble
> >>      on about it cluelessly. You're not just ingorant about the OS
> >>      you bash but about the one's you promote.
> >
> >From reading what you've just said, you've just agreed with my
> >statement. So what on earth are you on about?
> >
> >>      Advanced TCP/IP Settings Has
> >>              IP Settings - IP number list
> >>
> >             Gateway List
> >>
> >>              DNS - Nameserver list
> >>                    Resolver configuration
> >>
> >>              WINS - nameserver list
> >>                     SMB host file configuration
> >>                        netbios routing
> >>
> >>                 Options, IP Security - Toggle for IPSEC
> >>
> >                      Several Policy choices
> >>              Options, TCP/IP Filtering - port lists for udp/tcp
> >>
> >                           protocol list for IP
> >
> >Like I said, they're all together.
>
>         Give it up clueless.
>
>         There is nothing there to set your domain name or your hostname.
>
> [deletia]
>
>         It's quite pathetic when Linux Zealots have more current
>         Windows experience than the local WinTrolls...

Quote of the MONTH!

>         Mebbe we should advertise for better quality whipping boys...
>
> --
>
>         Freedom != Anarchy.
>
>           Some must be "opressed" in order for their
>         actions not to oppress the rest of us.

>                                                                / | \

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake in VMware in Windows 2000 - HELP!
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:42:12 -0500

rnwalker wrote:

> Well now, if this newsgroup the biggest waste of intellect I've seen in some
> time.  Aaron, are you sure you aren't depriving some small village in
> Scotland of their idiot?

Only for as long as I hold you hostage.

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > rnwalker wrote:
> > >
> > > I ran the setup program that came with VMware 2.0.3.  After that, I
> entered
> > > my personal licence.  From there I clicked START -> Programs ->
> VMware ->
> > > VMware.
> > >

> > Well NO FUCKING WONDER.... you're running on top of Microshit Neutered
> Technology.
> >
> > Hint.  Microshit Neutered Technology is exactly that...NEUTERED
> TECHNOLOGY.
> >
> > Therefore, it should be NO FUCKING SURPRISE when anything running on top
> > of Neutered Technology acts just as flaky.
> >

> > Try Linux as the base system, and use VMware to run LoseNT.
> >
> > Trust me, it will be WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.
> >

> > > Is this a trick question or are you just being part of my nightmare?
> > > (grin!!)
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > ADSL,
> > > installs

> that.
> the
> hit

> > > started
> following
> > > error
> line
> > > 479
> > > enabled

> it
> user
> > > and

> so I

> for
> > > catlove

> causing
> > > my
> soon
> > > as

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I just can't help it!
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:44:42 -0500

Donn Miller wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Donn Miller wrote:
>
> > > Really?  Hmmm.  It would depend on what energy saving mode the monitor
> > > was placed.  For example, there's standby, suspend, and off.
> >
> > And the difference between "standby" and "suspend" is ????
>
> I get a "NULL pointer exception" when I try to process that one.

Standby and Suspend are the SAME THING (in terms of monitor usage),
they are merely arbitrary names that Microshaft uses for various
levels of power-mismanagement.

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.