  Re: Computing Power to Peak SOON! (WAS: Moore's Law, continued...) (Bloody Viking)

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 16:54:30 -0500

Jim Richardson wrote:

> In article <ASDp6.25$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> I know some of the "cheap H1B imported labour", and they're really not
> > that
> >> cheap at all. I've seen the H1B debate raging on comp.lang.c++, and
> >> almost all the protectionists are a bunch of obnoxious stupid bigots
> >> who can't
> > get
> >> a job because they're barely intelligent enough to tie their own
> > shoelaces,
> >> let alone code. My SO sued to work at a place that employed H1Bs, and
> >> suffice it to say, they weren't "cheap" by any stretch of the
> >> imagination.
> >
> > "cheap" is a relative term.  I also know lots of H1B's, and while their
> > salaries are generally not too far out of line with the average entry
> > level salaray, they live under lots of restrictions.  For instance,
> > they're not allowed to switch jobs.  If they lose their job, they get
> > deported.  That means a company can work their H1B's 10, 14, 18 hour
> > days and the H1B has to put up with it or go back.  Since they're
> > salaried employees, they don't fall under the fair labor practices rules
> > when it comes to hours worked.
> >
> > Further, a company that has a significant number of H1B's doesn't have
> > to worry about "fringe benefits" that many people in the industry get
> > (Stock Options, Ping Pong tables in the breakroom, free food, etc..).
> >
> > While i'm certainly not the blather protectionist, I have seen first
> > hand how a company that hires mostly H1B's goes quickly to pot.
> >

> and with the shortage of technically skilled workers, I have seen
> companies actively recruiting H1B workers from other companies, offering
> to take over the visa.  Frankly I think H1B stinks, there should be no
> restriction. If they have a job, let them in, gladly.

Damn straight.  If we got rid of the fucking WELFARE system (paid for
by stealing from the the working folk), we wouldn't have to worry about
stupid work visas.

                        End Welfare NOW!

> --
> Jim Richardson
>         Anarchist, pagan and proud of it
> WWW.eskimo.com/~warlock
>         Linux, because life's too short for a buggy OS.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux Joke
Date: 09 Mar 2001 14:55:48 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) writes:

> ----
> OpenSSH has the SSH 1 protocol deficiency that might make an insertion attack
> difficult but possible. The CORE-SDI deattack mechanism is used to eliminate
> the common case. Ways of solving this problem are being investigated, since the
> SSH 1 protocol is not dead yet.
> ----
>
> This "insertion attack" is extremely difficult to execute and requires the
> attacker to be on the same network. In other words, it's only a problem if you
> have an evil genius next door.
>
> I maintain that it's one of the least "flawed" services
> that runs on Linux.

It's certainly stronger than telnet, which on a broadcast network
would tell everyone your password anyway.  I don't see Chad
complaining about it being installed (even though it shouldn't be,
IMHO).

The new default firewall rules in RedHat Wolverine are to block all
standard ports with installed services other than ssh.  It'll even
block HTTP unless you tell it not to.  This is all at the tcp/ip stack
level too; no monkeying with tcp wrappers and such.

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a PCI slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Bryant Charleston, MCSE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Macintosh as an alternative to Windows??
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 21:56:19 GMT

There's a lot of flak going back and forth over the issue of whether Windows
will ever truly be "challenged" in the "desktop" area by Linux. A HUGE
benefit of Linux is that it's open-source, and therefore free... as are the
applications that come with it. The biggest problems supposedly are: 1) it's
(lack of?) ability to automatically detect hardware (which I, for one, have
seen great improvement in, from dealing w/RedHat7), and 2) the lack of Linux
applications, which are "reliably-compatible" with what everyone else (in
the Windows "world") is using (this is why I personally was curious about
Star Office 5.2's compatibility w/MS Office 97/2000, as far as being able to
produce *.docs that could be read by Office 97/2000).

1) What do you folks feel about the Mac OS, as an alternative to Windows in
the desktop arena? The Mac OS is obviously an "established", easy-to-use OS,
and is chosen by many folks (over Windows) for various reasons. It appears
to be Microsoft's biggest opposition in the home-use category, and there's
plenty of industry support for it (software, downloads, etc), including even
Microsoft software. No one can say that you have to be a "rocket scientist"
to use it, which is one of the first excuses that a typical Microft advocate
would say about *nix systems. What do you folks think about this?

2) Has the Mac OS ever been "ported" to run on an Intel CPU (other than via
"emulation")? If it were, would the Mac OS stand a chance of satisfying
those folks out there who have the "use ANYTHING but Microsoft" view?

3) How does the Mac OSes stability compare to Unix/Linux? (never heard/saw
any studies addressing this, so I really don't know).

Just curious...

Bryant C Charleston
A+ Network + MCP MCSE (NT4)
Linux (RedHat7) Enthusiast

From: "Bryant Charleston, MCSE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NT vs *nix performance
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 22:00:46 GMT

Interesting solution!

Bryant C Charleston
A+ Network + MCP MCSE (NT4)
Linux (RedHat7) Enthusiast

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Masha Ku'Inanna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Macintosh as an alternative to Windows??
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 17:21:59 -0500

"Bryant Charleston, MCSE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7kcq6.41369$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> There's a lot of flak going back and forth over the issue of whether
Windows
> will ever truly be "challenged" in the "desktop" area by Linux. A HUGE
> benefit of Linux is that it's open-source, and therefore free... as are
the
> applications that come with it. The biggest problems supposedly are: 1)
it's
> (lack of?) ability to automatically detect hardware (which I, for one,
have
> seen great improvement in, from dealing w/RedHat7), and 2) the lack of
Linux
> applications, which are "reliably-compatible" with what everyone else (in
> the Windows "world") is using (this is why I personally was curious about
> Star Office 5.2's compatibility w/MS Office 97/2000, as far as being able
> produce *.docs that could be read by Office 97/2000).
>
> 1) What do you folks feel about the Mac OS, as an alternative to Windows
in
> the desktop arena? The Mac OS is obviously an "established", easy-to-use
OS,
> and is chosen by many folks (over Windows) for various reasons. It appears
> to be Microsoft's biggest opposition in the home-use category, and there's
> plenty of industry support for it (software, downloads, etc), including
even
> Microsoft software. No one can say that you have to be a "rocket
scientist"
> to use it, which is one of the first excuses that a typical Microft
advocate
> would say about *nix systems. What do you folks think about this?

There was a time when there were quite a few choices available, and
platforms available. Atari STs and Commodore Amigas come to mind
immediately. They all had their relative strengths and weaknesses. The Mac
Plus and the 1040 ST were both industry firsts, if I remember correctly, at
being the first desktop-class systems with a megabyte of RAM standard (boy,
have things evolved since then!), the Amiga did "multimedia", "plug and
play" and "pre-emptive multitasking" before they became Microsoft buzzwords.

There was a time when IBM compatible, or IBM clone meant something other
than what it means today (squat). Today, you're either Microsoft compatible,
Apple, or "a hobbyist OS" or using an OS that is "not ready for prime time."

Even with the "primitive" OSs back then, all of them were so much more
capable than what resulted from a massive marketting coup.

That, for example, the FUD of the time was that the Amiga was a machine that
supported 4,096 colors? And stereo sound? It'd NEVER make it as a business
machine (green/amber text, speakers that beeped at you)! .. that is a game
machine. Or just a video-appliance.

Commodore goes belly-up, and all of a sudden "Oh! We support thousands of
colors! And we support wonderful sound output! We call our innovative
technology 'multimedia'..."

Any OS out there would be a welcome "alternative".

> 2) Has the Mac OS ever been "ported" to run on an Intel CPU (other than
via
> "emulation")? If it were, would the Mac OS stand a chance of satisfying
> those folks out there who have the "use ANYTHING but Microsoft" view?

Don't think this has been done, to my knowledge.

> 3) How does the Mac OSes stability compare to Unix/Linux? (never heard/saw
> any studies addressing this, so I really don't know).

That I am aware of, it does not compare in reliability. With the exception
of Mac OSX, there is not yet any support for the "protected" memory and
pre-emptive multitasking. The Mac uses co-operative multitasking, similar to
Win 3.x. Applications cooperate with each other to divide up processor time.

But there has been much excitement and hype to the release of Mac OSX
because of those features to be included in the core of the OS. It's built
pretty much of FreeBSD.

That and it's one of those "It's about TIME you released it!.." type issues.
:D

> Just curious...

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: definition of "free" for N-millionth time
From: Pat McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 09 Mar 2001 14:25:33 -0800

Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> You guys just don't get it.  Proprietary extensions from a work, when
> put into a popular OS, CAN undermine the original through embrace-and-
> extend-and-make-incompatable.  ....

All of which has absolutely nothing to do with whether the BSDL code
is still free.  It is the M$-extended work which is not free.  M$ had
the freedom to profit from their work under their own terms (mostly).
The BSDL code owners gave M$ the license, the freedom, to do that.

Say all you'd like about the pros and cons of doing that, but DON'T
say that the BSDL code can be made non-free.  When you say that, you
demonstrate that YOU don't get it or that you enjoy maddening people.

Consider the Gettysburg Address.  Let's say that is free (though
in a slightly different sense).  Can it be made non-free by
incorporation into a copyrighted book which sells for $39.95?

It's probably legitimate English and not a lie to say that the
Gettysburg Address can be made non-free, but some of us find such
usage argumentative and worthy of complaint.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: What does IQ measure?
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 17:34:35 -0500

WesTralia wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >
> > Brock Hannibal wrote:

> > > I think you are confusing JD Salinger, the reclusive author of "Catcher
> > > in the Rye", with Pierre Salinger, former white house press secretary
> > > under JFK.
> >
> > whoops. :-)
> >

> Double posting?  That will cost you ANOTHER -5 IQ points.

Malfunctioning news servers have nothing to do with me, idiot.

Failure to differentiate poster behavior from server glitch:

-20 points

> -wt

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 17:34:59 -0500

WesTralia wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >
> > Brock Hannibal wrote:

> > > I think you are confusing JD Salinger, the reclusive author of "Catcher
> > > in the Rye", with Pierre Salinger, former white house press secretary
> > > under JFK.
> >
> > whoops. :-)
> >

> Too late to say, "whoops!"  That just cost you -5 IQ points.

And yet, I'm still a comfortable 70 points higher than you.

> -wt

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: 9 Mar 2001 22:36:29 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Scott Gardner wrote:
:>
:> On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 06:43:45 -0800, Brock Hannibal
:> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>
:> >> The only thing that IQ tests measure is how good you are at IQ tests.
:> >
:> >That's something dumb people say.
:> >
:>
:> When said in that exact trite manner, I would agree.  I would argue,
:> however, that it contains a grain of truth.  Tell me honestly that a
:> person that takes a lot of standardized tests (IQ tests and other
:> types) isn't going to get progressively better at it.

: Taking a lot of standardized tests does NOTHING to improve
: your mastery of the material.  At best, you would learn more
: efficient ways to color the little circles or rectangles.

Not true.  There *is* a skillset for dealing with multiple choice
tests that is learned over time.  Knowing, for example, that even
though answer A looks right you should still read the rest of them
becasue they sometimes have more than one right answer and an option
exists for "Both A and B are true".  This isn't something one is likely
to know if he hasn't taken many mulitple choice tests before, no matter
how intelligent he may be.  The stragey of doing the questions out of
order, hitting all the quick ones first before doing the ones that take
more time, assuming all the questions are weighted equally, is a skill
learned by taking many multiple choice tests.  Someone who knows
these things is likely to score better than someone who doesn't,
even if they have the same natural intelligence.

The problem with IQ tests is that you cannot scientifically isolate
intelligence and measure it all by itself.  The test will always
have other factors attached to it, like language exposure.  Someone
who can read faster, not because he's smarter, but because he's got
a history of doing a lot of reading and he's well-trained in it, will
score better than someone with the same intelligence who just hasn't
read as much.  The degenerate example of this would be some isolated
kid who's parents never put him in school and never taught him how
to read.  He might be highly intelligent but still lacking the chance
to pick up language skills.

The ability to communicate well is not necessarily a perfect indicator
of intelligence, yet it is a highly important factor that cannot be
removed from IQ tests.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.microsoft.sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Computing Power to Peak SOON! (WAS: Moore's Law, continued...)
Date: 9 Mar 2001 22:46:37 GMT

chrisv ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Umm.... No.  That will ALWAYS be too expensive.  Why double the cost
: of your machine when your Pentium VI - 10 (GHz) does everything you
: need it to do plenty fast?

The point is that a 10GHZ Pentium stock (as opposed to overclocked) will need
the same watercooling as overclockers do now. A full watercool kit now is less
than $100 without peltiers. That "Pentium Insane" chip will cost a fortune,
and an extra $100 for watercool isn't THAT big a problem. The problem with
watercool is that consumers will balk at the notion of water flowing around in
close proximity with flowing electrons. And I don't blame anyone for balking
at the notion.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.