From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Argh - Ballmer
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 22:24:22 -0700

In article <KihT6.8375$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > Huh?  Once it's in the public domain, it's always in the public
>> > domain.
>>
>> Ohmygawd.  This is so wrong I don't really know quite where to begin.
>
> Perhaps with a valid argument.

You are completely wrong, monumentally misinformed, and do not have the
slightest clue what you are talking about.  Valid enough now?

> This has nothing to do with published code.

Off topic.  Re-read my original post; I discussed publicly funded
research, not published code.  You are replying to me, not me to you.  If
you want to set the topic, then post first.

>> Intellectual property does not enter into the public domain simply
>> because it was publicly funded.  That is a myth and a misconception,
>> and I stand by my original statement.
>
> I didn't say otherwise.  I simply said that once it is in the public
> domain, it can't be re-copyrighted (after a copyright expires, for
> instance) or copyrighted.  The Public Domain work is still public
> domain.

Off topic.  I said pubicly funded research is *not* in the public domain.
Yet you persist in attempting to shift the topic to public domain issues.

>> "Microsoft Authorization Data Specification v. 1.0 for Microsoft
>> Windows 2000 Operating Systems, April, 2000; Copyright 2000 Microsoft
>> Corporation. All rights reserved. "
>>
>> Do you see any attributions there?  I don't.
>
> Why?  It's the specification of the authorization data, not the kerberos
> protocol.  The authorization data is what goes in the extension field of
> the kerberos ticket.

What does that have to do with copyright attributions?  I don't give a
shit about the mechanics of the protocol for the purpose of this
discussion, only the copyright issues.  Get back on topic.

> Then they have the right to copyright the implementation, not the
> specification, unless they make significant changes to it.

That's almost what I said, but again you're not quite right.  A few more
waffling topic-shifting posts and you should have it.

>> > It would help if you didn't distort the facts.
>>
>> It would help if you had some facts.
>
> It would help if you used the right argument.

It would help if you stayed on topic.

As a friend, take my advice, and bail out of this gracefully.  I've got
more IP than you've got pubic hairs.   If you persist, I will bury you.

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows advocate of the year.
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 22:51:48 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ray Chason"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My nomination for Winvocate in a Tux is Ebert.  Sometimes I wonder if
> that man is sane.

Oh shit, Charlie is one of my heroes.  Nobody ever wonders what side of
the fence he's on; he calls a spade a spade.  And sometimes a diamond or a
club or a heart gets called a spade too.  Charlie cuts a wide swath.

I had a meeting this morning where I wish I had Charlie on our team.  I
would have loved to see the look on my CEO's face when Charlie accused him
of sucking Bill Gates' oatmeal-covered genitalia for a breakfast snack.
And it would have been even more fun if Charlie had got in the mood and
started being actually insulting.

Yeah, I'll vote for Charlie for whatever.  So... what are we gonna name
these awards?  Emmy, Oscar, we too gotta have something catchy.

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 05:58:59 GMT

Paolo Ciambotti wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ray Chason"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > My nomination for Winvocate in a Tux is Ebert.  Sometimes I wonder if
> > that man is sane.
>
> Oh shit, Charlie is one of my heroes.  Nobody ever wonders what side of
> the fence he's on; he calls a spade a spade.  And sometimes a diamond or a
> club or a heart gets called a spade too.  Charlie cuts a wide swath.
>
> I had a meeting this morning where I wish I had Charlie on our team.  I
> would have loved to see the look on my CEO's face when Charlie accused him
> of sucking Bill Gates' oatmeal-covered genitalia for a breakfast snack.
> And it would have been even more fun if Charlie had got in the mood and
> started being actually insulting.
>
> Yeah, I'll vote for Charlie for whatever.  So... what are we gonna name
> these awards?  Emmy, Oscar, we too gotta have something catchy.

Yeah I'd definitely nominate Aaron... he's threatened to kill Bill Gates
3 times since I've been in here, and he's made numerous threats against
other people. Not only that but the guy is a total loon... I finally
decided to take him off my killfile when I realized the fun I was
missing trying to get him to admit he was posting from a Windows
machine.

And Ebert... God what a nutcase. He seems to have a fascination with
"shoving things up peoples _sses". Go research it on Deja.com, I
wouldn't make that up. His fowl, crude, and low-brow statements make
into my dictionary of some of the funniest USENET drivel I've ever seen.

So I'd nominate both of them.

--
- Brent

"General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
- Darth Vader

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 06:02:55 GMT

"Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:SaOS6.23$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Another irony is that MS pays no federal income tax at all by exploiting
> various loopholes.

The same "loopholes" available to, and used by, every other company,
including Cisco, the company mentioned in the article's headline. But that
wasn't the real point of the article.

-- Mike --

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:08:25 +0200

"Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9fkd06$1eeg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> The distinction is that the GUI & GDI are separate.  If the GUI crashes,
> fine, just respawn explorer.  If the GDI crashes, well WinNT needs that to
> function correctly so it throws an exception (Blue screen)

Okay, but why does it need the GDI to function correctly?
What is the *point* in making the OS depended on the GDI?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:08:59 +0200

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:

> > Why? What is the reason for this decision?
>
> Speed.

How making the OS crash if the GDI crash (even in it's in user mode) cause
speed increase?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:10:17 +0200

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:NLgT6.8365$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9fji5f$hb1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:My9T6.8045$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:9fi8iq$md7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> restart
> > > it,
> > >
> > > Why should it restart it?  If the GUI crashes, that means something is
> > > seriously wrong, and will likely just crash again.
> >
> > Why should the GUI crashing cause a full system halt?
> > NT is aimed at servers, not just desktops. This just doesn't makes
sense.
> > Other platforms don't crash if there is a crash in the GUI (well, not
> > always.)
>
> What you fail to realize is that the GUI subsystem ran in the same
subsystem
> as other critical services as well.  If that subsystem crashes, then you
> lose a lot more than just the GUI.

Yes, at the moment it run in kernel space, but would it cause such trouble
if it would run on user space?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:11:27 +0200

"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 13:30:13 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > Why should it restart it?  If the GUI crashes, that means something is
> > seriously wrong, and will likely just crash again.
>
> Why?  There are many things that can cause a crash, and some of them can
> be transient.  Like a bug in the GUI that makes it crash when a user app
> gives it a bad parameter.  Restarting the GUI will solve the problem
> until the user does the same sequence of actions again.

There is a confustion here.
In Windows, there is the GUI, which is handled by Explorer, and there is the
GDI, which does the screen drawing.
You can kill the GUI & restart it, but the GDI is the one that the system is
depended on.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:20:20 +0200

"Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9fkd64$1ent$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Here's the relevant section, hopefully there's no copyright infringement
> here :)

Don't think so, it's a small expert, and you've given the details on who
wrote it.

> Is Windows 2000 Less Stable with Win32 USER and GDI in Kernel Mode?
>
> Some people wondered whether moving this much code into kernel mode would
> substantially affect system stability. The reason the impact on system
> stability has been minimal is that prior to Windows NT 4 (and this is
still
> true today), a bug (such as an access violation) in the user-mode Win32
> subsystem process (Csrss.exe) resulted in a system crash. This crash
occurs
> because the parent process of Csrss (the session manager, Smss, which is
> described in the section "Session Manager (Smss)") does a wait operation
on
> the process handle to Csrss, and if the wait ever returns, Smss crashes
the
> system-because the Win32 subsystem process was (and still is) a vital
> process to the running of the system. Because it was the process that
> contained the data structures that described the windows on the display,
the
> death of that process would kill the user interface. However, even a
Windows
> 2000 system operating as a server, with no interactive processes, can't
run
> without this process, since server processes might be using window
messaging
> to drive the internal state of the application.

Okay, this makes much more sense now.
Win32 is depended on the GDI, and if the GDI crash, Win32 will crash too.
This obviously render the system unworkable.

Can the system *restart* Win32 & GDI?
Or would too much data would be lost to make it a workable solution?

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 06:32:39 GMT

"JS \ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:2X8T6.21115$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Said Quantum Leaper in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 28 May 2001
> > >    [...]
> > Linux
> > >
> > > Sounds more like your problem.  "Linux" is an OS; the only problems it
> > > has are technical glitches or bugs.  As pointed out, the lack of DVD
> > > support is neither.
> > >
> > Linux problem is the 'DVD community' doesn't want open source drivers or
> DVD
> > decoding programs,  so I would say that a problem with Linux.  Closed
> source
> > program are available on the Mac and Windows.

> > alot
> > drive.
> > >
> > > BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!
> > >
> > I guess you never go to Best Buy or any place that sells new computers,
> > since last time I checked most of the computers had a DVD or CDRW or a
> combo
> > drive.   Laugh if you want,  but I would suggest getting you head out of
> the
> > sand first...
>
> Come on, your talking to a guy that's running Windows 95 and is pissed
> because it sucks, but he's too broke to run anything else so he's blaming
> Microsoft. That's Max in a sentence.

True, also I think Max is too stupid to run any other OS.   If I didn't want
to talk so somebody like Max,  I would have done what alot of people have
already done,  Plonk'ed him...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 02:41:40 -0400

Ray Fischer wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Spot the disease-ridden homosexuality promoter.
>
> LOL!  Naw, Kulkis isn't a homophobe in denial!

Do homosexuals have a much shorter lifespan than heterosexuals
a) no
B) YES

Is it due to deadly diseases that they spread amongst themselves
a) no
B) YES

no more questions, your honor.

> --
> Ray Fischer         When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  into you  --  Nietzsche

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 02:41:55 -0400

drsquare wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 15:10:42 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >Spot the disease-ridden homosexuality promoter.
>
> Is he related to your gay lover?

false premise

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 02:42:36 -0400

drsquare wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:54:07 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >chrisv wrote:

> >> Methinks he doth protest too much!
> >
> >There is no such thing as too much protest against people who
> >stupidly contract several deadly diseases.
>
> Well, you seem to have contracted about 17 mental illnesses...

the desire to protect myself from deadly disease is now a mental illness?

interesting definition of mental illness you have there.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 02:43:14 -0400

chrisv wrote:

> drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 04 Jun 2001 22:54:13 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> > ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
> >>
> >>If I object to, and repelled by, someone who dumps poison in the food of
> >>other people sitting at the table, is that supposed to indicate that I
> >>have some "inner conflict" or is it my RATIONAL recognition that this
> >>person is a clear and present danger to EVERYBODY he comes into contact with.
> >
> >Admit it Aaron, you're just coming up with all this shit to try and
> >justify your homophobia. You're not fooling anyone.
>
> If he finds their behavior distasteful, that's certainly his right.
> But, the claim that they harm the population at large by spreading
> hepatitis, is a bit wacko.

....but supported by the Centers for Disease Control.

Hope that helps.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the  dust!
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 08:51:06 +0200

JS \ PL wrote in message ...

>> First off, what if that word document is open and the machine crashes
>> or is shutdown while another user is using the system?  If on reboot,
>> everything is fine than I suspect a list of some sort is saved.
>
>The OS won't crash so I guess we'll never know the answer to "what if it
>crashes". If you shut it down it warns of all active users, and asks if
>you'd like to save whatever programs are open (that's what shutting down
>IS).

I hope you'll forgive us if we all (even including most wintrolls, and MS
themselves) laugh ourselves silly at that statement.

One of the fabulous new added features of both Office XP and Windows XP is
how well it can cope with crashes - automatically recovering documents (for
Office), preparing error reports and sending in details of the bug directly
to MS.  If you don't mind the idea of your PC reporting back to big brother
for every problem, and you believe MS will bother trying to patch the bugs,
then this is a good idea.  But it really shows the kind of confidence MS
have in their own software when they boast of their new crash recovery and
reporting system.