From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: HP-UX vs Linux
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:11:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, J Sloan wrote:
>Some lamer wrote:
>
>> HP-UX, on any hardware, is by far a better system than any distribution
>> of Linux.
>
>Hold on there, I admin HP-UX, Linux and Solaris for a living.
>I have also administered UnixWare, SGI Irix and FreeBSD.
>
>HP-UX is a fairly decent implementation of Unix, and HP
>makes some nice hardware. I've got some A-boxes that
>have over a year of uptime. OTOH there are a number of
>K boxes here that are nothing but trouble.
>
>Linux, while much younger than HP-UX, is catching up
>quite quickly, and already puts HP-UX to shame in a
>number of  areas. For instance, to turn swap on a device
>in Linux, you say "swapoff <device name>. In HP-UX,
>you have to reboot.
>
>To add support for a driver in Linux, you say simply say
>"modprobe <driver name>", and add it to modules.conf.
>In HP-UX, you reconfigure the kernel and reboot. Ouch.
>
>I have no trouble changing or adding IP addresses on
>on the fly in Linux, but HP-UX usually gets so horked
>up that it needs to be rebooted to get sorted out if you
>attempt to change the address of an interface.
>
>As long as you don't change anything on an HP-UX
>box, though, it will usually run forever barring hardware
>failure.
>
>Linux comes with features like the firewall/nat/routing
>features of iptables, the fiendishly clever /proc filesystem,
>and all sorts of useful utilities that would require a lot of
>time and effort to get installed and running correctly on
>HP-UX.
>
>The only places where HP-UX has advantages are
>in very high end systems (over 8 CPUs), and in terms
>of vendor recognition and support. We know that Linux
>is making tremendous strides on both points.
>
>jjs

HP contributed heavily to the 64 bit Linux.
They also helped author the Intel 64 bit processor.

The HP-9000 runs on Intel 64 bit processors.

HP-UX is *rumored* to be replaced with Linux in 10 years time.
That was what was going around the newsgroups about 6 months
ago concerning the fate of HP-UX code.

HP-UX is rumored to be replaced with HP-LINUX with their
next generation of computers.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who said NT was stable !
Date: 21 Feb 2001 06:15:58 -0600

Benjamin Stocker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I worked with Windows NT Server and Workstation for more than 2 years.
> I had many troubles and severe problems: The systems were slow, emails
> disappeared in exchange, needed to reboot the webserver all the time, etc.

Nah, you just have to hire a competent NT admin, that's all.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)
Subject: Re: MS seeks Gov't help to stop blacks from using computersRe: Microsoft
Date: 21 Feb 2001 12:14:58 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aaron Kulkis) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Ever notice how the majority of the strictest gun-control laws are
>in those localities with a high proportion of black residents...
>and that these same gun laws ALWAYS allow exceptions for the very
>same people who claim that nobody "needs" a gun.

Are going for some sort of record for how many threads you can introduce
gun control to?

--
Nick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:15:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>Charlie Ebert wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>> >Government research shows use of guns is on the rise and gangster films
>> >are blamed for making it seem 'cool'
>> >
>> >Special report: gun violence in Britain
>> >

>> This is bullshit.  The reason illegal use of Guns is occuring in
>> Great Britian is because they banned them awhile back.
>>
>> If you use something which is banned, it's illegal.
>>
>> ***PROBLEM SOLVED****
>

>then why all of the bullet-riddled bodies in British morgues these days?

Well AK, if you BANN something it becomes illegal, RIGHT?

That's *why* they are finding illegal guns in Great Britian!

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Allchin backtracks, now likes open source
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:16:41 GMT

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> If the Government *WERE TO PASS LEGISLATION* which banned government
> contributions of code to Linux, private vendors would be using Linux
> anyway.  There is nothing to stop those private vendors from using Linux.
> They are selling Linux to the Navy right now to replace Microsoft, Airforce
> too!  There was an article about it in the Linux Journal this month.
> Don't forget about embedded Linux chips taking on Cisco!  Cisco is very
> worried about this as now they have over 100 competitors when before they
> had none.
>
> Even if the Government were stupid enought to ban contributions of code
> from NASA or the NSA or whoever, the vendors would just haul it in anyway.
>
> Microsoft has to face the facts that it has died.
> It just has to face those facts.
>
> And if your a manager who's proposed Microsoft for your business,
> I think you should retire.  You've just become useless to our
> organization.  Retire.

I dunno, our Windows project is going to be DII-COE compliant.
I hear rumors that the DII-COE geniuses want to phase out
the support for UNIX.  In other words, the military wants to
become dependent on a single vendor for their operating
system.  Sounds very outrageous.  If true, I'm dumbfounded,
feckless, and fearful.

Chris

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:18:55 GMT

Shane Phelps wrote:

> You probably need to cluster Solaris or Linux boxes to guarantee 5 nines
> as well, though you'd usually load-share while both boxes are up.
>
> To be fair to NT (and I haven't read the article) the reason for using
> 5-node clusters may be to improve the probability of the voting going
> the right way. Apparently (and this might be computer folklore) there
> was a reasonably high incidence of the majority being wrong in the old
> 3-way voting systems used by NASA and the military.

It looks like each NT box contributes a "9".

------------------------------

From: Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with display properties
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:22:58 +1000

John wrote:

> Hi I installed redhat 6.2 on my computer and when I open let say properties
> of
> display the dialog box does not fit my display and I have move the box
> around to click buttons, it is 640X480. I can not make higher resolution
> beacause my monitor is an old 14'. So I want just to correct what I can.
> Could anybody help me with that.
> Thanks

Find your XF86Config file (/etc/XF86Config, /etc/X11/XF86Config)  You
either have a problem with modelines being too high spec for your
monitor in the 'monitor section' or not having higher resolutions
defined in your 'screens' section.

IanP

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Linux web pads?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:39:44 +0000

It was the Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:13:42 -0100...
...and Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[Web pads]
> > This might look nice, but it'd be an ergonomic disaster. Decent-sized
> > keyboards, reasonable mice, screens that you don't need to hold in your
> > hands to keep them at the right viewing angle etc. -- all that would be
> > gone.
> >
> I beg to differ.
>
> An ASCII-piano can easily be plugged in when needed (just add a PS/2 port
> for QWERTY's sake <G>); a mouse is IMHO an abysmal replacement for a
> decent touch-screen

Only when everything on your screen is at least half the size of the
average fingertip. Have you ever tried to cut and paste a single word
(or, God forbid, a single character) from and into normal-sized text
with a touchscreen?

When it comes to precision, a touchscreen is the most abysmal mouse
replacement there is. (Whereby some people might argue that a mouse is
just an abysmal trackball replacement.)

mawa
--
Hat er auf deinen Haaren am Morgen gelegen
Darf nachmittags er, wie er will, auf mich schnein

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:23:28 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>Chad Myers wrote:
>> >
>> > So our Chad has been holding forth on the flaws of OpenSSH to at least
>> > two of the authors of the program, plus one person who co-wrote a book
>> > about it (R. E. Silverman).  One would think that in such company he
>> > would at least try to educate himself before posting, but that's Chad
>> > for you.
>> >
>> > Followups redirected to Chad's usual home.
>>
>> Creators of OpenSSH which is based, in part on the "fundamentally flawed"
>> protocol.
>>

>Now that is a new twist, Chaddy-boy. First it were only the implementations
>of SSH which in your rantings were "flawed  --  fundamentally flawed  etc",+
>now that you are confronted with people who know the product in question
>inside out and you realise that you don`t have a snowball in hells chance
>to argue against them, suddenly the complete protocol is flawed.
>
>Hey, we should not let "Chad the lying asshole" off the hook here.
>He should explain to all of us where and why the protocol is flawed.
>
>Chad, you are really just a piece of shit. I am sure your mother is very
>ashamed of you, always wringing her hands and asking herself at what
>point things startet to go wrong.
>

>Peter
>
>--
>begin  LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.txt.vbs
>I am a signature virus. Distribute me!
>end

Are *YOU* questioning the assholeness of Chad Myers?

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:25:38 GMT

In article <XcMk6.676$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:96hsg8$c9p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > Pipes have been supported
>> > for years in DOS - I'm not sure when they were first implemented, but
>> > I'm sure I remember using pipes in DOS 2.0. Pipes are a pretty simple
>> > construct, so it's hard to think of why they wouldn't be supported (is
>> > there some other pipe, Aaron?).
>>
>> Incorrect. DOS has never supported pipes. It emulated pipes by putting
>> the pipe contents in to a temp file and then dumpunt the temp file to the
>> input of the next process. DOS could not do proper pipes, since it was
>> single tasking.
>
>"proper pipes"?
>
>The definition of a pipe is to divert the output of one program into the
>input of another.  Multitasking is not a part of the definition.

Da, da da, di di da,      da     duh    da    duh!

It's the stupid olymics.  Contestants from all around the universe
will compete to see who's the biggest Wintroll moron!

Here we have EF and his latest.

If you don't have multitasking EF you can't do pipes.

Okay.  Now be a *BIG BOY* and go home.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:26:14 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>Bloody Viking wrote:
>>
>> Charlie Ebert ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>>
>> : The residential Windows customers will be the first ones to leave and
>> : the home PC industry will begin to die as they will simply loose interest
>> : in the internet and PC's.  They will not be converting to Linux soon.
>>
>> That will be sad, caused by an evil monopoly. I do agree that home users won't
>> be converting in droves to Linux as I ended up doing. There will be a lot of
>> old machines running old Windows among home users, and people buying computers
>> and using warez copies of old Windows or simply recycling old reinstall CDs
>> like "distributions".
>>
>> Only the intrepid home user will use Linux, mostly techies or former techies.
>
>And none of you believe that a demand for pre-installed Linux will form
>as a result of this?
>
>Come on...it's bound to happen.

For some customers, anally inserted Linux would be good.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:27:27 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>Bloody Viking wrote:
>>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> : While NCSA's Green thinks individual interest in OSCAR may be limited
>> : at the moment, she points to her organization's development in 1993 of
>> : Mosaic, an early Web browser that introduced the Internet to a general
>> : audience. OSCAR could do the same for supercomputing.
>>
>> Home supercomputers? Cool! One could be made cheaply enough, with some
>> creativity with the enclosure, sort of like my description of a computer in
>> the "Portable computering on the cheap" thread. A two-mainboard setup would be
>> the easiest for the supercomputing newbie of course. You get duplicate
>> motherboards, the fastest you can afford, two duplicate CPUs, also good fast
>> ones, and LOTS of memory, two fast network cards and two hard drives.
>> Assemble.
>>
>> For the OS, you can presently use Linux Extreme or if you have to cobble the
>> money together anyways, wait for OSCAR. While the two-motherboard setup
>> wouldn't hardly be a supercomputer by modern standards, it would make a nice
>> toy "supercomputer". If you are affluent and handy enough for the enclosure,
>> you could build yourself a cost-effective but pretty capable computer system.
>>
>> A full tower case is pretty roomy inside, and can surely house two
>> motherboards as well as lots of hard drives, albeit with minimalist
>> peripherals . But multimedia goodies are not going to be a concern for a
>> server builder, mad scientist, prime number figurer, etc.
>>

>I saw a dual-motherboard tower case in a store once.
>
>The idiots priced it at $1300...and it was JUST AS WIDE as two normal
>cases placed side by side.
>
>And they couldn't figure out why nobody wanted to buy it...
>
>All of the problems of two seperate machines, with none of the benefits
>(other than being able to share an internal SCSI bus ribbon cable...but
>I'm pretty sure that with a dremel tool and some cutting wheels that I
>could make THAT happen *quite* easily with 2 seperate cases.)

I saw a Tbird motherboard with 1200 mhz Tbird on it for $450.
Imagine this if you will.  1200 mhz.

Comming from 1 mhz, that's a buzz of speed man.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:31:07 +1000

Andy Walker wrote:

> Had an interesting problem yesterday, I tried to load an Excel spreadsheet
> from a floppy which appeared to be corrupt. Every time I tried to load it,
> the entire machine dumped out !
> Would you take this seriously as an operating system in a critical
> enviroment when it can't even cope with a dodgy floppy disk (and no, there
> was no virus on it).
> This isn't the first time this has happened and I doubt it will be the last
> but if they can't even correct bugs like this I'm not surprised most
> internet servers use Linux!

I think what you mean is most webservers run apache, whether the
majority run on Linux is another question.

IanP

--
"Dear someone you've never heard of,
how is so-and-so. Blah blah.

------------------------------

From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How much do you *NEED*?
Date: 21 Feb 2001 06:32:00 -0600

Angel Iglesias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    Kernel unstable drivers do freeze your Linux as well. Recent
> tests have proved that unlike BSD's, Linux can't even respond
> to console requests after hours of intensive serving. There are
> lots of X11 applications (KDE, GNOME and X11 ones) that
> just crash or suddenly disappear.

As an avid FreeBSD user, I can attest that the same is true of FreeBSD as
well.  Many an unstable dynamic kernel mod has crashed FreeBSD.  But then
again, how often do you see FreeBSD KLD's?  Most FreeBSD users prefer to
statically link everything into their kernel.  Here are the KLD's (kernel
modules) I have loaded on my system:

Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    3 0xc0100000 26293c   kernel
 2    1 0xc093d000 2000     green_saver.ko
 3    1 0xc0940000 12000    linux.ko

The fact is that there isn't an OS out there that can't be crashed by bad
drivers.  It's just that we unix people don't use it as a primary excuse
for instability like the Windows homies..

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:31:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Karel Jansens wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Said Erik Funkenbusch in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 19 Feb 2001
>>
>>>MS made Win32 programs work with existing DOS and windows drivers,
>>>something that OS/2 didn't do.  This was important to consumers, as was
>>>the solid look and feel.[...]
>>
>> Blah blah blah.  OS/2's only failing was it was competitive; Windows
>> only value was Microsoft's anti-competitive control of the market.
>>
>> Everything else is pointless second-guessing.  If MS *hadn't* broken the
>> law by monopolizing and thereby prevented the market from making
>> choices, it is possible that the market would have agreed with your
>> ingenuous and cursory analysis.  Based on what happened subsequent to
>> MS's anti-competitive strategies, however, it seems highly unlikely.
>>

>There is a strangely persistent rumour in OS/2 circles that IBM had full
>Win32 support as good as ready for the launch of Warp 4, but that they
>"chose" to leave it out of the finished product, after considerable
>"persuasion" from Microsoft.
>
>It couldn't have been that difficult (*), given that the ODIN project (an open
>source initiative of the OS/2 NetLabs) is pretty much achieving that goal
>right now (It's pretty nifty: instead of going for the WinOS/2 emulation,
>ODIN translates Win32 executables into OS/2 exes, so you end up with Word
>2000 for OS/2(**)!).
>

>(*) Not putting down the ODIN crowd, of course!
>(**) Assuming anyone would really _want_ that...
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Karel Jansens
>==============================
>"Go go gadget linux." Zoomm!
>==============================

Ah Microsoft.  They not only survived the gauntlett but prospered.
Think of all those BIG companies and their BIG BUCKS.

Microsoft survived to emerge from the tunnel to meet Linux.

And from that encounter he died.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Who is the most heavily killfiled person on cola?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:33:43 GMT

In article <9704bq$qbr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Todd wrote:
>Well, I've been in the computer industry in a big way since I was in 7th
>grade elementary... I'm 32 now.  I've done a lot of stuff with computers.
>My interest is definitely computer hardware though... but I don't have
>enough time to play around with it anymore.
>
>I use to be a *huge* OS/2 fan about the time Windows 95 was about to be
>released.  Unfortunately, IBM never fixed what *I felt* were its major
>problems...
>
>I never used a Windows product until NT 3.5 was released.
>
>For me, NT/2000 are not perfect.  However, they let me do more things in the
>least amount of time than any other general purpose OS out there, including
>UNIX.
>
>If Linux continues to improve, I may get more involved with it... sadly, as
>I get older, I don't have enough time or patience to deal with it in its
>current state.
>
>I really hope that Linux continues to improve... it's merely good right now,
>but it has a lot of potential.
>
>-Todd

Well then I guess you might take up working on cars or something.

That's what most *OLD* 32 year aged people do with themselves I'm to
understand.

Nice knowing you old timer.

--
Charlie