  Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited (Aaron Kulkis)

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:11:06 -0500

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:46:39 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>
> Well, laws are obviously useless if you're not prepared to
> enforce them. That much I can agree on.
>
> However, the issue is not black and white. There are several
> issues involved:
>
> (*)     What type of weapons should be legal ?
>         Shotguns ?
>         Fully automatics ?
>         Lightweight handguns ?
>
> (*)     Should there be mandatory background checks ?
>         Should minors be able to purchase weapons ? Carry them in public
>         places ?
>
> (*)     Should licenses be required for gun owners ?
>
> (*)     Where should we allow the use of guns ?
>         Should it be legal to keep guns in the home ?
>         Carry them in public places ? (parks, shops, restaurants, hospitals)
>
> There are lots of issues here. I don't have any problems with people keeping
> guns in their home, though I have doubts about allowing sniper weapons or

Define "sniper weapon" without making deer-hunting rifles illegal.

> automatic weapons. I don't think convenience is an acceptable excuse for
> making compromises on background checks. I also think there are some real

true.  Except that criminals who fail background checks rarely
go through legal channels anyway....and smuggled guns are usually
CHEAPER than legal guns.

> issues about "where". I have no problem with people keeping shotguns in
> their home, but I would not feel safe if every second person on the
> street was carrying one. Perhaps it's that waving the gun around in a

Why not?  You see it all the time in Switzerland...people routinely
ride their bicycles to the local range, with fully-automatic
military-grade weapons slung on their shoulder...stopping off
at the grocery store to pick up a bit to eat, or what have you.

When Isreal started encouraging civilians to not only purchase,
but to openly carry military-grade rifles, PLO terrorist attacks
dropped off by over 90%.

> public place is a recipe for disaster.

This is because you have a firearms phobia.

> --
> Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> elflord at panix dot com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:19:12 -0500

Interconnect wrote:

> It's a shame the US govt. has decided to stop contributing to the
> international search for fusion power.

Due to the fact of declining academic standards in the US, it's
probably next to impossible to even find qualified physicists
who can ALSO get a US security clearance stringent enough for
such research.

I'm a US citizen since birth, served 12 years (so far) in the
military, participated in one war, and handle code books all
the time.  However, because I have a misdemeanor (driving on
a suspended license...didn't pay some tickets quickly enough)
offence, that prohibits me from getting the necessary security
clearance any time soon.

And with the feminist War-on-Males having passed legislation to
defind normal male sexual behavior as criminal, it's going to
be increasingly difficult to find a lot of native-born Americans
who can pass the background check.

And leaving any pertinent information out on the background
check questionairre is a federal felony.

So...better to let the Europeans do it.

Their K-12 schools are producing educated students, and
they can do the security clearances on their own people.

> [...]
> > : I'm curious.
> >
> > An oil peak for any oilfield follows a pattern, as the late oil geologist
> > King Hubbert noticed. It goes like this.
> >
> > As an oilfield is found, production obviously starts at zero and climbs as
> > wells are added. At some point, discovery of new wells peaks and goes into
> > decline as more dry holes are drilled. After a time delay, production
> peaks,
> > and declines at some rate until the last well is capped.
> >
> > It works out that the same holds true of regions too, and when about half
> the
> > recoverable oil is sucked out, production peaks for the oilfield or
> region, as
> > of course, oil is not found in caverns like giant fuel tanks. Instead, oil
> has
> > to seep around the nooks and crannies of the rocks.
> >
> > How oil peaks disrupt economies is simple. An economy requires energy to
> run,
> > and it did when our apeman ancestors traded flint axes on up to now. In
> the
> > old days, it was stored solar with the crops or the wood to rub 2 sticks
> > together, and of course now with fossil fuels. What an oil peak does in a
> > region unable to import oil (like the OPEC embargo) is disrupt the economy
> > becuse EVERYTHING depends on cheap energy. The food has to be shipped,
> people
> > have to commute, the fileservers use electricity, etc.
> >
> > There is no real substitute for energy in an economy, whatever the source.
> It
> > works out that transportation is as of now almost entirely dependant on
> the
> > black fuel, oil. While we can burn coal, tar sands, and even some shales
> for
> > electricity (Estonia burns shale for electricity), transportation works
> best
> > with a nice dense easy method of energy storage like petrol or diesel.
> >
> > Economic disruption is assured when global oil production peaks becuse now
> we
> > have to retool our whole economy to use electric trains powered from coal
> or
> > shale or tar sand, sailing ships, trolley buses instead of cars, etc.
> There is
> > some debate in eco-newsgroups whether this could cause civilisation to
> > collapse or not. But economic disruption is assured.
> >
> > Check out http://www.oilcrisis.com
> >
> > And if you like to read some macabre rantings from an eco-wacko on this
> topic,
> > try this site:
> >
> > http://www.dieoff.com
> >
> > --
> > FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> > The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> > The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Oeyvind Pedersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:31:01 -0500

Den Wed, 21 Feb 2001 02:37:01 GMT, tastet "Chad Myers"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>"Peter da Silva" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:96v75r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <f8Ek6.46570$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > I never claimed I did. I just want someone to answer for why there
>> > are so many vulnerabilities in SSH. I never claimed I was an expert,
>> > I was merely citing other experts.
>>
>> And when the situation was explained you apologised for the misunderstanding
>> and went on to other things, right?
>
>Things were not explained. Excuses (lame ones) were made for the existing
>vulnerabilities, but no one answered the questions of the actually security
>of infallibility of SSH.

(I don't know why I even bother to comment this...)

I think you have been presented with enough explanations and
documentation from several knowledgeable people here.

You admit that you have no clue what you are talking about, yet you
insist that you are right.

Funny.

>Most major firewall products come with update and patch notification
>services. Even in the worst case, purchasers of firewalls are put on
>a mailing list and are notified if any patches are released or any
>vulnerabilities appear which need addressed immediately.

SSH1 has been patched many times, do you think version numbers are
invented by developers just for fun? However, it is not a firewall, it
is a protocol. A firewall is much more complex than one protocol, and is
simply more work to maintain.

>There are many people out there with older linux distros which have
>SSH1 still enabled. These people are taking SSH's security for granted
>when, in fact, it's not really that secure. In fact, it's
>"fundamentaly flawed".

How about reading the answers you got? (some of them are quite
informative)

Repeating your own misunderstandings and misinterpretation ad infinitum
is not going to help to educate yourself, did you know that?

-oep

------------------------------

From: Marten Kemp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 05:37:25 GMT

Bob Hauck wrote:

<<snip>>
> >> It might well be too late.  Jim Allchin seems to think that what's good
> >> for MS is good for the country.
> >
> > That was GM, not IBM.
>
> Yes, you're right.  I get my arrogant behemoth companies confused
> sometimes.

I've lost the original quote but the original sentiment was "What is
good for GM is good for the country and what is good for the country is
good for GM." Not the arrogant statement that only the first part of the
quotation suggests.

> > Were they really as bad as Microsoft, even in their time, though?
>
> Don't know for sure.  Their heyday was a bit before my time in the
> industry.  I'm told that they did have a policy of trying to prevent
> customers from connecting equipment made by competitors to IBM
> computers.  They apparently leased the computer rather than selling it,
> so that they could force the customer to use only IBM peripherals and
> software.  Of course, this was "good for the customer" because they got
> genuine IBM service instead of a cheap knockoff.
>
> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| Codem Systems, Inc.
>  -| http://www.codem.com/

IBM was eventually forced to allow competitor's equipment to be
attached, but IBM wouldn't support it. During the early days the
operating system software was free and a large amount was shipped as
source code. Once the machines could be purchased the software became a
separately chargable item, usually licensed (rented), and software
support was also an extra cost option. IBM's mainframe hardware and
software support is *still* world-class, with extremely large amounts of
resources available for debugging and problem recreation. I know of many
situations where a significant part of a customer's data center is
replicated on a support system for debugging.
-- Marten Kemp

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 06:08:29 GMT

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:53:28 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

|"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
|news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
|> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:43:52 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
|wrote:
|>
|> >Chad's idiocy aside, I am still myself partially ignorant in this
|> >regard.  I presume Mr. de Raadt is the author of the open source version
|> >of ssh?
|>
|> You can look it up.  From the OpenSSH 2.3.0p1 CREDITS file:
|>
|> ---------
|> Tatu Ylonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - Creator of SSH
|>
|> Aaron Campbell, Bob Beck, Markus Friedl, Niels Provos,
|> Theo de Raadt, and Dug Song - Creators of OpenSSH
|> ---------
|>
|> Then there's a whole slew of other people listed who contributed docs,
|> bug fixes, etc.
|>
|> So our Chad has been holding forth on the flaws of OpenSSH to at least
|> two of the authors of the program, plus one person who co-wrote a book
|> about it (R. E. Silverman).  One would think that in such company he
|> would at least try to educate himself before posting, but that's Chad
|> for you.
|>
|> Followups redirected to Chad's usual home.
|
|Creators of OpenSSH which is based, in part on the "fundamentally flawed"
|protocol.

Nowhere near as "fundamentally flawed" as the SMB protocol was originally,
and MS still puts out products based on SMB.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol

------------------------------

From: Ralph Miguel Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who said NT was stable !
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 07:03:57 +0100

Andy Walker wrote:

> Had an interesting problem yesterday, I tried to load an Excel spreadsheet
> from a floppy which appeared to be corrupt. Every time I tried to load it,
> the entire machine dumped out !
> Would you take this seriously as an operating system in a critical
> enviroment when it can't even cope with a dodgy floppy disk (and no, there
> was no virus on it).
> This isn't the first time this has happened and I doubt it will be the
> last but if they can't even correct bugs like this I'm not surprised most
> internet servers use Linux!

There is one possible reason for this strange behaviour: The designers of
the famous reliable superspeed OS known as Win* decided that a temporarily
file will be created in the same directory where the loaded file is stored.
And on a floppy, you can easily run out of space. So it is safer to copy
the file to the harddisk. I have to work on NT 4 Bugfix 6 and this is not
always funny. This superduper miracolous OS gives me about 2 crashes a
week. And I am doing nothing else than Excel-, Word- and Access-Jobs.
I am forced to laugh when I read the postings of some winsuckers whining
about the Linux-Hardwaresupport. Never had problems with NT when installing
cutting-of-the-edge Hardware ? Oh no, they tell me, blame the manufacturer
who doesn't ship NT-drivers with his Hardware. And have you ever tried NT
as a printer-server for about 30 PC's ? Uarrrgh! Now a tiny Linux-box (133
MHz, 40 MB) does the job without mistakes. I hope you understand this
letter because my english is as buggy as an OS made  by M$.

Cheers

Ralph Miguel Hansen
Using S.u.S.E. 5.3 and SuSE 7.0

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 01:08:06 -0500

Gerry wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Who gives a fuck about sport.  The primary purpose of a gun is to protect
> > yourself and your loved ones from any person or persons who mean do you harm.
>
> The primary purpose of a gun is to kill.
> And more often than not, it isn't against someone who means to do you
> harm.

Actuall, the "silent statistic" is that about one MILLION crimes/year
are prevented in the US by the mere DISPLAY of a gun by a law-abiding
citizen.

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://homepage.mac.com/gbeggs/
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.GerryICQ.com/