  Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:28:28 -0500

Peter Ammon wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >
> > Gerry wrote:

> > > There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. :)
> > >
> > > The US's preoccupation with guns makes me wonder why they have such a
> > > high crime rate if this "statistic" is true.
> >
> > Every state where the restrictions on carrying concealed weapons
> > have been lowered, the crime rate has gone down.
>
> What you fail to mention is that it went down faster in the states that
> did not lower the restrictions.
>
> http://216.6.14.135/research/studies/conctruth.asp
>
> "Between 1992 through 1998 (the last six years for which data exists),
> the violent crime rate in the strict and no-issue states fell 30% while
> the violent crime rate for states that liberalized carry laws prior to
> 1992 dropped half as much -- by 15%."
>

> > Once or twice, it could be considered a coincidence.
> >
> > When it happens in TWENTY DIFFERENT STATES, then the conclusions
> > are obvious.
>
> You can't draw any conclusion from the statistics about states with
> relaxed carry laws alone.  When you add a control, which in this case
> means the states that did not change the laws, then you can begin to
> find some answers.

Please explain why, when Florida removed the restriction for LAW-ABIDING
citizens to carry concealed firearms, that the criminals honed in on
those with rental cars and foreign accents.

It couldn't POSSIBLY be because these people would be the least-likely
to have a concealed weapon....
No...of course not.

> -Peter
>
> [snip gigantic sig]

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:29:47 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > Remember the story of Robin Hood.  Robin's men were outlaws because they
> > were mere commoners in posession of bows and arrows...in defiance of
> > Little Johns "bow and arrow control" laws.
> >
> > Of course, the fact that Little John's purpose for making such laws was
> > so that he could oppress the people is insignificant...right?
>
> LOL! Robin Hood was a common thief.

No...that was the TAX COLLECTOR.

Robin Hood merely returned to the people what was wrongfully stolen
from them by Little John's tax collectors.

> -Ed
>
> --
>                                                      | u98ejr
>                                                      | @
>              Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox
>                                                      | .ac.uk

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How much does it take to make sound work in linux??
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:32:10 +1300

Hi #KUNDAN KUMAR#,

The YMF724 didn't get supported for a long while because Yamaha wouldn't
release the specifications for the card.

Now the ALSA driver includes YMF724 support. Did you download and install
the updated driver?

http://www.alsa-project.org/
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-howto/

At one point you state:
"I again compiled 2.4.1 with everything inside the kernel( no module):
ymfpci, yamaha pci legacy support, OSS support. Now after reboot, there is
not a single sound related module in the kernel. modprobe ymfpci, sound
etc don't work"

This demonstrates a little confusion. If you compiled everything into the
kernel then there will be no need to load any modules using modprobe!

Regards,
Adam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:33:36 -0000

On 20 Feb 2001 23:40:10 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:32:20 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>>

>>Exceedingly poor analysis.
>>

>>You seem to forget that the number of criminals carrying guns tends
>>to remain unchanged by such laws.
>>
>>What part of VIOLENT LAW VIOLATOR do you not understand?
>
>Like a typical rightist, you erroneously paint everything in simple
>dichotomies. The world is not neatly divided into "criminals" /
>"VIOLENT LAW VIOLATEORS" and "law abiding citizens".

        It is indeed rather simple to break up the population into
        such discrete groups. It's only a simple matter of correlating
        abuse of firearms to other criminal arrests, indictments and
        and convictions or to merely consider the action in it's
        given context.

        If the homicide occured during a drug turf conflict, it's
        painfully obvious that we aren't discussing "law abiding"
        citizenry here.

>Are all homicides committed by people with prior criminal convictions ?

        It's certainly easy enough to determine whether or not some
        other crime was being commited at the time or if that person
        is a known felon. Known criminal affiliations are also likely
        a matter of record.

--

        Regarding Copyleft:

          There are more of "US" than there are of "YOU", so I don't
          really give a damn if you're mad that the L/GPL makes it
          harder for you to be a robber baron.

                                                               / | \