From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is user friendly?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:53:52 -0500

Craig Oshima wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > > Most users (including hackers) do not use hundreds of other programs.  A
> > > dozen is probably more than most people ever use.  However, the fact
> that
> > > the average cost of any given commercial application is 100 USD or more
> is a
> > > good reason to cheer on Linux.
> >
> > Regardless...
> >
> > A Linux user has a FULLY FUNCTIONAL system within 1 hour of booting
> > the installation disk.
> >
> > For a Windows user, getting even basic functionality takes close
> > to a DAY.
>
> I sure don't know where you get your information...it doesn't take more than
> an hour for me to do a clean install of W2K and Office.

And all of your other software is .... where.....exactly?

DOH!

> --
> Craig Oshima
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Interconnect" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux @ $19.95 per month
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:00:51 +1100

> However, if you're a corporation and want some legitimate service, you
must
> now pay. On the other hand, if you want to keep your systems up to date,
> you must hire a person to monitor the daily patches and keep the systems
> up to date, thus costing you. Either way, it's still a costly proposition.

You are admitting it yourself. You can CHOOSE to pay for a service. No one
is forcing you to pay RH if your tech staff are better at admin then you can
run it yourself at NO COST.

My company Runs a few RH  machines.  We have never paid a cent for *service*
because if you pull your finger out you can quite easily do it yourself.

You seem to be under the impression that *companies* need to have the latest
bleeding edge *update* of *every* single package that is out there.

You don't need the latest Kernel.
You don't need the latest version of Sendmail or Postfix.
You don't need the latest KDE or Gnome.
You don't need the latest version of Apache.
You don't need the latest version of Tomcat.
You don't need the latest version of PostgreSQL or MySql.
You don't need all the latest shared object libraries.

The point is if your installation is working and secure you don't need to
upgrade just because it's out there.

> > E.g. MS model. You must pay us to service your car. Even if you can do
it on
> > your own.
>
> Please show us where you must pay for the Windows Update service.
> (Hint: you can't, because you don't)

Hmmm whats the difference between an upgrade and an update?
Win3.1 --> Win3.11--> Win95 --> Win95B --> Win98 --> Win98B --> WinME -->
Win2K

Don't get me started on the Visual Studio series of upgrades just as bad.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:56:51 -0500

Craig Oshima wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Craig Oshima wrote:
> > >
> > > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> arena,
> > > and
> you've
> load
> > > of
> > >
> > > You've been using Unix *how* long?  Is it possible that your experience
> > > might be affecting your opinion of that which is easy vs. hard for
> normal
> > > people?
> >
> > Go get a copy of SuSE 7.1 and describe how difficult it is for you to
> > install.
> >
> > Be precise.
> >

> You're missing my point...it's not whether *I* have a problem or find it
> difficult.  It's whether *normal users* find things hard or difficult. If
> Linux plans to be successful on normal user desktops, it's got to change its
> attitude about normal users and their needs.

That's why we have more than 15 GUI's to choose from.

Try them out, and use whatever you want.

My system at home has well over a dozen available to any user
who logs in.

Now...lowly ignorant one....you were born with two ears but only
one mouth for a REASON...

I suggest that you sit down and SHUT THE FUCK UP until you know
what the hell you're talking about.

> --
> Craig Oshima
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unix/Linux Professionalism
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:58:33 -0500

Shades wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Let me ask you a question.   Could a large office full of secretaries
> easily
> > > used a multitasking OS using the command line?
> >
> > They handled it just fine in the late 1980's.
> >
> > Are you saying secretaries are stupider these days?
> >

> The average secretary had a hard time using a command line OS. I am not sure
> what you are referring to.  They could hardly navigate directories.

wp report.wp

Wow...that's sooooooooo freaking difficult

> > >   Or a CEO of a company.   I
> > > admitted it was technically possible to do it but given that apps ran so
> > > damned slow on an old 8086/88 why would they?
> >
> > They handled ALL of that just find in the late 1980's.
> >
> > Are you saying that a man who is smart enough to become the CEO of
> > a fortune 500 company is too stupid to figure out stuff that
> > junior-high kids can handle?
> >

> No, I am saying a Fortune 500 CEO doesn't have the time nor the patience to.
> He has a business to run and think about.  Do you think Ted Turner cares
> about the umount or tar command?

Hey, dipshit, Unix and Linux have had GUI's that are FAR more capable
than Windows for ***YEARS**** now.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:56:13 -0300

Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> Clue for the clueless: you do NOT need a degree to be a physician or
> a dentist.  All you have to do is pass the state medical boards.

I see. You still haven't got the idea that not everyone lives in your
neighborhood, right?

That any quack that manages to impress three foggy old men in Tuscaloosa's
medical board[1] can call himself a doctor is quite scary.

[1] Foggy old men who, if they were any good at medicine, would not be
there...

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:00:00 -0500

Mart van de Wege wrote:

> In article <998cj1$469$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Shades" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> <snip a lot of stuff>
>
> You know, I can't comment on the relative merits of Linux vs. NT in the
> server department, as I use both only for workstation use (NT at work,
> Linux at home), but when I take on that condescending tone you're using
> towards one of our customers (I work for a bank), my supervisor will be
> all over me, because it is *just as bad* as outright insulting someone.
> Given your tone, and your continuous posting to stoke the flames, I can
> only conlude that you are a troll. A very skilled one, but a troll
> nonetheless.

And I enjoy punching trolls in the mouth.

Repeatedly

Until I'm tired.

> Mart
>
> --
> Write in C, write in C,
> Write in C, yeah, write in C.
> Only wimps use BASIC, Write in C.
> http://www.orca.bc.ca/spamalbum/

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: German armed forces ban MS software  <gloat!>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:01:05 -0500

"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : Spot the Microsoft-paid plant:
>
> : Jan Johanson wrote:
> : [stuff, not worth quoting, deleted]
>
> You're doing *exactly* what he/she/it wants, by posting this same
> response over and over again.
>
> This type of troll works by provoking otherwise sensible people into
> emitting more noise than signal.  No one really takes it seriously.
> But when someone on the opposing side responds in kind, then people
> end up not taking the opponent seriously either.
>
> Better to just go *plonk* and be done with him.
>
> Joe

No..it's best to identify him for what he is, so that those who
are less knowledgeable don't get fooled.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:00:19 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "WesTralia"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Demanding technical roles? X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en]C-CCK-MCD
> {TLC;RETAIL} (Win98; U)
>
> Since when did Wintendo98 become demanding?

Well,

I must admit I sometimes think Aaron is a bit over the top, but being a
Mozilla user myself, I have heard him mention a few peculiarities of that
platform. So at least I am willing to believe that he modified the user
agent string (and given that some websites just plain won't load unless
you have IE or NS4.x, that's understandable). This is only a trivial
patch to the Mozilla source anyway.
Also I can just imagine Aaron being the sort of person that takes a
perverse pleasure in provoking this sort of reaction.

Mart

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:02:37 -0500

Craig Oshima wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Shades wrote:
> > > "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> <deletia>
>

> > > Well this is all true but creating a multitasking OS and having hardware
> > > support it on was way too expensive for companies to put on someones
> desktop
> >
> > You are truly and idiot.
> >
> > I wrote a multi-user, multi-tasking OS in FOUR WEEKS...BY MYSELF
> > on a lowly mid 1970's Motorola 6809 system.
>
> <deletia>
>

> > You really are fucking clueless about how little effort it takes to
> > create a multi-tasking operating system.
> >
> > I suggest you shut your pie-hole until you have taken the relevant
> > systems programming course at a university.
>
> So, because you're smart (extremely rude, but smart), and can write a
> multi-user, multi-tasking OS all by yourself, your opinion is that the rest
> of the world should also major in engineering?  Unless they're "fucking
> clueless"?  "User friendly" does not mean "usable if you can write your OS."

Did Shades write the LIE by writing a multi-tasking operating system is a
difficult for a software company?

a) no
B) YES.

> --
> Craig Oshima
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls.
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:46:37 +0200

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> However, I do question as to whether such things as detachable menus
> and button bars, slowly-disappearing popup menus and dialogs,
> rollovers that change color, that "peekaboo" side control bar
> (was that just an auto-hiding left side task bar?  I don't remember now),
> highly responsive refresh during window resizing (one of the nicer
> features of IE, although it's more or less purely cosmetic),
> tabbed dialog items which look like folders in a filing cabinet,
> the notion that "folder = directory", .LNK shortcuts in lieu of
> soft links, transparently storing a hard link + a series of deltas
> to a file when copying it (and then later editing it), as opposed to
> copying all of the data (pages/blocks/clusters/sectors) in a file
> (I don't know if that made it into XP or not),

I don't think that XP does it (hard link)
It can, but the functionality is not visible in the UI, I use an external
shell extention to do it.
.LNK rather than soft links are a fault of FAT, btw.

> plug and play (anyone
> else remember AutoConfig(tm) [*] by Amiga?) and the absolutely
> stupid Common Dialog file requester with the braindead horizontal
> scrollbar which by now everyone's used to, although they probably
> hate its guts, can be counted as true "innovations".

You preffer the Win3.11 way of doing it?

> Useful, perhaps, and in some cases highly visible.
>
> Maybe I'm just too old to properly appreciate the "ease of computing"
> today.  I still remember typing commands to VMS (and creating DCL scripts)
> which rival anything on Unix today (DCL is powerful, albeit rather
> idiosyncratic -- well, so is BASH) and completely outclass Microsoft's
> pathetic .BAT file syntax (can .BAT files extract a single bit and
> test it from a variable?  At least it understands FOR loops -- but
> that's about it).

Why would you use batch files for scripting?
Use CMD files, much better.
Or WSH, which can certianly do it.

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,soc.singles,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: uh oh, redhat is gonna do it
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 22:03:48 +0000 (UTC)

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Steve Chaney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

:>What this means to us is that we have to ftp our software updates when out
:>trial RHN subscriptions end.

: My point is they might try and make it so you can't get the software
: updates via FTP.

RedHat is free to do so, though there is no indication that they will.
If RedHat decides to distribute their distro and updates only on
Official RedHat CDs for $10,000 per copy, they're also free to do so.

But once someone gets a copy, they can distribute the GPL'ed sources
(and everything RedHat has done so far is GPL'ed or with an open
 specification) far and wide via non-RedHat channels.  Or, people
can just fork off the existing RedHat distro into BlueHat
and continue it for free.  Or, people could switch to any number
of other distros entirely.

In short, making Linux expen$ive requires a great deal of effort
for little gain - since the cost of switching distros is so small.
The only people who think RedHat's latest pay service is some
Evil Portent of Doom are the non-Linux users.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:04:46 -0500

Craig Oshima wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Of course, given the huge installed base of Windows users, it might make
> > > sense to think about how to smooth this transition.  If, that is, Linux
> is
> > > interested in converting these users.  If there is a hurdle for a
> majority
> > > of potential users, and the Linux community collectively thinks "Well,
> screw
> > > them. They should take the time to learn how to do it our way", I think
> we
> > > have an example of collective user-UNfriendliness.  I'm not saying Linux
> > > should be more like Windows, but if those are the users you want to
> appeal
> > > to, helping them with the transition is the decent thing to do.
> >

> > Liar.
>
> Huh?  I think making things easy for people is a decent thing to do, so I'm
> a liar?
>
> > The Unix COMMAND LINE is far friendlier than the DOS command line ever
> was.
>
> I never said anything about the command line, because what's to say?  DOS
> had a bare bones, crappy command line.  No doubt about it.  And FWIW, I
> think Apple's MPW development environment beats the Unix command line.  But
> *normal people* don't really use command lines anyway, so it doesn't matter.

And Microsoft...understanding that it's own CLI was a piece of shit,
funded a VERY large propaganda campaign to convince those who had never
even seen Unix that Unix was even worse.

> > The most popular Unix GUI's are also EASIER to use than the Windows GUI's.
>
> Pphhh.  When you've seen users struggle to get through the things you think
> are easy, your attitude will be informed by more than your arrogant
> opinions.

I work with Unix GUI users every day.

Their lives are FAR easier, because Unix doesn't attack it's own
data and configuration like Mafia$oft LoseDogs does.

> --
> Craig Oshima
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.