  Re: Linux is INFERIOR to Windows (Chris Ahlstrom)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 00:35:31 -0500

G3 wrote:

> in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Aaron R. Kulkis at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote on 2/5/01 3:14 PM:
>
> > Well, I don't know where they went to school..
> > but at Purdue, the FIRST thing the profs always discussed in a programming
> > assignment was "what resources do we have available"
> >
> > Conversely, the CS profs always assumed virtually infinite resources.
>
> They went to RPI.
>
> > You must be the ****ONLY*** person in the WHOLE FREAKING WORLD whose
> > PS/2 keyboard wasn't detected during a Linux install.
>
> > 12x ATAPI CD-ROM not detected???
> > I'm not buying THAT load of horse-shit either,
>
> Actually if I recall specifics it wasn't detected under X-Windows, I seem to
> recall being able to get at it from a text prompt.

BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSHIT ALERT!

> > How exactly did you get the install-CD going if the CD-ROM wasn't recognized?
> >
> > Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?
>
> With some stupid boot disk they sent with it.
>
> >> that'd be at least a feasible task, still even the ABIT motherboard is
> >> pretty normal so I'm fairly disappointed the thing didn't go smoother than
> >> it did.)
> >
> > Just fuck off and die, asshole.
>
> Yep this folks is exactly why linux will NEVER be a consumer OS, its
> progenitors insist that if you don't know all its ins and outs like they do
> your problems simply can't exist.
>
> -G3

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 00:35:39 -0500

G3 wrote:

> in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Aaron R. Kulkis at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote on 2/5/01 3:14 PM:
>
> > Well, I don't know where they went to school..
> > but at Purdue, the FIRST thing the profs always discussed in a programming
> > assignment was "what resources do we have available"
> >
> > Conversely, the CS profs always assumed virtually infinite resources.
>
> They went to RPI.
>
> > You must be the ****ONLY*** person in the WHOLE FREAKING WORLD whose
> > PS/2 keyboard wasn't detected during a Linux install.
>
> > 12x ATAPI CD-ROM not detected???
> > I'm not buying THAT load of horse-shit either,
>
> Actually if I recall specifics it wasn't detected under X-Windows, I seem to
> recall being able to get at it from a text prompt.

BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSHIT ALERT!

> > How exactly did you get the install-CD going if the CD-ROM wasn't recognized?
> >
> > Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?
>
> With some stupid boot disk they sent with it.
>
> >> that'd be at least a feasible task, still even the ABIT motherboard is
> >> pretty normal so I'm fairly disappointed the thing didn't go smoother than
> >> it did.)
> >
> > Just fuck off and die, asshole.
>
> Yep this folks is exactly why linux will NEVER be a consumer OS, its
> progenitors insist that if you don't know all its ins and outs like they do
> your problems simply can't exist.
>
> -G3

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 00:37:28 -0500

G3 wrote:

> in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Aaron R. Kulkis at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote on 2/5/01 3:14 PM:
>
> > Well, I don't know where they went to school..
> > but at Purdue, the FIRST thing the profs always discussed in a programming
> > assignment was "what resources do we have available"
> >
> > Conversely, the CS profs always assumed virtually infinite resources.
>
> They went to RPI.
>
> > You must be the ****ONLY*** person in the WHOLE FREAKING WORLD whose
> > PS/2 keyboard wasn't detected during a Linux install.
>
> > 12x ATAPI CD-ROM not detected???
> > I'm not buying THAT load of horse-shit either,
>
> Actually if I recall specifics it wasn't detected under X-Windows, I seem to
> recall being able to get at it from a text prompt.

WHOOP!  WHOOP!

BULLSHIT ALERT!
BULLSHIT ALERT!
BULLSHIT ALERT!

WHOOP! WHOOP!

X-windows refers to the EXACT same place as the command line prompt:

/dev/cdrom, which is a symbolic link to the actual CD-ROM

> > How exactly did you get the install-CD going if the CD-ROM wasn't recognized?
> >
> > Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?
>
> With some stupid boot disk they sent with it.
>
> >> that'd be at least a feasible task, still even the ABIT motherboard is
> >> pretty normal so I'm fairly disappointed the thing didn't go smoother than
> >> it did.)
> >
> > Just fuck off and die, asshole.
>
> Yep this folks is exactly why linux will NEVER be a consumer OS, its
> progenitors insist that if you don't know all its ins and outs like they do
> your problems simply can't exist.

No....it's an example of my utter CONTEMPT for liars like you...ASSHOLE.

> -G3

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Linux is a fad?
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 05:37:56 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mlw wrote:
>Donn Miller wrote:
>>
>> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>>
>> > Translation: Spend $15 "upgrading" to a USB mouse rather than simply
>> > buying a $3 ATX keyboard/mouse extension cord
>>
>> Someone who writes drivers for both PS/2 and USB mice predicts that in 2
>> years, USB mice will totally replace the PS/2 mice.  I don't agree with
>> this.  For one, how do we know USB will still be around 2 years from
>> now?
>
>USB is likely to be around, there is industry support behind it.
>
>I can see using USB mice, this would free up IRQ 12 for a SCSI adapter or
>something. I can see USB keyboards with USB Mice to have more than one user
>terminal per machine. One could have multiple video cards, keyboards, and mice
>to make a multiple user graphical system.
>--
>http://www.mohawksoft.com

I've just seen a demonstration of USB products at our last Linux
meeting and I'm very impressed with USB keyboards, mice, scanners
and printers and when the bandwidth changes this year on new models,
we will see more USB monitors also.

The ability to have two or more people use the same machine is
nice.  USB has a 12 meter extension length which means you could
put a powerful dual processor machine somewhere centrally located with
it's USB extensions running to different rooms using Linux.

I'm planning on doing this in the future as I want to eliminate
the wasted space at my desk and the noise of a PC.  A centralized
server in a closet would be protected better from dust and dirt
and feet also.

But I'm really very excited about the capabilities of the 2.4 kernel
and Xfree 4.0.  It's going to open up a whole new world of options
for all of us.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: "Stuart R. Fuller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is INFERIOR to Windows
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 05:39:05 GMT

Lincoln Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Probably true if you consider Solaris or VMS, but who can afford the
: price of the software and specialized hardware?

: On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 00:39:38 GMT, "Stuart R. Fuller"
: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:>Charlie Ebert <charlie> wrote:
:>: Linux has the BEST uptime record of any operating system in the
:>: world.
:>
:>Well, between Windows and Linux, that might be true.  However, there's more to
:>the world than Linux and Windows.
:>
:>        Stu

I was specifically referring to VMS.  One site had an uptime of 18 years (yes,
18 YEARS).  Longer than since Linux was invented!

        Stu

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 05:39:57 GMT

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Tom Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> ability
> > > features

> than
> > > 95, and
> had

> > > Quiet! You'll be stone dead in a moment...
> >
> > "I feel happy!  I feel happy!"
>
> *KERTHUNK*

"Okay, nine pence."

Oh, well, I haven't heard that scene through in about
six years.  Sigh.  What a great movie.  What cinematography!

My favorite scene is when the historian gets his throat
slashed.  And his wife rushes to his slain body.

Chris

--
This Windows OS is ghak!  I need dual Pentium
processors to do battle with this code!!!

------------------------------

From: Ralph Miguel Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Wintrolls
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 06:46:34 +0100

Nigel wrote:

>> your layout ? I know, Excel and Word are applications and not the OS, but
>> they are as unreliable as W3.1*/95/98/ME.
>>

> I think its laughable the way that when a linux user mentions a bug in
> Word or excel then the wintrolls say it's only an application and not the
> operating system yet when they have problems with Staroffice or Netscrape
> under Linux then they blame the operating system - If you don't like
> Staroffice then use Koffice / Applixware office and if you don't like
> netscape then use Konqueror, opera, mozilla or one of the many others
> (even word / excel can run on linux under current versions of wine - like
> to see windows users run koffice).

I heard them complain about koffice. Told them that koffice-developers like
to get bug-reports; do you think they understand the way open source works ?
And then I told them nearly the same thing as you -use StarOffice, take
Applixware-, you can guess the answer ? StarOffice is a memory hog (never
seen such thing in the M$-universe?) and Applixware is not for free..... .

I really believe that sometimes playing around with tamagotchi-Win9*
damages the brains.

Cheers

Ralph Miguel Hansen
Using S.u.S.E. 5.3 and SuSE 7.0

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 00:45:14 -0500

Peter Seebach wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >12x ATAPI CD-ROM not detected???
> >I'm not buying THAT load of horse-shit either,
>
> Then you're forgetting one of the most common PC Unix problems; most
> Unix-like systems politely ignore incorrectly jumpered drives - say, a
> slave device on a channel with no master device.

In which case, its what we call in the military "Operator Headspace error"

His implication was that the CD-ROM couldn't be detected because
of some fault of hte OS.

Oh, he later claimed that [/dev/cdrom] could be found by the CLI, but
not by the GUI.

UTTER FUCKING HORSESHIT.

> >How exactly did you get the install-CD going if the CD-ROM wasn't recognized?
>
> Uhm.  The BIOS finds the CD, boots from the El Torito floppy image, and then
> that image loads a kernel which doesn't probe the CD?  This can't happen
> to various users of various OS's more than a few thousand times a week.

Not if the CD-ROM is installed correctly.

> Linux may not be as bad as that guy thought it was, but you sure aren't
> impressing anyone by "debunking" a story which is fairly common and
> well-understood.

I've done quite a few installs, with very NON-standard hardware
configurations with respect to number of disk drives and CD-ROMS.

I've never had a problem even once.

RedHat...SuSE...Mandrake.

Not a single failure to find the CD-ROM....EVER!

> -s
> --
> Copyright 2001, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> C/Unix wizard, Pro-commerce radical, Spam fighter.  Boycott Spamazon!
> Consulting & Computers: http://www.plethora.net/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cerberus AOD)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 05:49:54 GMT

On Tue, 06 Feb 2001 03:15:48 GMT, in my rec.games.frp.dnd coffee mug, which was
quite moldy, G3, a dying weevil, wrote the following with his antennae:
:)>in article [EMAIL PROTECTED],
:)>[EMAIL PROTECTED] at
:)>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 2/5/01 3:46 PM:
:)>
:)>>>
:)>>> IBM keyboards are the best IMHO...at least the 80s ones anyway.
:)>>>
:)>>
:)>> The keyboard on the original PC is about the worst in the history of
:)>> computing.   The vic-20 had a superior keyboard.
:)>
:)>I was quite saddened when my PS/2 port died recently on my PC and I couldn't
:)>use my sturdy old IBM keyboard anymore.  Still as a testament to the
:)>manufacturing, the keyboard which is older than my comp anyway outlived the
:)>port to which it was attached.

Hehe. Mine is from 1991, working just fine. My dad's is even older, made
sometime in the mid-eighties. They just don't know how to break.

:)>-G3

==================
Cerberus AOD / A Paper Cut ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
ICQ UIN: 8878412 (take out SCREWTHESPAM to mail me, okay?)
"Children of tomorrow live in the tears that fall today"
-Children of the Grave, Black Sabbath

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cerberus AOD)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 05:50:37 GMT

On Tue, 06 Feb 2001 03:17:24 GMT, in my rec.games.frp.dnd coffee mug, which was
quite moldy, G3, a dying weevil, wrote the following with his antennae:
:)>in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Cerberus AOD at
:)>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 2/5/01 3:41 PM:
:)>
:)>> No. I went from NT4 to NT5 and plug&play and an integrated active desktop is
:)>> about the most difference I see, along w/ USB devices working. And it is
:)>> actually more stable than even NT4. Only my video card will lock it up (due to
:)>> trying to overclock it). I can go through and find about everything I had in
:)>> NT4
:)>> that 9x didn't have, so I have noticed little else.
:)>
:)>I had actually been referring to the fact that the core OS is completely
:)>different: IE the stuff you CAN'T see.  I for one love the idea of NT's
:)>guts, with 98's functionality.
:)>
:)>(Just wish they had Personal Websharing for it. )

Personal websharing?

:)>-g3

==================

From: Ralph Miguel Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 06:55:05 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:

>> I don't believe that these "wintrolls" do realize that for sure each
>> pro-linux-guy in this group has made his funny to bitter experiences
>> with  M$-Systems ? Ever got a crash in Excel when trying to save a file
>> and lost
>
> We've all been there...
>
>>  all data ? Ever wrote a 400-pages document and Word 97 didn't agree
>>  with
>
> Ouch! 400 pages in word? You must like punishment :-)

My nephew studied history and I typed his brief history about the
german-danish border using Word 97. Fuck, shit, what a mess, I never will
do it again. Some smart people of M$ told me to save all 10 minutes, but
you know the ways Word can kill a layout. Since then I am using Linux,
doing such work with Lyx/KLyx.

Cheers

Ralph Miguel Hansen
Using S.u.S.E. 5.3 and SuSE 7.0

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cerberus AOD)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 05:53:41 GMT

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:25:09 -0500, in my rec.games.frp.dnd coffee mug, which
was quite moldy, Ben Reiter, a dying weevil, wrote the following with his
antennae:
:)>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, G3
:)><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:)>
:)>> I was quite saddened when my PS/2 port died recently on my PC and I
:)>> couldn't
:)>> use my sturdy old IBM keyboard anymore.  Still as a testament to the
:)>> manufacturing, the keyboard which is older than my comp anyway outlived
:)>> the
:)>> port to which it was attached.
:)>
:)>Ah, the IBM M-series ;)  the massive clicky monstrosity that strikes
:)>fear into the hearts of LAN gamers everywhere... Between that and the
:)>Apple USB Extended II, The Just Don't Make 'Em Like That Anymore.
:)>
:)>The good news, for anyone living near a large university, is that you
:)>can usually find both in quantity at the property disposition yards.
:)>I've got quite a few Extended II's and M-series that were 5USD at
:)>Michigan State's salvage yard.  Worth looking into - if you need
:)>another, let me know and I'll send you ten ;)
:)>
:)>\Ben

Here looking out for when the library ever plans to replace theirs. They have
special keys, but they are otherwise normal. I just can't ever see myself using
any other keyboard until they finally start not clickity-clicking anymore.
==================

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 05:57:22 GMT

J Sloan wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > On 5 Feb 2001 17:45:55 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:
> >
> > >YOU trashed your entire system, because you dont understand linux.
> > Following instructions from Mandrake to the letter.
> > Insert update CD from Mandrake.
> > Select Live Update from Drakconf.
> > System goes through it's paces for about 10 minutes.
> > Next restart, nothing works.
> >
> > What needs to be understood here?
>
> Obviously quite a bit, dear.
>
> jjs

I have a system (Linux) where the hard drive (/dev/hda) has started
whining every now and then, so I know it's gonna fail eventually.
(/dev/hdb is fine, though).

I decided to try to install the RedHat 7.0.90 beta (Fisher) on this
machine.  Part way through the install, I noticed the hard drive
light on continuously, with no action.  I reset.  Nothing, hard
drive light still on.  I gave up on the install, and had to
power off.  One day that hard drive will crash for good.

Anyway, make sure your hardware is okay, flat one.  You may
be kvetching about the wrong stuff.  You might have some
hardware ready to crap out.

Or maybe Live Update from Drakconf has a bug.

Or your cable modem is flaky.  More likely, you have one of
those crappy filters in place, so you can get cable modem and
TV, but the filter shit-cans the modem (it happened to me, so
I don't bother with cable TV in my "computer room".)

The point is to probe and learn, and complain only about
tera-dollar corporations that optimize profits, rather
than user satisfaction.  (Have you tried Word 2000?  What a
piece of crap.  Useful, at the expense of long delays and
100% CPU usage while it processes the text.  SGML, why
hast thou forsaken us?  This version of Word is the buggiest
since Word for Windows 2.0.)

Just finished watching "The Birds."  I wonder what old
Alfred Hitchcock would make of Microsoft... er, I mean,
Crimosoft.

Bill Gates, multi-billionaire in touch with the people.

Chris

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Goodby MS...
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 05:45:22 GMT

In article <es9f6.236$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > >
> > > "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > suspect.

> > > No, he claimed that each function has 23 parameters, that is 23
> parameters
> > > per function.
> >
> > Odd, I didn't read it the same way. Perhaps it is a perception
issue.
> Still,
> > Windows could be easier.
>
> # Load and display BMP from any streambuf derived stream
> CBMP *bmp=new CBMP(streambuf_derived);
> bmp->Display(pDC,APoint,ASize,AspectCorrection,Centering);
> delete bmp;
>
> Gotta love C++...
> Do the silly shit once and wrap it up in a class!

Actually, that would be MS not able to write a decent API and or Class

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 06:00:24 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> You are an idiot who can't even read your own messages.
>
> Back in the bozo bin with you because it's obvious you are drinking
> again.

Fish do the drinking, don't they?

Anyway, why are you guys polluting this serious newsgroup?
Be nice.  Go to a sucks site or some advocacy site, to
talk this crap, por favor.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 06:02:25 GMT

"Stuart R. Fuller" wrote:

> Lincoln Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Probably true if you consider Solaris or VMS, but who can afford the
> : price of the software and specialized hardware?
>
> : On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 00:39:38 GMT, "Stuart R. Fuller"
> : <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> :>Charlie Ebert <charlie> wrote:
> :>: Linux has the BEST uptime record of any operating system in the
> :>: world.
> :>
> :>Well, between Windows and Linux, that might be true.  However, there's more to
> :>the world than Linux and Windows.
> :>
> :>        Stu
>
> I was specifically referring to VMS.  One site had an uptime of 18 years (yes,
> 18 YEARS).  Longer than since Linux was invented!
>
>         Stu

Must be some awesome hardware, there!  Well, you won't suck me
into the age-old VMS/UNIX battle!