From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler, yet another Windows push.
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 17:53:52 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "mlw"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Here we go again, it was less than a year ago that the Windows zealots
> > were saying Win2K would kill Linux, yada, yada, yada.
> >
> > What did we get? 120 day MTTF. LOL.
> >
> > Now whistler, how quickly the Windows zealots dropped and ran from
> > Win2K, the product they once so vehemently defended and promoted. This
> > is just another example of the, "This (version, service pace) is rock
> > solid, unlike that last
> > (version, service pack)."
>
> I don't get it. (Sorry, but I'm about to use a car analogy :-)
>
> If you bought a car and it was crap and broke down the whole time, would
> you buy another of the same make . Lets say you gave them a second chance
> when they said the new version is really reliable, but it wasn't.
>
> Would you ever consider the same brand again, even if they claimed the new
> car was 13 times more reliable?
>
> So why do the Winvocates keep trusting a company that has consistently
> produced bad goos?

Because they're afraid of moving from hand-crank to electric start.
After all, that key thingy is waaaaay too complicated.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another thing I've noticed.
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 17:55:03 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > FACT: linux does not force you in to software and hardware upgrades.
> >

> > How many people are running on `old' systems? I'm running on a P133 and
> > under Linux it runs fine. It won't even run the latest version of
> > windows.
>
> Huh?  Windows runs fine on a P133.  Heck, I've run WIn2k on a P100 laptop.

Translation:  Erik ingests SERIOUS quantities of sedatives before
        powering up his Windows laptop.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Chris Clement" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy!
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 17:03:07 -0600

I guess you are referring to me when you say "Windows CEMENT".  Very clever,
but check the spelling.  First, let me stress that I am NOT a Windows
"advocate".   I use both Windows and Linux.  Right now, I am typing on my
Windows computer, with my Linux laptop sitting next to it.  I use them both
personally and professionally as a network engineer and web developer.  No,
this does not make me an expert, just another Joe with an opinion.   And
yes, I have found that Linux is quite stable until a GUI is installed.  I
have installed Linux many times and my troubleshooting always begins when I
use the graphical interface.  Like I said, it is getting better all the time
and I think eventually it could become extremely stable.  But as of right,
it just doesn't match Windows.   Like I said, this is from my own
experiences.  It is perfectly fine if you disagree.

Seeing as how I am new here, I am not familiar with the acronym "MTTF".  I'd
appreciate it if you could feel me in.

Chris Clement

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 16:57:31 -0600

Bennetts family wrote:

> You are in fact conceding that anyone using a server should be using Linux,
> and you're right!

The entire history of the anti-Linux FUD  campaign has been a step-by-step
narrowing of the argument to specific applications.  They've pretty much
painted themselves into a corner, with no turf left to battle on except the
desktop marketshare, and the main argument there being limited to the fact
that Windows still gets more vendor support because it's more popular.

There's not a very good exit strategy from that position.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: "Chris Clement" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 17:07:01 -0600

"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chris Clement wrote:
>
> > Bad goods?  Exactly which products produced by Microsoft are bad?  And
which
> > products are superior?  Linux is great as a server, but for the
consumer,
> > forget it.  Linux is light-years from being a consumer product.
>
> Light years? sorry, but you protest too much.
>
> Linux fits the bill right now for 95% of what users need.

Not it certainly does not.  Can I install Quicken, Starcraft,  and other
popular software?  Not without tweaking Wine.  Not something 95% of
consumers want to deal with.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Windows is fired again
Date: 28 Jan 2001 23:14:53 GMT

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>mkdir con
Unable to create directory

Ok, no problem, ill just do it with the "GUI"

Right click on desktop, select "new", and then "folder".
So far so good, I have a nice new folder on my desktop called
"New Folder".  Lovely.

Click on the folder name, attempt to change it to "con":

"Cannot create or replace file: The filename you specified is
invalid or too long.  Specify a different filename.

Dammit.

Alright, ill switch to linux then:

bash$ cd /mnt/winblows/
bash$ mkdir con
mkdir: cannot create directory `con': Invalid argument

Whoa.  Hmmm.

bash$ cd /home/yttrx
bash$ mkdir con
bash$ ls -a con
./  ../
bash$

Uhhhm, yeah.  What was that about ext2/reiserfs again?

=====.

--
"It's natural to expect there might be people doing stupid things
with computers"

---Michael Vatis, director of the FBI's national infrastructure
protection center commenting on Y2K concerns about hacker attacks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 28 Jan 2001 23:18:27 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>Come to think of it, I haven't had *any* crashes under Linux for quite some
>>time.

> Of course not.
> You are using half your hardware and in all likely hood are using less
> applications than you do under Windows.

(forgive my BSD leanings)

bash$ ps auxwww | wc -l
76
bash$

Hmm.  Lets compare that with the number of processes running under W2K, thats
WITH a copy of unreal tournament running, internet explorer and all my happy,
useless toolbar button thingies:

33

Thats interesting.  Looks like youre quite incorrect.

> Compare apples with apples and see what happens.

I did.  Windows lost.

=====.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 18:18:20 -0500

"." wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > In article <94spcu$pre$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >       [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:

> >> Bullshit.
> >>
> >> As has been shown beyond the shadow of a doubt in the latest elections
> >> in the united states, your vote DOES NOT COUNT.
> >>
> >> Happy dreamworld,
>
> > Too true. Most democracies in the world exist because brave people gave
> > up their lives to get it. Now we have the situation where large multi-
> > national companies control politics. You cannot vote this kind of thing
> > out, especially in the US where both party's are almost as bad as each
> > other. I'm sure, come the next US presidential election, nothing will
> > have been done to control campaign spending. The difference next time
> > is that the fundy Christians will have greater control than they do now.
>
> > Can anyone tell me why there were 2 ministers speaking at Bush's inauguration
> > and why he said 'so help me god' at the end of his oath? I though religion
> > and state were separate in the US.
>
> Only on paper.

You misspelled, "Leftist ACLU fantasies"

The Constitution does NOT prohibit mixing the state and religion, it
merely prohibits:

A) the ESTABLISHMENT of a religion, and
B) government interference in religious organizations.

Freedom OF religion =/= Freedom FROM religion.

> What that means is that we arent allowed to tax churches.
>
> But churches are allowed to run the government in any way they see fit.
>
> Very nice.
>
> -----.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 18:18:59 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> Huh?  Windows runs fine on a P133.  Heck, I've run WIn2k on a P100
> >> laptop.
> >
> > Oh stop it.  W2K (which I have run on a wide variety of hardware) is
> > nearly unusable on a P100 laptop.
> >
> > Hell, its nearly unusable on my P166 w/64mb ram.
>
> Its partly my fault for being inaccurate. Technically, windows 2K will
> run on a P100 laptop.

And if you take enough Quaaludes, you won't notice how slow it is.

> -Ed
>
> --
> Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
> weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr
>         - The Hackenthorpe Book of lies                   |@
>                                                           |eng.ox.ac.uk

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 18:19:51 -0500

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Chad Myers in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 28 Jan 2001 14:00:56
>    [...]
> >>
> >> If so, let's hope they have better luck than these people when they
> >> try to use Win2K for their enterprise application:
> >>
> >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/16075.html
> >
> >Ah yes, the register. Constantly on the look out to make up stories
> >that show MS in a bad light.
>
> "Make up"?  When you spout bullshit its facts, but when someone gives
> you facts, they're "making up stories"?
>
> >Of course, the obvious answer to this article is is that Delphi's
> >admins are incompetent.
>
> Bwah-ha-ha-ha!  *Delphi's* admins are 'incompetent'?!?
> Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!

On the other hand, M$ *ADMITS* to having incompetent admins.

> >They choose some back-woods network card
> >that doesn't have good drivers (which, if I were them, I would switch
> >right then. If the company that I buy NICs from can't write stable
> >drivers, I don't want them as my NIC vendor any more).
> >
> >Suddenly bad drivers means the OS is bad. Shall I print you a list
> >of drivers that I have had problems with on Linux? Does this make
> >Linux unusable now? Somehow, when drivers are bad on Linux, it's
> >ok, it's the vendor's fault, but then they're bad on Windows,
> >it's Windows' fault, right?
> >
> >*Rigggghhhtttt*
>
> What a pathetic little sock puppet you are, Chad.
>
> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 23:23:46 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Chad Myers wrote:
> > >
> > > "Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > [snip]

> > > Ah yes, the register. Constantly on the look out to make up stories
> > > that show MS in a bad light.
> > >
> > > Of course, the obvious answer to this article is is that Delphi's
> > > admins are incompetent. They choose some back-woods network card
> > > that doesn't have good drivers (which, if I were them, I would switch
> > > right then. If the company that I buy NICs from can't write stable
> > > drivers, I don't want them as my NIC vendor any more).
> > >
> > You forget:
> >
> > a) That "good drivers" are available for low end performance, and not
> > high end.
>
> Intel makes damned good high-end server NICs and their drivers are
> a perfect compliment. Anyone who knows anything typically uses these.
> The ones that don't typically use 3COM, which is probably what happened
> in this case.

You mean that Win2k doesnt provide decent drivers for 3COM NIC?
That 3Com Gigabit 3C985 which is used for the CERN supercomputer (maybe
you heard of it) isn't worth a support from MS?
When it's got a Linux driver?
However both Intel and 3Com provide NIC's 1000Base-SX as per standard
IEEE 802.3z
So it's not a matter of brand.
Well maybe Win2k is enterprise ready, but only if you think of
enterprise in terms of grocer's shop.

> > b) That there's more than drivers:
> >
> > <quote>
> > Our mole adds: "According to the Microsoft's HCL, Hardware Compatibility
> > List, on their web site, there are only 7 software suites certified to
> > be compatible with Windows 2000 Advanced Server, the version that
> > corporations will be using. No virus software, no system management
> > software.
>
> At the time of printing, I guess.

January the 5th, not one century ago.

> The list has been updated several times.

Since january the 5th?

> Just because the software isn't on the list doesn't mean it won't run, it
> just means that Microsoft's limited compatability lab is probably bogged
> down with thousands of request.

You must choose. In order to have relibale operation must it be in MS's
HCL or not?

> A problem, you'll note, that doesn't exist
> on Linux because there aren't thousands of applications to test, and
> no one is testing them in the first place.

Only on the Mandrake 7.2 boxed  you may find 2300 tested applications,
which are just a fraction of what is available for Linux.

> > "Although IBM DB2 and MS SQL are certified recently, Oracle, SAP, Access
> > and hundreds of common software are not. No wonder W2K looks
> > increasingly like Windows 3.0, waiting for Whistler to really launch it
> > as a network platform for corporations."
>
> No bias there.
>
> > He claimed: "Microsoft has not released any figures on corporation W2K
> > server migration figures, almost a year after its release. The fact is,
> > there are significant interoperability problems with other software,
> > with driver availability, with skills scarcity, not to mention the
> > tremendous learning curve and cost of change of implementating W2K,
> > which is so different and so complicated that most corporations seems to
> > want to wait for Whistler instead."
> > </quote>
> >
> > So much for the "enterprise ready" W2k.
>
> This is all heresay and actually bullshit. It's obvious this guy,
> who, by the way, works for Borland (a hated enemy of MS no less) has
> a bone to pick.

Well, do you have any idea on why Borland hates MS?. They make their
living selling tools which should run under MS OS's.
But if the OS is crappy, they must work twicw as hard just to get
acceptable results. BTW Borland makes software, as opposed to crap.

> So much so, that he's willing to expose his own
> incompetence with the product to put it forth.
>
> Many successful companies (Dell, NASDAQ, Lycos, and many others)
> are using Win2K quite successfully and more successfully than NT 4.0.
>
> This guy really is just an idiot.

Are you really sure? Maybe he knows something about enterprise computing
on a scale larger than the grocer's shop scope of MS.

> > > Suddenly bad drivers means the OS is bad. Shall I print you a list
> > > of drivers that I have had problems with on Linux? Does this make
> > > Linux unusable now? Somehow, when drivers are bad on Linux, it's
> > > ok, it's the vendor's fault, but then they're bad on Windows,
> > > it's Windows' fault, right?
> >
> > Wasn't a Windows argument the lack of drivers on Linux?
>
> Lack of, not quality of. There are poor quality drivers on both
> platforms.
>
> > When I pay thousands of $ for an OS I ask much more from vendor, if you
> > don't mind.
>
> Right, it's the vendor's fault, I totally agree. But that's why you
> go with more reputible high-quality vendors like Intel and the like.
> These guys must have bought bargin-bin NICs (which makes sense since they
> don't seem to be making much money these days) and then blamed
> their own incompetence and their poor choice in NICs on Microsoft.

They're speaking of high end NIC's, which, for someone knowledgeable,
means gigabite. Did you ever hear rumors about them?

> It's interesting you guys bring this up as an argument. This really means
> that you have no argument.

Or that you have no clue.

> If I were attacking Linux and an article came out like this in the reverse,
> I'd at least be half-way intelligent enough to recognize that this was
> an operator error, not Linux's fault. I would expect the same from you guys,
> but it appears that you are too desperate for a valid attack on Win2K that
> you'll pick out anything that looks even remotely close. Pretty sad,
> really.

Yes, it's really sad. But you may learn. There's always hope.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 18:24:27 -0500
From: jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows is fired again

con is a reserved device name in windows
for console (keyboard).

From: "Tony Neville" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: you guys suck and so does your os!
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:35:40 +1300

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Christian Beaumont wrote:
>
> <Needless sillyness deleted>
>
> >By the way,  the other question for you, reading my mail - do you think I am
> >pro Linux or against?
> >
> >-chris
> >

> Despite *THIS* newsgroup or *THESE* newsgroups, you can not deny
> that Linux is growing at a rapid rate.

That's no indication of one OS's popularity compared to another.  A 1% increase
in sales of Windows OSs may equate to, says, one million purchases, whereas
a 25% increase in sales of Linux OS may equate to 500 thousand purchases.
Microsoft's Windows OSs have a massive userbase already in existence, so
of course its rate of growth would be lower.  If Mr Bloggs created an OS and
gave a copy to a friend who installed it on his pc, its rate of growth would be
100%.   Would you then say Bloggs' OS is becoming more popular than
either Linux or Windows?  Naaaaahhhhoooo....

> And as time passes, Windows is becomming more bloated, bug ridden
> and expensive.

Windows ME is cheap, but the others are exspensive.   I paid around $500
for Windows 98 OEM in mid '99, but overtime I find it has been well worth it
because of the huge choice of freeware and shareware programs available,
their being easy to install, and being able to update various Windows components
to newer versions easly and for no cost, and also my hardware works extremely
well on this OS.  As for bloat, I have a 20gig HD so it really doesn't matter to
me.  Although my PII 266MHz system isn't considered bleeding edge these
days, everything works well to my statisfaction.

> And therefore you can not deny that at some point in the future you
> company's system and your home PC will indeed switch to Linux.

I'm a worker at a company that makes tin cans and spools, and haven't got
a clue what they use.  My boss runs outlook express on his PC at work and
an engineer has set up a quality control camera monitoring system which runs
software he has written on Windows 98, that's all I know.   I'm looking to
stay with Windows.  I've had Linux Slackware installed, and currently have
Linux RedHat 6.2.12 installed.  But I find that Windows is just so much easier
to use than Linux and vastly more friendlier overall.

Cheers,
            Tony.