  Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?) ("Daza")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 03:27:37 -0500

G3 wrote:

> in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], J Sloan at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on
> 2/5/01 2:48 AM:
>
> >> I wouldn't know. It takes so long to do something with linux shitty
> >> interface I can't accurately compare their complexity in terms of upkeep.
> >
> > Sounds like you are completely unfamiliar with Linux.
> > Those who have learned it find it much easier to keep
> > up to date than other Unices, or even windows.
>
> Up to date?  I'm just talking about navigating something that default
> installs with 3 separate interfaces!  pick one dammit.  And the other prob

Like most low-IQ people, having a choice is a cause for panic.

My SuSE box allows the user to select from any of 10 different GUI's
at login time.  Why do you have such a fucking problem with this?

> is none of them are good at everything, they are all ok for one thing and
> shitty for everything else.  The thing makes as much sense as a goat with
> duck feet.  Maybe 10 year veterans find it easy to use but 60 year olds
> using windows ain't gonna.

Why do you assume that everybody is as incapable of learning as you are.

> >> In my case I have yet to have a Linux system around as long as a Windows
> >> install because its so hard to get it to DO anything and the interface is
> >> such a piece of total smeg that I quickly realize I could do this in 3 steps
> >> under Windows 3.11 and move from the linux machine to a PC or more often
> >> than not a Mac.
> >
> > Sorry to hear of your woes, perhaps you were
> > given some bad information.
>
> Not really.  I already have Photoshop, and Word, and Explorer (my key apps)
> on both Mac OS and Windows.  UNIX is a useless paperweight for me.

Corrolary: G3 has deep difficulties with doing division by hand, too.

> >> Linux is a nice free webserver that's about it.
> >
> > I admit it can be gotten for free, but that's not "it".
> > it's also quite a fast, flexible and capable webserver.
> >
> > In addition, it makes a great mail, ftp, dns or big brother
> > server - heck, it even makes a great samba server.
>
> > Our company mail, dns & ftp servers were moved to Linux
> > back in 1999, and it's the best move we ever made.
> >
> > For techies, Linux is a great workstation - I have to use
> > a windows pc at work at times (i.e. when there's a word doc
> > to be edited and passed on). I see windows nt and 2000 every
> > day, and I have to tell you, I much prefer my Linux desktop,
> > where I  get 90+ percent of my work done.
> >
> > Then I come home to a Linux system, with OpenGL graphics,
> > Quake 3 arena and Unreal Tournament ready to go -
>
> I'll keep my mac and telnet to unix-based servers on an as needed basis
> thanks.

Translation:  Please protect G3 from direct interaction with a computer.
        He's scared of anything beyond the "microwave" interface.

> Not only does it have better apps then either Linux or Winblows, Its at
> least as Stable as NT, and I don't have to worry about going through arcane
> text based config files if something goes wrong.

text-based config files are a STRENGTH.
your problem is that you have a keyboard phobia.

> -G3

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is a fad?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 03:28:52 -0500

"Marada C. Shradrakaii" wrote:

> >Try to NOT buy a USB device and see what happens.
> >For better or worse USB is the new standard.
> >Of course like with most standards, Linux need not apply.
>
> Odd.  Last time I went to buy a keyboard, there were about 15 different
> flavours of PS/2 or AT keyboards to play with (I didn't look at mice), costing
> from 5-7 USD on up.  And last time I bought a mainboard (1/01) it had PS/2 and
> parallel ports.  Only a very small subset of machines are USB-only.
> --

True.
Why would a typical user even want a USB mouse or Keyboard when the
motherboard
already has dedicated plugs for mice and keyboards.

> Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
> Colony name not needed in address.
> This post is No. 54 056 in a limited edition of 700 000 000.  Certificate of
> Authenticity attached.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 03:30:56 -0500

Cerberus AOD wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 03:14:15 -0500, in my rec.games.frp.dnd coffee mug, which
> was quite moldy, Aaron R. Kulkis, a dying weevil, wrote the following with his
> antennae:
> :)>G3 wrote:
> :)>>
> :)>> in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Aaron R. Kulkis at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> :)>> wrote on 2/5/01 12:19 AM:
> :)>>
> :)>> > If Microsoft's stuff is "easier", why does it take so much more effort
> :)>> > to keep it running properly compared to my Linux box?
> :)>> > Hmmmmmmmmmm?
> :)>>
> :)>> I wouldn't know. It takes so long to do something with linux shitty
> :)>> interface I can't accurately compare their complexity in terms of upkeep.
> :)>> In my case I have yet to have a Linux system around as long as a Windows
> :)>> install because its so hard to get it to DO anything and the interface is
> :)>> such a piece of total smeg that I quickly realize I could do this in 3 steps
> :)>> under Windows 3.11 and move from the linux machine to a PC or more often
> :)>> than not a Mac.
> :)>
> :)>That's because you refuse to take your hand off the stupid mouse.
> :)>
> :)>I'm 10x more productive on just a couple of dumb ascii terminals connected
> :)>to a Unix machine than I'll ever be with current Windows offerings.
> :)>
> :)>And yes, I am 100% serious when I say that.
> :)>
> :)>There is VERY little work that actually needs a GUI.
>
> Games, anything to be printed and formatted, and drawing. There are some things
> the GUI can do nice, and some of us (with mouse reflexes having been built up
> quite nicely) can go at it as fast as w/ a command line. But one of the bad
> things about windows is they always find ways to make the GUI slower. I move to
> a Duron 1G (800 at 1000), and the thing fades and has shadows and whatnot, so it
> is no faster than my 350.
>
> So back to using the DOS prompt every chance I get...
> The main problem with linux is there is so much there and it takes forever to
> configure everything.
> The good thing is once you do that, it only has to be restarted when there is a
> blackout.
> It isn't perfect, and no distribution seems to be so far...but give it a few
> years. When you can teach non-nerds to use it, it is ready to compete. I

Ever do user support in a CAD/CAM environment.

Blue-collar hourly CAD detailers hardly fit the "computer nerd" stereotype.

IF *THEY* can learn to use a CLI, anybody can.

> reformat just for space reasons often enough that I haven't bothered too much w/
> linux (I have a habit of getting any software that looks cool as says
> 'free'...and now I have a cable 'net connection) for now...
>
> :)>>
> :)>> Linux is a nice free webserver that's about it.
> :)>> -g3
>
> ------------------
> Cerberus AOD / A Paper Cut ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
> ICQ UIN: 8878412 (take out SCREWTHESPAM to mail me, okay?)
> "Children of tomorrow live in the tears that fall today"
> -Children of the Grave, Black Sabbath

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: G3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:38:06 GMT

wrote on 2/5/01 3:27 AM:

>> Up to date?  I'm just talking about navigating something that default
>> installs with 3 separate interfaces!  pick one dammit.  And the other prob
>
> Like most low-IQ people, having a choice is a cause for panic.
>
> My SuSE box allows the user to select from any of 10 different GUI's
> at login time.  Why do you have such a fucking problem with this?

1: like most UNIX people you seem to ignore the fact there are actually
scientific principles about how interfaces should be designed.

2: I'd have less of a problem if A) any of them did anything near the job
even Win 3.1 did to make the computer easy to use and accessible. B) it
didn't hodgepodge the 3 together.

>> is none of them are good at everything, they are all ok for one thing and
>> shitty for everything else.  The thing makes as much sense as a goat with
>> duck feet.  Maybe 10 year veterans find it easy to use but 60 year olds
>> using windows ain't gonna.
>
> Why do you assume that everybody is as incapable of learning as you are.

Why don't you take a look at the market there smart guy.  Member how Caldera
Open Linux was supposed to be a great consumer product?  The proof is in the
pudding.  You problem is you assume everyone is some geek like you who has
nothing but time on their hands when it comes to memorizing arcane
programming codes in order to do even simple word processing on a UNIX based
machine.

>>> Sorry to hear of your woes, perhaps you were
>>> given some bad information.
>>
>> Not really.  I already have Photoshop, and Word, and Explorer (my key apps)
>> on both Mac OS and Windows.  UNIX is a useless paperweight for me.
>
> Corrolary: G3 has deep difficulties with doing division by hand, too.

Ah and you ignore completely the blatant truth that the software to do what
MOST users need to do simply isn't available for UNIX machines and that with
no central company behind UNIX there is no support on either the development
or user side which is expressly necessary to marketing products toward
consumers.

Of course a UNIX geek like yourself only thinks about how much of an
erection regular expressions give you, and you can't think outside that tiny
niche box your so fond of.

>>> I admit it can be gotten for free, but that's not "it".
>>> it's also quite a fast, flexible and capable webserver.
>>>
>>> In addition, it makes a great mail, ftp, dns or big brother
>>> server - heck, it even makes a great samba server.
>>
>>> Our company mail, dns & ftp servers were moved to Linux
>>> back in 1999, and it's the best move we ever made.
>>>
>>> For techies, Linux is a great workstation - I have to use
>>> a windows pc at work at times (i.e. when there's a word doc
>>> to be edited and passed on). I see windows nt and 2000 every
>>> day, and I have to tell you, I much prefer my Linux desktop,
>>> where I  get 90+ percent of my work done.
>>>
>>> Then I come home to a Linux system, with OpenGL graphics,
>>> Quake 3 arena and Unreal Tournament ready to go -
>>
>> I'll keep my mac and telnet to unix-based servers on an as needed basis
>> thanks.
>>

> Translation:  Please protect G3 from direct interaction with a computer.
> He's scared of anything beyond the "microwave" interface.

Oh and by the way there smart guy not only am I a highly paid programmer,
but I also am my companies web master and I do EVERYTHING in text except for
image editing.  Still that must come as a surprise to a real geek like you
who is still pounding the table that these new fangled graphical user
interfaces are just a fad.  You probably DO think that image editing
involves moving ASCII around your 14" monochrome CRT.

>> Not only does it have better apps then either Linux or Winblows, Its at
>> least as Stable as NT, and I don't have to worry about going through arcane
>> text based config files if something goes wrong.
>
> text-based config files are a STRENGTH.
> your problem is that you have a keyboard phobia.

Yeah huge strength easily and frequently corrupted, consist of arcane terms
that vary wildly from system to system, increase (and this is scientific
fact) the learning time for the machine exponentially.  Yeah they're a huge
advantage if your some fat 50 year old IT dork praying to everything holy
that your boss doesn't find out how with any system made in the last 10
years could handle the job of the 20 486s you've strung together with a
hacked up version of linux and thousands of lines of custom code, and for a
quarter the price.

You linux guys are as bad as the NT guys you've been clinging to these
dinosaurs for job security so long you believe your own bullshit.

-G3
(Mac Columnist, and Professional Programmer, Graphic Designer, and Web
Master)

------------------------------

From: G3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:42:53 GMT

in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Cerberus AOD at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 2/5/01 3:23 AM:

> Games, anything to be printed and formatted, and drawing. There are some
> things
> the GUI can do nice, and some of us (with mouse reflexes having been built up
> quite nicely) can go at it as fast as w/ a command line. But one of the bad
> things about windows is they always find ways to make the GUI slower. I move
> a Duron 1G (800 at 1000), and the thing fades and has shadows and whatnot, so
> it
> is no faster than my 350.
>
> So back to using the DOS prompt every chance I get...
> The main problem with linux is there is so much there and it takes forever to
> configure everything.
> The good thing is once you do that, it only has to be restarted when there is
> blackout.
> It isn't perfect, and no distribution seems to be so far...but give it a few
> years. When you can teach non-nerds to use it, it is ready to compete. I
> reformat just for space reasons often enough that I haven't bothered too much
> w/
> linux (I have a habit of getting any software that looks cool as says
> 'free'...and now I have a cable 'net connection) for now...

This is why I prefer the Mac.  For one MOST GUI elements (finally) have
keyboard equivalents "hot keys".  Still because the OS was designed without
a prompt it doesn't go on the assumption that the user can always fall back
on that crutch so it has excellent use of both mouse and keyboard interface
standards.

Win 2k looks pretty but it still falls victim to the command line problem,
and UNIX uses GUI as an after thought.  (though it has a lot of "neat"
things you can do to speed navigator at the command line it is still far
harder to "browse" if you don't know exactly what you're looking for)

Honestly a choice between NT's GUI and UNIX Command Line is a toss up, for a
Command Line UNIX goes the distance, and for a GUI NT drops the ball all
over the place.

-G3

------------------------------

From: G3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:46:11 GMT

wrote on 2/5/01 3:14 AM:

> That's because you refuse to take your hand off the stupid mouse.
>
> I'm 10x more productive on just a couple of dumb ascii terminals connected
> to a Unix machine than I'll ever be with current Windows offerings.
>
> And yes, I am 100% serious when I say that.
>
> There is VERY little work that actually needs a GUI.

Clearly you do nothing visual.  I work in a part of computing where users
have to interact and approve of aesthetically of the stuff I do.  You can't
do image editing in text, you can't to good page layout in text.  You can't
do good web design without previewing it under a GUI.

It has nothing to do with using a mouse (90% of what I use I use hot keys
for but they still require a GUI.  14 hot key sequences in photoshop still
require seeing the image!) and everything to do with working with modern
computing and not carrying on a 70's dinosaur legacy of computing.

Even email "can" be done in text but you can't HTML formated emails in text
and have them look right.

People who insist text is great for everything don't use their computers for
anything that came out since 82!

-G3

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: The 130MByte text file
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:38:09 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It looked for all the world as if you wanted answers, and people
> here were good enough to try and help out.

Pointless. He's dumber than a bag of hammers. Ignore him.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: G3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:47:23 GMT

wrote on 2/5/01 3:12 AM:

>> On the other hand trying to install red hat I had to restore drive
>> partitions like 5 times.
>
> What were you doing wrong?

Installing Linux.

(Apparently it liked Windows 98 as much as 98 liked it, and not it wasn't 98
that fucked the drive it was LINUX, Caldera OpenLinux the first time, the
Red Hat the next)

-G3

------------------------------

From: G3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:48:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 2/5/01 3:12 AM:

> They did? I could of sworn all they did was integrate the active desktop and
> give it USB and decent P&P (not to mention more stable than NT ever was). Same
> old devices and services and all that...

Um Windows 2000 as in NT 5!  perhaps you're thinking of Windows ME?

-G3

------------------------------

From: G3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:50:03 GMT

wrote on 2/5/01 3:11 AM:

> The Mac team was essentially the PARC team...PARC started shutting down,
> and the majority of them ended up taking the majority of slots in the
> Mac project.
>
> They had an odd interview process...anybody joining the Mac project had
> to interview with everybody already on the Mac project (so, as the project
> grew, the list of people to interview with grew longer and longer)...
> Very soon, it skewed heavily towards "former-PARC employees" :-)

I believe though that Bill Atkinson (the one who developed QuickDraw which
was revolutionary at the time) wasn't.

-G3

------------------------------

From: G3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:54:09 GMT

wrote on 2/5/01 3:07 AM:

> Installing HP-UX or Solaris is a breeze.
>
> Spend 10 minutes setting time zone, IP address, partitions, etc.
> Come back in 30 minutes, and you're done.

When I installed LINUX I spent like 1.5 hours just trying to find a mouse
and keyboard it would recognize, then more time trying to get it to see a
simple thing like a CD ROM, (it never did get the printer), I remember I had
to restart like 4 times to get the monitor to install, the partition program
kept fucking up, then the damn thing didn't want to connect to the LAN (and
thus the net) took 2 days of strait teeth pulling, and I only had it
installed for like 4 months before saying fuck it I've got more important
things to do with disk space.  My mac already does IP routing, and web
serving, and I only have 5 machines on my LAN so I don't need local mail
servers or things like that.

All in all it was a waste.

(and there weren't even any good NeXTStep themes for any of the stupid
"desktop environments")

-g3!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Subject: whining drive? Fix it! suggestions on keeping it working
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 03:38:50 -0500

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 00:41:27 -0500, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hank Barta wrote:
>Whining drive means that the bearings on the platter's main axle
>are wearing out.
>
>REPLACE AT ONCE!
        I have a Ancient Maxtor XT-4380s that has been whining for
over 3 YEARS! This drive has been on 24x7 since I got it USED! While I
did get a few backup drives. This old brat WILL NOT die! I did
relocate it to carrying my development area instead of the OS as its
smaller and slower than the NEW MAXTOR LXT535sy units I bought
surplus. This drive also has NO grown defects (only the factory mapped
out ones!)
        One solution is to add some Graphite to the ground point that
the axle touches to keep the friction down. Or.. if you feel Gutzy
enough use a fine light oil and oil it yourself, you need to oil the
bearings. Some of the oils used for Model trains work great (Do it at
your own risk in a dust free environment. If the drive is already dead
You cannot lose much if you already backed it up. At the least you get
a education on drive mechanics!

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

From: "Daza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:05:09 -0000

> Daza wrote:
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > that,
> > fact
> > multi-user

> > OS?

> > and
> > it's a
> > from
> > >
> > > How many $$$$$$$$$$$ extra did you have to spend to get this
1960's-era
> > > capability
> > > --
> > > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > > Unix Systems Engineer
> > > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > > ICQ # 3056642
> >
> > With NT4 and W2k (and 3.51 I think) you can easily use a remote console
>
> If you're willing to spend $300/machine for the 3rd-party software,
> or, with Lose2k, about $150/machine for the Terminal Services licenses.
>

> > session to do command line administration.  With W2k server you can also
use
> > Terminal Services to do remote GUI administration tasks.  These are
standard
> > tools supplied by Microsoft as part of Server versions of their OS.  No
> > extra cash required.
>
> ...other than licenses.

Remote Admin, either terminal or GUI, does not require extra licenses with
W2k server.  You are correct that remote multi-user sessions do require a
per user license to use authenticated Terminal Services.  But if you really
need to employ Windows apps (sometimes you have no choice!) in a large
organisation, Terminal Services is a good solution.

You know, Linux makes a good workstation OS to support accessing Terminal
Services.