From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:02:53 GMT

"spam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 03:40:34 -0600, "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

<SNIP: Erik talking about how Java has failed, and spam questioning the
reasoning>

> >Also, Java suffered from the fact that Sun only supported the Java language.
> >Yes, there are other languages that target the JVM today, but they are not
> >supported by Sun and discouraged.

> >> Except for the things that don't.  Since MS, the promulgator of the
> >> standard, and you can be real sure that ECMA won't be calling the shots,
> >> will not itself be providing .NET for Linux (or probably anything except
> >> Windows), why won't we see the same problems we saw with Java on Linux
> >> prior to Sun and IBM seeing the light?
> >
> >MS has already contracted with Corel to port .NET to Linux.
> >
> Started the work have they? Any links?

There were several news stories on this including a press release
from MS and Corel. A casual search should turn it up.

You'll also remember that Corel has decided to back off from the
Linux business for awhile and has started working with Microsoft
to build WordPerfect.NET and several other .NET applications.
The report was that 5 or 6 Corel developers were working on the
.NET CLR for Linux.

> >> Your rosy view of .NET assumes that they will be able to overcome all of
> >> the same problems Java faces, but because they are Microsoft it'll all
> >> be a cakewalk.  That they will play fair and not try to use their
> >> control of the platform to favor their own interests.  Basically, nobody
> >> but die-hard MS-lovers believes either one of those things any more.
> >
> >Java's problem was Sun.  They killed it with their management.
>
> It's dead now?

It's floundering, lost in a sea of misdirection, at least.
Sun, nor IBM, nor anyone else really know where to take it.
First they try to make it an embedded language, then they try
to make it an enterprise transaction application server language
(EJB), now they don't seem to be pushing anything. I don't see
Java growing much beyond what it is right now. I've seen several
companies rushing to hire EJB developers, but I've yet to see
a site running JSP/EJB that has the slightest hint of decent
performance. Usually you just get a bunch of timeouts or errors.
Even Sun's own JavaStore which they funnel all their downloads
through (and charge you USD$0.00 for the free stuff, but you
still have to enter all your information) is broken 90% of
the time. I have a feeling when all these companies spend all
this money on EJB and then realize in the end it's horribly slow
and really isn't as scalable as Sun and others have claimed, they'll
be a backlash. Conveniently, .NET will be big around that time.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: This is astonishing (MS/DRM/Hardware Control)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:06:37 GMT

"Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> http://www.wirednews.com/news/technology/0,1282,41614,00.html
>
> ---Begin 1st Quote---
> According to Microsoft, right now the current SAP function will play any
> files, but after the company's market share for the Windows Media Player --
> which is also built into Windows -- is sufficiently large, the company will
> turn on SAP and play only secured files.
>
> The system is designed to work behind-the-scenes, so that consumers aren't
> aware of any digital rights management. When the operating system accesses
> media files, noise is added so that if the audio is intercepted, it won't be
> usable. Once the file makes it through the hardware device and passes it to
> the Windows Media Player, the noise is removed and the file plays.
> ---End 1st Quote---

... and Wired has NEVER been known to blow things WAY out of proportion
or demonize Microsoft.

This is all BS, rumor, and speculation. MS has had DRM for over a year
now and they're not taking over the world with it.

Regardless, just like the RIAA, if MS pulls something stupid like this,
you just go out and download WinAmp, or any of a dozen other players
and be done with it.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 14 Feb 2001 14:22:17 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Adam Warner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> http://www.wirednews.com/news/technology/0,1282,41614,00.html

> ---Begin 1st Quote---
> According to Microsoft, right now the current SAP function will play any
> files, but after the company's market share for the Windows Media Player --
> which is also built into Windows -- is sufficiently large, the company will
> turn on SAP and play only secured files.

> The system is designed to work behind-the-scenes, so that consumers aren't
> aware of any digital rights management. When the operating system accesses
> media files, noise is added so that if the audio is intercepted, it won't be
> usable. Once the file makes it through the hardware device and passes it to
> the Windows Media Player, the noise is removed and the file plays.
> ---End 1st Quote---

> ---Begin 2nd Quote---
> "In order for an encrypted stream to play, Microsoft has to approve the
> driver for your soundcard and sign it," software consultant David E. Weekly
> wrote in an e-mail. "Without a signed driver, the digital rights management
> content won't play. With video digital rights management coming soon
> hereafter, what this really does is give Microsoft the power to determine
> what hardware it will allow to run Windows."
> ---End 2nd Quote---

Its too bad BeOS didnt last just a little bit longer.  It could have really
made a place for itself in the home market in the next couple of years.

But linux exists, and thats a good thing.  I can now and will continue to be
able to play anything I want on any hardware I like.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Subject: Re: Windows vs. Unix printer model (Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!)
Date: 14 Feb 2001 14:41:52 GMT

Edward Rosten posted:
>That's not true. If you print to a captured port rather than an
>uncaptured port if the printer is plugged in to your computer,
>then the print job will go through the spooler.

I've captured LPT1: for network printers in Windows 95 (various
flavours), but is it possible to do so in Windows NT 4? I haven't
been able to find the technology, and it's convenient/necessary
for printing from old console applications that just want to dump
to LPT1:.

--
Neil Cerutti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 10.8 Terabytes of storage for $50
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:44:11 GMT

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Peformance Test
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:49:31 +0800

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:963ql9$i8f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> W2k will not work without a Video card and not a keyboard either.
>
> > Sorry, wrong on both accounts.  It's true that NT and W2k won't work
without
> > a video card *DRIVER*, but there are headless drivers available that are
> > just NO OP's for headless operation.  Also, it runs fine without a
keyboard.
> > You have to make sure your BIOS is configured not to halt on keyboard
errors
> > though (one of the funniest errors ever.. "Keyboard missing, hit F1 to
> > continue")
>
> If by funny, you mean "pathetic", youre quite right.
>
> Also, dont unplug your mouse and then plug it back in and expect it to
work.

Ummm... I do this all of the time with no problem... I am using a MS optical
mouse though... are other mice a problem?

-Todd

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:52:10 +0800

As a Windows 2000 advocate, I'd have to agree that MS is going to kill
themselves if they forge ahead with .NET.

What the hell are they thinking?  I hope they don't really think people are
going to buy into their plan... it might make even diehard windows users
change...

-Todd

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:49:45 +0000

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 23:34:16 +1200, "Adam Warner"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "In order for an encrypted stream to play, Microsoft has to approve the
> driver for your soundcard and sign it," software consultant David E. Weekly
> wrote in an e-mail. "Without a signed driver, the digital rights management
> content won't play. With video digital rights management coming soon
> hereafter, what this really does is give Microsoft the power to determine
> what hardware it will allow to run Windows."

And my digital rights management gives me the power to determine what
software I will allow on my computer.

-- and it ain't anything from Microsoft.

I think that'll go for many, many people. Just hastens the day the world
becomes Microsoft free.

Peter
--

In the 19th century surveyors measured the height of Everest
from 500 miles away in India.

------------------------------

From: Rex Ballard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS executives at LinuxWorld Expo
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:59:11 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <9602e9$86m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >  imekon@$$$REMOVE$$$.freeuk.com (Pete Goodwin) wrote:
> >> R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in

> Considering the number of superclusters using Linux today
> I think we could easily say it hit the mainstream.

Ironically, even though the average computer user spends over half the
time he spends on a PC interacting with UNIX systems (via the Web
browser) most computer users don't know what server they are using.
Many users actually think that it's their PC doing all the work.

This is one of the reasons that a good strong desktop initiative is so
important.
Until Linux is running on the desktop, people will not have all of the
capabilities
available.

> >> They've had a long time to get there...
> >> and they haven't quite made it yet.
> >

> >> Instead they (KDE) appear to be copying Windows.
> >> What innovation Linux?
> >

> I dont' get this.  Windows isn't an original thing!
> Windows is a copy of a MAC from the 80's!
> People who make comments like this must not have been alive
> very long...

It's even worse than that.  Windows 3.0 was a variant of the HP widgets
which were the source for much of Motif.  Simply put,, Windows was
actually
based on UNIX (X11) code base.

Most of the "innovations" in the Windows 95/NT4 desktop were based on
the capabilities of Fvwm, Motif, and CDE.

ActiveDesktop was actually an attempt to mimic many of the features of
the
FVWM, KDE, and GNOME desktops.

Windows ME has many of the features of AfterStep.

Of course, what makes this humerous is that Microsoft Winvocates will
slam and dis
the Linux interface, until Windows exhibits the same behaviors.

I've even noticed that Microsoft has "been inspired" by some other UNIX
features.
Windows 2000 uses the equivalent of "sticky bits" to make MS-Office and
other Microsoft applications to load more quickly.  Of course, since
third party products don't have
the documentation for this feature, they seem to run much slower (Notes,
Netscape,
WordPerfect...).

Judge Jackson shouldn't have lifted the Behavioral remedies.  Under
those remedies,
Microsoft executives would be facing criminal charges right now.

--
Rex Ballard
Information Technology Architect