From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:18:46 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
> :>
> :> In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :> > John Hasler wrote:
> :> >>
> :> >> Walt writes:
> :> >> > The dictionary definition of "atheist" is, "one who denies the existence
> :> >> > of God."
> :> >>
> :> >> Make that "_a_ dictionary definition": at best an approximation.  I (an
> :> >> atheist) prefer this definition: "one who denies the existence of your
> :> >> imaginary friend while not claiming to have one of his own".
> :> >>
> :> >> > That is definitely an active belief.
> :> >>
> :> >> "Does not believe" is not "believes not".
> :>
> :> > Geeze, you're as dogmatic as the people you deride.
> :>
> :> Uh, fella, this is as basic a piece of modal logic as one can get.
> :>
> :> You seem to be unaware of the logic of modalities like belief, proof,
> :> necessity, obligation, and so on. Id normally direct you to the
> :> library, but let's try ...
> :>
> :> Basically the logical operators "belief" and "not" do not commute, OK?
> :> I gave you a clearer example of how that can happen using Goedels proof
> :> operator ("prove not" != "not prove"), but the same goes for modal
> :> operators like belief, obligation, and so on.
> :>
> :> Now you know what the subject area is called - it's an important and
> :> large one - you can look it up.
> :>
> :> Peter
>
> : There are only 3 positions to take on a proposition
> : 1) Belief that the proposition is true.
> : 2) "I don't know"
> : 3) Belief that the proposition is not true.
>
> : One cannot claim that one is neither (1) nor (2), and still TOTALLY
> : without a belief.
>
> You are right.  Too bad for your argument, though, that atheists
> often *do* say (2), and your implication that all atheists say

Then they aren't atheists, they are agnostics.

> they are not (1) and not (2) is false.  Firstly, knowlege and belief
> are two seperate things.  Secondly, One can act as if something is
> true whilst being honest and admitting that they don't really know it
> is true.  Similarly one can admit that one doesn't *know* that god
> doesn't exist, while still acing on the assumption that he doesn't,
> as a default hypothesis.  (I'll leave the topic of *why* I think that
> god not existing makes the best default hypothesis for a later
> post, if you are interested.  However, simply taking a position as
> a default hypothesis given a lack of evidence does not count as a
> belief.)
>
> [snip assinine sig]

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:20:15 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Feb 2001 07:12:34 GMT, John Travis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >And Charlie Ebert spoke unto the masses...
> >:When it comes to Koresh, don't we have better things to do
> >:with our Federal money and time than chace religious kooks?
> >:Religious kooks with guns or not, who cares....
> >:
> >:Did they break any law?  I still never heard.
> >
> >Yes, several fire arms laws, hence the ATF.
>
>         Koresh was a licenced machine gun dealer.

....and that license WAS *ISSUED* by the very same ATF...

If they thought he was so dangerous, then why did they renew
his license year after year?

>         So that might be rather disputable.
>
>         Also, the mere presence law enforcment personnel does
>         not demonstrate guilt.
>
> [deletia]
>
>         The bulk of their 'stockpile' was weapons that are available
>         in models that are quite legal for civilians to purchase and
>         own without any special licencing.
>
> --
>
>         The term "popular" is MEANINGLESS in consumer computing. DOS3
>           was more "popular" than contemporary Macintoshes despite the
>           likelihood that someone like you would pay the extra money to
>           not have to deal with DOS3.
>
>           Network effects are everything in computing.
>                                                                / | \

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler predictions...
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:21:44 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>[EMAIL PROTECTED] () posted:
>
> : | >>| >> I'm sure you're speaking about a recent version of Mandrake. Try Win2k
> : | >>| >> and you'll be equally stunned.
> : | >>> |
> : | >>> | I run Win2K Professional and there's no comparison....
> : | >>> | Mandrake wins, hands down, for hardware detection.
> : | >>
> : | >>Do you still have to select your display adapter and monitor?
> :> |
> :> |     Still?
> :> |
> :> |     Redhat 5.0 did video autodetection, nevermind Mandrake 7.2.
>
> : Come on!! I just installed Mandrake under VMWare on my system, as well
> : as on another system and I had to choose monitor and graphics card
> : manually.
>
> VMware gets in the way of some hardware detection.  It presents fake
> virtual devices, but doesn't always give the right answers to the
> autodetection queries by the OS.  I can't get Windows NT to discover
> my 'video card' either when I run VMware the other way around (NT as
> a guest OS, Linux as the native OS).  This is because VMware is
> presenting a fake Video card that doesn't even exist in the real world.
> In the NT control panel, under Display Properties, my Adapter Type is
> listed as "VMware, Inc. svga".  The driver to make this work was
> supplied by a download from VMware, and was not autodetected.  I had
> to use the "Have Disk" style of driver installation.

Oh well.
It certainly isn't a "show-stopper"
merely adds a 10 more minutes to your install.

> : This is how I have always done it and I didn't have to do
> : this when I installed Win2k. My sound card, graphics card (specific
> : drivers), monitor, modems, printer, scanner and zip250 drive were all
> : installed and ready for use when I installed Win2k. My mission here is
> : not really to preach how wonderful Win2k is but to just mention that
> : I've had better experience with Windows plug and play that Linux.
> : Since a Linux version with the new kernel was mentioned with regards
> : to great plug and play support, I thought I'd ask about graphics card
> : detection.
>
> Do you get the same results from native installs of Linux that you
> do from VMware installs?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:22:34 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 02:38:45 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Said Jim Richardson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 3 Feb 2001
> >>On Sat, 03 Feb 2001 07:12:34 GMT,
> >> John Travis, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >> brought forth the following words...:

> >>funnily enough, there were no convictions of firearms violations.
> >
> >Well, considering the suspects burned themselves to death before they
> >could be charged, I don't find it funny at all.
>
>         There were sufficient survivors for a trial.
>
>         Why weren't you aware of this?

Leftists like T. Max are unwilling to admit that government bureacrats
could ever be wrong.

> [deletia]
> --
>
>         Having seen my prefered platform being eaten away by vendorlock and
>         the Lemming mentality in the past, I have a considerable motivation to
>         use Free Software that has nothing to do with ideology and everything
>         to do with pragmatism.
>
>         Free Software is the only way to level the playing field against a
>         market leader that has become immune to market pressures.
>
>         The other alternatives are giving up and just allowing the mediocrity
>         to walk all over you or to see your prefered product die slowly.

>                                                                / | \

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Subject: Re: DOS2Unix
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Form@C)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:24:33 GMT

Mike Martinet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>mlw wrote:
>>
>> Actually, DOS is a very interesting environment, and quite capable of
>> Multitasking, IF a few assumptions are made:
>
><snip>
>segment address to add to the 16 bit offset.  I'm not sure that we're
>not explaining the same thing with different words - nevertheless, I
>just like reading explanations of how hardware does stuff.

erm, bad form I know, but me too!

--
Mick
Olde Nascom Computers - http://www.mixtel.co.uk

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:26:39 GMT

"Dichotimus Grok" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:4yAf6.109653$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> It is almost cerstainly MacMillan.  I bought Mandrake 7.2 "complete" from
> Wal-Mart for $25.00.  Turns out by "complete", they mean without almost
all
> the tools you need for development!!!  There ought to be a class action
> lawsuit filed against MacMillan for calling it "Complete", in my opinion.

They've went from good (6.0) to fantastic (7.1) to lousy (7.2). It's a mess
that was slapped together with a crippled installer for the cheap "Complete"
version. The full gonzo suite is something like $149.00 at MediaPlay in
Chattanooga, TN. (Everybody say ,"Yeah, right") I've no clue what happened
to their $59.00 Deluxe version which, historically, has been pretty good.
The only and I mean ONLY thing that's improved, other than the inclusion of
KDE2, is their hardware detection (excellent).

If you have a fast connection and are the patient sort you can simply use
wget (which is included) and suck down all the RPMS they neglected to
include from one of their mirror sites (ftp.twoguys.org (Georgia, USA) is
pretty responsive).

The better solution would be to buy SuSE.  (Which I'm seeing more and more
of on shelves)

> Still, it *is* enough to get you going so that you can go to
> linux-mandrake.com mirrors and get the stuff you need.  As far as being
> buggy, I find it to be very stable.  Just be sure go to linux-mandrake.com
> and register, so Mandrake will send you the update CD.  Not that I had any
> problems without the Update CD, but better safe than sorry, and it has
KDE2
> if I recall correctly.

It is pretty stable. But, they could have done a far better job with the
distro as presented on the store shelves. Having to go online to download
something you should already have recieved (and used to, in prior releases)
at purchase is more than a little lame.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Paul Thurrott reports: "Microsoft Executives Trash Linux"
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:38:38 GMT

"InBiz" <sl@theplanetdotorg> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=19818
> >
> > "Steve Ballmer recently revealed the not-so-surprising notion that Linux
> was
> > his company's number-one threat.
>
> snip
>
> What else would anyone expect Steve Balmer to say in public. In private
he's
> probably laughing his ass off at the 'Linux threat".

That would be a dire mistake. Out there in serverland, what the big boy
commercial Unices aren't running on, is quickly being swollowed up by the
twin "fads" Linux and BSD. If either one comes through with a cohesive
desktop that people can agree on...Microsoft's toast. They've known this for
quite some time I'd imagine. I guess the not-so-good sales of Win2K have
finally spurred them into action. As for their banking on .NET....I have a
feeling it will fly about as far as DIVX did...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cerberus AOD)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:41:58 GMT

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:48:33 GMT, in my rec.games.frp.dnd coffee mug, which was
quite moldy, G3, a dying weevil, wrote the following with his antennae:
:)>in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Cerberus AOD at
:)>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 2/5/01 3:12 AM:
:)>
:)>> They did? I could of sworn all they did was integrate the active desktop and
:)>> give it USB and decent P&P (not to mention more stable than NT ever was). Same
:)>> old devices and services and all that...
:)>
:)>Um Windows 2000 as in NT 5!  perhaps you're thinking of Windows ME?

No. I went from NT4 to NT5 and plug&play and an integrated active desktop is
about the most difference I see, along w/ USB devices working. And it is
actually more stable than even NT4. Only my video card will lock it up (due to
trying to overclock it). I can go through and find about everything I had in NT4
that 9x didn't have, so I have noticed little else.

:)>-G3

==================
Cerberus AOD / A Paper Cut ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
ICQ UIN: 8878412 (take out SCREWTHESPAM to mail me, okay?)
"Children of tomorrow live in the tears that fall today"
-Children of the Grave, Black Sabbath

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cerberus AOD)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:48:53 GMT

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:11:54 -0500, in my rec.games.frp.dnd coffee mug, which
was quite moldy, Aaron R. Kulkis, a dying weevil, wrote the following with his
antennae:
:)>G3 wrote:
:)>>
:)>> in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Aaron R. Kulkis at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:)>> wrote on 2/5/01 4:55 AM:
:)>>
:)>> > Actually, i am.  Graphics is what got me into computing.
:)>> > I'm also an artist; People on 5 different continents have pictures that
:)>> > I have drawn hanging on their walls.
:)>> >
:)>> >
:)>> >>                             I work in a part of computing where users
:)>> >> have to interact and approve of aesthetically of the stuff I do.  You can't
:)>> >> do image editing in text, you can't to good page layout in text.  You can't
:)>> >> do good web design without previewing it under a GUI.
:)>> >
:)>> > Well DUH.
:)>> >
:)>> > However, writing a memo does NOT require a GUI.
:)>> > Data Entry does NOT require a GUI.
:)>> > Dispatching service personell does NOT require a GUI.
:)>> > Corporate book-keeping does NOT require a GUI
:)>> > Customer contact management does NOT require a GUI
:)>> >
:)>> > Is any of this getting through your thick skull?
:)>>
:)>> Which sort of Data Entry?  I can think of plenty of types that do, plenty
:)>> where the user (some moron the company hired with no presumed experience)
:)>> would benefit GREATLY from a GUI.  But you being a fool don't let little
:)>> things like scientific principles, lawsuits from carpal tunnel, or even ease
:)>> of use infect your vision of a world with 10 foot tall beige towers running
:)>> an OS you totally wrote from scratch.
:)>
:)>When I was as student at Purdue, I spent 12+ hours/day using
:)>UNergonmically-designed keyboards (adm3, adm3a, ad3a+, adm5, DEC VT-xxx's,
:)>Hazeltine, Tektronix, Wyse, and even the dreaded mushy-key boards of
:)>ADDS Regent 20's)...as did a good number of my classmates.
:)>
:)>At that time, the best you could do outside of a terminal room was a
:)>300bit/second dial-up line...so, working in the terminal rooms was pretty
:)>much a requirement.  We basically LIVED in the terminal rooms, going back
:)>to the dorm or off-campus housing only to shower and change clothes.
:)>
:)>In all of those years, I never heard of a single person complaining of
:)>sore hands from working on a keyboard too long.
:)>
:)>If carpal tunnel syndrom was such a problem, then Purdue University
:)>should have been overflowing with cases.   Unergonomic keyboards,
:)>keyboards at all kinds of heights, not always the most convenient,
:)>and close to a thousand CS and Computer Engineering majors.
:)>
:)>The student hospital should have had a line all the way around the
:)>building just to deal with the carpal-tunnel syndrome cases.
:)>
:)>But...for some *straaaaannnnnnnnge* reason, there weren't any.

IBM keyboards are the best IMHO...at least the 80s ones anyway.

:)>And believe me...I knew *EVERYBODY* in the Electrical Engineering and
:)>Computer Science schools (because I took classes in both departments).
:)>
:)>So, don't take it personally if I respond to your claims of
:)>carpal-tunnel syndrome with one word:
:)>
:)>                     BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLshit.
:)>
:)>It's nothing more than some made-up excuse for pampered secretaries
:)>to whine about how 'awful' it is to work in a nice, safe, climate-controlled
:)>office, so that they can get the gullible to believe that being a
:)>secretary is as dangerous as being a trans-continental truck driver.

It is real. It is also found to be one of the most common surgeries to be
performed when it isn't really needed.

:)>> >>
:)>> >> It has nothing to do with using a mouse (90% of what I use I use hot keys
:)>> >> for but they still require a GUI.  14 hot key sequences in photoshop still
:)>> >> require seeing the image!) and everything to do with working with modern
:)>> >> computing and not carrying on a 70's dinosaur legacy of computing.
:)>> >
:)>> > If the bloated, resource-hungery WIMP interface is so easy to use, why
:)>> > do you bypass it in favor of hotkeys?
:)>>
:)>> You seem to be going around in circular logic.  You insisted I must be tied
:)>> to a mouse, I pointed out that I use Hot keys, and you assume that's a
:)>> defect in the GUI?  GUI != Mouse!  The way you manipulate an object is by
:)>> far and away different from the object itself.  Opps I forgot all you UNIX
:)>> idiots still code procedural what with all your stupid schell scripting crap
:)>> and all.
:)>
:)>No...I'm pointing out your inconsistancy.
:)>
:)>You *claim* that the GUI is so necessary, and yet, you spend so much time
:)>telling us how happy you are that the tools have *finally* been provided
:)>to you so that you don't need to use it.
:)>
:)>This contradicts EVERYTHING in the usual song-and-dance routine about how
:)>poooooor users can't learn key-bindings.
:)>
:)>The fact of the matter is this:  People will learn whatever they have to
:)>learn.
:)>When you have drop-down menus, they have to learn what is contained within
:)>each (not-displayed-until-you-select-it) drop-down menu.
:)>
:)>No matter WHAT you do on a computer, you *WILL* have to learn something.
:)>
:)>Trying to make this go away by holding up the GUI as the end-all and be-all
:)>of computing productivity is a fool's errand.
:)>
:)>And apparently, you are the latest fool.
:)>
:)>
:)>>
:)>> >
:)>> >>
:)>> >> Even email "can" be done in text but you can't HTML formated emails in text
:)>> >> and have them look right.
:)>> >>
:)>> >> People who insist text is great for everything don't use their computers for
:)>> >> anything that came out since 82!
:)>> >
:)>> > Of course text is not great for EVERYTHING....but it covers over 95% of
:)>> > what computers are used for.
:)>>
:)>> > If the typical business office had the GUI's ripped out of 95% of the
:)>> > desktops,
:)>> > company would suffer not in the slightest.
:)>>
:)>> You are in some serious need of a reality check.  If we had the rates of eye
:)>> strain, and non-ergonomic injuries we had 30 years ago today we'd have
:)>> LAWSUITS.  Don't you realize people go BLIND staring at your monochrome text
:)>> based gibber?
:)>
:)>So, exactly when will you be suing me?
:)>
:)>I need to know so that I can safely hide my wealth in various off-shore
:)>repositories with a comfortable safety cushion of oh, say, a couple months.
:)>
:)>
:)>>
:)>> All of the things you mention benefit GREATLY in terms of ease of use,
:)>> quickness of sorting information, and efficiency of user interaction by
:)>> having a GUI.  I don't work a lot with Windows so maybe that's where you get
:)>> off thinking that GUIs are all bloated but the ones on my mac are far from
:)>> it.
:)>
:)>Really?
:)>
:)>Ever run 150 simultaneous logins off of ONE 4x30 MHz machine with only
:)>64 Mb of memory?
:)>
:)>You can *EASILY* accomplish this, with VERY good interactive response,
:)>if the machine isn't running some stupid resource-hungry GUI.
:)>
:)>
:)>
:)>>
:)>> -G3!

==================

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UltraEdit in Linux?
Date: 05 Feb 2001 13:49:51 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> hi all:
>
> i am a loyal user of UltraEdit for years under Windows. recently i am
> using more and more Linux for software development, but i haven't
> really found an editor that is quite as good and compact as UltraEdit.
> so far, i've just been using the regular/standard editors that come
> with Linux, such as vi, emacs, and pico.
>
> i would like to have something that would run under X and somewhat
> resembles UltraEdit (keyword high-lighting, space-tab option, auto
> format, and most importantly, the vertical selection!) anyone have any
> idea of such editor in Linux?
>
> thanks in advance.

XEmacs does all that nicely.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]