From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: 21 Feb 2001 00:14:37 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In comp.os.linux.misc Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:> : That's why Materialism is hopelessly flawed. We all know that JFK
:> : was shot, but can't repeat the experiment. How do we go about
:> : proving a historical event.

:> WTF does that have to do with materialism?

: Materialism claims that nothing can be known but from observation
: of the 5 senses.

: I'm arguing that there are other ways to know something. In this
: case the historical record.

How do you know what's in the historical record?  ESP?
Or by, perhaps, READING - using the eyes.

Oh, and materialism recognizes more than 5 senses.
There are other things, like the kinestetic sense
(knowing which position your body parts are arranged
in right now), and the inner-ear balance sense.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: 20 Feb 2001 17:21:35 -0700

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Craig Kelley"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > If we really want to save lives here, why not ban alcohol so that the
> > DUI rate goes down?  DUIs kill more people every day than hand guns do
> > all year.
>

> You should not let the persuite of the excellent get ni the way of
> the good. Hand guns are banned here and there are far fewer gun
> related deaths here than in the US. If you discount N. Ireland, then
> the statistics look even better.

I agree with the idea, I just don't think it will make anything
better.  If we could instananeously rid ourselves of all hand guns,
I'd be the first to vote for such a plan; but the reality is that
deterence is a factor in this decision.  There will be illegal guns,
and just like the war on drugs is a complete failure, so will a war on
hand gun ownership.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Doc O'Leary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:22:13 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nick Condon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How do you feel about "Nature abhors a vacuum"?

I'd say she must be pretty pissed about 99.99999999999999999% of the
Universe.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux
Date: 21 Feb 2001 00:22:19 GMT

Mike Martinet ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: The next day, when I brought the 360 back up and logged in as 'root', I
: was dumbfounded - I HAD MAIL!  The Operating System on this machine,
: connected to nothing other than power, shut off overnight, had LEFT ME
: MAIL!  I couldn't believe it.  As 'root' I had a message informing me
: that a cron job had failed to run.

: I've been in awe of Unix, in all its flavo(u)rs, ever since.

I got my UNIX start from ISP shell accounts, which I still use. Early on, I
found out that you could set up an email "killfile" with Procmail, but even
better get creative with shell scripts, C code, Perl, to further customise
your bot. I once had this elabourate bot that disabled MIME, filtered on both
good and bad keywords, sorted mailing lists, the whole thing except for the
kitchen sink function. I even had my filter keep a running total of bytes of
spam deleted in my .sig file.

With this, I got the idea of using Linux as a platform for coding further
email bot stuff. I've experimented with anon remailers on my own box. I once
temporarily set up a remailer on the live net to prove a point in a flamewar.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:31:11 GMT

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Bloody Viking wrote:
> >
> > Aaron Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >
> > : Personally, I think a Marine Expeditionary Brigade, 2 Marine
> > : Air Wings, and a couple of Iowa-Class battleships should use
> > : the Redmond, Washington campus of Microsoft as a live-fire
> > : training ground.
> >
> > The Iowa-model battleships would be nice, just make sure to adapt nuke
> > artillery shells to its guns. That way, Redmond becomes MS-Parking Lot v.1.0.
> >

> Na... full broadsides of 16-inch High Explosive rounds are more fun.

Alas, the battleships are no longer here.  All that's left are the Carl
Vinson, Independence, and Ranger here, and the Abraham Lincoln in
Everett.  We'll just have to struggle through with air strikes.

--
Every journalist has a novel in him, which is an excellent place for it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Date: 21 Feb 2001 00:36:34 GMT

Charlie Ebert ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: The residential Windows customers will be the first ones to leave and
: the home PC industry will begin to die as they will simply loose interest
: in the internet and PC's.  They will not be converting to Linux soon.

That will be sad, caused by an evil monopoly. I do agree that home users won't
be converting in droves to Linux as I ended up doing. There will be a lot of
old machines running old Windows among home users, and people buying computers
and using warez copies of old Windows or simply recycling old reinstall CDs
like "distributions".

Only the intrepid home user will use Linux, mostly techies or former techies.
People like me are a rare exception, sadly. But as .NET causes Linux to find
its way to the workplace desktop, that could change, with an easy to install
distro for home users.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:37:23 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Donal K. Fellows ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : How much oil there is depends very largely on how much money you want to
> : pay for it.  The higher the price, there more that it is economically
> : viable to extract.  Over a certain price (ISTR $35/barrel from somewhere)
> : it is even possible to start creating long-chain hydrocarbons from
> : non-petrochemical sources.  The world's not about to end, but it might
> : get a bit more expensive to live the way we do now...
>
> Yes and no. A fact is that there's only a finite amount of oil to be had - at
> any price. A subtle item you miss (and all the economists miss) is that the

That's based on the old "petroleum is fossilized dinosaur fat" theory...
which geologists now consider to be...rather quaint.  The current
thinking is that oil generation is a natural sub-terrainean process,
and that oil deposits are actually just accumulations of oil which
is seeping up from some place...deeper.

> nonconventional oil (tar sands, shales, etc.) are not necessarily obtainable
> at any price. The jury is still out on tar sands and shales as we have not
> found a way to get that oil out in a way that we get more than a barrel for a
> barrel used to extract it. We may find a way, and "suppressed technology" may
> yet emerge, like the petrol-electric car to get triple the fuel economy, based
> on the decades-extant diesel-electric locomotive drivetrain.

I doubt there is any such "suppressed technology".  Oil companies aren't
in the "oil busines"...they are in the "energy-yielding substances business"...
nd anything which lowers THEIR COSTS of providing energy-yielding substances,
they will pursue....after all...that means bigger profits for them.

> The world may not end, but economic disruption will occur. Ask yourself WHY,
> only NOW, did suddenly a petrol-electric car emerge on the market even as SUVs
> sell like hotcakes and as diesel train engines have been around for decades.

1. Hybrid vehicles are more expensive to make.

2.  Hybrid vehicles do NOT significantly reduce fuel consumption...they
merely allow you to change the "where"... you run on electric in the
city center to reduce pollution concentration, and re-charge (producing
pollutants) in the suburbs where things are more spread out.

3. Up until recently, it was easier to reduce fuel consumption by
increasing the efficiency of 4-stroke engines than by adding in
hybrid technology.   I can guarantee that with the crude engineering
tools of the 1960's...or even the mid 1980's....a hybrid vehicle would
have been a complete dud.

It's only lately that we have been able to design "skeletonized"
structural members for things like transmission and motor housings.

Without those, the additional weight would have meant sluggish performance
which would NEVER sell in the US...especially in the 1960's.

> Another tantalising item is all the oil company mergering. Why? It looks
> suspiciously like the corporatocracy is preparing for a coming permanent oil
> shortage. Why would a car emerge that gets triple fuel economy based on a
> decades-old technology used to pull mile-long trains but miniaturised?

Diesel-electrics were NOT introduced to solve a fuel-consumption problem:
they were introduced because they provide better torque from a dead stop
than steam...allowing an increase in the gross tons per locomotive ratio.

Also, they can be remote-controlled from one cab by electrical hookups,
allowing ONE crew to harness the power of three or four engines.  With
steam, you would still need 1 or 2 people in each engine, and the
linkage would probably (in those day) have to have been mechanical,
not electrical.

> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: CR Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:33:13 GMT

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> CR Lyttle wrote:
>>SNIP<<
> > AS long as they keep up the dividends, I don't care if the stock goes up
> > or down, or if the company is number 1 or number 100. I do care about
> > why a change happens. That can be a predictor of whether they are going
> > to keep paying in the future or not. GM, I am afraid, has been getting
> > rid of some of its best long term assets.
>
> 1) Retirements;
>
> 2) Talent pool dilution; For the last few years, GM was REALLY the
> place to work in Detroit... Generous Motors
>
> For decades, if you were an engineer in Detroit, GM was always THE BEST
> company to work for...and for the last few decades, probably Ford and GM
> tied for blue collar jobs like assembly-line work.
>
> Chrysler was already the poor man...and AMC...well, that sick-man
> died 20 years ago...so they're just a footnote.
>
> But...anyways...Chrysler's management, post-Iacocca...decided to
> solve the problem that had always dogged Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth:
> cash crunches during economic downturns....which always meant that
> every time the economy went south, Chrysler had to start laying
> off designers and engineers.
>
> But...as I said...Chrysler management decided to put an end to that,
> and managed to accumulate over $10 BILLION in cash reserves as a
> "rainy day" fund.  This attracted a LOT of top-talent from Ford
> and GM to go over to Chrysler...
>
> Unfortunately, it also attracted some swindlers at Daimler-Benz.
>
> Chrysler HAD *cough* *cough* US $10 BILLION, until the guys at
> Daimler embezzled it.  (You can't tell me that in the
> economy we've had in the US for the last 2 years that Chrysler could
> have lost $11 BILLION in two years....especially when, just prior to
> this, they had just posted record profits.
>
> But now, VW of America has their US headquarters 1/2 down the
> road from Chrysler's combination headquarters/tech-center/
> test-track facility.
>
> Anyway, the best automotive engineering talent used to be shared
> primarily between just Ford and GM... Now it's split 4 ways
> between Ford, GM, Chrysler, and VW.
>
> I don't know if that's "the key"...but it could have something
> to do with it.
>

> > --
> > Russ
> > <http://home.earthlink.net/~lyttlec>
> > Not powered by ActiveX
>
> --
> Aaron R. Kulkis
> Unix Systems Engineer
> DNRC Minister of all I survey
> ICQ # 3056642
..SNIP<<

I was thinking of the Hughes assets, Direct TV, Sattelite business, etc.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:39:11 -0500

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:45:15 GMT, Robert Surenko wrote:
> >In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >No, I understand perfectly. I've been disscussing the Scientific Method.
> >
> >Many people claim that the only way to "know" something is the
> >Scientific Method. They also claim that any other way of "knowing"
> >is un-scientific.
> >
> >So far We've identified 2 ways to "know" something. Iv'e proposed
> >a 3rd. Thanks for the 4th.
>
> I'd take an extreme view here and suggest the only way we can "know"
> anything is by deductive reasoning, and typically we need to make
> assumptions (hypotheses) as a premise for our reasoning. In the
> end we can only "know" things like (x) implies (y).

True. new ideas come from inductive reasoning...but verifying
them comes from deductive reasoning.

> Scientific deduction is not a means by which we can "know", because
> it requires faith in the basic assumption that the universe will behave
> in a consistent manner (for example, the sun will rise tomorrow).
> Since everyone has such faith, it is typically considered acceptable.
>
> --
> Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> elflord at panix dot com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:40:39 -0500

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:35:09 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >
> >And your handgun death rate started RISING as soon as handguns were banned.
>
> You also claimed that the homicide rate in Australia doubled.
>
> Cite, please.

This is *VERY* old news.

----
Police move to tackle huge rise in gun crime
By Ian Burrell, Home Affairs Correspendent

A national firearms database is to be established for the first time,
amid fears over record levels of gun crime.

The setting up of the database, recommended by the official inquiry into
the Dunblane massacre of 1996, comes as a report by senior criminal
intelligence officers has uncovered "major weaknesses" in the way
British police tackle gun crime. For the past 11 months, a team of
officers from the National Criminal Intelligence Service has compiled
details of weapons and ammunition seized by the police and has concluded
that the scale of Britain's black market in firearms is "far higher than
anybody had previously thought".
----

http://www.observer.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,363711,00.html

One in three young criminals is armed

Government research shows use of guns is on the rise and gangster films
are blamed for making it seem 'cool'

Special report: gun violence in Britain

Tony Thompson
Sunday September 3, 2000

One in three criminals under the age of 25 owns or has access to a
firearm, the Government's researchers have discovered.
A continuing parliamentary inquiry into the growing number of black
market weapons has concluded that there are more than three million
illegally held fireahms in circulation - double the number believed to
have been held 10 years ago - and that criminals are more willing than
ever to use them.

> --
> Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> elflord at panix dot com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:42:03 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> <snip>
> > How much do you want to bet that Microsoft NEVER bothers with
> > doing true clean-room implementations.
> >

> Why make a bet?  You *know* M$ doesn't bother!

damn you!
you're gonna scare off all the suckers who would take that bet.

> --
> http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:43:33 -0500

John Rudd wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >

> > Here's a clue...when you see this:
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis
> >  Unix Systems Engineer"
> >
> > stop reading.
> >

> It has nothing to do with whether or not I keep reading.  It has to do
> with the fact that I still have to wade through the BS in order to get
> to the next message.  Or are you now saying that you no longer have the

Hit the "n" key.

> right to impose your rudeness and arrogance upon not just my disk space
> and network bandwidth, but also upon my user routines by making me exert
> all of the extra effort to switch from keyboard mode (with the space
> bar) to mousing up to hit next before I get to the bottom of the
> message?
>
> (and before you try to dismiss this aspect, anyone who knows even the
> slightest bit about ergonomics and repetitive stress issues knows that
> those types of transitions do increase the stress on the users muscles
> in a way that is significant over time and repitition (ie. having to do
> it for each and every one of your messages))
>
> --
> John "kzin" Rudd                       http://www.domain.org/users/kzin
> Truth decays into beauty, while beauty soon becomes merely charm. Charm
> ends up as strangeness, and even that doesn't last. (Physics of Quarks)
>    -----===== Kein Mitleid Fu:r MicroSoft (www.kmfms.com) ======-----

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:45:28 -0500

Sam Morris wrote:

> > No...they are not "petty attacks".  They are accurate analyses
> of the
> > various goofballs named therein.
>
> Ok, Aaron, justify *all* of them. Otherwise, by your own logic,

Check out deja-news.

> they are "petty attacks".
>
> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis