  Re: KULKIS IS A MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Adie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: I am preparing to teach a Linux class and I am soliciting advice
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 00:34:08 +0000

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:32:50 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>i.e. teach them HOW TO READ a 'man' page....that is, how to extract
>relevant information out of it.

What is a man page?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks
Subject: Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:29:19 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> "Kevin Ford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > The price is the thing. We can get ten Linux servers as good or
> > better than 1 AIX server, 4 Solaris servers or 3 Windows servers.
> >
> > This is why Linux rules.
>
> Except for the small issue that Windows NT is still in place, while you
> linzealots insist that Linux can replace Windows on the desktop.  It can't,
> sadly, dolts like Kulkis (who would sooner lob off his left testicle then
> admit to a UNIX based anything having anything less than total perfection)

Unix has several legitimate faults.

However, Kyle Jacobs has yet to identify any of them.

> are your biggest, most well heard, albeit unofficial spokesmen.
>
> > And when you add that it is free to cluster these ten boxes and
> > not to cluster any of the others then performance and power ramps
> > up exponentially.
>
> Great, Linux has free clustering, that IS a good perk.  Now, when those
> clustering devices can multiprocess a method to eradicate the minutia that
> supports the platform AND transform it into a GUI based platform, we'll call
> that a technological revolution.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:30:02 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> "Kevin Ford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > The price is the thing. We can get ten Linux servers as good or
> > better than 1 AIX server, 4 Solaris servers or 3 Windows servers.
> >
> > This is why Linux rules.
>
> Except for the small issue that Windows NT is still in place, while you
> linzealots insist that Linux can replace Windows on the desktop.  It can't,
> sadly, dolts like Kulkis (who would sooner lob off his left testicle then
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Care to discuss the quantum-dynamic behavior of semi-conductor devices?

> admit to a UNIX based anything having anything less than total perfection)
> are your biggest, most well heard, albeit unofficial spokesmen.
>
> > And when you add that it is free to cluster these ten boxes and
> > not to cluster any of the others then performance and power ramps
> > up exponentially.
>
> Great, Linux has free clustering, that IS a good perk.  Now, when those
> clustering devices can multiprocess a method to eradicate the minutia that
> supports the platform AND transform it into a GUI based platform, we'll call
> that a technological revolution.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: THOLEN IS A MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:34:01 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Eric Bennett writes:

> >> Yet another person with a foul mouth.
>
> > How ironic, given your own foul mouth.
>
> Where is the alleged irony, Eric?

Deep inside Muana Loa, Tholen...I suggest you go look for it.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:34:59 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> Rather one-sided to be using "vs".
>
> > Mabey, but he is still arguing with you (even though you don't respond).
>
> Illogical, given that it takes two to argue.

Tholen thinks he's Spock.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:35:46 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Marty writes:

> >> That part of the situation has changed, but Marty has since joined in,
> >> which means that some parts of the situation have changed.
>
> > Actually, the situation hasn't changed.  I'm still ignoring Tholen,
> > and have been for over a month.
>
> Correction:  you're merely not responding to me directly.  You're still
> on the offensive in other discussions.  For example, with Sten.
>
> > Dave is still posting his ridiculous response like he had in other threads.
>
> What alleged "ridiculous response", Marty?
>
> > He hasn't moved on.
>
> Illogical, given that the issue was "malloy vs tholen", Marty.

Did you put on your pointy green ears when you wrote that?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: KULKIS IS A MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:37:22 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis writes:
>
> > Marty wrote:

> >> Actually, the situation hasn't changed.  I'm still ignoring Tholen, and have
> >> been for over a month.  Dave is still posting his ridiculous response like he
> >> had in other threads.
>
> > .....for over a decade.
>
> Still lying about that, eh Kulkis?  Well, you've tried invective, you've
> tried lies.  What will you think of next?

I distinctly remember reading your mindless ramblings BEFORE the Gulf
war (as that was the last time I had USENET access until 1997)

> >> He hasn't moved on.
>
> > Understatement of the decade.
>
> How ironic.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: GODDAMNED STINKING PIECE OF SHIT KULKIS
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 00:40:59 GMT

>>> "[Bad-Knees]" wrote:

> [...]

>>> Unnecessary.

>> Illogical.

> Don't start with that Tholen-ish crap.

What alleged "Tholen-ish crap", Kulkis?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:38:13 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis writes:

> >> Yet another person with a foul mouth.

> >> I haven't replied to Malloy.

> >> Of course; Malloy continues to post, despite the fact that I haven't
> >> responded to him.

> >> Yet another person who relies on invective rather than a logical
> >> argument.
>
> > Donkey-raper.
>
> Classic invective, as expected from someone who lacks a logical argument.

No..it's IN ADDITION to my logical argument, semen-breath.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 00:43:56 GMT

Edward Rosten writes:

>>> Mabey, but he is still arguing with you (even though you don't
>>> respond).

>> Illogical, given that it takes two to argue.

> Read his posts. It looks like he's arguing,

With whom?

> in fact he is arguing,

With whom?

> but he's getting no response.

Not much of an argument, is it?

> He's certainly attempting to argue.

Do make up your mind.

>>> I think vs. is justified.

>> What you think is irrelevant; the fact is that it takes two to argue.

>>> I believe it is, but that's just an opinion.

>> What you believe is irrelevant; the fact is that it takes two to argue.

> See above.

I see an inconsistency above.  First you said he is arguing, but then
you said he's attempting to argue.

>>> That part of the situation has changed, but Marty has since joined in,
>>> which means that some parts of the situation have changed.

>> Not the parts relevant to you calling it "malloy vs tholen".

> How about
>
> malloy vs (tholen)
>
> to indicate the subject, but also to indicate that you are not taking
> part.

How about "malloy vs ", to indicate that nobody else is taking part.
Why specify me?

From: "Robert Morelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux  headache
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:22:28 -0600

In article <9567o0$dib$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>>> Sure,  it's easy!
>
> My patients with people like you is running out. Nothing requires you to
> recompile a Kernel. Just get the latest kernel package from your distro.

I don't know what I need your patience for.  I didn't ask you for
anything.

As for recompiling the kernel,  why don't you ask the original poster
why he has been trying to do it.  I'm sure it didn't just pop into his
mind spontaneously.  Let me also quote Matt Welsh
from the O'Reilly book ``Running Linux'':  ``Rebuilding the kernel sounds
like a pasttime for hackers,  but it is an important skill for any system
administrator.''

Why do we need to rebuild the kernel?  Because of a serious design flaw
in Linux according to which device drivers were embedded directly into
the kernel in a very sloppy and non-modular way.  In the past few years
there has been a move towards loadable device drivers,  an idea which
the rest of the world discovered sometime in the age of dinosaurs.
Remarkably,  the issue is still being debated.  You may have seen a much
publicized letter from Eric Raymond to Linus Torvalds a few months ago
in which Raymond ironically maintained that the only way Torvalds was
able to maintain such a poorly designed kernel was that he was a
`genius.'

>>> 1.  First,  you download about 13 MBs of compressed source
>>> code.
>>> 2.  Then you have to set about two hundred or so obscure parameters
>>> to create an appropriate make file.  You'll probably make the false
>>> assumption the first time through that the defaults are appropriate.
>
> Things like: Enable support for sound (really obscure)

I didn't say that all of the parameters are obscure,  only about 200.
Some of them,  like support for sound,  are pointless.  Others are
puzzling.  Still others are troubling.  And so on.  They fall into
various categories.

>>> (Like the default:  kernel hacking)
>>> 3.  Then you build.
>>> 4. Then install the new kernel and rerun lilo.
>>> 5.  Then reboot and get a kernel panic.
>
> That's a plain lie.

Do you mean to claim that you can't get a kernel panic by doing the
above?  That's just not so.  You can,  and it's not so hard in fact.

>>> 6.  Then you go to another computer and post a desperate help message
>>> in the newsgroups.
>
> Reboot with your old kernel or a bootdisk
>
>>> 7.  A day or so later,  you'll get your computer to boot again.
>
>>> 8.  You go through the two hundred or so parameters more carefully,
>>> trying to figure out which ones were wrong.
>>> Trust me.  After a few days,  it finally will work.
>
> You're a fool. I'm not going to trust you because you are a liar. Mine
> worked first time.

I thought you said there was no reason to rebuild the kernel.  Yours
worked the `first time,'  so I suppose you've done this more than once.
Why?

>>> By the way,  all kidding aside,  asking the end user to do bizarre
>>> things like recompile the kernel,
>
> No, one does, fool.

If no one does,  what was it that worked for you the first time?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:40:55 -0500

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > Actually, most Linux users are more technical than
> > > the average windows user, and furthermore, most
> > > Linux users were windows users at one time. So the
> > > idea that a Linux user can't tell the difference between
> > > 95 and nt is just plain silly.
> >
> > You'd be surprised. Many of your ilk post to this newsgroup and begin
> > bashing WinNT and 2K for faults of 9x. We have to continually explain
> > to them that, yes, NT/2K do have a fully 32-bit pre-emptive multitasking
> > kernel and yes, they do have a fully virtualized memory space, and yes,
> > they do have a full security implementation including process isolation,
> > required user-logon and pervasive security checking at all levels just
> > like in Unix, only better.
>
> except that they are more awkward.  that is why so many run NT as
> "administrator".  NT doesn't have the equivalent of unix' su.  i
> understand w2k has fixed this.

Maybe.

In typical Microsoft fashion, they probably grafted the foot onto a wrist.

> --
> J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
> [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Don't Fear the Penguin!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 00:45:32 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Hmmm, where did UNIX, OS2, and MacOS, come from,
> Europe?  Further, since Linus has moved here,
> Linux is a product of the US too.

MacOS, Unix, and OS/2 all predate Windows.

Linux is not the product of the US. It is a product of the community
and Linus just happened to move to the US.

Vilmos

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 00:45:05 GMT