From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: RTFM at M$
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:05:06 GMT

Said Bob Hauck in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:36:06
>On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 00:36:17 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>Said Bob Hauck in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 25 Feb 2001 19:43:44
>
>>>There _have_ been attacks based on pinging broadcast addresses using
>>>packets with forged source addresses.  Blocking ICMP to the broadcast
>>>address is a sensible thing to do and doesn't break any functionality.
>
>> Actually, there is a great deal of value in supporting ping to
>> 'broadcast addresses' (it doesn't really broadcast, by the way)
>
>What happens is that all the machines on the subnet answer.  This is the
>basis of the "smurf attack".  It is used to DoS someone by pinging a
>third party's broadcast address.  You fake the source address on your
>ping so that the responses go to your victim.  Now you can ping-flood
>someone from a dialup line without revealing your IP address or using
>any of your own bandwidth.

Why did you take my statement to indicate I didn't understand this?

>> "Blocking" such a thing would be a monumental waste of time, as is all
>> of this paranoid mucking around with IP.
>
>CERT and Cisco both recommend that you filter ICMP to broadcast
>addresses at your border.  The recommend this because of the smurf
>problem.

Actually, they recommend this because of the paranoia problem.  Blocking
IP is a monumental waste of time, as is all of this paranoid mucking
around with IP.  Get someone from CERT or Cisco on the newsgroup; I'll
explain it to them, too, if you want.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:05:08 GMT

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:22:11
>"David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:97do6o$b3q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >The linux releases are also years apart.
>>
>> They are often more regular than that, especially if you want to follow
>the
>> cutting edge.  With Linux, you have the choice of how often you want to
>> upgrade.
>
>And you don't have this choice with windows? How come?

Because you need to upgrade everything, or all the *other* vendors blame
the fact that their stuff doesn't work on the fact that you haven't
upgraded everything.  No, Microsoft doesn't embody the entire "upgrade
treadmill"; they merely drive it.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:05:10 GMT

Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 26 Feb 2001
   [...]
>It was only specified a single copy of ME, it was not specified whether it
>be an OEM or upgrade or retail.  Even if you take full MSRP retail price,
>you'd be hard pressed to find all the components mentioned for less than
>that.  The cheapest new retail hard drive I can find is about $75 for a
>10GB.  You might be able to find some liquidation somewhere cheaper, but
>let's stick with current retail products.

Yes, lets.  Current retail prices are approximately 200%-300% greater
for Microsoft's OS than they were in 1985.

Monopoly pricing.  Case closed.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:05:11 GMT

Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 27 Feb 2001
   [...]
>Look, Max.  The argument says "Since Windows is the *ONLY* component that
>has not come drastically down in price in recent years, Windows must be a
>monopoly in order to not follow the market demands".  This statement is
>proveably false, and I pointed out that roughly half of the average computer
>has stayed roughly the same price for at least 6 years.

Look, Erik, forgive me for not going along with this premise that you're
entirely clueless.  No, the argument was not "since EVERY SINGLE
COMPONENT HAS LITERALLY DECREASE IN PRICE WITH NO EXCEPTIONS, then
Windows MUST BE a monopoly."

Now stop being a pedantic ass.  You're moving rapidly from 'boring' to
'repulsive'.

>The argument is faulty.  I'm not saying anything about the conclusions (in
>this particular argument), as they are irrelevant.  The conclusions could be
>true or false, it doesn't matter for the purpose of this argument.

The argument is perfectly valid, regardless of how furiously you wish it
weren't so.

   [...]
>> No, that's untrue, Erik.
>
>How can sit there and say that an argument based on false data is still a
>valid argument?

By pointing out, for only the umpteenth time, that the argument is not
*BASED ON* the data you claim it is; you merely *wish* it were, so that
you could pretend it is a flawed argument.  The fact is, it is an
extremely strong argument showing that Microsoft maintains the price of
their products above competitive levels.  A consumer in 1985 buying an
MS OS off the shelf would pay about $49, I think; in 2001, its up to
$185.

Pray save us the inevitable whining about "how much more you get"; it
really has nothing to do with the matter.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Yet More Evidence of MS as Antichrist! (WAS: New Microsoft Ad :-) )
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 12:07:50 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : Peter Hayes wrote:
>
> : > Are you saying you have a cluster of machines that you reboot individually,
> : > but collectively they present 99.999% uptime to the outside world?
>
> : FIVE LoseDOS machines to duplicate the availability of ONE Linux machine.
> : [And he STILL can't provide the same level of services as the ONE Linux machine].
>
> The MS-Scam(tm) is that the memory leaks are on purpose so companies have to
> build clusters so as to sell all 5 copies of NT "Server". Meanwhile, the
> entire cluster makes hardware vendors rich as well, yet one Linux can remain
> awake for years.
>
> A single NT Server box if used for a 24/7 server attempt fails before a severe
> insomniac finally falls asleep during the week... and the NT will take longer
> to reinstall than it takes for that same insomniac to reawaken. Utterly
> pathetic. In the cluster therefore, the machines engage in a silicon
> equivalent of shift work as like people who need sleep to essentially run
> Defrag by dreaming, the NT boxes need to "sleep" lest the memory leak causes
> them to BSOD.
>
> Another tantalising fact is that kids raised by animals, feral kids, exhibit
> characteristics of animals and not developing language or other nominally
> human traits, as though the "animal OS" is a "DOS" in humans with language and
> culture actually being an overlay like Windows 9*. While feral kids are super
> rare, the ancient Egyptians tried an experiment with placing 2 babies in a
> room and all caregivers were ordered to not say a word. The intent was to find
> out the primordial language but instead found "AnimalDOS" by accident.
>
> This raises a bizarre possibility. While the VMS inventor works on NT,
> Microsoft and Bill Gates could in fact be the Antichrist, where Bill Gates
> stole sourcecode for the kernel of the OS that runs on animal brains
> (including ours as a "DOS") and animals without sleep go insane due to
> memory leaks. BTW, if an animal is deprived of all sleep long enough, it
> dies, nature's equivalent of a BSOD, but for which there is no reinstall.
>
> If the Seattle quake shook up the "campus" of the potential Antichrist, it
> could mean a god exists and the ol' god/devil war is on.

Maybe an aftershock will open up a sinkhole beneath gates' office.

> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)
Subject: Re: Windows Owns Desktop, Extends Lead in Server Market
Date: 1 Mar 2001 17:13:28 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (al) wrote in <3a9e5fa8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=20143

Or "Linux making gains in server market"
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2691286,00.html

Same figures, different spin.
--
Nick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: I say we BAN "Innovation"
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:13:59 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Flacco
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 01 Mar 2001 02:21:34 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> There is, also "Plug and Play" which I have seen at CompUSA, emblazoned
>> on the sides of VCRs, DVD-players, and analog microphones.
>
>How about "Internet Ready!"  -  I've seen this on *joysticks* for
>chrissakes.

Sounds useful, a 100 Mb network port on a joystick. :-)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- at least network printers make sense
                    Microsoft.  When it absolutely, positively has to act weird.

------------------------------

From: "Otto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NT vs *nix performance
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:19:59 GMT

"Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

:
: It is true that new Thinkpads have W2K installed by default.   But Linux
: is being installed on many of those Thinkpads as we speak.  And many
: people I know are happy to get rid of Windows.  Just because Windows
: comes pre-installed doesn't mean it is actually used.

And the reverse of the above, semi-quote: 'Just because Linux comes
pre-installed doesn't mean it is actually used.' And many people I know
wouldn't get Linux to begin with....

Otto

------------------------------

From: Christian Brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whats the difference between BSD and Linux?
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 18:22:04 +0100

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <97k814$a5r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> >Personally, I prefer Solaris because it has co-herancy and consistancy
> >between applications, the example would be the copy and paste example
> >(posted a while back), I can copy, cut, paste etc with out a problem, vs.
> >Linux un-consistant short cut keys which changes in each application, and
> >yes I know I am posting using Windows 2000 using LookOut! Express 5 (can't
> >be forked installing and alernative one) because I am waiting for my SUN
> >Machine to arrive (hopefully by next week).
> >

> Frankly, this is true of the Windows world also.
> There is no consistent set of keys you use to cut and paste their
> either.  Not truely consistent.

 But at least windows is quite consistent at this. Not that this makes up the
holes and hazzles at other topics... at least a winboy can argue "if 99% do it
one way, the other 1% is doing it wrong ;-)"

 If in the IX-world 10% do it this way, 5% that way and another 15% make it
completly configurable (not to mention those 60% which do not know what we are
talking about and the 10% who get annoyed)... who can you call "you do it
wrong, you do it right?" Actually I only like complete configurability if it
comes with a ton of out-of-the-box-well-working-examples ;-)

--
 Christian Brandt

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:32:26 -0600

> Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 26 Feb 2001
>    [...]
> >It was only specified a single copy of ME, it was not specified whether
it
> >be an OEM or upgrade or retail.  Even if you take full MSRP retail price,
> >you'd be hard pressed to find all the components mentioned for less than
> >that.  The cheapest new retail hard drive I can find is about $75 for a
> >10GB.  You might be able to find some liquidation somewhere cheaper, but
> >let's stick with current retail products.
>
> Yes, lets.  Current retail prices are approximately 200%-300% greater
> for Microsoft's OS than they were in 1985.
>
> Monopoly pricing.  Case closed.

Are you kidding me?  Windows 1.0 when it first came out was outrageous,
something like $500 IIRC.  The Windows SDK was over $2000 for the SDK alone
(today, it's a free download).

------------------------------

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Are todays computers 1000 times better than the original PCs?
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:27:15 GMT

"Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 20:10:25 -0500, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I just noticed I have 1000 times more ram than my first PC/XT, it is a
dual
> > processor 600 MHZ system which is a an aggregate 250 times faster. My
first
> > hard disk was 20Meg, I have an aggregate 2300 times more disk space.
> >
> > It has been an amazing 16 years of computing.
>
> Another look into the future?
>
> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20010118.html
>
> Peter

Wow. Lotsa problems here, that Cringe doesn't exactly point out. The
problems are much larger than he seems to think, if he's serious about his
five year plan.

On the other hand, some of our customers have display panels printed on
plastic films, which may be able to reduce the weight of a laptop -
especially those with large displays - significantly.

-- Mike --

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: URGENT MESSAGE TO CHAD'S EMPLOYER Was: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 12:35:29 -0500

Michael Vester wrote:

> Ed wrote:
> >
> > > I thank God every day that I don't have to use that box as my desktop
> > > because the state of Unix and Linux is so poor, I would have to shoot
> > > myself if I did.
> >
> > Please, whoever employs Chad, remove his windows machine this instant and
> > make him use Solaris/CDE.
> >
> > -Ed
> >
> > --
> >                                                      | u98ejr
> >                                                      | @
> >              Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox
> >                                                      | .ac.uk
>
> Give Chad a nice 3270 terminal.  A nice pretty green screen.
> No nasty mice to clutter up the desk.

Not only would Chat the Shit-brained not know what to do....
but no amount of teaching would help him, either...

> --
> Michael Vester
> A credible Linux advocate
>
> "The avalanche has started, it is
> too late for the pebbles to vote"
> Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <js@plcom>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 12:38:31 -0500

Say it aint so.
You mean people can change their OS even if Windows is pre-installed??
Doesn't that fly in the face of the (failed) "monopoly" courtroom
competition strategy that Microsoft's competition was banking on?

news:3xvn6.4839$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Judge Harry Edwards comments....
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 12:42:00 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <IY1n6.13991$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mike wrote:
> >
> >The phone company was granted a monopoly, Charlie, much like your gas
> >company and your water company are today. The fact that you could call your
> >grandmother for a nickel isn't the same the price of housing or gas. It
> >would be the same if you could put 1000 houses in the place that 1 house
> >occupied 20 years ago, or get 10,000 miles per gallon of gas in your car
> >today, but you can't, and it isn't.
> >

> Sir,
>
> The BELL comapanies became companies BECAUSE they had no regulatory
> agency to govern them.  You are totally wrong.

http://www.eetimes.com/special/special_issues/millennium/companies/bell.html

     At first the research arm of AT&T, Bell Labs enjoyed a special status
     after its founding in the 1920s. Because of the monopoly granted AT&T
     by the government, in the interests of standardizing the telephone
     system, the lab could both be part of a commercial operation and play
     the open role of a national laboratory.

     "At that time, there was not much connectivity with business — it was
     very much intellectually driven. We wanted to be leaders in all the
     fields relevant to communications," Glass said. But in the early 1980s
     two developments dramatically accelerated photonics research: commercial
     long-haul fiber-optic systems began to be installed commercially, and
     AT&T's monopoly was dissolved by the government, with parts of Bell
     Labs spun off into other companies as part of a complex divestiture
     of the telecommunications giant. "We were suddenly handed the mandate
     to develop commercial products out of our research efforts," he said.

> They were NEVER granted a MONOPOLY.
>
> No company has ever been GRANTED a MONOPOLY.
>
> The term MONOPOLY is a legal term assigned companies who've violated
> the publics trust.
>
> >I know your capacity is limited, Charlie, but maybe you should think about
> >that for a while. The costs of communication and computing power are not
> >driven by real estate or resources, and are fundamentally different than the
> >costs of housing and energy.
> >
> >-- Mike --
> >

> Please read the legal definition for the term MONOPOLY I've posted
> a half dozen times on this thread.
>
> MONOPOLY power is assigned to those companies who have violated public
> trust in the marketplace.
>
> MONOPOLY power is the term assigned to Microsoft and is pending
> the appeal.
>
> If the test of the term sticks, Microsoft will be guilty of MONOPOLY POWERS
> and will be fractionated.
>
> If it doesn't, then Microsoft will end up having to follow other court
> ordered guidelines such as the one's they were ordered to follow in
> the past and broken!
>
> And because of this cycle of stupidity, Microsoft will eventually
> achieve it's ultimate goal of attaining MONOPOLY POWER status whether
> they suceed on this go around or not.
>
> Truely the leadership of Microsoft has modeled their business plan
> on the famous Monty Python skit, "NITWIT OLYMPICS".
>
> In the end they will all shoot themselves in the head.
>
> Charlie

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:43:51 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Steve Mading
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on 28 Feb 2001 20:53:16 GMT
<97jofs$ice$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>: Steve Mading wrote:
>:>
>:> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>:>
>:> : Steve Mading wrote:
>:> :>
>:> :> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>:> :>
>:> :> : Panzers go "blub blub blub" without a dock to land them on.
>:> :> : Beachheads are not docks.
>:> :>
>:> :> By that argument, the Normady landings never would have had any tanks
>:> :> in them, and they DID.
>:>
>:> : You must remember...we BROUGHT our own docks.
>:>
>:> Very true.  And this makes your point about not being able to get
>:> panzers across the channel rather moot.  It could have worked.
>:> The allies proved this later.  Thank you for shooting down your own
>:> argument for me.
>
>: The Mulberry docks were a brilliant innovation.  There is little
>: reason to believe that anybody else would have done the same thing.
>
>: For example, despite hundreds of beach-head landings in the Pacific
>: (which, like it's name, is a relatively peaceful ocean), none of the
>: belligerants *EVER* used such a dock...or even built any.
>
>Or needed to.  Tanks are, to put it mildly, less than ideal for
>use on south pacific islands, even if you had a way to land them.
>Large unbroken grassy land is the tank's friend.  Tanks were needed
>in France's farmland, but would be pointless somwhere with more
>rugged terrain.

Large unbroken stretches of sand don't seem to bother tanks too much
either.... :-) :-)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- but why didn't they call it "Desert Arrid Extra Dry"? :-)
                    The endorsement contracts could have helped pay for