  Re: Games? Who cares about games? (Pete Goodwin)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why can't Microsoft keep their web servers up?
Date: 25 Jan 2001 20:17:18 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:94prgo$oe$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:94p8ob$s02$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> those
>> > IP's.

>> > So in other words, you have no idea what a netmask of .240 or /28 does.
>>
>> I do, erik, because I have practical experience.
>>
>> You however, do not.  You have alot of books though, im sure.

> Then how come you're the one that insists they're on the same subnet,
> despite no proof?

Sweetheart, how do you think a bad router config *only* affected microsofts
DNS machines and *disabled all of them*?

You need real world experience.  There are very few ways to explain this, and
the most plausable one is that they were all on the same subnet which was
in turn plugged into (whether it was switched or not) a single interface on
the router in question.

This would mean that they would HAVE to be on the same /24.  (well, almost
have to be, there are a few ways to get around that, but then breaking
the router wouldnt have crapped out all of them at the same time).

This is elementary stuff.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 25 Jan 2001 20:18:09 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:94prm1$oe$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Des Herriott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> those IP's.

>> > Not that I'm normally a Microsoft advocate, but you really need to go
>> > and read a book about CIDR.  Then go back & read Erik's post and try to
>> > understand the point he's making, rather than conveniently ignore it.
>>
>> > Hint: those addresses are not necessarily on the same subnet.
>>
>> Except that in this particular case (the one which we're discussing, we
> are
>> not discussing TCP/IP for dummies, we are discussing why microsoft is full
>> of a bunch of idiots) they WERE all on the same subnet.

> We have only your insistance that this is the case.  Convenient, eh?  No
> proof whatsoever.

See my other post for logical reasoning.

>> I understand that there will be a split on that group of IPs if you were
> using
>> a common /28.

> Then please provide the proof that they are on the same subnet.

I have all the proof other than logical reasoning I need, but I hardly find
myself the kind of person who would want to be responsible for anyone loosing
their job, even if they DO work for microsoft.

=====.

--
"It's natural to expect there might be people doing stupid things
with computers"

---Michael Vatis, director of the FBI's national infrastructure
protection center commenting on Y2K concerns about hacker attacks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Comparison: Installing W2K and Linux 2.4
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:19:05 GMT

On 25 Jan 2001 13:50:16 -0600, "Conrad Rutherford"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Besides, your Matrox will come up in svga mode - that's frame buffer mode -
>so guess what, according to your definition of supported, W2K handled the
>G400 too. And besides, when you look on that G400 CD, did you find linux or
>windows drivers? Rest my case.

The word "supported" takes on an entirely new meaning when used in the
same sentence as the word Linux.

Supported under Linux means it puts a raster on the screen, but none
of the advanced functions work, neither does any of the software on
the CD that came with it.

The SBLive card is a classic example.
Three years it's been out and still is not fully supported under
Linsux.

Even Linksys, who is Linux friendly BTW and who says Linux drivers
included right on the box for their 10/100 nic cards, sends you to a
web site to download some ancient driver with a set of convoluted
instructions on how to make it work.

It ain't in the box but all of the Windows drivers are there as well
as the doc and the support programs.

>> > Browser ready, wordpad ready,
>> > mediaplayer supporting pretty much every format (and others are a codec
>> > autodownload away), graphics editor and viewers, handicapped
>accessiblity,
>> > communications programs, telnet, ftp, massive network support - the list
>> > just goes on and you can just sit back and watch it load.
>>
>> Nope had to replace my 3Com595TX with another networkcard (btw
>> manufactured somewhere in '95). Hercules (third head to my machine (the
>> G400 is dualheaded)) doesn't work either, and it is still usefull for
>> debugging and logging stuff.
>
>Wow, did you have to spend more than $15 for that NIC? And, gee, does linux
>(the kernel) support your dualhead g400 in the base distrubution? Support
>acceleration and dual-head mode? Without downloading a single thing other
>than the base linux product? Didn't think so. Hercules support? Who gives a
>shit. My dual head is a Geforce2MX - I don't go for 70s crap.
>
><snip>
>
>> :( Linux also has the same problem with ACPI and
>> this mb but at least one can enable/disable it after install.

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:18:40 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> SOME, a few did I'm sure. Most ppl know it is worthless.
> >
> > Sure, now.  "Back then" Microsoft Works was a fantastic suite.  WP users
> > had training (remember Word Perfect classes?) Works required none.
> > People just understood, and having a well made instruction manual didn't
> > hurt either.
>
> Oddly enough, I've never seen a good version of works. It was always the
> cheap (and not great) budget package.

> >> OK also don't mention Office and Works in the same sentence. Because
> > Office, is
> >> an office package a collection of programs. Works, is one program, that
> > sucks.
> >> Now if you want to compare Word to WP. that's fair and I could even see
> >> competition. But Works, not even.
> >
> > WP is older than office.  Back in "the day", MSDOS based WP was the
> > "professional rage" even though it didn't come to Windows for quite some
> > time.  Even then, the Win version was terribly slow, and majorly buggy.
> > Of course people prefered Office.
>
> I remember using a version of WP in about 1994 (or 3?) for  Win3.11. It
> was one of the best word processors I have ever used. I'll still stick by
> that comment, even when its compared to Word 2000.
>
> > StarOffice isn't free.  StarOffice is a commercial prodcut.  StarOffice
>
> Star office is free. It's now also open office, and open source as well
> as free.
>
> > is a terrible product, on any platform.
>
> Not the best, but by no means terrible.

Now that it's open source, that will soon change.

> -Ed
>
> --
> Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
> weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr
>         - The Hackenthorpe Book of lies                   |@
>                                                           |eng.ox.ac.uk

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Poor Linux
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:19:51 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > Considering that in Russia, there are no copyright laws, you can
> > actually get Microsoft products for about $5 or less (which is,
> > ironically, exactly what they are worth).....Wouldn't THAT be an
> > interesting purchase :-)
>
> I wouldn't run Windows even if I could buy it for $5.

For now, it's worth it for games until the developers migrate
themselves to Linux.

> -Ed
>
> --
> Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
> weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr
>         - The Hackenthorpe Book of lies                   |@
>                                                           |eng.ox.ac.uk

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please help! adding a line
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:22:10 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bones"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >                       ^^^^^^^^^^^
> >> YUK! This isn't going to work for big files. It's also a little
> >> inefficient to copy the whole of the file to the command line before
> >> putting it back in to a file.
> >
> > OK, I was shooting for elegant. No one said anything about adding
> > entries to the tops of huge files. Anyway, I made a flub. What I meant
> > was:
> >
> > echo -e "I wonder \n$(cat fileA)" > fileA
> >
> > I know it doesn't make too much of a difference with your argument, but
> > I did not mean to involve another file in that snippet.
>
> Doesn't BASH truncate fileA first, bufore interpreting the command line?

It should do the (cat fileA) first, and THEN do the echo and THEN do the
redirect.

The question is...does the redirect cause a truncation before or after
the left-hand side is evaluated.

Hmmmmm, chances are, it does the truncation first, because we don't know
how big the stream from the lefthand side will be.

> > Anyway... I tried my method and added the line "I wonder" to the
> > beginning of the Text-Terminal-HOWTO, weighing in at about 265K. It
> > worked fine, so I got brave. I concatenated the entire collection of
> > documents in the HOW-TO directory on my system into a single file. That
> > topped out at
> > 9,119,701 bytes. Although it took about 20 seconds, I was able to
> > successfully prepend the monster document with "I wonder" using my
> > example above. How big is big relative to file sizes?
>
> Blimey! I didn't realise BASH was so robust. I take it back.
>

> > Your examples:
> >> echo "I wonder" | cat - fileA > filea
> > [trim]
> >> echo -n "I wonder" | cat - fileA > filea
> >
> > I see where you are coming from. Also, Bash on my Linux system doesn't
> > add a newline with the second example, assuming that is what '-n' is
> > there for.
>
> Yep, that's what its for.
>

> >> With the 2 above examples, filea and fileA MUST NOT BE THE SAME!!!
> >> because the shell will truncate the file (as a result of >) before
> >> trying to read it, so you will loose the old file.
> >> Or you could try: echo "I wonder" > filea cat filea >> fileA
> >
> > Hmmm... I believe this appends "I wonder" to the end of fileA, a result
> > which the original poster expressly forbade.
>
> Ooops, thinko!
>
> filea is the old file, fileA is the new one. I meant:
> echo "I wonder" > fileA
> cat filea >> fileA.
>

> > What OS are you using?
>
> Linux. Used to be RH5.2, but I've upgraded the kernel, and many of the
> apps and libraries to RH6.2 RPMs. I've also added loads of non RPM
> packages and redone quite a lot of the config files (especially the xdm
> ones and the RunWM stuff).
>
> -Ed
>
> --
> Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
> weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr
>         - The Hackenthorpe Book of lies                   |@
>                                                           |eng.ox.ac.uk

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Ramen worm/virus cracks NASA and others
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:34:13 +0000

> > One executive at Russia-based Kaspersky Labs told reporters "The discovery
> > of the Ramen worm 'in-the-wild' is a very significant moment in computer
> > history. Previously considered as an absolutely secured operating system,
> > Linux now has become yet another victim to computer malware."
>
> No, it was never considered 'absolutely secure' by ANYONE.  It is highly
> securable.  Theres a difference.

I think Linux was considered abolutely secure by stupid people.

--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

------------------------------

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Jan 2001 13:03:00 -0700

"Conrad Rutherford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> http://betanews.efront.com/article.php3?sid=980449212
>
> Kaspersky Lab's is now reporting that the Linux-based virus 'Ramen' is now
> "in the wild." The firm sent word around the net today that several Web
> sites have now been defaced by the malicious code, enough to up its status
> to "in the wild". Places affected by the bug include NASA, Texas A&M, and
> Supermicro. As of right now, the worm only seems to be affecting Redhat 6.2
> and 7.0 versions of Linux.

IOW, not Linux.  Red Hat Linux, specifically unpatched Red Hat Linux.

> Using three known breachable security exploits in the operating system,
> Ramen can penetrate the system and take over root access to execute its
> payload.
>
> One executive at Russia-based Kaspersky Labs told reporters "The discovery
> of the Ramen worm 'in-the-wild' is a very significant moment in computer
> history. Previously considered as an absolutely secured operating system,
> Linux now has become yet another victim to computer malware."

No OS is secure if the administrators ignore sercurity patches.  There
are all kinds of Red Hat servers that are unaffected because they have
been properly administered.

> Perhaps the most unsettling piece of this puzzle is that Redhat has known
> about the problem for more than six months.

Wow, guess what?  Red Hat has had fixes for over 4 months.  What are
they supposed to do, personally visit every site that uses Red Hat and
make sure the fixes have been installed?

> ===============
>
> It was only a matter of time - when linux started to be used by more than a
> handful of hackers that eventually virus writers would turn their attention
> there. It's wasn't worth writing a virus for linux before - who'd have
> noticed or seen it?

So which is it?  Is Linux a hacker's toy that no one uses, or is it a
widely deployed server-class OS?

120 day MTTF.  Ha!

--
Aaron J. Ginn                    Phone: 480-814-4463
Motorola SemiCustom Solutions    Pager: 877-586-2318

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: NT is Most Vulnerable Server Software
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:42:14 GMT

Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 25 Jan 2001
>"Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:94os4d$cp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > As they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. It is clear you
>> > have read a little but have not implemented any of it. Is it no
>> > wonder that the teaching profession has such a bad name these days
>> > especially in your neck of the woods. Try making your classes a bit
>> > more practical. Then the teacher may learn something.
>> >
>> Perhaps you should look in some of the RFC's for T. Max Devlin.  A
>> hint, you'll probably find his name in some of the SNMP ones...
>
>Hmm.. which ones are those?  The name Devlin doesn't appear at all in the
>index of RFC's at: http://rfc.net/rfc-index.html
>
>Also, going through all the basic SNMP RFC's, his name doesn't appear
>either.

No, it won't be in any index; it was merely an acknowledgement.  One of
more than a dozen names of people who contributed in greater or lesser
amounts.  Mine was surely lesser, but it is there, in all of the SNMPv3
standards.  It is yet another startling reminder to my humility that
nobody actually uses the SNMPv3 standards.

From: "Joanna Jakus-Pol" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: I am preparing to teach a Linux class and I am soliciting advice
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:47:11 -0000

> First and foremost, teach them how to INSTALL linux in both GUI and
> text mode.

it is not that neccessary
you can give tham a piece of paper with short description about intall
process which they can read at home
it can be a HOWTO and URLs to pages where it is described

give them plenty of linux URL - like www.linux.org
www.linuxdoc.org
dirtibution pages
they can read that using their existing OS

teach them basic console commands (cp, rm, ln etc.)

I agree with tha following :

> Teach them about the different X window managers

> TEACH THEM ABOUT LILO

>Teach them how to use BOTH emacs and vi

>both
> KDE and Gnome, and also netcfg....
>
> Show them that they can use other Office products instead of MS Office,
> Show them Star Office, Abi-word (suite), K-Office etc

and the last :

TELL THEM THEY CAN COMPILE THE KERNEL!!!
tell them how and that it is important and about main options

Regards

Joanna

------------------------------

From: "Joanna Jakus-Pol" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:07:25 -0000

It shouldn't be the final note - IT SHOULD BE THE FIRTS THING!
(most newbies dont know that they can help in Linux by reading man pages)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Does Code Decay
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:46:53 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:34:00 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>>
>> Bennetts family wrote:
>> > Unix could stay pretty stagnant for a very long time, with only bugfixes
>> > and driver updates/additions) and kick the crap out of Windows for a very
>> > long time. Windows is a lousy design, that needs to keep in touch with 20
>> > year old bodge fixes (FAT, etc). Unix did things a much better way right
>> > from the start. I predict that in 20 years time, Windows will still be on
>> > a FAT derived FS, and suffering miserably from it.
>> >
>> I think in 20 years Wintendo(tm) will be recognized as the single one
>> biggest errors in computing history.
>
>Kind of like the nuclear-fission handgrenade, but without the benefits.

Pedant point: I was given to understand that the critical mass of
plutonium is a few pounds, and needed to be physically separate
from itself (i.e., in several pieces which will ultimately be jammed
together by a special high explosive).  This does not appear to be
a form factor consistent with a hand-held, egg-shaped device with
a pullable pin.  Maybe a backpack, or a small trailer.

I could be wrong, of course; the only grenades I've seen have been
dummies of the sort that one might see on complaint department
desks (the ones conspicuously labled "Take a Number"; a '1' tag
is attached to the pull-pin).

:-)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- no, I don't want to find out the hard way.
                    This is the best part of the message.

------------------------------

From: Shane Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 07:50:12 +1100

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Shane Phelps wrote:

> > [ snip ]

> > > Well, it doesn't say to NOT dump a pot of coffee on the Sun server every
>morning....
> > >

> > No, you're confusing it with using a Krupps JavaStation as a percolator :-)
> >
> > [ sigsnip ]
>
> The Sad Part is...the Krupps JavaStation has better uptime statistics
> than both LoseNT AND Lose2000.

The Krupps is a very nice bit of gear. It's a pity Sun stopped making
them :-(
One of my clients has a *lot* of them, all tucked away where they're very
difficult to power-cycle. The users think they reboot them with the 3-finger
salute but all they're doing is reloading their application.

They were all supposed to be power-cycled once (in 1999) for a JOS upgrade
(JOS bug-fix to support a new application)
A month later there were reports of the new application being buggy.
It turns out that about 25% of the users had "rebooted" with the 3-finger
salute or by power-cycling the monitor.
Those are *really* computer-illiterate users ;-)

I suspect the TCO will rise when those users are moved to Linux or W2K
when the Krupps boxes die of old age :-(

[ sigsnip ]

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Games? Who cares about games?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:58:41 +0000

Darren Winsper wrote:

> It's a shame Rampage will never see the light of day.  Full DirectX8
> support and low-cost FSAA, sweet :)

Not heard of Rampage. Did see Incoming Forces - unfortunately based on DX8
RC1.

--
Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2