  Re: More Mandrake Fun :( ("Adam Warner")

From: Alan Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 22:00:55 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Kevin Zvonek wrote:
>>
>> >  (1) Tech Innovation
>>
>> Zero on both counts... There is no evidence they have contributed to
>> "innovation" within the pc industry... sure they used a 1900's "assembly
>> line" technique... but in the area of "computing" they were "no shows".
>

>THERE IS NO POINT IN TECH INNOVATION IF NOBODY USES IT.
>Even if the company "steals" this innovation.
>Think about it.

And stealing innovations isn't being innovative.

>> >  (2) Entrepreneurial Skills and Financial Management
>>
>> High on Micheal's and High on Financial for Bill, but neither has the
>> skills of the other... so they are complements rather than full power.
>
>Gates had the skill to realise that he doesn't have the skill, hence
>Alan
>and Balmer

That would be "Allen".

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tread carefully when advocating Linux & OpenS
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 17:17:19 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> gswork <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : More over this may come though in apps developed.  'For developers by
> : developers' is not a good design paradigm for the average app to be
> : used by the average user.   We might be comfortble with command line
> : parameters, computer jargon and so on but others are not.  That's
> : partly why Mac and MS developers spend so long on making their
> : apps 'friendly'.  Point and Click is not inherently evil.
>
> The reason for the hostility is that oftentimes on those systems
> point and click interfaces are the *only* way to access some
> feature, and that situation "feels" wrong to someone used to
> being able to script everything.  For example, in Windows when
> you want to set the IP address for a network card, you can do it
> in the control panel.  You can, in theory, also do it by altering
> a value in the registry, IF (and this is a big IF) you could find
> some documentation on what value to edit in there.  If you could
> do that, then you could script it.  But that documentation is
> nonexistant, because Windows (and Mac) is a GUI-first world,
> where once the vendors show you how to edit something in the
> GUI they feel their obligation to you, the user, is complete.
>
> The additude seems to be, "If you want to know a little bit more
> because you want to script it in the CLI, then screw you - people
> like you are just a niche market, and your needs don't matter."
> The fact that in the long run this attitude will come back to bite
> them in the ass because there won't be anyone left with technical
> know-how on their system doesn't seem to matter to these vendors.
> Sure, the techie market is a very small niche market, but its
> importance is far greater than its numbers would imply.  This niche
> is where a tech firm's future employees come from.  Spurning techies
> while satisfying the 99.9% of your market that isn't techie is an
> excellent way to make a lot of money next quarter, but it increases
> the chances that you won't even be around at all in several years.

...well said.

> The problem is, nobody who's running these businesses cares what
> happens several years from now.  Their goal is to make lots of
> money today and then leave.
>
> This is why there is hostility toward GUIs - in the past ignoramuses
> have thought that GUIs made an effective *replacement* for the CLI
> interfaces, when in fact BOTH are equally important.

true.

GUI for morons
CLI for power users

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is a fad?
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 17:13:38 +0500

> Well as much as I would like to disagree with you Gary I can't because
> my experience was much the same with a ThinkPad 765L and the Linksys
> PCMCIA card I bought last year. This is a cardbus card BTW and I spent
> hours trying to figure out why it didn't work until I stumbled on
> "enable cardbus" in the ThinkPad utilities, but that was only one
> problem. I am running Win95OSR2 on it though, but it was a nightmare to
> get working. I now have 2 instances of the card listed for every
> protocol (Tcp/ip, Netbeui etc) and if I delete either of the two
> instances the card won't work and on next boot up it recognizes the card
> and I go through it all again.
>
> As for Linsux, it works with the card right out of the box as well as
> the PCMCIA USR modem.

You know, you could at least refer to Linux by its proper name when you
have something good to say about it.

> I still can't get Token Ring working though.

Mine worked right out of the box.

> The Linksys PCI network cards worked fine though under Windows and
> Linux.

I have a Linksys PCI card for my Aptiva.  Works perfectly on Linux and
Windows 98.   Windows was still a lot harder than Linux to get working,
but it was easier than W2K on the Thinkpad.   I think that was simply
because I had never installed a network card on W98 before while one was
already installed on W2K when I got the thinkpad.   Windows apparently
wants all network cards defined at the same time.   Adding a new card
when one was already defined totally confused W2K.

Gary

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Microsoft gains on open-source Web server rival Linux
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 22:23:16 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, al
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:30:54 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C08C3A.0EB37E50
>
>http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4678927.html?tag=3Dmn_hd

This is good news for Microsoft.  IIS now has 49 percent of
the secure server-based (TLS/SSL) market, and the nod in
the higher financial sectors -- I would guess in part because
they can relax, not having to worry about hacker-created
"back doors".  (Never mind that hackers may not work that way
regarding free software, or that other hackers may discover
them and take them out, or that someone could sign up for
a maintenance service such as Cygnus (now part of RedHat)
or other such companies, or ...)

It also seems to be gaining on Apache (eeking out a gain from
20% to 21% of the total server market).  Perhaps Win2k is having
some sort of effect.

If Apache doesn't counter this soon, it may find itself victim
of yet another monopoly -- this time in the secure server market.

>------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C08C3A.0EB37E50

[rest snipped -- fix your newsposter]

                    Darn.  Just when this message was getting good, too.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Microsoft is FUN and Linux is BORING
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 22:24:50 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Nigel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 1 Feb 2001 22:23:43 +0000
<Quke6.944$Ea1.15440@news2-hme0>:

>> > I'll just email IBM, Bell Labs, Caltech and the NSA and let them know.
>> >

>> And HP and Sun.
>>

>And even Microsoft as they are now using Linux based DNS servers due to
>the unreliability of their own ones.

Eh?  Do you have a cite for this?

It would be amusing, if true.  But there's nothing in open source that
would prevent Microsoft from exploiting it; whatever works.
(One hopes they give credit. :-) )

                    Linux.  The choice of a GNU generation.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 17:25:19 -0500

User wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Feb 2001 09:05:16 -0500, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Perhaps, but so were rock and roll, talking pictures, and cars.
>
> I remember many white people saying "RAP' music would just another
> fad...but look at it now,
>
> It called "hip hop" and it's a big industry.
>
> But if you ask me, "hip hop" is "rap" commercialized to the maximum.
> Which translated, in the business world, would mean "how far can we
> push this pile of shit".  Kind of like country music has always been.

Back in the 50's and 60's, country music was good.

Like every other part of the music industry, it eventually went down
the road of excess (rock in the '70's, rap in the late '90's)

> It's all about hype and more hype.

It's the only thing that the lemmings respond to.

> User

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Linux editor test
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 22:57:43 +0100

J Sloan wrote:

>                                 "alles an ort und stelle".

This has nothing to do with the topic, although I'm not overly
surprised with your results, as they reflect my own experiences.
You write in german there, also with the right words for the situation
Do you speak german then?

--
Linux is simply a fad that has been generated by the media
We are Borg. Resistance is futile (Borg Gates)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 17:29:08 -0500

pip wrote:

> Robert Morelli wrote:
> > having a vision.  They have both run businesses that succeed by
> > relentlessly pursuing market share while competitors pursue innovation.
>
> That's not true. They are innovative - they nick other companies ideas,
> therefore you could say that they have proxy innovation.
>

> > I personally don't admire what Gates has accomplished at Microsoft.
>
> Really? I do. If you can sell an unreliable OS to >90% of people
> then you can handle my marketing budget :-) I mean this in a very
> real way! Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Using Al Capone's liquor-sales methods is hardly admirable.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Microsoft opening Windows source code
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 22:33:35 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, al
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:32:11 -0500
<3a79817d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C08C3A.3C98E9E0
>
>http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-4678406-0.html?tag=3Dmn_hd

quote:

   "Our goal is to CNET's Linux Center make this (source code) available
   to many hundreds of customers," Miller said during an interview at the
   LinuxWorld Conference and Expo trade show in New York this week.

end quote.

The only problem is that these are Microsoft's larger customers.
While it's clear that this is a step in the right direction,
it's only a step -- and may easily be a step in the wrong direction
as well, if Microsoft releases its source code to select
customers (i.e., those who can pay, or allocate engineers
for fixes), but not to the man on the street.

>------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C08C3A.3C98E9E0

[snip -- fix your newsposter]

                    We are all naked underneath our clothes.

------------------------------

From: R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS executives at LinuxWorld Expo
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 22:31:55 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  imekon@$$$REMOVE$$$.freeuk.com (Pete Goodwin) wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <95aeu4$h7f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >Is anybody here going to Linuxworld?
> > Anybody have any idea if the MS
> > execs are going to try to pull any
> > sort of this FUD nonsense over there?

I was at the Conference proceedings.  There were a few "plants"
asking the usual FUD questions (how can you get support?  How can
you may money?  Won't it collapse?).

Of course, on the exibit floor, there were about 9 companies offering
different types of high quality support.  Vendors offering contract
support services included IBM, Sun, HP, Compaq,
LinuxCare, Computer Associates, and quite a few others.
The "Linux Organization" has gotten quite large.
Today, there are some extremely large organization
who are more interested in Linux than ever.

There were numerous organizations that

> >http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2680345,00.html
>
> "While we are threatened by the Linux
> business model, where companies give
> away free software, we are not at all
> worried about that operating system
> from a technological standpoint,"

Keep in mind that Microsoft had very little
trouble "borrowing" concepts from AfterStep
and Enlightenment for Windows ME.  In fact,
nearly all of Microsoft's "innovations" for
Windows ME were actually "borrowed" from
Open Source projects.

Microsoft can easily steal as much of the
Open Source technology as they like because
all they have to do is control the flow
from Open Source projects to in-house developers
such that they don't realize they are using
Open Source software.  The scenario was well
depected in the movie "Antitrust".  By limiting
the flow of information from the open source
community to the internal developers to a
single point of flow, the only way to prove
the link is to identify the conduit and get
a confession.

> Miller told eWEEK before heading off to
> the conference. "There are no
> earth-shattering technological innovations in
> Linux -- actually, there's a lot less
> than can be found in the Windows and
> Unix platforms."

Notice that this was before heading off to the
conference.  Linux has been redifining information
systems all the way from Enterprise systems to
Desktops, Laptops, and PDAs.

The bad news was that the 2.4.1 kernel didn't make it to market in time to
provide handouts containing the new kernel.  On the other hand, there were
numerous demonstrations of Linux 2.4.1 and KDE 2.1 as well as GNOME 1.4.  The
Easel product was very interesting.  The ChiliWare packages are also getting
very interesting.

I was hoping to see some web camera drivers, but the only version supported
until 2.4 is the Phillips camera.  The IBM camera is supported under 2.4.
I'd like to see the Logitech USB camera supported, even with a binary-only
module (similar to the one Phillips provides) but thus far they seem to have
little interest.  It seems that Linux may leapfrog Microsoft in this arena.
Linux supports IEEE 1394 fireWire

Ironically, Linux 2.4.1 is actually MUCH more reliable than Windows,
but Linux 2.2 has established such a reputation for reliability that
many users and vendors are holding off until 2.4 is about that
reliable.  In other words, Linux is limited by it's own success.

Regardless, there were plenty of presentations that discussed the new
features of Linux 2.4 and more important, there was a substantial focus
Corporate Linux, particularly from the Keynote speakers.

Eric Raymond's presentation on "The Great Brain Race" was especially
interesting.  Essentially, he was pointing out the importance of Maslo's
"higher drives", particularly self-expression or self-actualization.  Linux
provides a very unique opportunity for thousands of contributors to achieve a
measure of self-actuallization that simply isn't possible in the Microsoft
paradigm.

> Interesting.

Microsoft's assertion that Linux is not a technical thread is
actually absurd.  Eventually, Linux will reach the mainstream
and executive desktops.  When it does, Microsoft will be unable
to pretend that it has originated technology that was forged in
the cauldron of Open Source.

It is the Open Source community who has leared to "Forge the first Steel".
I'm sure that the first tribe to forge steel had people who lost their swords
in battle.  When the first captured swords were wielded by those whose tribes
still used cast iron swords, they appeared to be superior, and even gained
seats of power.

Eventually, the tribes learned to forge their own steel, and those
who stole swords suddenly lost their power.  So it is with Microsoft.
Today, Microsoft steals the technology of the Open Source community.
This includes Mosaic, HTML, HTTPD, C, C++, Java, Windows, Window
Managers, KDE, and Gnome (bits of both were "integrated" into
Windows ME.

Microsoft charges 10 times the price of Linux, and still only offers very
limited support, limited stability, and requires 5 times the product (net 50
times the price) to achieve the same result as Linux.

--
Rex Ballard - Sr I/T Systems Architect
Linux Advocate, Internet Pioneer

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: questions (windows & Mac)....?
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 22:34:41 +0000

On Sat, 03 Feb 2001 20:41:21 +1100, Shane Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

<deletia>

> >         What about the 80's?
> >
> >         There was at least 5 years there were there was NO viable
> >         GUI from Microsoft. Even when Microsoft did manage one
> >         (early 90's) you still had to deal with ALL of the old
> >         1981 sort of arcana from MS-DOS.
> >
> >         Windows 3.1 WAS STILL DOS.
> >

> The 80s. Those were the days. GUIs hadn't been invented in the 80s.
> They were still WIMPs back then :-)
>
> It's going back a while, but I seem to recall that the computer press
> and most of the x86 camp were very dismissive of WIMPs in general,
> and the Mac in particular. Apple's policies didn't help much,either :-(
>
> The reason I concentrated on the release of Windows 3.1 is because that
> gave Apple the real window (pun intended) of opportunity. The press
> suddenly became very supportive of GUIs, as did MS. If Apple had launched
> a well-planned campaign to push the Mac at that stage I think they would
> have won. They had a few years in which they could have done it, but
> it didn't work out that way. I think there were a couple of x86 emulators
> available on the 68k Macs, but they may have come along later.
>
> Apple wasn't a particularly nice company to do business with at that stage,
> either. Who knows, we may all have been complaining about the Apple Tax
> and that @$*$ Steve Jobs (or more likely, John Scully) in a different
> timeline :-)

And Apple spent much time and money in its fruitless and ill-conceived
"look-and-feel" lawsuit against Microsoft.

Anyone who thinks Microsoft is a litigeous organisation should recall
Apple's many and continuing ventures into the courtroom. I believe their
latest lawsuit is aimed at Cobalt(?) because they (Cobalt) had the temerity
to market a cube shaped computer, as if a geometric shape was patentable.

No wonder Apple are going down the tubes.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 17:44:41 -0500

pip wrote:

> Kevin Zvonek wrote:
> >
> > >  (1) Tech Innovation
> >
> > Zero on both counts... There is no evidence they have contributed to
> > "innovation" within the pc industry... sure they used a 1900's "assembly
> > line" technique... but in the area of "computing" they were "no shows".
>
> THERE IS NO POINT IN TECH INNOVATION IF NOBODY USES IT.
> Even if the company "steals" this innovation.
> Think about it.

The point is...Neither Dell nor Microsoft is an "innovative" company.

Dell merely assembly-lines quasi-Industry-Standard PC's and low-end
servers (PC's on steroids like what I've built at home).  And Microsoft...
...nothing more than a gang of copyright and patent infringers who can't
even get it right...

> > >  (2) Entrepreneurial Skills and Financial Management
> >
> > High on Micheal's and High on Financial for Bill, but neither has the
> > skills of the other... so they are complements rather than full power.
>
> Gates had the skill to realise that he doesn't have the skill, hence
> Alan and Balmer.

More like every wannabe Godfather gets himself some liutenants.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Mandrake Fun :(
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 22:45:28 GMT

Hi [EMAIL PROTECTED],

> I selected shutdown from the kdm login screen.
>
> Machine is completely hosed now. It churned overnight and is now dead.

How large was your ext2 boot filesystem flatfish?

While the box was churning what did it say on the display? You had five
hours to stare at it so you should have a fair idea.

Was it doing an ext2 filesystem check? There would have been a progress
indicator.

I have now noticed that you are employing "X-No-Archive: yes" in your
headers.

Regards,
Adam