From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Portable Computering On The Cheap. (theory)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:45:10 -0500

Mike Martinet wrote:

> Bloody Viking wrote:
> >
> > Indeed, I'm not a techie by trade. A major problem I have in terms of the job
> > market is a heavy-duty shyness problem, which makes it impossible to "sell
> > myself" in a job interview. My techie-like behaviour (as seen in the original
> > piece) is entirely for my own use.
> >
> > It's pretty common for me to amaze people in real life, just as you were
> > rather amazed at the notion of a computer assembled on-site which I theorised
> > on. As far as remote controls, I once built a remote control jammer to go with
> > a universal remote set for the TVs at work. The same technology could be used
> > for a police LIDAR jammer for use aboard a stealth car, which, by the way, I
> > know how to build. I found out about Stealth Plane Paint from a Popular
> > Science article about "stealth" bridges painted with stealth paint to prevent
> > erroneous double-zero reading on pig radar. I instantly thought of the stealth
> > car - a decade and a half before the stealth plane was revealed. If you ever
> > see a flat black Caprice with funny gratings, chances are that I finally built
> > my stealthmobile.
> >
> > It's quite a shame that I have the shyness problem. I could be working at the
> > Skunk Works on the next version of a stealth bomber. Can you say "Area 51"?
>
> I was going to ask what country you were/are in.  But if you're going to
> be running a Caprice (Chevy ruined it in '99 in my opinion) then that
> pretty much settles the location question.  I would have assumed, going
> by 'Bloody Viking' that you were in Norway or thereabouts.

The bulk of the descendants of the Vikings live in Iceland and Greenland.

> Also, if you get around to making an obnoxious-stereo jammer, I'd love
> to hear about it.  I'd really enjoy being able to throw a switch and
> stifle the speakers of the inconsiderate louts who think everyone in the
> neighborhood wants to hear the proof of their ability to buy enough
> components to over-amplify a bass frequency.  I like loud music myself,
> but I think it's extremely rude to inflict your taste on others.
>
> Okay - back to Linux.  Sorry for the interruption.  Damn those Windows
> users, etc.
>
> MjM

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Reid Fleming)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: 19 Feb 2001 11:57:50 -0800

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:23:33 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

<lame flamebait deleted>

you're obviously bucking for Allchin's job as ms-shill-of-the-millenium.

*plonk*

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Politics (was Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:49:39 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : So why did Gore only challenge the counts in DEMONCROOK-controlled
> : counties?
>
> You'll get no argument out of me about democrats being crooks. After all, I
> live in Chicago, the home base of crooked Dems.
>
> What sucks is that the GOP is not one bit - let alone one byte - above the
> criminality of the Dems. Chances are, we will NEVER know the outcome of the
> Florida debacle, due to the stupid voters too stupid to operate a fucking
> stylus.

>From recent research, it appears that the "bulging" chads are what
you get when an election worker gives you 4 or 5 ballots, and you
try to punch all of them at once, rather than individually.

Stupid Demoncrooks...can't even cheat without screwing up.

> Early on with the debacle, I came to accept Bush v.2.0 as the winner. I did
> not necessarily like the result, but I accepted the result. Something has to
> be said about the sorters being fair, even if I didn't like the result. The
> original recount was a done deal. It should have ended there, once the sorters
> were done counting.

Unfortunately, the "lesser of two evils" is still....evil.

> Where I work, we have lots of mail sorting machines, so I'm plenty familiar
> with sorters. Sorters are unbiased barring a crooked programmer. All the bad
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is why I dislike anything other than hand MARKED (not punched) ballots.

> chads are ignored with the counting machines, no matter the candidate the bad
> chad is for. It's the only fair way to count the votes, given the voting
> apparatus used.

true.

> In any case, vote counting machines should be open source, so anyone can
> inspect the sourcecode to prevent any chance of a crook programmer tampering
> with an election. We may never have to worry about mail sorters, but vote
> counting machines have to be open source to ensure election fairness in all
> future elections.
>
> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: John Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: 19 Feb 2001 19:54:07 GMT

Ziya Oz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: Nick Condon wrote:

: >> Right. I'm thinking "free" software and it ain't GPL.

: > So what *do* you mean by "free software"? IE5?

: Software that comes unattached, without conditions, strings and
: dependencies...as in "free" and not GPLed.

Then you should say "public domain" and perhaps try to understand the
legal complexities that designation presents to authors and users:

  http://www.cmcnyls.edu/public/papers/PublicDo.HTM

John
--
33° 39' 43N   117° 45' 06W

------------------------------

From: Richard Snow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Bye
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:57:59 GMT

Not going to read this stuff anymore

--
Richard Snow
http://snowrichard.dtdns.net

From: John Travis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DVD Audio? Bah!
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:48:55 GMT

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:22:05 -0700, Mike Martinet
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>This is really getting out of hand, and this is probably not the
>newsgroup for it, but you're the only newsgroup people I sort of know
>right now, and I don't want to take the time to hunt down the right NG
>and get to know all those idiots, er users...

Yeah, I first heard about this new and improved bullshit about a year ago.
At that time the dvd/dvd audio players (they wouldn't play in standard dvds)
were marked at well over a grand.  And the titles themselves were going to
be about the same price as a real dvd movie...ludicrous.

>http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2001/2/15/235953/263
>
>http://www.dvd-audio.co.uk/dvda_copyprot.htm

LOL, the diagram alone should be enough to force people to boycott.

>Are you going to buy this?  The RIAA is freaking DESPERATE to move us
>off CDs onto something that has tons of controls built in.  I mean, I
>can't even *read* the above paragraph.  It's entirely too dense with
>shit that has nothing to do with me enjoying music that I've bought and
>paid for.
>
>Like when 'they' wanted us to buy CDs because they would be cheaper than
>vinyl albums.  Yeah, right.
>
>Sorry.

I don't feel bad for the industry at all.  They have kept prices up for
every medium they throw at us.  The only time they drop is when they endorse
the 'next best thing' and bend us over again.  Crap like this really makes
me want to embrace and promote open standards like ogg vorbis etc.

jt

Alternative Computing Solutions...
Debian GNU/Linux   http://www.debian.org
FreeBSD           http://www.freebsd.org

------------------------------

From: Ziya Oz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:09:49 GMT

John Jensen wrote:

> : >> Right. I'm thinking "free" software and it ain't GPL.
>
> : > So what *do* you mean by "free software"? IE5?
>
> : Software that comes unattached, without conditions, strings and
> : dependencies...as in "free" and not GPLed.
>
> Then you should say "public domain" and perhaps try to understand the
> legal complexities that designation presents to authors and users:

Or perhaps people should stop torturing the language with double speak.

****
Ziya

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Date: 19 Feb 2001 20:21:49 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Markus Friedl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:96rit1$ne3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In <ox9k6.55423$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Chad Myers"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> >It's still just telnet, but it's encrypted. You're still just telneting
>> >through a "secure" tunnel.
>>
>> it's not TELNET, it's a different protocol. do your homework.
>> there is no DO and not DONT, there is no WILL and no WONT.
>>
>> it's just TELNET? as opposed to what?

> It may be an encrypted protocol, but in the end, there is a telnet-like
> session, it's essentially telnet. There's nothing you can do with SSH
> that you couldn't do with telnet and vice versa. The different is in the

This is an absolutely lie.  Chad apparantly has never read any ssh
documentation at all.  If he had, he would be comparing it to rsh, not
telnet.

Telnet does not allow the remote execution of commands and binaries.

Telnet does not allow encrypted tunnelling of *any* port-based service.

Telnet does not have built in compression written specifically for
X11 forwarding over slow (read: analog) connections.

Chad myers is a huge, huge idiot and a big fat liar.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:44:03 GMT

In article <4vdk6.41068$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chad Myers wrote:

>"Markus Friedl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:96rit1$ne3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In <ox9k6.55423$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Chad Myers"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> >It's still just telnet, but it's encrypted. You're still just telneting
>> >through a "secure" tunnel.
>>
>> it's not TELNET, it's a different protocol. do your homework.
>> there is no DO and not DONT, there is no WILL and no WONT.
>>
>> it's just TELNET? as opposed to what?
>
>It may be an encrypted protocol, but in the end, there is a telnet-like
>session, it's essentially telnet. There's nothing you can do with SSH
>that you couldn't do with telnet and vice versa. The different is in the
>implementation, but it's still terminal emulation over the internet in
>the end. I really don't see the difference at the end points. So, it's
>updated a little for the 90's (and not very well, I might add), but
>in the end, I'm still looking at a shell prompt.
>

>> >However, given the numerous exploits and vulnerabilities available for
>> >SSH in just the month of February this year, perhaps they should start
>> >calling it "Not so secure shell" NSSSH.
>>
>> no single pointer to a single exploit in all your postings.
>
>So you just easily dismiss all these vulnerabilities simply because no
>exploit has been written for them (THAT WE KNOW OF)?
>
>What about all the ones from last year? The ones I mentioned were just
>THIS MONTH alone!!
>
>> please stop lying to the poeple.
>
>NO, you please stop lying. You're falsely advertising SSH as secure,
>when, in fact, it's not. There are numerous bugs and vulnerabilities.
>According to Theo himself, SSH1 is broken, and many hosts still run
>SSH1. It's not secure according to the creator!
>
>> >There are numerous exploits and attacks on the encryption of SSH1,
>> >and there are beginning to be numerous ones for SSH2 as well.
>>
>> oh, you are a troll. i'm sorry. i'm sorry for replying to your postings.
>
>Troll? Your definition of a troll is someone who presents facts and questions
>conventional (wrong) wisdom? SSH is not secure as demonstrated.
>
>Why do not answer these claims? You dismiss them out of hand, but do not
>answer the general problem.
>
>-Chad

Now!  Hold on a minute jerkwad.

You just finished appologizing for being wrong about your
assertion that OPENSSH was a broken security risk.

What is *THIS* fucking bullcrap about Chad?

Why?

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:16:54 -0600

"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Windows 3.1 integration was anything but seamless.  Windows 95
> > however, had truly seamless 16 bit support.
>
> After Warp it was pretty seamless except for OLE.  At the time though, I
> was writing DOS and Win3 apps and the separate session was the way to go
> for debugging, so Win95 was really the wrong solution.  NT would have
> been a good answer, had it been available when I needed it (and when it
> was promised).

What I meant was OS/2 apps couldn't use Windows device drivers, and the apps
had a different look and feel.

> >> In any case, OS/2 was a much better OS than Win95, technically.  The
GUI
> >> is not why it failed to take over the world and it won't be the reason
> >> Linux doesn't (if it doesn't).
> >
> >I disagree.  I think the GUI is what makes or breaks a graphical OS.
>
> It would be nice to have a truly competitve market where we could test
> this.  Be that as it may, OS/2 didn't fail because of the GUI.  It
> failed because of IBM mismarketing coupled with the anti-competitive
> actions of Microsoft.  Most OS/2 users point to the GUI as one of the
> best features of OS/2.

Most OS/2 power users.  My experience (and I worked with companies that
standardized on OS/2, such as American Express and Target Companies), was
that most average users didn't understand the shell.  It was too complex,
and wasn't very intuitive past the basic functionality.

> >Jim Allchin isn't trying to outlaw Open Source, he's trying to generate
> >sympathy in congress and gain support for their appeal.
>
> Why'd he bring it up then?  Why'd he say that MS needs to "do a better
> job of educating" Congress about Open Source?

Because, he wants congress to feel like they're being victimized by kids
developing software in their garages.  MS knows that there is almost nothing
congress can do about Open Source.  It can't be made illegal, but they can
generate sympathy.

> Jim put his foot in his mouth bigtime.  Everybody is laughing at him,
> even the mainstream media.

Well, they're not targeting the media.  They're targetting decision makers.