From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Multiple standards don't constitute choice
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:36:57 GMT

Said Pete Goodwin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:25:58
+0000;
>Roberto Alsina wrote:
>
>> Do you suffer some sort of hysterical blindess?
>
>No, but I'm losing track of where this thread is going! 8)
>
>> Both of them, specially the web interface should work just fine in
>> a "pure KDE" environment (so should the Gtk+ one, but you seem to
>> be hellbent on not using it, that's why we bother telling you,
>> for the 241st time how not to use it).
>
>I think what I was trying to say was that if I stick to just KDE apps, then
>the list of usable apps shrinks considerable. Linux Mandrake has a whole
>bunch of apps written with Gtk, but not KDE.

So you'd prefer the illusion of "having it all", even if it means you're
simply limiting your choices?  No thanks.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:37:36 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
T. Max Devlin wrote:
>Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 22 Jan 2001
>>On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 00:30:55 GMT, Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>flatfish, you are utterly clueless.  What the hell do you
>>>DO with computers?
>>>
>>>Chris
>>
>>"I" do nothing with "them", it's what "they" do for "me".
>>
>>Applications Chris, applications.
>>Tons of useful applications that perform useful (to me and 10 zillion
>>other desktop users).
>
>So you're telling us that the reason you've been an annoying asshole
>through more than a dozen pseudonyms is because you're terrified you'll
>lose your applications when Linux replaces Windows?  Is that all?

Microsoft will throw them away for you if you don't.
They ALWAYS REQUIRE an upgrade of ALL APPLICATIONS with every OS RELEASE!

That's losdosinsane.

>>I'll tell you what I don't do:
>>
>>I don't play with config files and that includes the registry with the
>>exception of the occasional regclean.
>
>Neither do I.  I gave up trying to troubleshoot or work around that
>registry shitpile at least two years ago.  That's why I'm going to
>Linux.

The registry!  Another one of the main reasons people LEAVE WINDOWS.

>>I don't spend my time looking a log files to figure out why pppd
>>deamon died.
>
>You just reboot and try again, I'd expect.

You bet he does.  Windows has incredibly POOR uptime.

>>I don't spend time downloading 10's of megabytes of files just to keep
>>up to date with kde.
>
>Yet you do to keep up with monopoly crapware.  Why is that?

Windows W2k takes over a gig to install.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows Has Lost
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:43:56 GMT

Said Craig Kelley in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 22 Jan 2001 08:34:13
>Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> > You realize that it is indeed possible to run linux on a dreamcast...
>> >
>> > I wonder how long it will be before someone sticks it on an xbox.
>>
>> Not very. As the Xbox is pretty much a PC, it won't take much work,
>> seeing as it wou't need a new compiler.
>
>Oh, I dont' know:  they could do any one of a hundred tricks to keep
>rogue software out of the system.  What if the hardware presented a
>challenge to the operating system, and if the response was bad it
>would lock the system down?  What if the hard disk was encrypted using
>a proprietary method, such that it was impossible to examine the disk
>for any security routines without breaking the encyption first?  What
>if the Pentium III used in the system were modified to prevent people
>from monitoring pinouts and data transfers?

Without some competitive justification, any one of these would
constitute a criminal act, to be honest.

>Linux/BSD will eventually run on it, but it may be more work than it
>seems.  If they don't lock it down at all then it'll be a great Linux
>workstation.

Even now, though certainly by then, even 'locking it down' would be
extremely risky, legally.  But there aren't going to be that many PC
vendors interested in it.  Sony, however, would find themselves at it
yet again; maybe they'll have learned from Accolade, this time.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:43:55 GMT

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 17:23:11 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I would expect that Linux has had automount for a number of years.  Can
>somebody confirm this?

Yes, it has automount.  Caldera, at least, sets it up out of the box.
If that isn't to your taste, KDE includes a device icon feature that can
be set up to mount/unmount by clicking.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Ballmer says Linux is Microsoft's No. 1 Threat
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:43:53 GMT

On 21 Jan 2001 19:42:03 +0100, Bruce Scott TOK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It's ugly, isn't it...  all that icon clutter...  advertising to all the
>owner is too stupid to find things.

Blackbox Rulez!  Oh, sorry, got a little overexcited there...

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: NT is Most Vulnerable Server Software
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:43:33 -0500

>         T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] () in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 20 Jan
> >>On Sat, 20 Jan 2001 04:14:17 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >>      Actually, there are several subnets that are reserved for
> >>      local use. Assuming your local router is not malconfigured,
> >>      the traffic you see on those subnets should be rather
> >>      limited.
> >
> > Again, your knowledge seems sound, but your understanding is flawed.
> > There are no subnets 'reserved' for anything, unless you're dealing with
> > a full-blown firewall (which by nature breaks all those rules about how
> > IP networking works).  There are such things as local subnets; those
> > that are directly connected on the transmission system(s) the computer
> > is connected to.  But that doesn't inform anything but the routing
> > decision; which MAC address to put on the frame bearing the packet.  It
> > doesn't have squat to do with the packet itself, nor certainly the
> > datagram (potentially fragments of datagrams, in fact) in the packet.
>
> You are completely wrong here. There are class A, B, C (to use the old
> naming convention) subnets that are reserved for private use only and
> must never be seen on the Internet (10.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x for
> example (plus the 172.x.x.x ones)). You clearly have no understanding
> of Internet routing and firewalls. How is a firewall breaking all the
> rules? Do you know what a firewall is? Most firewalls allow address
> translation. They use PAT to translate many internal addresses to a single
> external routable address. The good
> firewalls also allow 1 to 1 NAT. MAC addresses are used to send the packet
> to the next hop on its route. When the packet arrives at a router connected
> to the destination host the MAC address is that of the destination host. May
> I suggst you purchase a copy of the late Mr. Stevens' books on TCP/IP. If
> you can understand and digest those then you may talk about Internet subnets
> and routing.

When did Stevens die?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows curses fast computers
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:44:40 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <J4ma6.185472$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> This is a general problem these days. Most software engineers just don't
> >> know how the hardware works. In the old days we learnt what the hardware
> >> could do because we were coding in assembler (even toggling in machine on
> >> occasions:-). Now software engineers are so isolated from the hardware
> >> they resort to adding delay loops in their software instead of finding out
> >> how the hardware works. It is clear that Erik is of this sad generation.
> >> He might know how windows works but hasn't a clue how it interacts with
> >> the hardware. It appears that most Microsoft developers don't know how it
> >> interacts with hardware.
> >
> > I know how it works, and I'm a Microsoft developer.
> >
> > Ah, but then I started as a Electronics Engineer at EMI, then switched to
> > software. That's one reason in my favour when I took my current job writing
> > audio device drivers.
>
> I must say that some of the best software engineers that I have worked with
> were electronic engineers who made the transition to softwae. What went wrong
> in your case?

too much self-applied electroshock therapy.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A salutary lesson about open source
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:45:55 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <gfsa6.4989$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> >"Cliff Wagner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 00:35:20 GMT, Chad Myers typed something like:

> >> [SNIP]

> >> In other words, your opinion is more valid then
> >> those who actually did the study.
> >> How nice.
> >
> >Please show me proof that Fortune 500 execs were making these
> >kinds of decisions based on an OSS/shareware confusion.
> >
> >I'm just going on the plain facts. The numbers speak for themselves.
> >
> >It's pretty sad for you guys now. You're no longer trying to
> >argue for Apache, you're trying to make excuses why its failing,
> >and you're eager to use anyone else's conjecture (like the Biznix
> >article) to support your excuses.
> >
> >-Chad
> >

> To even remotely suggest that websites such as Yahoo under FreeBSD
> or Google.com under Linux clustering are NOT running apache and
> are possibly running a Microsoft product running on any *nix machine
> is absolutely insane.
>
> Where are you going with this dribble Chad?

down his chin.

> Charlie

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: The *BEST* advertising!
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:48:56 GMT

>On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 00:35:32 GMT, Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>

>>The funny thing is that you think you don't have to do that kind
>>of stuff with Windows (of any type).
>
>I don't.
>
>>That could be a little true, if you do only word-processing,
>>I suppose.
>
>Actually I do very little word processing.
>

>>But, since you took such delight in Charlie's irate response,
>>it is obvious you are a troll, and it's time to stop rising to
>>the bait.
>
>Charlie went off the deep end a long time ago :)
>

>>Chris
>
>Flatfish
>Why do they call it a flatfish?
>Remove the ++++ to reply.

Nonsense!  I'm not baiting Flatbrain.  He's doing this all by his
own accord.

He's providing the Linux community with the best advertising they've
seen in years!  People will read Flatfoosh's messages and immediately
read the counter responses.

And they will WONDER what Linux is and run out and get it.
I want you to know that Mr. Linonut here has personally drove
9 by-standers off the sidelines to use Linux since he's showed
up here.

What happens is the E-mail me, then they ask if they can try
Linux.  Then I tell them about the different distributions,
and make my recommendation, then they get installed.

Flatbush is litterally destroying his own marketplace for Windows.
It's obvious he knows nothing about computers, always speaks in
terms of a brainless user, and he always makes negative posts
about Linux without any sort of technical backing.

He's like Erik Fuckenbush only with a brain.
He won't go there unless he's certain.
And never mind if he was full of shit to begin with, it's
his own viewpoint which drives him.

You will never catch Flatfidder making comparisons between IDE
drives and SCSI drives like Fukenbush does.  Flatboy don't go
there unless he knows something about it, "in his own mind"...

Erwik on the other hand will just mindlessly post comment about
anything which comes to his brain, truethful, factual or not...

Flatsixpack is from the Pontiac Wide track generation.
He is middle aged, loves Windows, and has a fat wide ass.

You have to have a wide track to park that wide butt in
to make it home to post this wide bulletins.

So, quit trying to kill my free advertising here.

Hope this helps!

Charlie

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why "uptime" is important.
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:50:06 GMT

Said Mark in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:15:08 GMT;
>On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 03:52:38 GMT, "Lloyd Llewellyn"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> almost coherently wrote:
>
>>> If I could get her on Linux, i.e. get a good tax package for her, I would.
>>
>>Yes - on the desktop it comes down to applications...
>
>I agree. The uptime advantage is primarily useful on server machines,
>which is why I run linux for my firewall. I'm a big Linux advocate,
>but I still run Windows on my desktop. Here are just a couple of
>reasons, maybe some more knowledgeable than me can refute them:
>
>* Game playing - I like to play cutting edge games, and Windows is the
>only PC environment for that
>
>* Office applications - I've tried StarOffice, I've tried Applixware,
>and I've tried a couple of other smaller offerings, but none of them
>seem to match up with office applications for Windows. MS Office is
>SLOW, but StarOffice is slower, and Applixware crashed almost every
>time I used it. I've yet to find any decent accounting package for
>Linux.
>
>* Frustrating installations - I've noticed with many graphical
>products for Linux that installation is not straight forward. I think
>this is an unfortunate side effect of open source offerings. Many
>times I've downloaded something only to find in the README file "you
>also need to install package A and B and C before this will work". If
>I have time I'll go hunt down those packages, but more often than not
>I give up at that point.

Here's the way I read your post.

I would like Linux, except for the fact that Windows has predatorally
maintained an application barrier preventing commercial development of
software on alternative platforms.

Your whole post just reminds me of the state of the entire industry,
back in 1993, when MS really started putting the screws to the market.
Anyone who used Windows in those days knows very well that the Microsoft
world is not immune to "you need to get a component" or "configure
something weird" by any means.  But once you've monopolized, there being
One Microsoft Way makes it look like every thing's real simple (as long
as everyone keeps the secret, that most of it doesn't work very well to
begin with).

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistent.
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:50:41 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> "Ed Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:94bvv0$cq7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > >Yes, well, they were naive.  Truth is, it requires government action to
> > >prevent monopolization.  That's why they made it illegal, more than a
> > >hundred years ago.
> > >
> >     One of the reasons we have laws and governments to enforce them is
> >     to prevent abuse by those who will not behave decently without being
> >     forced.
>
> And this is hindering Linux in what way?  Microsoft doesn't OWN The PC
> platform, they just run it.  Linux can also run it, but people don't like
> Linux as much.

Wrong.  Large percentages of people who use Microsoft don't like it.
The only thing is...most don't even KNOW that there is an alternative.

Why?  Because Microshaft threatens extortion if any large retailer
offers pre-installed Linux.

> Is ANYONE putting the burn on to remedy this?
>
> > >By 2002, Linux is going to be *everywhere*.
> > >
> >     As the lies M$ tells developers about not having any market if they
> >     do not write for Windows exclusively are exposed they will rush to
> >     establish themselves before their competition does.
>
> DEVELOPERS who aren't smart, savvy or rich enough to do their own market
> analysis deserve the market they get.
>
> >     Think of penguins on the edge of the Antarctic ice with the terror of
> >     sea lions in the shallow waters just off shore.  Once beyond the
> >     shallows they can outmaneuver the salons but getting there
> >     requires running the gauntlet and the first few might not make it.
>
> Really? Here's how I see it.
>
> Penguins are standing at the edge of the Antarctic rim, staring at some kind
> of golden land beyond the tundra, there is a small land bridge that can be
> crossed, but powerful penguins are preaching that the world for penguins is
> better in the tundra than "the golden land" could ever be.  Of course this
> is just an excuse, but it seems to be catchy among the penguins.
>
> >     Once the first one takes the plunge the others scramble to get out
> >     as quickly as possible because the last few are just as vulnerable
> >     as the first.
>
> See prior paragraph.
>
> > >Because whatever people get to replace Office, it isn't going to be
> > >"taking over" desktops.  You'll probably never even notice, and nobody
> > >else is really going to care.  This stupid misrepresentation of 'the
> > >network effect' that supposedly makes me give a shit what particular
> > >brand of software someone *else* is running is getting fucking tired.
> > >
> >     That is because what most people refer to as "the network effect"
> >     is just the monopoly refusing to interoperate.
>
> Really?  StarOffice is 90% Microsoft Office format compatible, yet no one is
> using it.  Why?  Well, the horrible interface, the overcomplicated
> documentation and the amazing lack of performance is seems to have acquired
> on all platforms.
>
> I don't see Microsoft FORCING StarOffice a shitty product.
>
> >     Interoperation would lead to comparison and choice.  M$ cannot allow
> >     that.
>
> Except there is more interoperability NOW then there ever has been in
> computing.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:54:04 GMT

Said Mark Styles in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:59:19
   [...]
>When I was looking for an accounting package, almost every graphical
>package I downloaded wanted something extra that I didn't have, mainly
>the graphical toolkits that make the development of X software easier.
>Being a software developer I can understand the need for such things,
>but joe public user will just be frustrated that the package he
>downloaded didn't contain everything he needed.

Bwah-ha-ha-ha.  Now its not enough that they'll be able to download a
graphical app for free, they want to whine because the "componentized
software" that MS promised never actually meant you might not have all
the components that MS forced on you.  Not to their recollection,
anyway.  I seem to recall several people being bruskly dismissed when
they complained that they had to install and download IE for some third
party application to work, and that rarely had any technical validity,
like needing X libraries does.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Poor Linux
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:57:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>Kyle Jacobs wrote:
>>
>> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> > GAME
>> > SET
>> > MATCH.... jerkoff
>>
>> No comment.
>
>translation: Kyle Jacobs acknowledges my victory over flat-head.

If it were hump-head you were fyting, then I'd applaud!
But flat-head are much easier to jump over.

Beans and cornbread!

To Flatpecker!  May he help me convert 10 full people
from Windows before his pecker falls off!

Charlie