Linux-Advocacy Digest #887, Volume #31            Thu, 1 Feb 01 06:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: Microsoft is FUN and Linux is BORING (David Steinberg)
  Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy! (Pete Goodwin)
  The 130MByte text file (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Microsoft is FUN and Linux is BORING (mitch)
  Re: Who was saying Crays don't run Linux? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: The 130MByte text file (J Sloan)
  Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy! (J Sloan)
  Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy! (J Sloan)
  Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy! (J Sloan)
  Re: Microsoft is FUN and Linux is BORING (John Travis)
  Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy! (J Sloan)
  Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy! (J Sloan)
  Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy! (J Sloan)
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else (Ian Davey)
  Re: Whistler predictions... (Peter Hayes)
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else (Nick Condon)
  Re: The 130MByte text file (Bruce Scott TOK)
  Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy! (Nick Condon)
  Re: Yum! A new laptop screen, i thinks ill fry it! (meow)
  Re: New Microsoft Ad :-) (Giuliano Colla)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Steinberg)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Microsoft is FUN and Linux is BORING
Date: 1 Feb 2001 08:43:52 GMT

David Dorward ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: It seems that on <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] put fingers to keyboard and produced this:

: > Of course it was so simple to download and install because the link is
: > right there on the MS home page. Upon starting up the Media Player it

: The link to get xmms (on the other hand) is so well hidden. Lets see
: shall we. Visit xmms home page. Click download. Click the link for your
: system. Gee that was so hard.

And because it always bears repeating...

In debian, just type:

"apt-get install xmms"

and it gets downloaded, intsalled, and configured.  Windows simply cannot
compete with that kind of ease of use.

--
David Steinberg                             -o)
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC         / \

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy!
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 08:46:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> IT ALREADY ***IS*** installed, you fucking MORON.

No it isn't, o twit of the century.

--
---
Pete

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 08:47:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You GODDAMNED LIAR....you don't need to install a "telnet server"
> you ignorant buffoon...it's part of the base networking package
> (you know, ping and stuff).

Oh pillock, I am not lying, it is not there.

Besides, isn't telnet deprecated?

--
---
Pete

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 08:51:51 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But of course, remember, this is pete's special
> horked up computer - he set it up so he could
> "counter linux advocacy"...

There's nothing special about this machine. It's an out-of-the box
Linux Mandrake 7.2 installation.

--
---
Pete

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 08:53:43 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You certainly enjoy playing the clown....

And then I descover that PFE _can_ load a 130MByte file. In fact it
created it, reloaded it etc.

And then Linux VIM happily loaded it - but KEdit crashed and the
Advanced Text Editor HUNG LINUX. Oh dearie dearie me. Not even Windows
hangs with PFE. It keeps on a truckin'.

--
---
Pete

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 08:50:56 GMT

In article <95a0p0$rel$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Your disingenuous whining aside, my results differ from yours.
Moreover, I
> wouldn't use AbiWord to view 100 meg log files.  Unfortunately, after
> wordpad, notepad, pfe, word, and a half dozen winApps fail to handle
that
> type of file, your only resort would be to open it up with one of the
tools
> that comes with your mandrake system.  I would've had the job done by
then.

As I said in another post I used PFE to create a 130MByte file. No
problem.

Curiously, I tried the same file on Linux and _what_ do I find.

VIM has no problem with it (no surprise there), however, why does it
appear to load a large section of the file?

KEdit crashed. Oops!

The Advanced Editor hung my system! Oh dear! Not even Windows does
that! It might struggle but it keeps on going. Linux froze rock solid,
with the disk rattling to itself.

This is the system that is so much more stable that Windows! HAH!

--
---
Pete

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 08:55:21 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <pete goodwin>
> I su'ed to root and did  rm -rf /
> to remove everything; now, it won't boot.
> Linux sucks.
> </pete goodwin>

<Aaron Kulkis>
I typed

C:\
delete /s *.*

Windows blows.
</Aaron Kulkis>

--
---
Pete

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 08:57:15 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Pete, this is why you are such an utter FAILURE.

I'm not aware of failing anything, o soft-head fool.

'tis Linux that is failing.

I mean, it can't even load a 130MByte file with a crash or a hang. Even
Windows can do it, and Windows is supposed to be the least stable of
the two.

--
---
Pete

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 09:03:11 GMT

In article <zF1e6.19$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Bennetts family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Pete, if you hate Linux so much, then go and bugger off to Windows,
and stop
> trolling around here.

What, and spare you the suffering of me find all these juicy problems
with the wonderfully robust system that is Linux, you know, the one
that has trouble loading a 130MByte text file?

--
---
Pete

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 09:01:59 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > When Windows boots, the lights come on the hub box.
> >
> > When Linux boots, the lights go out on the hub box.
>
> How long have you been suffering under this delusion.

I can post a photograph of it if you don't believe me.

> > Hence, I can't see half my USB devices.
>
> Try opening your eyes.

You'll need your eyes open to see the photograph. Or can't you see
problems in Linux? Is that it? Is it a blind spot I wonder?

> > Linux is the retarded one, o fool.
>
> retard. HOSTS don't know anythign about USB hubs, your retard.

Wassa host gotta do with it, o impaired one? Linux switches off the USB
hub.

--
---
Pete

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: The 130MByte text file
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 09:12:57 GMT

Someone here tried to tell me that AbiWord was a wonderful package and
that I can't compare it to anything on Windows.

Imagine my surprise when I load a 0.5MByte file into it and it has the
heebie-jeebies. It redraws incorrectly, it hangs, it redraws etc. Then
I press CTRL-A to select everything, and... it redraws incorrectly, it
hangs and so on. I even took snapshots of it that I may post if y'all
start calling me a liar.

And then I'm told PFE can't load a 100MByte file, in fact not even
close to that. So I tried it, and what a surprise! Not only does it
load more than 100MBytes it goes on to create a 130MByte file, reload
it all with no problems!

I then tried Linux with this stupendous file. VIM handled it with no
problems - though I question why PFE and VIM took so long to load it.
Editors used to work by only loading what was needed, not the whole
file.

So I tried KEDit of KDE 2.0. Oops! It crashed.

So I tried the Advanced Editor... oh dear, my desktop is hung! Mouse
stuck, terminal stuck, the whole shebang has frozen!

As I have no TELNET access, I'm stuck (and so is anyone else who only
has one PC and no network access).

This is the wonderfully stable system that is Linux folks!

Now, I must try a few GNOME editors and see if they fare any better.
How about StarOffice, what will it do with this file? Or what about
Microsoft's word? Will it barf, do you think?

--
---
Pete

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mitch)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 09:35:38 GMT

On 1 Feb 2001 01:06:28 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:

>In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Microsoft has done more than any other company to put computers into
>> the home and to make them friendly and fun to use.
>
>Apple did more.  It cannot be denied that MacOS is easier to use
>than windows, and much easier to learn.

Ahem.  Clive Sinclair.

--
Smileys are nothing but conceptual wheelchair ramps for the humor impaired.
 - Geoff Miller

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who was saying Crays don't run Linux?
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 04:04:27 -0600

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > but
> > >
> > > I ran your post through babelfish, and the result was -
> > >
> > >     "If it doesn't run on Windows, it ain't worth squat."
> > >

> > > FYI, Linux has all but taken over a market where Microsoft doesn't
even
> > have a
> > > toehold.
> >
> > Why are you people so incapable of sticking to a topic?
> >
> > The topic, is someone stating that Linux is running on Cray
supercomputers
> > based on a link.  The real fact is that it's not a Cray supercomputer,
it's
> > a Cray cluster of average computers.  Yet in your hurry to slam
everything,

> If you consider machines which use liquid nitrogen to cool the CPU as
> "average"....

Not at all, but then the Linux SuperClusters aren't cooled by liquid
nitrogen, now are they?

You are confusing the old liquid nitrogen cooled supercomputer with their
cluster system.  The cluster runs Linux, the supercomputer doesn't.  Even
cray's current vector and MPP supercomputers don't use liquid nitrogen
anymore.  They're all water cooled.  (those would be the machines that don't
run Linux).

> > you don't bother to understand what you're commenting on.

And again, you prove my point.

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The 130MByte text file
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:02:26 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> As I have no TELNET access, I'm stuck (and so is anyone else who only
> has one PC and no network access).

If they have a Linux or other Unix system, a dumb terminal
can be hooked up to a spare serial port.

> This is the wonderfully stable system that is Linux folks!

Yes, well, while you are clowning around figuring out how
to further hork up your poor little box, people in the real
world are seeing quite different results - for instance, all
my production Linux internet servers have been up for
precisely 228 days - ever since having upgraded the
kernel from 2.2.14 to 2.2.16 last June.

But then again, I've got work to do, and don't have time
to try to create a broken system just to I can "counter
linux advocacy" - is that why I don't get your results?

> Now, I must try a few GNOME editors and see if they fare any better.
> How about StarOffice, what will it do with this file? Or what about
> Microsoft's word? Will it barf, do you think?

I dunno, I recently saw ms word lock up windows when I
tried to open a file it didn't like -

jjs

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:03:43 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <zF1e6.19$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Bennetts family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Pete, if you hate Linux so much, then go and bugger off to Windows,
> and stop
> > trolling around here.
>
> What, and spare you the suffering of me find all these juicy problems
> with the wonderfully robust system that is Linux, you know, the one
> that has trouble loading a 130MByte text file?

That's funny, it seems that pete has no end of problems
with his poor abused little box.

I think he enjoys the misery, and tries to find problems...

jjs

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:05:31 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Pete, this is why you are such an utter FAILURE.
>
> I'm not aware of failing anything, o soft-head fool.
>
> 'tis Linux that is failing.
>
> I mean, it can't even load a 130MByte file with a crash or a hang. Even
> Windows can do it, and Windows is supposed to be the least stable of
> the two.

And most people realize that is indeed the case -

I'm not sure what you're up to, but you are indeed on
a mission to fabricate difficulties, so as to "counter
linux advocacy".

jjs

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:08:53 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > You certainly enjoy playing the clown....
>
> And then I descover that PFE _can_ load a 130MByte file. In fact it
> created it, reloaded it etc.
>
> And then Linux VIM happily loaded it - but KEdit crashed and the
> Advanced Text Editor HUNG LINUX. Oh dearie dearie me. Not even Windows
> hangs with PFE. It keeps on a truckin'.

The linux that IBM, HP and Dell are excited about doubltess
bears no resemblance to the miserable specimen you have
somehow created, if indeed it does exist.

Your shenanigans do indicate that you are indeed "on
a mission to counter linux advocacy"...

jjs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Travis)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 09:56:09 GMT

And David Steinberg spoke unto the masses...
:And because it always bears repeating...
:
:In debian, just type:
:
:"apt-get install xmms"
:
:and it gets downloaded, intsalled, and configured.  Windows simply cannot
:compete with that kind of ease of use.

LOL.  Not to mention all the other stuff you can obtain for it the same way :-)

jt@cs1609-155:~$ apt-cache search xmms
xmms-modplug - ModPlug plugin for XMMS
xmms-cdread - Input plugin for XMMS that reads audio data from CDs
smpeg-xmms - SDL MPEG Player Library - XMMS plugin
xmms-osd-plugin - XMMS plugin using xosd
xmms-dev - XMMS development static library and header files
xmms-status-plugin - Status panel applet for XMMS
libflac-dev - Free Lossless Audio Coder - development
library xmms-volnorm - XMMS plugin that gives all songs the same
volume level xmmsarts - aRts Output plugin for xmms
libflac0 - Free Lossless Audio Coder - runtime library
flac - Free Lossless Audio Coder - command line
tools gkrellmms - GKrellM XMMS Plugin
xine - MPEG, VCD, DVD audio/video player for X11
wmxmms-spectrum - XMMS spectrum analyser plugin for the Window Maker dock
xmms - Versatile X audio player that looks like Winamp
xmms-flac - Free Lossless Audio Coder - XMMS input plugin
xmms-crossfade - XMMS Plugin for Crossfading / Continuous Output

jt

PS  WMP7 is a horrid PILE OF SHIT.  Still running 6.X in 2K.
--
Debian Gnu/Linux [Sid]
2.4.1|XFree4.0.2|Nvidia .95 drivers

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:11:28 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > But of course, remember, this is pete's special
> > horked up computer - he set it up so he could
> > "counter linux advocacy"...
>
> There's nothing special about this machine. It's an out-of-the box
> Linux Mandrake 7.2 installation.

No, your endless woes and "stepping on the rake and
whacking yourself in the forehead" type of adventures
pretty much guarantee that this is no normal Linux
system. Mandrake would be out of business is it
were anything like the sad affair you have been
complaining about....

jjs

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:14:53 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> VIM has no problem with it (no surprise there), however, why does it
> appear to load a large section of the file?

fancy that -

> KEdit crashed. Oops!

oops, better submit a big report - even though the kde
that shipped with mandrake was a beta version, it really
won't hurt to make sure that bug is truly gone...

> The Advanced Editor hung my system! Oh dear! Not even Windows does
> that! It might struggle but it keeps on going. Linux froze rock solid,
> with the disk rattling to itself.

Oh, I'll bet you just induced a memory starvation/swap storm
and decided it was "froze solid" - how much memory do you
have, and how much swap?

> This is the system that is so much more stable that Windows! HAH!

Linux is indeed much more stable than windows - but
I wouldn't give a plugged nickel for your system Pete -

Somehow I just don't think it's representative....

jjs

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:17:20 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > You GODDAMNED LIAR....you don't need to install a "telnet server"
> > you ignorant buffoon...it's part of the base networking package
> > (you know, ping and stuff).
>
> Oh pillock, I am not lying, it is not there.

If it's not there, that means you said "no" to telnetd,
and most likely a lot of other things during the install.
It is possible to install a "workstation" with no services
whatsoever, as you likely did.

> Besides, isn't telnet deprecated?

Yes, you should be getting familiar with ssh, but
telnet is still standard equipment. It's on your
install CD for sure.

jjs

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:23:40 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> As far as Atheists are concerned, god doesn't exist any more than Santa Claus
>> or the Easter Bunny.
>
>Which *IS* a belief in itself.

Not true. I read lots of novels and enjoy them, but don't believe any of the
content as it's just fiction. There's no belief system wrapped up in it.
There's no need to pay any attention to people who elevate stories into a
belief system.

There are lots of fairy tales with different versions told of them, the fact I
don't believe they are true doesn't make that act of disbelief a "belief
system". That's just absurd.

My favourite version of the Jesus story is the one where the time traveller
Karl Glogaeur goes back to witness the crucifiction, finds Jesus as a drooling
idiot and ends up takes his place in the rest of the story[*]. The bible is
simply a collection of similar moral stories, just like what has been
represented by Fairy Tales. They're both just different ways of expressing the
same thing, these stories can be useful as examples and supply useful sticks
and carrots for those who do believe them.

So where does any form of belief come into this? Next you'll be claiming that
science is a religion as well (rather than a collection of theories).

ian.

* courtesy of "Behold the Man" by Michael Moorcock

 \ /
(@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
/(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
 | |

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler predictions...
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:19:57 +0000

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:18:59 +0200, "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> "Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>

> > You mean you *still* have to reboot when you upgrade an application? Just
> > the job for a "floor-to-ceiling NT/2000 shop" - change a printer driver on
> > a server and the whole place grinds to a halt.
>
> Yes, and strangely enough, most (all?) of the software that *require* reboot
> comes from MS.
> For 99% of the other software, you wouldn't need to reboot.
>
> You don't need to reboot to install new drivers.

I thought you did, but in any event, don't you need to re-install the
latest service pack plus all the hotfixes if you make any alteration to the
configuration. ISTR that's the jist of the warning message you get when
applying a service pack.

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 1 Feb 2001 10:21:38 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aaron R. Kulkis) wrote in

>However, this has NOTHING to do with Microsoft.  They have NEVER been
>*granted* a government-sanctioned monopoly.

All copyrights and patents are government granted monopolies. Microsoft
holds many.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bruce Scott TOK)
Date: 1 Feb 2001 11:23:25 +0100

In article <95b9al$6c1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pete Goodwin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I then tried Linux with this stupendous file. VIM handled it with no
>problems - though I question why PFE and VIM took so long to load it.
>Editors used to work by only loading what was needed, not the whole
>file.
>
>So I tried KEDit of KDE 2.0. Oops! It crashed.
>
>So I tried the Advanced Editor... oh dear, my desktop is hung! Mouse
>stuck, terminal stuck, the whole shebang has frozen!

Stuff like that is windows-imitation crap.  Try emacs or vi on big files
like that.  I do it routinely.

--
cu,
Bruce

drift wave turbulence:  http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~bds/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)
Date: 1 Feb 2001 10:36:03 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin) wrote in
<Op_d6.14522$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Nick Condon wrote:
>
>> Bullshit. Every Unix system in existence supports telnet from inetd.
>> There are no Unix telnet servers.
>
>Bullshit yourself.
>
>It won't install.

Every Unix system in existence supports telnet from inetd. In simpler
language, the telnet server is an integral part of your TCP/IP sub-system.

The only way that what you claim could be true is you don't have TCP/IP on
that machine. If you have TCP/IP installed, that's all you need for your
system to serve telnet clients. There is no "telnet server" to install,
that's the Microsoft paradigm.

Now, perhaps your system is configured to ignore telnet requests, but that
is a completely different issue.

Your claim to have tried and failed to install the telnet server package is
- to put it charitably - mistaken. You might as well be claiming the driver
for your keyboard's "A" key won't install. People will laugh at you for
saying it.

------------------------------

From: meow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Yum! A new laptop screen, i thinks ill fry it!
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:42:12 GMT

Ok so first you say this

> Liar.  LCD screens are NOT susceptable to damage by too high of
> a dot-clock setting.

And then strangely you say this...
> Translation: Meow was tooo STUPID to read the EXPLICIT INSTRUCTIONS
>       to reference his monitors specs for maximum dot-clock frequency.
> So experienced, that you COMPLETELY IGNORED *specific* and *dire*
> warnings to make sure that you don't specify too high a frequency?

Bit of a contradiction there. First i cant damage it by setting the dot
clock setting too high and then next paragragh i can?!?

So y'all telling me i cant destroy a monitor with software yet as this
guy clearly states you can by setting the dot clock too high.
This IS software driven so software CAN destroy the monitor
This is exactly what i was talking about when i mentioned the software
should choose these settings itself and not even let you choose
something too high

Mr_StillAngryButSonyHaveReplacedItAnywaySoThatsOkButICertainlyWontBeInst
allingLinuxOnTheMachineAgainTillTheyLearnToCodeProperly

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:51:06 GMT

nuxx wrote:

> "Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > > Do you have a link for that?  Because that's *just* over 5 minutes a
> > > year, and for all the bleating MS does, I've never talked to a 2k admin
> > > (that I trust not to lie...  newsgroups? ha!) that would claim they only
> > > need to reboot their machine once or twice a year.
>
> Here's one.
>
> > Due to the intrinsic crappiness of MS software, and its
> > chronic inability to cope with real world events, it happens
> > that situations slowly build up so that finally you're
> > forced to reboot. You're not dealing with random events, but
> > with predictable ones. If you use statistics, you're wrong.
> >
> > Therefore if you succeed in keeping up 100 servers for 5
> > days (which is not so bad for Win2k), and stop your test at
> > the first crash, you may claim an average uptime of 500
> > days, but it's not correct.
> > The average uptime is just 5 days, because all the other 99
> > will crash in a short time, for the same reason.
> >
> Do you really believe this?  If the best you can do is keep W2k Server up
> for 5 days then you have no business being anywhere near it.  Perhaps being
> in charge of a Playstation would be more appropriate.

I fully agree with you. Playstation is the most appropriate
service for a Win machine. A smart guy like BG has
understood it, and is entering the playstation arena. Maybe
he'll have some hard time, because he deals with competitors
which know how to make a system stay up until the game is
over, but in any case it will make less damage than trying
to push his crappy system in the enterprise environment.

I also think that someone not appreciating the fact that the
claimed uptime can only have been computed in a statistical
way, combining shorter uptimes of many machines, will have a
hard time understanding a playstation.