Linux-Advocacy Digest #771, Volume #31           Sat, 27 Jan 01 16:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: All this Whistler stuff. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Run for the hills! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Uptimes by OS, for the Hot 100. ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Re: Tolerance.h (mlw)
  Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?) ("Chad Myers")
  Re: How long does your box run for? (Ralph Miguel Hansen)
  Re: Ramen worm/virus cracks NASA and others (David Utidjian)
  Re: THOLEN IS A MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT (Ralph Miguel Hansen)
  Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant (Roberto Alsina)
  Is the Web really fragile? (jtnews)
  Re: Run for the hills! (J Sloan)
  Re: Kernel upgrade - not bad at all ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?) (J Sloan)
  Re: you guys suck and so does your os! (J Sloan)
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else (J Sloan)
  Re: you guys suck and so does your os! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: 3100 W2K Adv Servers deployed accross Europe (J Sloan)
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else (J Sloan)
  Re: Tolerance.h ("Martigan")
  Re: Is the Web really fragile? ("Martigan")
  Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance (J Sloan)
  Re: How long does your box run for? (J Sloan)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: All this Whistler stuff.
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 19:10:36 GMT

Which question, I see multiple?

"SR" (in contrast to "SP") means a Service Release with new features.
Who doesn't want new features as time passes? (Oops, I forgot this is a
forum for essentially a 30 year old technology that doesn't keep up well
with new innovations.)

Even if "SP" was intended, are you really suggesting that Linux goes
more than 4 months without a single bug fix?

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Run for the hills!
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 19:13:03 +0000

kiwiunixman wrote:

> hmm, how old are you Pete? From the maturity of your post, you sound like
> a 10 year old with a chip on his sholder.

40 years old.

You've obviously never developed a "sense of humour".

--
Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uptimes by OS, for the Hot 100.
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 13:09:21 -0600

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> > Hello, Chad!  Four days and counting.  Where's that reply?
>
> Hello, Chad!  Five days and counting.  When are you going to come out and
> champion the Unix killer?

Hey, Chad!  Six days and counting.  Are you sure you haven't seen this yet?
Is your news server's DNS down or something?

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tolerance.h
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 14:22:03 -0500

It really is NOT about tolerance. It is about making sure that the notion that
linux is a viable OS in it's own right and has the opportunity to be accepted.
It is also about being loud and clear that Microsoft need not be the only game
in town.

Many of the "penguinista" (I kind of like that term, in a "freedom fighter"
sort of way) are fighting the good fight against Microsoft dominance. I do not
personally begrudge Microsoft's right to exist as a company, but it needs to be
shouted from the rooftops how bad their stuff is, and how much they have hurt
the computer industry.

I will be the first one to applaud and support them when put effort into
product quality and stability. I will be the first one to support MS Office
when microsoft makes a commitment to working with other vendors toward inter
operability.

Right now Microsoft is a blight. They destroy companies with unfair tactics,
they use their monopoly position to crush competition with better product. The
only reason why Linux even exists, is because it is free. No funded company
could have taken the time and resources to write an OS which could compete,
from scratch. Many old timers may remember "Go Computing."

What makes this situation even worse, is that countless billions are spent each
year playing "keep up with the API," and forcing 3rd party software vendors to
upgrade end user systems with "redistributable" components, which make it
virtually impossible to track what kind of Windows system someone is really
running.

DOS/Windows (9x and ME) are nothing more than realmode DOS and a bloated DOS
extender. NT/2K are nothing more than a virtual VMS clone with an emulated
Windows environment.

If you can't do what you want on Linux, then use Windows if you have too, but
if you want stability, economy, stability, usability, use Linux.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 19:05:27 GMT

"Johan Kullstam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > "Kevin Ford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Hmmm..... what's ext3 and reiser then
> >
> > Where are ext2 and reiser?
>
> reiserfs is available from ftp.namesys.com.

So?

So, I'm an enterprise. I have millions of dollars resting on the stability
of my XYZ software server. I have to be absolutely certain that it won't
go down because I lose thousands of dollars a minute on downtime.
I need, among other things, a rock-sold filesystem that I can depend on.
I can:

a.) Go with MS and have a filesystem that is true tested and has been
around for years
or
b.) Go with an unreleased, non-production, not-fully-tested filesystem
that even Red Hat and SuSE don't trust to be their default filesystem.

Uh-huh, sure.

> > Still not shipping or production.
>
> SuSE has been shipping reiserfs for some time now.

As an at-your-own-risk. Namesys doesn't claim it's fully prime-time.
It may be on the SuSE CD, but it a.) isn't the default OS, and AFAIK,
doesn't appear on the list of filesystems to choose from when you're
in the initial installation of Linux.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: Ralph Miguel Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How long does your box run for?
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:31:18 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:

> I'm curious, so I'd thought I'd fire off a question:
>
> How many of you leave your Linux boxen on 24/7 and how many of you switch
> them off every night?
>

> Cheers
>
> -Ed
>
> PS I switch mine off every night (mostly).

My PC's run 24/7 only when I am not at home, making a trip through Europe
in the holidays or something like that. So my longest uptime was about 20
days. Usually, I turn them on, start working and turn them out when going
to sleep.

Ralph Miguel Hansen

------------------------------

From: David Utidjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ramen worm/virus cracks NASA and others
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 14:33:02 -0500

Otto wrote:

[deletia]

> : Wow, guess what?  Red Hat has had fixes for over 4 months.  What are
> : they supposed to do, personally visit every site that uses Red Hat and
> : make sure the fixes have been installed?
>
> Although that's also true, but Red Hat should've fixed it in the version
> 7.0.

It used different exploits for RH6.2 and RH7.0. Apparently the exploits
that this worm used for 6.2 ARE "fixed" in 7.0. The exploits the worm
used for 7.0 ARE specific to 7.0.

IOW the exploits that the worm uses in 7.0 are different from the 6.2
exploits. All of the exploits the worm uses in 6.2 were fixed as of last
July. The 7.0 exploits were fixed by last November (at least).

-DU-...etc...

------------------------------

From: Ralph Miguel Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: THOLEN IS A MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:45:58 +0100

Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

snip

> 1) Get off your retarded ass...
> 2) Take your maggot-infested brain to the rim of Muana Loa
> snip
Would you please be so kind to tell me who is Muana Loa ?
I really don't know that.

Keep smiling
Ralph Miguel Hansen

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 19:44:27 GMT

> Pete Goodwin once wrote:
> >In article <94nmkd$8o8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >  Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> There is a legitimate reason to do what Aaron did.  There are some
> >> websites out there that check the browser type and alter their
> >> behavior accordingly.  Some of them don't account for the existance
> >> of Linux, and as such deny a Linux browser even when there's no
> >> technical reason it woudln't work.
> >
> >I don't think there are that many sites out there - I would have
noticed
> >as I use konqueror and Netscape from Linux.
> >

> How would you know unless you had compared them to IE5 at the same
time?

Erm, if a site "deny [access?] a Linux browser even when there's no
technical reason it woudln't work." itīs pretty easy to notice, even
if not comparing to anything.

--
Roberto Alsina

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 14:55:29 -0500
From: jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Is the Web really fragile?

On cnet.com's front page on,
January 27,2000 2:50 PM EST, it reads:

  Microsoft Under Fire
  --------------------
    Why was the company's
    network so vulnerable, and
    what does it say for the fragility
    of the Web?

What has Microsoft's problems got
to do with the Web?

As far as I can tell the rest
of the web worked fine and the problems
were only limited to Microsoft.

This is just another example of why it is
generally unwise to depend on Microsoft
Windows or any other proprietary OS,
including Solaris, for any real Internet
infrastructure deployment.

Why should your Internet infrastructure
be paralyzed because of the inability of
a single corporation to solve its own problems?

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 19:56:38 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> kiwiunixman wrote:
>
> > hmm, how old are you Pete? From the maturity of your post, you sound like
> > a 10 year old with a chip on his sholder.
>
> 40 years old.
>
> You've obviously never developed a "sense of humour".

Yours is so monotonous and single threaded -

It consists chiefly in bashing Linux, by all accounts.

jjs

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel upgrade - not bad at all
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 19:57:14 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Matthias Warkus"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It was the Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:30:14 -0500...
> ...and Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > I'm very happy and impressed with how smoothly it went, but (yes,
>> > there had to be a but ;)) I would imagine the process would be very
>> > daunting to somebody not comfortable with the unix command line. The
>> > whole process terrified my girlfriend...
>>

>> yeah and i'm sure if she ever has to install Windows from scratch on a
>> bare hard drive she will have that same feeling. (remember she would
>> need a bootdisk with a cdrom driver and mscdex.exe on it,
>
> Vade retro satanas. In my limited experience, there's hardly anything
> nastier in the DOS world than dealing with CD drives.

SCSI.

-Ed

--
Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:01:10 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> So, I'm an enterprise. I have millions of dollars resting on the stability
> of my XYZ software server. I have to be absolutely certain that it won't
> go down because I lose thousands of dollars a minute on downtime.
> I need, among other things, a rock-sold filesystem that I can depend on.
> I can:
>
> a.) Go with MS and have a filesystem that is true tested and has been
> around for years

bzzt - wrong answer - if you look at the track record
of windows nt, the all too frequent crashes and the
need for therapeutic reboots make it a poor choice for
the data center.

If you must use something with a long track record, at
least use something with a GOOD track record.

Solaris, HP-UX, or AIX should all fit the bill.

In many cases, so will Linux or FreeBSD.

> or
> b.) Go with an unreleased, non-production, not-fully-tested filesystem
> that even Red Hat and SuSE don't trust to be their default filesystem.

Not sure what you mean by "default", but reiserfs has been in
production use for some time, not by bleeding edge hackers,
but conservative european businesses.

Face it chad, you're outgunned and outmanned here.

jjs

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: you guys suck and so does your os!
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:10:35 GMT

"." wrote:

> Christian Beaumont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > By the way,  the other question for you, reading my mail - do you think I am
> > pro Linux or against?
>
> Not that anyone really gives a shit, but no one who is pro-linux would ever
> use Outlook Express.

The simple fact is, it is for windows pcs only, so it's a
non starter for a Linux user anyway, case closed.

However, there are a number developments under
way even as we speak, so to speak. There is a new
mail/calendar/pim application under development
for the gnome desktop, called "evolution". I'm told it
compares quite favorably with outlook.

jjs

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:11:37 GMT

John Hasler wrote:

> Edward Rosten writes:
> > Christian morals were also invented by people.
>
> And the US was _not_ founded on "Christian beliefs".

You're splitting hairs -

There was a strong deist influence, at the very least.

jjs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:15:51 GMT

This intelligent mature response certainly addresses the appropriateness
of the original post...

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3100 W2K Adv Servers deployed accross Europe
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:16:34 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> Who holds the #1 - #4 spots on the TPC.org TPC-C performance rankings?

Just the fact that chad asks the question tells us that
there are some windows pcs there -

My prediction is that these windows records will
be broken by Unix systems - maybe solaris, maybe
aix, maybe Linux, maybe all of the above, but they
will not stand.

jjs

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:17:56 GMT

Ah, thanks for the correction -

jjs

------------------------------

From: "Martigan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:20:11 GMT

    I'm sorry but I was meaning Tolerance for the M$ Die hard fans that will
not see the other way., along with the die hard Linux fans that believe
Windows is a piece of sh*t.  Both OS's have a good point about them.
Windose is for people whom do not wish to learn about their OS; just to plug
it in and it works.  Linux is for the people whom do wish to learn as much
as possible of the OS and enjoy the challenges.

    I too wish to bring the experience of Linux to all my friends, but they
don't have the "tolerance" to learn a new thing.

    You are right in the fact that M$ can't take down Linux cuz it is a
community, religion, or a Free Idea.  If something is free how do you buy it
out?

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Martigan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Is the Web really fragile?
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:22:23 GMT

    Well to put it frankly, the companies are refusing to hire the
self-taught teenager of the 80-90's to run/protect their systems and are
hiring College grads with 2-4 years of book experience.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:23:55 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> No, just ones on LinuxToday.com and C't. There are several ZDnet ones that
> show Linux doing things better. I've never questioned the validity of those.

c't is one of the best technical publications around -
I'm sorry to hear that their failure to worship microsoft
makes you uncomfortable.

> It's just ironic how there are several companies out there doing benchmarks
> of Linux vs NT but never publish the results, or the results aren't very
> conclusive. We don't have ONE major benchmark showing Linux doing anything
> really all that well except for SpecWeb. Ever wonder why there aren't many,
> if any benchmarks showing Linux winning anything?

Well, how long has the 2.4 kernel been out?

Give it a few months.

jjs

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:25:04 GMT

Edward Rosten wrote:

> I'm curious, so I'd thought I'd fire off a question:
>
> How many of you leave your Linux boxen on 24/7 and how many of you switch
> them off every night?

The general practiice here is that windows pcs
get shut off, Linux boxes run 24x7.

jjs