From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another thing I've noticed.
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 02:28:58 -0500

Interconnect wrote:

> Unfortunately you need the overhead to run windows, you can quite
> comfortably run Linux wihout KDE or Gnome, if you can cope with CLI that is.

Any reasonably intelligent person can.

It's NOT like that piece-of-shit DOS cli.

> Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Thu, 01 Feb 2001 04:26:28 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The
> > Ghost In The Machine) wrote:
> >
> > > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
> > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >  wrote
> > > on Sat, 27 Jan 2001 21:25:28 -0600

> and

> laptop.
> > >
> > > Win 3.1 once ran on a 386/20, with 4 megabytes.  (Presumably, it
> > > ran rather sluggishly -- but it ran.)
> >
> > I have a 486DX33 with 4Mb, now "upgraded" to 8Mb. Windows 3.1 runs about
> > the same as Windows 98 on my K2-400 with 64Mb.
> >
> > The vast increase in processor, memory and hard disk specs neatly balances
> > software bloat, and Microsoft aren't alone, KDE is another resource hog.
> >
> > Peter

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3100 W2K Adv Servers deployed accross Europe
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 02:30:06 -0500

nuxx wrote:

> "Milton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:26:15 +0800, "nuxx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > >"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:A5pe6.65941$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >advocacy

> > >Thanks.  Are there any similar stories for Oracle or DB2 on Linux?
> >
> > Glad you asked
> >
> > http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/1665/1/
> >

> http://www2.software.ibm.com/casestudies/swcs.nsf/customername/E8FDF9FEC5ADF
> FC3872569860026B025
> >
> http://www2.software.ibm.com/casestudies/swcsdm.nsf/customername/640ED89B457
> B6C24002568D5001BD6BF

Mind adjusting your lines to an appropriate length when you post URLS
of that length?

> > Any questions?
> > --
>
> Thanks for that.  More interesting reading than specweb results or netcraft
> surveys! :-)
>
> nuxx

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 02:31:41 -0500

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Jim Richardson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 3 Feb 2001
> >On Sat, 03 Feb 2001 07:12:34 GMT,
> > John Travis, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > brought forth the following words...:
> >
> >>And Charlie Ebert spoke unto the masses...
> >>:When it comes to Koresh, don't we have better things to do
> >>:with our Federal money and time than chace religious kooks?
> >>:Religious kooks with guns or not, who cares....
> >>:
> >>:Did they break any law?  I still never heard.
> >>
> >>Yes, several fire arms laws, hence the ATF.
> >
> >funnily enough, there were no convictions of firearms violations.
>
> Well, considering the suspects burned themselves to death before they
> could be charged, I don't find it funny at all.
>
>    [...]
> >Completely missing the point that a couple of years before, Koresh was
> >arrested, (and released w/no charges after investigation.) by the simple
> >expedient of the sherrif going to Mt Carmel (alone) and asking Koresh to come
> >into the station on an arrest warrant. Koresh complied, and all was well. There
> >was no evidence that the Davidians would have resisted Koresh's arrest by the
> >ATF at all, the only evidence that it was the Davidians who opened fire first,
> >was the front door of the meeting hall, which the Feds "lost" before the
> >trial.
>
> Completely missing the point that Koresh did not turn himself in, but
> instead barricaded himself in with children and eventually set himself,
> and those children, on fire.  Claiming that the ATF didn't ask nicely
> enough is just arm-waving.

Of course, why should he trust him when they started shooting with
armored piercing bullets into the residence of approximately 100 men,
women and children before ever even knocking on the door?

> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Did anyone from LinuxWorld get sick (literally) afterwards?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 02:32:18 -0500

jtnews wrote:

> I got real sick after I went to LinuxWorld
> with high fever (102.8F) and diarrhea.
> Anyone else get sick? It may not be something
> from LinuxWorld, it could be from my home hot
> water heater.

Sounds like influenza.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler predictions...
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:30:43 +0200

> Tim Smith wrote:
> >
> > Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >When whistler finally hit's market I predict the following.
> >
> > The more interesting question is which will be first?  Microsoft
> > releasing Whistler or you making a post that is not completely stupid?
> > I think Microsoft will win that one.  Heck, I think Netscape will make a
> > decent browser first!
> >

> How much did Bill Gates pay you to write that?

You know, sometimes you manage to surprise me and actually make a good,
worth reading, comment.
Most of the time, however, I find you floccipaucinihilipilification
Don't you get tired of this?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy!
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 02:35:51 -0500

Sgt Detritus wrote:

> In article <95b81f$5g0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > As I said in another post I used PFE to create a 130MByte file. No
> > problem.
> >
> > Curiously, I tried the same file on Linux and _what_ do I find.
> >
> > VIM has no problem with it (no surprise there), however, why does it
> > appear to load a large section of the file?
> >
> > KEdit crashed. Oops!
> >
> > The Advanced Editor hung my system! Oh dear! Not even Windows does
> > that! It might struggle but it keeps on going. Linux froze rock solid,
> > with the disk rattling to itself.
> >
> > This is the system that is so much more stable that Windows! HAH!
>
> I'm noticing something here....try buying some RAM and then ditch the
> KDE2 thing.  You do have that option in MDK 7.2, ya know.

Goodwing the Fucking Idiot tries to use an app with data which requires
300MB of space, on a machine with 32 MB of memory and 250 MB of swap space.

250MB + 32MB = 282MB

Is 282 MB enough to run a 300MB process
a) yes
B) HELL NO!

> --
> Any man agitated enough to lift a 300lb. ape
> without noticing is a man with way too much on
> his mind.
> ~~Terry Pratchett, Guards, Guards~~
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How long does your box run for?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 02:36:16 -0500

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On 05 Feb 2001 00:50:17 GMT, JoeX1029 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > well, my 486/66 16m has been up for 25 days and a few hours.
>
> [root@gw /root]# uptime
>   9:56pm  up 49 days, 10:25,  2 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.02, 0.00
>
> [root@gw /root]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel

Not to be confused with Intel

> cpu family      : 4
> model           : 3
> model name      : 486 DX/2
> stepping        : 5
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> sep_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme
> bogomips        : 24.88
>
> This is actually a pretty decent uptime, given that I live in New
> England, it is winter, and this machine isn't on a UPS 8->
>
> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| To Whom You Are Speaking
>  -| http://www.haucks.org/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:42:01 +0200

> Mind adjusting your lines to an appropriate length when you post URLS
> of that length?

Mind adjusting your signature to an appropriate length when you post to
USENET?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The 130MByte text file
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 02:47:21 -0500

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Feb 2001 23:26:28 +0000, Pete Goodwin
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Actually, if a process is memory resident and has a higher priority than
> >anything else, it'll get in. Of course, I don't know if that is true for
> >'ping'.
>
> ICMP responses are handled inside the kernel.
>
> > I logged in remotely, ran top and tried the test again. Yep,
> > everything was fine... until I noticed there was 80k free of swap
> > space, the Advanced Editor was showing 300Mbytes of memory. At this
> > point, top froze on the telnet screen. Everything was frozen after
> > that, and I waited a while (5-10 minutes?) to see if it would
> > recover. Nope. Still hung, obviously thrashing away on its own swap
> > space.
>
> Did you try typing "k" in top?  That should allow you to kill a process.
>
> > Even Windows didn't freeze this long (and it did get jerky). Seems
> > like the Advanced Editor is gobbling memory away ad infinitum.
>
> Windows by default uses a swap _file_, while Linux uses a _partition_.
> The file can grow while the partition can't.  Which means that it is
> somewhat harder to run Windows out of swap space (if the disk is big
> enough) but there are some obvious tradeoffs too.

Linux can use ANY file as swap space as well.

>From root do the following

# yes | dd of=/tmp/extra_swap bs=1024 count=[number of 1k blocks to use as
swap]
# mkswap /tmp/extra_swap
# swapon /tmp/extra_swap -p[n]

        (where [n] is any value  from 0 to 32767
         normally you want this to be a HIGHER
         number than your swap space partitions)

> Anyway, if Linux runs out of swap, it gets very slow.  This is a known
> weakness of the VM system.  Eventually, the kernel will start killing
> processes, but that can get ugly too, as it has no way of knowing which
> ones _you_ care the most about.  Sometimes it does the wrong thing and
> bungs things up badly.
>
> There is an equally known fix for this behavior though, and that is to
> set limits.  There are several ways of doing this, but using PAM is the
> cleanest as it allows you to set limits on every method of login.  There
> should be a file named something like "README.pam_limits" somewhere on
> your system that describes how to set appropriate limits.  You can also
> prevent fork-bombs this way by setting process limits.
>
> Mandrake can't easily do this for you, since they don't know how much
> memory and swap you have until install time, and they don't know what
> your mix of processes is at all.
>
> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| To Whom You Are Speaking
>  -| http://www.haucks.org/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 07:48:21 GMT

G3 wrote:

> I wouldn't know. It takes so long to do something with linux shitty
> interface I can't accurately compare their complexity in terms of upkeep.

Sounds like you are completely unfamiliar with Linux.
Those who have learned it find it much easier to keep
up to date than other Unices, or even windows.

> In my case I have yet to have a Linux system around as long as a Windows
> install because its so hard to get it to DO anything and the interface is
> such a piece of total smeg that I quickly realize I could do this in 3 steps
> under Windows 3.11 and move from the linux machine to a PC or more often
> than not a Mac.

Sorry to hear of your woes, perhaps you were
given some bad information.

> Linux is a nice free webserver that's about it.

I admit it can be gotten for free, but that's not "it".
it's also quite a fast, flexible and capable webserver.

In addition, it makes a great mail, ftp, dns or big brother
server - heck, it even makes a great samba server.

Our company mail, dns & ftp servers were moved to Linux
back in 1999, and it's the best move we ever made.

For techies, Linux is a great workstation - I have to use
a windows pc at work at times (i.e. when there's a word doc
to be edited and passed on). I see windows nt and 2000 every
day, and I have to tell you, I much prefer my Linux desktop,
where I  get 90+ percent of my work done.

Then I come home to a Linux system, with OpenGL graphics,
Quake 3 arena and Unreal Tournament ready to go -

SWEET!

jjs

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 02:49:44 -0500

Curtis wrote:

> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] () posted:

> | >>> |

> > |     Still?
> > |
> > |     Redhat 5.0 did video autodetection, nevermind Mandrake 7.2.
>
> Come on!! I just installed Mandrake under VMWare on my system, as well
> as on another system and I had to choose monitor and graphics card
> manually. This is how I have always done it and I didn't have to do
> this when I installed Win2k. My sound card, graphics card (specific
> drivers), monitor, modems, printer, scanner and zip250 drive were all
> installed and ready for use when I installed Win2k. My mission here is
> not really to preach how wonderful Win2k is but to just mention that
> I've had better experience with Windows plug and play that Linux.
> Since a Linux version with the new kernel was mentioned with regards
> to great plug and play support, I thought I'd ask about graphics card
> detection.

Why would you install a stable Linux OS under VMWARE on top of the
unstable Lose2k?

You ALWAYS run the most stable system directly on the machine, and
the less stable product on the virtual machine.

Building a wooden structure on a concrete slab is more stable than
building a concrete structure on a wooden slab.

> --
> Curtis
>
> |         ,__o
> !___    _-\_<,    An egotist thinks he's in the groove
> <(*)>--(*)/'(*)______________________ when he's in a rut.
>
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   (ROT13 scrambled)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 07:51:33 GMT

G3 wrote:

> On the other hand trying to install red hat I had to restore drive
> partitions like 5 times.  Red hat is great on a 486 with no other OS's
> anywhere near it.

Red Hat is also great on a 16 CPU Itanium - just like it's
great on my wife's Celeron 600, dual booting with win 2k.

> I can't wait for OS X to show everyone what UNIX SHOULD be by now.

I admit it looks like a nice GUI - but I'll need to see some
performance and reliability data before I beleive that it's
"what unix should be by now".

jjs