From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 19:40:27 -0000

On Sun, 04 Feb 2001 21:34:00 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] () in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 03 Feb
>2001 02:15:31 -0000;
>>On Sat, 03 Feb 2001 02:05:55 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>Said Jim Richardson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 28 Jan 2001
>>>   [...]
>>>
>>>I get real skeptical when I hear stuff like that.
>>>
>>>There wasn't a single day of the siege that went by that the Branch
>>>Davidians shouldn't have turned themselves in and had their day in
>>>court.  Instead, they committed suicide.  And that makes the government
>>>the bad guy?
>>
>>      Yup.
>>
>>      IT'S THEIR JOB TO BE IN CONTROL.
>
>They were.  From all I've seen, its most likely the religious nuts
>torched their own compound.

        CS cannisters that are a fire hazzard certainly don't hurt
        either.

        If it weren't a government agency engaging in that sort of
        behaivor, the perpetrators would have been held liable for
        the fire damages.

>>      They let things get out of control, therefore they failed.
>
>They waited patiently for WEEKS!!!  While the religious nuts held their
>own children hostage!

        Actually, they antagonized the seiged compound for weeks. They
        also sent the Davidians remarkably mixed messages with some
        feds acting conciliatory and others being inflammatory.

        Either way, the Davidians posed no threat to the public as they
        were being besieged. There was no compelling public interest to
        forcing an end to the situation.

        The only damage being done was to the reputation of federal
        law enforcement agencies. That reputation is not more valuable
        than innocent bystanders.

>>      The cops that beat up King are guilty of the same sort of
>>      professional malpractice. Innocents DIED because of their
>>      machismo and incompetence.
>
>Or because of religious zealotry?  Which seems more likely, and which
>seems more media hype?  Ever heard of a guy called Occam?

        Occam's razor supports my position better than it does yours
        actually. Police are the essence of Zealotry. They make any
        of us Zealots here look positively sensible by comparison.

>>      They blundered strategically and tactically. This should
>>      be apparent even if you view Koresh as the anti-christ.
>
>I view him as just yet another nut/flake.  And a potentially dangerous

        So? That doesn't excuse a bunch of FBI rejects for trying
        to immitate the Untouchables. If they really wanted Koresh,
        it simply wasn't necessary. Even if they wanted the entire
        cabal, divide and conquer still makes remarkably more sense
        strategically.

        That option was open to them.

>one, considering he would not surrender to lawful government demands and
>was stockpiling weaponry.
>
>>      The "untouchables" raided what was essentially a monastery
>>      and most Americans didn't even blink.
>
>"Essentially a monastery"?  I believe I have heard relatively reliable
>reports that Mr. Koresh thought himself to be Jesus, and was screwing
>girls in the compound as young as 13 years of age.  Sounds like another
>nut/flake.

        One man's flake is another man's pope.

[deletia]

        Consider that the next time you see someone indulging
        in ceremonial canabalism.

--

  >> Yes.  And the mailer should never hand off directly to a program
  >> that allows the content to take control.
  >
  >Well most mailers can, so I guess they all suck too.

        Yup.

        Candy from strangers should be treated as such.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Peter Ammon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 14:43:35 -0500

G3 wrote:

> in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Peter Ammon at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote on 2/5/01 1:24 PM:
>
> > You're wrong on Jobs.  It was Atkinson and Tom Whitney who got Jobs to
> > go, at the urging of Raskin.  In fact, Jobs had earlier refused to go
> > see Xerox.  And a lot of the Mac had already been created, without Jobs'
> > knowing, before the historic visit.
> >
> > [snip the rest]
> >
> > -Peter
>
> I have at least two books I can quote if need be (Insanely Great, by Steve
> Levy, and Accidental Millionaire by, heck I forget his name)

I'm reading "Infinite Loop" by Michael Malone, and it specifically
mentions Insanely Great and Accidental Empires as being based on a false
story written up by Apple's PR department, and then proceeds to debunk
the myth.  (If you like books detailing Apple's history, you'll enjoy
Infinite Loop...it's very well done and complete.)

I guess I shouldn't say that you're simply "wrong on Jobs."  The visit
has turned into a legend, and we may never know for sure what actually
happened.  But the book I mention has some good points as to why the
original explanation is implausible, and advances its own theory, which
I find to be much more likely.

[snip]

-Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linux 64 bit and Windows 32 bit
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 19:44:57 -0000

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001 19:20:26 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:95kpo4$k8s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> (Taken me some serious gutts to post in this emotionally charged
>> forum.  But love every bit of it.  Hope Linux survives!)
>>
>> My questions:
>> 1)  I've heard that linux (latest kernel) is 64 bit operating system?
>> Is this true?  How does this compare with Windows 2000 x-bit (please
>> don't say 2-bit, though it may be tempting!)?
>>
>> How does one test this? (whether an operating system is 64 bit or 32
>> bit?)
>
>Linux is 32 bit on 32 bit hardware.  It's 64 bit on 64 bit hardware (ie, on
>standard PC's, Linux is 32 bit.  On Alpha processors, 64 bit SPARC, 64 bit
>MIPS, or the upcoming Itanium processor, it's 64 bit)

        ...and you can buy workstations and servers TODAY that will
        allow you to run Linux as a 64bit operating system. 64bit
        Linux has been doing production work for some time, including
        special effects rendering for Titanic.

[deletia]

--

        Section 8. The Congress shall have power...

        To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for
        limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their
        respective writings and discoveries;
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 19:49:00 GMT

On 5 Feb 2001 17:45:55 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:

>YOU trashed your entire system, because you dont understand linux.
Following instructions from Mandrake to the letter.
Insert update CD from Mandrake.
Select Live Update from Drakconf.
System goes through it's paces for about 10 minutes.
Next restart, nothing works.

What needs to be understood here?

>Hey claire, just for the sake of argument, try installing FreeBSD 4.2.
>It has full USB support, etc.  Id love to see what happens when you
>attempt to install another flavor of UNIX.

AIX is a piece of cake to install on an SP/2, including Perspectives
and pssp code.
Couldn't be easier using SMIT.

>-----.

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations
Date: 5 Feb 2001 19:40:45 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Said Steve Mading in alt.destroy.microsoft on 1 Feb 2001 23:33:10 GMT;
:    [...]
:>Actually, the reason is too much reliance on higher-level things
:>being done in kernel space (kernel code runs with absolutely no
:>safety net, so it needs to be kept to a minumum if you want
:>stability.)  I fear the inclusion of lots of third-party closed
:>source driver modules from hardware vendors into Linux - will
:>it some day make it as flaky as the bad drivers in Windows make
:>it?

: I don't think so.  Certainly the drivers themselves may be just as
: flakey, but even then, the OS is far more stable, and prevents one
: flakey driver from causing crashes to apps or other drivers.

: But you do raise a valid point.  This is why so much spontaneous effort
: seems to go in to producing open source versions of any necessary
: drivers.  You can't make a piece of hardware available and not have some
: Linux freak reverse engineer a driver for it; it simply can't be done.
: Often it takes time, though.  In the end, trying to use hardware
: "incompatibilities" to control the market is doomed to failure, in a
: competitive free market, the fact that its worked so well in the
: monopolized world of Windows notwithstanding.

The problem is that hardware is always changing.  There is always
a lag if the opensource people can't even begin development until
after the card is out in the marketplace.  This is an unfair advantage
Windows has in drivers - Windows drivers get developed before the
hardware is out on the shelves, opensource drivers get develeoped
after the hardware is on the sheleves and some developer can get his
hands on it.

The Windows way is much faster, having the vendor supply his own
drivers with the product, but it's also much less stable.  I'm
not sure where the best compramise lays.  The opensource
community-provided driver model wouldn't work if we lived in a
world where there was not some big closed-source OS to drive
initial sales of the hardware when it comes out.  If we'd like
to move to a world where Linux is commonplace, something has to be
done to make the drivers start getting developed *before* the
hardware is on the shelves.  I'm not sure how to do that without
just trusting the vendors to do it themselves.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would linux hackers like an OpenS windows?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 14:52:10 -0500

gswork wrote:

> Out of interest, having spent time time hacking Linux would coders love
> to see the behemoth code that lies underneath Windows?
>
> It would be fascinating would it not?  Some of it is probably pretty
              ^^^^^^^^^^^

You misspelled "laughable"

[Ever see Microsoft source code??? Most of it, even college sophomores
would be ashamed to sign their name to.  No wonder Gates doesn't want
anybody to see it.]

> good stuff.   Imagine having windows as open source.
>
> Ideally-  what would you do?
>
> I'd keep much of the 'friendlyness' in point n click, but have a much
> stronger command line to enable true 'dual command'.    Naturally its
> security would need beefing up seriously.   A total rebuild and
> consolidation of the endless bits of dll and other support files would
> tidy it up too.  The tone of windows would change from 'arms length
> nannying' to 'professional flexible interface'.
>
> hmmm.
>
> Or is that what the open OS's are becoming anyway !
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 14:55:43 -0500

Sandman wrote:

> > > Sure.

> > > Absolutely.

> > > Or highlighting 200 files, and choosing "label" from the menu to batch
> > > process them, or choosing "Convert more..." in Graphic Converter to batch
> > > process 200 files from jpeg to gif? Or choosing "Rename..." from the
> > > contextual menu for 200 files and batch rename them with search and
> > > replace
> > > ".gif -> .jpg". Many many things are batch processed BETTER with a gui.

> > > Yeah.

> > > Hehe, cute. :)

> > > You are a very intelligent young man, and I admire your social skills.
> >
> > Correct tools for the job.
>
> Unless it requires GUI, right?

 I use a GUI...when it's needed.

> > In this case, it's called "Deluging liars and incompetants with the insults
> > they so richly deserve."
>
> Hence I was sarcastic about your social skills.
>
> --
> Sandman[.net]

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3100 W2K Adv Servers deployed accross Europe
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 14:56:12 -0500

Fermin Sanchez wrote:

> Hi Aaron
>
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [...snip...]
>
> > Mind adjusting your lines to an appropriate length when you post URLS
> > of that length?
>
> What about your signature? Mind adjusting that?

It *IS* the appropriate length for the job (troll-be-gone duty).

> --
>
> With kind regards
> Fermin Sanchez
> MCSE+i, MCT

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 5 Feb 2001 19:52:08 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: These don't take into the fact all of the Linux boxes that were compromised
: during the extensive DDoS attacks last fall. Entire university labs of
: Linux boxes were compromised and use in this manner.

Of course Unixen (like Linux) are used more as DOS attackers than
Windows boxes.  That's because remote usability is actaully possible
in Unix.  That's because a cracked Windows box isn't usable for
much of anything unless you can sit on the console, or you have a
really fast connection that can handle remote graphics and you have
time to install terminal services on it after you crack into it.
Once you crack a Unix box, you can actually *use* it from far away.
So basicly, you are comparing a feature that is sometimes exploited
in Unix (remote usability) with Windows that doesn't have that feature
at all, secure or not.

 Steven L. Mading  at  BioMagResBank   (BMRB). UW-Madison
 Programmer/Analyst/(acting SysAdmin)  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 B1108C, Biochem Addition / 433 Babcock Dr / Madison, WI 53706-1544

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aaron R Kulkis
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 14:59:56 -0500

Dan Hinojosa wrote:

> Unfortunately, people like that who call people "fucking idiots" are
> going to drive a few people who would've been happy to support linux's in
> their workplace away.  As an advocate, they don't understand that even
> courtesy counts.  Like you said, "sad".

Are you implying that the stories of Chad Meyers, Pete Goodwin, Flatfish+++,
etc. do NOT paint pictures of complete fucking idiots who risk drowning
every time they take a bath?

> "--==<( Jeepster )>==--" wrote:
>
> > A very sad little boy who pretends to be a man with an important job.
> >
> > Nearly every post he makes he has to swear in.
> >
> > Sad.
> >
> > Still, I suppose it has to be so when Linux attracts mostly long hair
> > weirdos.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:40:59 +0100
From: Nils Zonneveld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Wintrolls

Edward Rosten wrote:

[SNIP]

> Finally, you have people like Goodwin, Flatty and EF who hate linux and
> seem to have is crashing the whole time and can't run software they want,
> yet they keep on using it. Why? No sane person would carry on using
> something if they had so many problems with it (usless it was forced on
> them).
>
> Just my £0.02
>
> -Ed

You'll have to admit that without our much appreciated Wintrolls, this
NG would be utterly boring. Besides that they have a point, not
confirming to the Windoze world is not making your live any easier. I
use a Mac, connected to my trustworthy Linux server and I've used my
electronic banking software on my Mac for years now. Last month though,
I discovered that my Mac client is no longer supported by my bank. Since
we are making the transition from Guilders to Euro's within a year, the
bank has decided to stop support for all programs that don't support the
Euro. They are refusing to make any other clients then windows clients,
because "the other market segments are too small". Unless I switch to
windows I'll be not able to continue electronic banking.  I have
informed with other banks wether they support the Mac OS, or *NIX
platform, nada, zilch nothing, all M$ only. The wintrolls do have a
point here: M$ still has a monopoly.

Just my € 0,02

Nils

--
"Misschien is niets geheel waar, en zelfs dat niet"
Multatuli (Eduard Douwes Dekker) - Idee 1

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:03:54 -0500

"Billy White Jr." wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, G3
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Aaron R. Kulkis at
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > Mostly because he was ousted on the verge of Mac's taking off...

> > Apple usually "Finishes the Job" though.  A lot of people say Mac OS
> > ripped
> > of Xerox.  Baloney.
> >
> > 1: Mac OS did several things (direct object manipulation, window
> > overlapping) that PARC never got NEAR.  Why?  Because the Mac team saw
> > pictures of PARC and ASSUMED it could do them, thus knowing it could be
> > done they'd stop at nothing to accomplish it.
>
> Wrong. They saw a dog and pony show *AT* PARC, seeing the actual
> machines in use. They never saw code, but they saw working machines
> running the code. The work was similar to the computer Jeff Raskin
> envisioned, and Raskin used the meeting to sell Jobs on the concept, who
> was *against* the Mac, and the GUI concept, until the PARC demo. And
> several elements and concepts from Xerox's work appeared in the MAC GUI
> - if it was imitation or concurrent development is up for debate.
>
> Many at Xerox feel Apple ripped them off - some at Apple feel justified
> with what they did, and claim that they did'nt. Apple also paid for the
> demo, but it's unclear if there was an injunction implicit in the
> agreement for Apple not to use what they saw. Make your own judgement.
> Xerox did sue Apple, but they lost - clearly the judge thought Apple was
> innocent.

Most of the Mac code was written by former XEROX PARC employees who
left after Xerox headquarters treated them like expensive nuisances.

> > 2: By the end of it all the key people from PARC were on the Mac team
> > anyway.
>
> Yup.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.