  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals ("S.T. Pickrell")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
ignorance...)
Date: 13 Jun 2001 17:13:41 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

>"Nick Condon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
>> The reason such laws exist in the US is the Republican Elizabeth Dole.
>> As transport secretary in the early 1980s, Mrs Dole hit on the idea of
>> linking federal highway grants to raising the legal drinking age to
>> 21. Sadly, even states that are supposed to take freedom particularly
>> seriously, such as New Hampshire (motto: Live free or die) decided to
>> take the cash.
>>
>> This kind of thing is fuelled by two currents in American life: petty
>> puritanism and a pathological obsession with safety.
>
>The problem is, kids are drinking and driving.

People aged 18-21 are not minors, they are adults. Americans can marry,
breed, abort their unborn children, pay taxes, appear in pornographic
films, fight for their country and, the most important priveldge of all,
they can vote at that age. But order a margarita with your enchiladas and
you could end up in the slammer.

>The problem is getting worse, not better,
>with the laws that are in place.

In contrast to places like Europe and Australia where 18 year olds drink
and the problem is falling.

>Compare this to the fine men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces
>who are highly trained individuals and understand the responsiblity
>of carrying a firearm.
>
>The kids out there are drinking way to much as minors and getting
>into cars and driving and killing other innocent people, killing
>and destroying families.

19 year olds aren't kids, and they aren't minors.

>There is a huge problem with drinking and driving and nearly all of
>it is because of minors.

19 year olds aren't kids, and they aren't minors.

>There is a problem, don't downplay it.

The answer is not to stop youngsters from drinking. It lies in better
education, targetted policing, and cracking down hard on offenders.

>People had their freedom,
>and they blew the responsibility and continue to blow it. If you
>abuse your freedom and use it to kill other people, you shouldn't
>have that freedom any longer.

So if studies showed that, say 37-year olds caused most of the drunk
driving incidents, you'd ban drinking at 36? And allow them to start again
at 38?

Anyway, if it's such a success, why not raise the drinking age to 31? or
51? or ban drinking all together? That was huge success wasn't it?

> < 21 year olds have proven themselves
>unworthy of the privilege of drinking at 18 yo.

Saying all 18 year olds are irresponsible is like saying all 65 year olds
are senile. It called discrimination, and a country that thinks of itself
as founded in liberty should hang it's head in shame.

>I realize that's not a very conservative viewpoint,

That's an extremely conservative view-point.

>but from a society perspective,
>freedom is one thing, but if your freedom involves others dying,
>then that's not freedom at all. Just like yelling "Fire!" in
>a crowded movie theatre. Your freedom adversely affects the freedom
>of others.

Drinking and driving is already illegal, just like shouting "Fire!" in a
theatre. What you're suggesting is like saying we'd better not let any 18 -
21 year olds in the theatre because some of them have yelled "Fire!" in the
past.

--
Nick

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:11:03 +0100

>> The Conservative's had a crushing defeat :) well, it definately shows
>> that the British public aren't about to be sucked into the "lower tax"
>> hype created by the Bush admin. in the US. Well, hopefully Tony
>> Blaire's second term will be a good one. Oh, also, what's even better,
>> we know who won! unlike the US election that just dragged on and on.
>> Mind you, I never followed it, esp. when a nation that preaches
>> democracy doesn't practice it when election time rolls around.
>
> <sigh>
>
> Talk about keeping your head in your own little world. You don't know
> the first thing about American Democracy. That election fiasco was an
> example of how firm and solid the American democracy is and how it can
> withstand the challenge of corrupt officials (Gore, Clinton) and an
> attack from within.

I think that the first-past-the-post method used in the UK and US for
elections is out of date. It had its place when communications were poor
and proportional representation would have been very difficult to do. In
this day and age, I can't see how a system which lets the guy who got
fewer actual votes overall get in to power can be justified. We have a
similar problem here that the number of seats a party gets is not
linearly related to the number of votes they get, but rather less fair.

And oddly enough we will never get proportional representation here
because it least benefits the party in power.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More funny stuff.
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:16:30 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:41:21 +1200, "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/30/index.html BOFH, home grown humour
> in godzone (aka New Zealand).

No, cobber, godzone is Scotland - and getting better every year now that
global warming is sending the worst of the weather to England...

> any yanks and pome's out there trying to pronounce Waikato, please don't, it
> sounds terrible.

"pomes"!?!?!? NZ is more English than the English.

:-)

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux      starts
  getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:24:41 +0100

>>Ask any ANZAC who were the biggest whiners and complainers in the second
>>world war.  The US didnot save the world actually, so pull your head in
>>and re-read history without all the pro-US propaganda.
>
> We sure were a huge factor, possibly the deciding factor.
>
> Somewhere between the rantings of the zeolots lies the truth.

Being the deciding factor didn't mean that the US won it, since without
any of the other factors, the war would have been lost. It is fair to say
that the victory was an interntaional effort.

The USSR stopped the Nazis in the eastern front and put a huge drain on
the resources.

The UK got the ball rolling (a little late, but better late than never),
stopped the Nazis completely overrunning all of europe and cracked the
enigma code.

The US provided a lot of extra force needed to defeat the Nazis.

Obviously this misses out an enormous amount, but you get the gist that
life would have been a lot harder if one of these was missing.

-Ed

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM Goes Gay
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:26:04 +0100

On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 16:54:11 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The
Ghost In The Machine) wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Peter Hayes
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 08 Jun 2001 18:10:49 +0100
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 06:15:55 -0000, Ray Chason
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>          +------------------------+
> >>          |                        |
> >>          | PLEASE                 |
> >>          |                        |
> >>          | Do not feed the troll. |
> >>          | Thank you.             |
> >>          |                        |
> >>          |         The Management |
> >>          |                        |
> >>          +----------+--+----------+
> >>                     |  |
> >>                     |  |
> >>                     |  |
> >>                     |  |
> >>                     |  |
> >>                     |  |
> >>   *  @   @ ( ) * @ )|@ | / @ \ * * @* * +@
> >>  _)_()_(_(_|(__)_)_(|(_|/__/__)(_(_))_(_/)_
> >
> >Too late. This thread is going to run and run...
>
> Might I suggest some Pepto-Bismol? :-)

I thought you might be recommending some sewing accessory, but...

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:28:38 GMT

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:05:17 -0400, JS \\ PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On 12 Jun 2001 13:42:04 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  ("Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>>
>> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>*those*

>included
>> >with

>> >Download them? DOH
>>
>> What if the modem drivers were on the same disk!
>
>Then you kick yourself in the ass and buy a new modem. If your you lose the
>modem money walking to the store, you kick yourself in the ass again. In all
>above examples you can only blame....you. You 12 year olds always seem to
>think your own mistakes are someone elses fault.

Especially if you're too fucking stupid to figure out how to download the
driver(s) on a PC with a working network connection.

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:42:45 +0200
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Thaddius Maximus"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The Dutch would have a surplus of food if they weren't so freakin'
> fascinated with using every square inch of farmland to grow tulips!

Ok, I have been following your anti-Europe rants in the hope that you
would be slightly more sensible, but now you've done it. FYI farmland in
the Netherlands is predominantly mixed agriculture, mostly cows, corn and
wheat. There is a big stretch of 1 (that is ONE) province out of 12 that
is *predominantly* bulbs (province of Zuid-Holland, around the town of
Lisse). Next time, get an education because I won't be providing it
anymore to you (for free even!).

*plonk*

Mart (Dutch, and proud of it too)

--
Playing for the high one, dancing with the devil,
Going with the flow, it's all the same to me,

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:44:04 +0100

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:17:06 +0100, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

> >> Gak!
> >>
> >> 6502 rules OK!
> >>

> > What are you two on about ???? There is no debate here : it was the
> > MC68000 (and is the processor where I tried my hand at assembly coding).
> > Not your 8-bit junk in a 1-bit computer.
> >
> > :)
>
> No fair!
>
> The 68000 is newer (I think).
>
> To be honest, I've only done assembly coding for the 6502 and it was
> pretty good fun. It is quite amazing the performance you can get if you
> do it by hand.

The 6502, wasn't that the one in the Beeb? I could never get the hang of it,
probably because I found I'd to hand code stuff that one Z80 instruction
would do for you, and my enthusiasm waned after that...

Whether the one Z80 instruction took longer than all the 6502 instructions
was beside the point...

I liked the "alternative register set" in the Z80, where with one
instruction you could flip the thing into a separate task entirely. I had a
Rugby clock programmed in about 50 bytes,  and no external memory either,
just using the alternative registers as memory,. I didn't program it, too
cleverly done for my abilities , but I learned a lot from it.

But to prove my original point, the Z80 is still being produced in its
millions for embedded applications such as washing machines, microwaves,
etc.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance...
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:50:18 GMT

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9g78sp$t94$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> For use on something derived from European technology.
> >
> > Yet another worthless assertion with ZERO evidence to back it up.
>
> The computer originated in europe in case you didn't know. The first ever
> device that could be classified as a modern computer (ie it was Turing
> complete) was built in Germany during WWII by Konrad Zuse (do a google
> search, it shows up a lot of stuff) and was complete (IIRC) in 1943.

I thought Charles Babbage was consider the father of computers?   He never
created a electronic version but he did come up with most of the principles.

Subject: Re: So what software is the NYSE running ?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:01:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
GreyCloud  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Chad Myers wrote:
>>
>> I know you penguinistas will stoop to the lowest levels, but flat out
>> lying is quite rediculous. Are you guys that sad that you must
>> make lies up just to defend your poor choice in OS?
>
>No different than you Windanistas coming in here and whining your big
>ass off.

    Since Chad is a staunch defender of the current power structure I
    do not think that the "anista" flavor of a revolutionary should
    apply to sock puppets like him.

    He has enough trouble with coherent thoughts to assure us that
    revolutionary ones are beyond him.

    His main technique seems to be to keep repeating the same set of
    outrageous claims until his "opponent" killfiles him and then he
    gets to be the "victor".  The ones, like you, who have not killfiled
    him are "pending victories".

    This unbroken string of "victories", with occasional reinforcements
    by newbies recognizing that he is just a sock puppet and killfiling
    him, is what keeps him posting to a Linux advocacy group with some
    cross-posts to COMNA, like this thread, to remind his betters that
    he is "putting on a good show".

    So I think you should reserve Windanistas for higher caliber
    individuals.

--
Microsoft is trying to add to the list of biggest lies of all time:
"Hi. I'm from Microsoft and I am here to protect you from the threat of

------------------------------

From: "S.T. Pickrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.bonehead.steve-chaney,soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:11:32 -0400

Frog2 wrote:
> but i do:
>
> U.S. AIDS CASES BY EXPOSURE CATEGORY
>
> EXPOSURE CATEGORY Sub-totals # of AIDS CASES
> Men who have sex with men - 326,051
> Injecting drug use - -
> MALE 126,889 -
> FEMALE 46,804 -
> TOTAL - 173,693
> Men who have sex w/men and inject drugs - 43,640
> Hemophilia/coagulation disorder - -
> MALE 4,663 -
> FEMALE 248 -
> TOTAL - 4,911
> Heterosexual contact - -
> MALE 23,361 -
> FEMALE 43,128 -
> TOTAL - 66,490
> Receipt of blood transfusion, blood components, or tissue - -
> MALE 4,784 -
> FEMALE 3,598 -
> TOTAL - 8,382
> Risk not reported or identified - -
> MALE 41,037 -
> FEMALE 15,533 -
> TOTAL - 56,572
>
>  - center for disease control, 1999
>
> hth
>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>
> fat kid: i've got some fudge hidden up my ass - you want some?
> chaney: yeah right - i'm not falling for that one again.

I just wanted to see that again.

Shawn