From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 00:11:32 -0400

"Donald A. Newell Jr." wrote:

> Just a thought, but wouldn't a  uCLinux  work on ladder logic?
> Haven't yet seen a SPICE for Linux, but there may be one...

there's about 10 different ones to choose from.

Most every distribution includes at least two (a normal text-oriented
one, plus another with a graphical front-end).

> It would be a bit more complicated than a real-time PGA algorithm...
> Something to code for in a future wish-list...
>
> Don
>
> > Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > If you have never used it, it would seem strange. But just think, there
> > > was automatic code generation before PCs. You can draw a diagram on your
> > > display, and it starts running. The VM reads a line of the drawing and
> > > executes it. Sort of like having a VM read a UML diagram and run the
> > > code.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Michael Serdar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:12:45 -0500

"Osugi Sakae" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> The fact remains that they are stealing. Yet, somehow, companies keep
> making profits. MS in particular keeps posting record profits. For
> something that anyone can copy?

I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that most software
profit comes from sales to business.  Average Joe Homeuser can get away with
running his pirated copy of Office, but if a company has employees using
their systems, they run the risk of being reported to the authorities if
they run illegal software.

Also, do you think the price of $500 for Office is really directed toward
the average homeuser?  MS knows what its doing, obviously (Bill Gates is the
richest man in history) and they know they can make more money selling their
software as being high-end and marketed towards businesses as opposed to
average Joe Homeuser who's just going to copy it from his friends anyway.

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 12:17:06 +0800

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <snype>
> > Hehe, come on matt...
> >
> > Seriously, where's Illustrator? Photoshop? Quark Xpress? Indesign?
Flash?
> > Colin McRae Rally? Half-Life? Flight Simulator? Dreamweaver? Director?
Shall
> > I go on?
> >
> > None of these apps have even similar-quality equivalents in Linux.
> >
> > I use Staroffice 5.2 also btw. It's great (for those rare times when I
> > actually need an office suite). What the guy said isn't FUD, it's the
god's
> > honest truth. For a regular joe user, Linux is useless. It's great for
> > programmers, but that's about all. If you want to get some R&R or do any
> > kind of design-related jobbie, linux is sort of a dead end. Also, I'm
not
> > sure why they call win98 bloatware, when my Mandrake 7.2 install took up
> > almost a gig and a half.
> >
> > It's ok in an office environment though, if office work is all it's
going to
> > be doing. Linux is a really good turnkey OS but not great at doing many
> > varied things. That falls squarely in the court of Windows / MacOS.
Unless
> > it's games. Than there's nothing but windows (and not even 2000, just
98).

> As for running it in a design studio, I don't see in the short term
> Linux making huge inroads, however, how do I or any one else knows that
> Adobe of Macromedia are quiety testing out pre-alpha linux versions of
> their software on Linux?

How do we know they are?

> maybe they are just hanging around and may
> release it when the time is right.

And maybe they won't.

In order to be productive, you need *the software*.

Speculation doesn't get work done.

Windows has the software, Linux doesn't.

>  No one knows.  As for photoshop and
> Quark Xpress, howmany home users out their use those sorts of titles,
> considering Photoshop in NZ is $2500 +GST, and Quark Xpress is around
> the same amount.

Many companies (such as the one I work at) have deals with major software
suppliers such that it allows the employees to work at home.

I am not sure how these deals are done, but I do know that companies like it
when their employees work from home :)

> As for the area of games, most people I know use gaming consoles such as
> Sony Playstation because they can use it on their tv and have a larger
> picture.

There are many console gamers, yes.

But they are different from PC gamers.

This is the same argument OS/2 users use because they know Win32 games
*rock* ; and they don't run on OS/2 (or Linux for that matter).

Console games are played on TVs with a rez. of about 240x160... I am sure
you are not going to say that 'rockz' over playing Quake3 in 1600x1280 :)

Also, most console games are so limited they just don't impress me.

Tribes 2 on a console ?  NOPE.

Ground Control on a console ?  NOPE.

Age of Empires II on a console ?  NOPE.

Space Empires IV on a console ?  NOPE.

get my point?

The types of games PC gamers like mostly don't exist on a console.

> Currently there are, for linux: Civilization: Call to Power,
> Myth II, Railroad Tycoon II, Eric's Ultimate Solitaire, Heretic II,
> Heroes III, Quake III Arena, Heavy Gear II, SimCity 3000, Sid Meier's
> Alpha Centauri, Soldier of Fortune, Descent3, MindRover, Unreal
> Tournament, Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns, Tribes 2, Deus Ex Rune, Heavy
> Metal: F.A.K.K.2

You just said most gamers like consoles, and now you are printing the almost
complete list of games for Linux (very very limited compared to Windows).

So what exactly was your point?  (oh and the Tribes 2 client is NOT ready
for Linux yet)

> That doesn't include some of the freeware games out there. So the range
> of games available is quite extensive.

But not *nearly* as extensive as for Windows.

> As for the comment regarding the size of Mandrake, that includes
> StarOffice,

StarOffice is *ok*, but not nearly as great as MS Office.  Also, you need to
be able to read and write what the rest of the world uses - and that is the
(proprietary) Office formats.  (Hey - I wish the formats were pure XML -
don't flame me)

> uncompressors, compressors,

WinZip is the best on the market - a win32 app.  There are a bazillion of
these tools for Win32 as well.

> browsers,

Yet Linux doesn't support IE6 - the best browser by far.  Please oh Please
don't even mention Netscape - I can pull back zillions of posts about how
crappy netscape is (from all Linux users).

And please don't try to convince w2k users that IE crashes - you will lose
your credibility.  YES, it does crash a LOT on 9x platforms ( I know it
because I have used it at WAN cafes)

BTW - Win32 has IE, Opera, MSN, GEO, and yes, buggy and crashy Netscape
(although it didn't crash for me that much...)

> mediaplayers,

Heh - Win32 has a ton more media players than Linux.  It even has "Media
Player" which is going to blow your mind when you see version 8.

BTW, it may be proprietary, but I tried out MS' new audio format.  It really
does sound better - and it compresses more.  The downside is that it *is*
proprietary... bummer.  *But*, the *technology* is better and MS created it.
Wish they would submit it to the standards board.

> server
> tools,

Ok, besides the *old* MacOS, what OS *doesn't* have server tools???  W2k has
more server tools than I know what to do with.

> development tools and many other third party tools you would
> spend hours looking for and downloading.

The best development tools exist for Win32.

There was a nice shot of ID working on DOOM3 - and the ID developer was
using... <drum roll/> Visual C++

Need I say more?

-Todd

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 00:18:41 -0400

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> >> No, of course not; they're not allowed to make such choices.  Linux for
> >> women's rights!  :)
> >
> > Fuck them.  They already have too mancy privileges and not enough
> > responsibilities, you simpering, ass-kissing ninny
>
> more anti-freedom rhetoric from anti-freedom Kulkis.

Let's see...

What do you call a system where

Class A has many burdensome restrictions and many responsibilities
bot Class B, and NO privileges,

while Class B has unlimited freedoms, no restrictions and zero
responsibilites to Class A

That is called FEUDALISM, is it not?

Now...look at the society which feminism has made for us.

Class A above is defined as "men"
Class B above is defined as "women"

So much for freedom and equality.

Any man who supports Feminism is a self-flagellating idiot.

> --
> Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> elflord at panix dot com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: those who know me have no need of my name <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
gnu.emacs.help,alt.religions.vim,alt.religion.emacs,fj.editor.vi,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Tired of XEMACS, moving to VIM
Date: 22 Apr 2001 03:19:28 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> divulged:

>guru     doesn't edit code; uses the command   cat > file.c

i believe you mean:

cat > file

as in directly executable.

real guru's don't need no stinkin' compiler, nor a linker.  heck, some
don't even need an underlying o/s.

heh.

--
okay, have a sig then

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 04:28:22 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> > > Fuck them.  They already have too mancy privileges and not enough
> > > responsibilities, you simpering, ass-kissing ninny
> >
> > more anti-freedom rhetoric from anti-freedom Kulkis.
>
> Let's see...
>
> What do you call a system where
>
> Class A has many burdensome restrictions and many responsibilities
> bot Class B, and NO privileges,
>
> while Class B has unlimited freedoms, no restrictions and zero
> responsibilites to Class A
>
> That is called FEUDALISM, is it not?
>
> Now...look at the society which feminism has made for us.
>
> Class A above is defined as "men"
> Class B above is defined as "women"
>
> So much for freedom and equality.
>
> Any man who supports Feminism is a self-flagellating idiot.

Well I would say that it depends on what type of feminism.
Turn-of-the-century-feminism wasn't as insistent as Steinem-feminism to
turn women into Oprahized-overemotional blabbering idiots.

Intelligent and successful women are to busy succeeding to vomit forth
nonsense about how 'oppressed' they are.

I heard some idiotic college professor go on NPR and blab that women
were under-represented in the computer industry because of...

computer games!!! She was claiming that through 'Lara Croft' and the
like, women were being painted into a 'sex-kitten role' (let's see: a
woman portrayed as a strong Indiana Jones character who eludes her male
pursuers... yeah that is oppressive).I wanted to reach through my radio
and slap her wart-riggen face.

But, of course, such expressions of utter contempt are by and large not
productive. Better to humiliate her intellectually than to allow myself
to be portrayed as a reactionary.

--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: soc.men
Subject: Re: Women's rights and responsibilities.
Date: 22 Apr 2001 04:58:38 GMT

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 00:04:13 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>>

> They get many privileges, and many restrictions

Such as ?

> In contrast, in the United States, we have stripped all of men's
> privileges, and all of womens' restrictions, giving us a society
> where men have all the responsibilities and restrictions, and women
> have all of the privileges.
>
> In other words...FEUDALISM.

You're getting hysterical, Aaron. Are you saying that women form some sort
of aristocracy ?

> American women are allowed to drive, go out of the house unescorted,
> and run off with 50% of a man's wealth PLUS a substantial sum of
> 2 decades of his future earnings, all by getting pregnant by
> Dangerasshole, but designating Mr. High Achiever the father on
> the birth certificate.

As opposed to Saudi-Arabia, where men are allowed to divorce for
any reason, but women have to prove that they have been wronged ?

BTW, your assertion about US law is over-simplified at best. Moreover,
(even if your assertion was true) the law is not so much anti male
as it is biased towards the partner who's earning less.

> The primary reason why male/female relationships in the United States
> are in such a sorry state

On what basis do you make this claim ?

> is entirely due to the fact that feminism
> tipped the delicate balance of power from level to anti-male in
> every respect

And in spite of all this, men seem to be doing remarkably well ...

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Y'all should be happy about this (or maybe not, I dunno)
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 05:11:33 GMT

http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/04/22/stinwenws01023.html

Maybe this is the beginning of the end. As much as I spend a lot of time
defending MS in here, I'd still love to see BG go. MS software is indeed
getting worse, it's time for new direction (I'd also like to see
crome-dome go too).

--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 22 Apr 2001 00:03:36 -0500

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 20:00:15 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Chad Everett wrote:

>> >EVERY COMMO CHIEF has classified material.  THAT'S THE FUCKING JOB.
>> >GET OVER IT.
>> >

>> Don't lie.  Not in their homes they don't.
>
>Did I say it was in my *HOME*?
>
>a) yes
>B) NO.

Sure ya did.  You said they're "in your safe".  Where does YOUR safe reside?
If it's on government property somewhere, then it not YOUR safe, now is it?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: 22 Apr 2001 00:21:57 -0500

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:22:02 GMT, Chronos Tachyon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[Removed soc.singles from crossposting]
>
>On Sat 21 Apr 2001 05:28, Chad Everett wrote:
>
>  [Snip]
>>
>> Trouble is homosexuals are a politically vocal group who want to shove
>> their sexuality down the throats of everybody else who want to treat it as
>> a purely moral issue.  The homosexual lobby in the US is actively
>> working to outlaw free speech and freedom of religion.   Your fantasy
>> that "it's their own business" is nice.  The homosexual lobby wants
>> to make it the business of everybody.  They want to teach my children
>> all about homosexuality and prevent me from saying one word in protest
>> about it.
>>

>I think it's "teachable moment" time. :-)
>
> [ - big snip - ]

Thank you for proving my point.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 21:26:21 -0700

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 14:10:21 -0400,
 Scott Erb, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>Jim Richardson wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:38:23 -0400,
>>  Scott Erb, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>  brought forth the following words...:

>> >You raise some good points -- dictatorship in the name of Allah or Jesus
>> >or any cause or creed shares some commonality in that centralized
>> >governmental power enforces the beliefs of the leaders about how their
>> >ideology should be implemented.
>> >
>> >Fascism and Communism as *ideologies* are very different.  In practice,
>> >things get murky.  Socialist Kurt Schumacher, who (like most Social
>> >Democrats) fought against Communists and Fascists in street fights in
>> >Weimar Germany, and then was imprisioned by fascists for 12 years, after
>> >which he fought against the Communist take over of East Germany, called
>> >Stalinists and Soviet style communism "red lacquered fascism."  He
>> >didn't see a difference, he thought they were both fascist.  Yet he was
>> >a proud socialist and Marxist.
>> >
>> >So the point is that we can compare ideologies (in which case fascism
>> >and communism are very different), governmental practices based on the
>> >labels given (in which case there are some similarities, though as
>> >fascism is an ideology based on irrationalism and anti-reason, it can
>> >range from Franco's conservative pro-church fascism to Hitler's rabid
>> >racism), or idealized views of how that ideology should look in practice
>> >(whereas democratic socialists regard the East bloc as opposed to their
>> >values).  In any case, debates like these unfortunately tend to become
>> >ones where labels are used to insult or ridicule, rather than understand
>> >the differences between systems and how they function.
>>
>> I don't care what you call it, I don't care what philosophy backs it, if it
>> initiates force, it is statism, the only question is how bad.
>>  All governments are bad, are inherently evil, some are merely less evil than
>> others.
>
>Your opinion is noted.  However, you believing it doesn't make it true,
>and the rest of us will act on our own, often very different, opinions.

Understandable, however, initiation of force against me will result in
retaliation (not that I am implying that you would do so, simply that it is my
responce to force, whether from a "government" or an individual)
 You are free to live your life as you see fit.

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 21:37:36 -0700

On 22 Apr 2001 02:57:27 GMT,
 Donovan Rebbechi, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 07:22:12 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>> Ace Agincourt wrote:
>>>

>> Yes.
>>
>> He should also be put on trial for Treason.
>>
>> And sentanced to hanging by his testicles.
>
>Typical thuggery from Kulkis. You're not a libertarian at all, you're
>a spiteful hoodlum.
>
>--

He's a hoodlum, but he's right in one point. Bill Clinton should be tried for
murder resulting from the bombing of Sudanese and Afghan targets which he
instigated despite the vehement opposition of both the military and the state
department. If indeed he ordered those bombings as a "wag the dog" cover for
his impeachement and the Jones testimony, then he should be imprisoned as we
would any other violent felon.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: Recommendation for web email
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 21:44:46 -0700

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 02:20:52 GMT,
 MH, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>I believe  linuxmail.org is run on IIS. As for the service, it's not too bad
>except for the fact that it doesn't load correctly on NN 4.7x under linux.
>

>"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9bnkb8$a2djb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>nice
>support

>> > email.com is pretty good
>>
>> You could also try www.linuxmaill.org - an email site run exclusively on
>> Linux - I haven't tried it personally though so cannot comment on quality
>> of their service.

result of lynx -head http://www.linuxmail.org

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 04:07:25 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) mod_perl/1.21
Last-Modified: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:41:07 GMT
ETag: "11340b-ed1-3ad426b3"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Proxy-Connection: close

So "MH" you believe what exactly again?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 21:48:27 -0700

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 13:10:47 +0200,
 Roy Culley, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>In article <82ND6.833$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> I believe  linuxmail.org is run on IIS. As for the service, it's not too bad
>> except for the fact that it doesn't load correctly on NN 4.7x under linux.
>
>You believe? Why don't you just find out for yourself. Never heard of
>telnet? If you aren't up to it then www.netcraft.com will get the
>info for you. You are just spreading FUD as usual.

lynx -head http://url is a pretty good guide ofttimes, and it says that "MH" is
full of shit.