Linux-Advocacy Digest #192, Volume #32           Wed, 14 Feb 01 15:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: Would linux hackers like an OpenS windows? (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Answer this if you can... ("Mart van de Wege")
  Re: Interesting article
  Re: and none of it is done with windows (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: RH7/3Com and 3Com Mini PCI Ethernet adapter (Chris Webster)
  Re: RH7/3Com and 3Com Mini PCI Ethernet adapter (Chris Webster)
  Re: Interesting article
  Re: linux is dieing
  Re: KDE Whiners (Mig)
  Re: KDE Whiners (Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?=)
  Re: KDE Whiners (Mig)
  Re: and none of it is done with windows (Mig)
  Re: Linux Threat: non-existant
  Re: RH7/3Com and 3Com Mini PCI Ethernet adapter
  Re: The Windows guy.
  Re: Linux and the 21st Century Boom - Re: Wy Linux will/is failing on the desktop
("Mart van de Wege")
  Re: KDE Whiners
  Re: KDE Whiners
  Re: Windows XP! Will it really be reliable? ("Mart van de Wege")

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would linux hackers like an OpenS windows?
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:09:25 -0500

Tim wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >
> > Tim wrote:

> > > Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I belive much of the MS
> > > OS/applications
> > > were in fact written in assembly code.
> >
> > And what relevance does this have to source code written in C?
>
> What relevence does C have to source code written in assembly?

The DISCUSSION is about C source code in the Windows kernel that
is full of gotos, DUMBASS.

If we were talking about ASSEMBLY, then we would be talking
about BRANCHes and JUMPs.

> MS code has loads of goto's, but is written in assembly where
> goto's are the norm. Where's the problem with that?

You are a fucking ignorant tool who doesn't have the foggiest
idea what the hell is being discussed.

yes, DOS was written in assembly...maybe even as late as Windows3.x
series...but NOTHING that we're talking about you dumbass.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Answer this if you can...
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:13:52 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:

>       Then you probably don't really have the money for a computer
>       at all really. CRT monitors have been dirt cheap for some time
>        now.

 Well,

No actually. I've been looking at the price lists recently,
and down here in the Netherlands a decent 17" monitor sells for
at least HFL700 (some USD 350). That's about 25-30% of the total
price of a decent computer system.
I do run a decent monitor at 1280x1024 res, so I don't have a
lot of problems, but then banks tend to pay nice bonuses down here. A
friend of mine can barely afford a 15" Philips 105S, which is a
good monitor, but definitely not fit for prolonged use under
either Linux or Windows. OTOH computer equipment has always been
ridiculously expensive here, in fact my brother living close to
the border used to buy his stuff in Germany.

Mart
--
Happily running Debian, posting with Pan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:23:34 -0000

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:54:52 GMT, Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>

>> Mike Byrns wrote:
>> >
>> > "J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>it.

>> > I say you are wrong.  Post proof to disprove me or accept my assertion.

>> > "Fastest developing UNIX"? That's an oxymoron. :-)
>>
>> Only to pig-headed fools such as yourself.
>
>Such weighty content Aaron ;-)  UNIX doesn't really "develop".  It's an old
>picture from the 60s that was done developing long ago.  Now it's in
>maintenance mode -- striving to keep up as new hardware and technologies
>surface.  I've seen very little development in the core BSD tools since
>Stallman's days.  Oh, I know, it's because they are PERFECT now ;-)  I get
>it -- NOT!

        They're just better than the alternatives. VMS great but it's
        a proprietary dead end as is BeOS. Meanwhile, Microsoft head
        hunts all of the talents in the industry and then bog them
        down with political BS and marketing objectives.

        Unix is "good enough" much like DOS. The difference is that Unix
        was "good enough" for real work and DOS was "good enough" for
        consumer toy machines. Plus that "good enough for toy machines"
        mentality that Microsoft achieved through the first decade or so
        of it's history still haunts it.

--

        Also while the herd mentality is certainly there, I think the
        nature of software interfaces and how they tend to interfere

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: and none of it is done with windows
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:24:06 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on 13 Feb 2001 20:29:31 GMT
<96c5fb$ct9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>> http://www.google.com/press/pressrel/pressrelease48.html
>
>> Have you actually seen what they've done to Deja's archive? And you're
>> proud that none of this is done with Windows?
>
>You are not to respond to any more of my posts, pete, because you
>are too much of a gigantic fucking moron.
>
>Just this last time, ill explain it to you.
>
>Google is right smack dab in the middle of implementing all of the
>stuff that deja used to have, plus bringing back on online the
>archive that goes to 1995.  Apparantly most of it will be completed
>in the next 8 weeks.
>
>Please do not respond to anything I type ever again.

Killfiles are your friend. :-)

Just out of curiosity, though -- how many gigabytes do they have to
wade through in 8 weeks?

[.sigsnip]

                    The Usenet channel.  All messages, all the time.

------------------------------

From: Chris Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,redhat.networking.general
Subject: Re: RH7/3Com and 3Com Mini PCI Ethernet adapter
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:20:05 -0700

> >>I have RHat 7.0 installed on my IBM thinkpad and when I type
> >>
> >>% ifconfig eth0 (or eth1)
> >>
> >>it does not find the card. The card, a 3Com 10/100 PCI Mini Ethernet
> >>adapter works properly when I boot Windows 2000 on the same laptop.
>
> What card? What are you talking about???? Laptops don't have "cards" in
> the same way as desktops do. They have pcmcia sockets or cardbus
> sockets.

Hate for you to be the last person to find out, but they do now.  It's
called *miniPCI*.  On my Dell C800 its a little card that plugs into the
bottom, it currently allows built in ethernet and modem.  miniPCI is
also used in docking stations.  It is supported under linux.

To original poster:

If you 'cat /proc/pci' does the minPCI and 3com show up?

--Chris

------------------------------

From: Chris Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,redhat.networking.general
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:21:04 -0700

> Yea.
> Run Windows instead of Linsux .
>
> Or, do without your hardware like most Linux users.

Hmmm, still waiting for Win98 to support my USB Jumpshot card reader.

--Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:26:46 -0000

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:01:36 GMT, Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:mY6i6.71632$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:HcLh6.114728$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
[deletia]
>>    "The World Wide Web Publishing Service terminated unexpectedly.
>>      It has done this 454 time(s). The following corrective action will be
>>      taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
>
>Sorry Les.  It doesn't ever say that.  The IIS error strings are documented
>on MSDN. Go look em up.
>BTW, I don't consider Apache to be part of Linux any more than IIS is a part
>of Windows.  It's another product.  Where is your evidence and documentation
>of Windows NT code and failure?

        ...except, there aren't alternative distributions of Windows.
        It's not like there is an HP Windows that has IIS taken out.
        It's may be bundleware but it's definitive bundleware.

        As far as error strings go... it's it a tad user hostile to
        expect the end user (or administrator) to go through hoops
        to find proper diagnositic messages.

>> Care to calculate how much of the time this box was off the air in the
>half
>> day it took to accumulate that many restarts?   If we could see the code
>we
>> could tell what was wrong - or maybe fix it.   This is a win2k, sp1 box
>> doing a little bit of xml/xsl processing, by the way, using the stock MS
>> dll for the job.   And, of course the design of WLBS makes connections
>> keep coming to the box even though the service isn't accepting them.
>
>And you didn't know IIS was having problems because?  There are the alerter
>and messenger services that must be setup for all production monitoring.  If
>you didn't do that then don't complain.

        ...and this is supposed to be the "easy server OS".

--

  > ...then there's that NSA version of Linux...

  This would explain the Mars polar lander problem.

                                        Kyle Jacobs, COLA

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: linux is dieing
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:28:45 -0000

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:05:12 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Bloody Viking wrote:
>>
>> Henry_Barta ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>>
>> :     I don't have a UPS on this. If the battery in the laptop were
>> :     any good, I wouldn't need one ;) Neither would I call ComEd
>> :     reliable, but they've been good for weeks now.
>>
>> Yeah, but wait for summer. Anyways, it could be worse. You could be in
>> California with its Third World style problems from the lame laws.
>>

>Price controls ALWAYS lead to shortages.
>
>Ask anybody looking for an apartment in New York.

        This example is hardly definitive. There is a glaringly obvious
        issue of demand being greater than supply in cities such as
        New York. Price controls have NOTHING to do with it.

[deletia]

        This is simply the result of too many people trying to fit
        into too small of an area.

--

        In general, Microsoft is in a position of EXTREME conflict of
        interest being both primary supplier and primary competitor.

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE Whiners
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:26:17 +0100

Tim Hanson wrote:

> Mig wrote:
> >
> > Tim Hanson wrote:
> >
> > > It looks to me like simple competition, which _always_ benefits the
> > > consumer.
> >
> > BS..... This is about KDE<->Ximian and not Gnome<->KDE.
> >
> > Ximian is a commercial entity that uses dirty tricks to sell their
> > products - its as simple as that.
> > --
> > Cheers
> This is the first time I've seen advertizing described as a dirty trick.

Its certainly not what we in Europe are used to.  Why the heck should there
be a link to Ximian when one searches for "TheKompany" or "TrollTech" or
"KDE" ??
I do remenber a case where a comapany had put searchwords for another
company in its meta tags so that when customers searched for the second
company in searchengines they got most pointers to the competitor. Needless
to say that the dirtbags lost in court. I find this to be pretty close.

If it was not dirty why is it then removed?

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:48:52 +0100

Tim Hanson wrote:
> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
> >
> > Tim Hanson wrote:
> >
> > > It looks to me like simple competition, which _always_ benefits the
> > > consumer.
> > >
> > To me it looks like a dirty trick, and I think to a lot of europeans it
> > does. Maybe thats a difference in culture,
>
> Baloney.  Reference to alleged gentler European sensibilities is elitism
> and hogwash.  Note that the KDE team has shown no aversion to crying
> like babies.  Can I now say that immature whining is a European
> charactistic?

Nope.
In germany for example it was until recently forbidden to do advertisements
with directly comparing products. Same for other european countries, some
are still that way.
In the USA this was the norm for a long time.
This IS a difference in culture, what I now can say that Tim Hanson
is a immature asshole who thinks with his gutt.
Accept that there are differences, and that the US way is not the only one.
And for sure not the right one everywhere evertime.

--
Are you sure you REALLY want to read this with Netscape?
[ ] YES  Go to the Microsoft site and download Internet Explorer

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:32:04 +0100

Tim Hanson wrote:

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
> >
> > Tim Hanson wrote:
> >
> > > It looks to me like simple competition, which _always_ benefits the
> > > consumer.
> > >
> > To me it looks like a dirty trick, and I think to a lot of europeans it
> > does. Maybe thats a difference in culture,
>
> Baloney.  Reference to alleged gentler European sensibilities is elitism
> and hogwash.  Note that the KDE team has shown no aversion to crying
> like babies.  Can I now say that immature whining is a European
> charactistic?

I'd rather say that use of words like "cry babies" is a characteristic of
immaturity.

They just complained about the methods this company called Ximian uses.
They didnt complain about Gnome or GTK+ or whatever.. just about Ximian...
Why do you bring Gnome into this?

> As usual in this little (and I do mean little) skirmish, those who
> previously used KDE exclusively will not be spending a penny on Ximian
> products in the future, thank you.  GNOME  users are totally disgusted
> by the immaturity of the KDE team and nothing will ever coax them into
> dreaming about using KDE, by golly.  So what else is new?

How come youre a representative of Gnome users - are you elected as a
public speaker?
What does this "skirmish" has to do with Gnome?

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:33:38 +0100

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > http://www.google.com/press/pressrel/pressrelease48.html
>
> Have you actually seen what they've done to Deja's archive? And you're
> proud that none of this is done with Windows?

The archives run the same OS as allways - Linux! They did with deja and
they do it with google.

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linux Threat: non-existant
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:43:00 -0000

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:53:46 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Paul Colquhoun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 06:03:37 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>> |
>> |"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>message
>> |news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

[deletia]
>> |Anyhow, regardless, it's less than one percent and therefore
>> |insignificant (niche).

>> |Not as relative to the market as a whole. DOS _WAS_ the market,
>> |in essence.
>> |
>> |It would be more like CP/M in the DOS days, in terms of numbers,
>> |at least.
>>

>> You do know that CP/M was around *before* DOS, don't you?
>
>Of course, but that's irrelevant. Think about when DOS was around
>and how popular it was. Think about how unpopular CP/M was around
>that time. That's what I'm talking about.

        They were pretty much the same thing. Except one product
        had the IBM trademark associated with it.

--

        The term "popular" is MEANINGLESS in consumer computing. DOS3
          was more "popular" than contemporary Macintoshes despite the

          Network effects are everything in computing.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,redhat.networking.general
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:46:53 -0000

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:21:04 -0700, Chris Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Yea.
>> Run Windows instead of Linsux .
>>
>> Or, do without your hardware like most Linux users.

        I have been using a USB keyboard, mouse and joystick for 12 months.

        I have been using fully suppported 3D gaming cards of various kinds
        for over 2 years.

        I have been using a flatbed scanner and video overlay card for
        over 2 years.

        What is it that I'm supposed to be missing?

>Hmmm, still waiting for Win98 to support my USB Jumpshot card reader.

--

          The LGPL does infact tend to be used instead of the GPL in instances
          where merely reusing a component, while not actually altering that

          This dramatically alters the nature and usefulness of Free Software
          in practice, contrary to the 'all viral all the time' fantasy the
          anti-GPL cabal here would prefer one to believe.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:48:43 -0000

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:49:04 GMT, chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>He is working on a Linux web server. He wants to do a global replace in VI. I
>>tell him to use sed. He whines a bit, then tries it. I hear from his cube.
>>"Sweet!"
>
>Since when is a global replace in a text file difficult to do in
>Windows?

        With regular expressions?

        Do tell us which Windows applications (besides ports of Unix
        tools) support such things.

--

        Section 8. The Congress shall have power...

        To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for
        limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their
        respective writings and discoveries;
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and the 21st Century Boom - Re: Wy Linux will/is failing on the
desktop
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:40:41 +0100

In article <G2qi6.467$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> I'll make you a deal: find me a case where MS didn't abuse
>> that power to stop an OEM from shipping an alternative to
>> Windows, and I'll go hunting for supporting evidence to my
>> claim.
>
> Huh?  There is no way to prove what you're asking.  All you
> have to do is accuse them of having a secret deal to offset any
> case of an OEM willingly choosing windows.

You're still not getting me Erik? Where in my previous
statements do you see any mention of *secret* deals?!
Iknow I am not a regular yet, but up to this point I have always
backed up my arguments with verifiable facts. Maybe not always
the appropriate facts, but I am more than willing to concede
when *you* provide me with the right facts. Slurs on my
personality however, I will not stand for.
Show me facts, not implications like you have done just now, *then* and
*only then* will I start taking you seriously (and I think the
regulars will agree in this).

Mart

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:55:27 -0000

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:26:17 +0100, Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Tim Hanson wrote:
>
>> Mig wrote:

>> > BS..... This is about KDE<->Ximian and not Gnome<->KDE.
>> >
>> > Ximian is a commercial entity that uses dirty tricks to sell their
>> > products - its as simple as that.
>> > --
>> > Cheers
>> This is the first time I've seen advertizing described as a dirty trick.
>
>Its certainly not what we in Europe are used to.  Why the heck should there
>be a link to Ximian when one searches for "TheKompany" or "TrollTech" or
>"KDE" ??

        Why? They are similar things. It is common to see similar things
        organized together in an index not stored on a computer of some
        kind. Although, that's a little more advanced than the typical
        web search engine.

        Alternately, a particular gnome doodad might be further along
        than the coresponding kde doodad or vice versa.

[deletia]

--

        Unless you've got the engineering process to match a DEC,
        you won't produce a VMS.

        You'll just end up with the likes of NT.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:58:25 -0000

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:26:17 +0100, Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Tim Hanson wrote:
>
>> Mig wrote:
>> >
>> > Tim Hanson wrote:
[deletia]
>> > Ximian is a commercial entity that uses dirty tricks to sell their
>> > products - its as simple as that.
>> > --
>> > Cheers
>> This is the first time I've seen advertizing described as a dirty trick.
>
>Its certainly not what we in Europe are used to.  Why the heck should there
>be a link to Ximian when one searches for "TheKompany" or "TrollTech" or
>"KDE" ??

        The same notion that makes it seem useful to advertise to that
        group of people makes it sensible to cross reference the one
        entity with the other.

[deletia]
>If it was not dirty why is it then removed?

        Ethics is irrelevant when it comes to PR. If something causes
        a stink, you stop doing it to save face. "dirty" has nothing
        to do with it.

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows XP! Will it really be reliable?
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:55:56 +0100

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:

> 64 bits operating systems are extreme overkill (have you any
> idea how big 2^64 is?) for anything but corporate databases...
> *large* corporate databases.
>
> The only thing that makes 2^64 look anything but mind boggling
> huge is MS's bloatwear.  They'll need that address space just
> for their 3D dancing paperclips.

So why is my employer (one of Europe's major bancassurance
groups) still not switching to W2k? We use OS/2 Warp and NT4.0
SP4 for workstations, but AFAIK (I am not privy to this level of
detail, I work in securities, not IT) we run our databases on
medium/big IBM iron. Only our WWW-servers and Domain controllers
run NT. Oh yeah now I remember: financial instutions *care* about
stability and security. BTW a good admistrator makes a world of
difference to a server: our webserver, running NT, is rarely
down. My personal opinion is that the major problem with NT4/5 is
that because management thinks any idiot can configure it, they
can hire just any idiot. Anyone care to comment on that?

Mart

--
Happily running Debian, posting with Pan