Linux-Advocacy Digest #529, Volume #32           Tue, 27 Feb 01 15:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Re: I will now perform a neat trick (Mike Martinet)
  Re: why open source software is better ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Mircosoft Tax ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Something Seemingly Simple. ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Something Seemingly Simple. ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Something Seemingly Simple. ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: [OT] .sig ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: [OT]*10^9 .sig ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux (Peter Hayes)
  Re: [OT] .sig (Richard Heathfield)
  Re: State of linux distros ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: State of linux distros ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Time for a Windows reinstall! (Johannes Bauer)
  Re: State of linux distros ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: [OT] .sig (was: Something Seemingly Simple.) (Richard Heathfield)
  Re: I will now perform a neat trick (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: I wonder how long i can make Kulkis (read fuckwit) sig (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Mircosoft Tax (Armando Ortiz)
  Re: Judge Harry Edwards comments.... (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Mircosoft Tax (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Mircosoft Tax (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Mircosoft Tax (Armando Ortiz)
  Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: [OT] .sig (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Mircosoft Tax ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Mircosoft Tax ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: rh 6.2 and wu-ftp 2.6.0-14 (Armando Ortiz)

From: Mike Martinet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I will now perform a neat trick
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:59:30 -0700

I really hate all these posts about Aaron's .sig.  I wrote a joke post
about it a month ago which I delayed putting up until I got to know cola
personalities a bit better.

If I were to post it now, it'd just look like specious band-wagoning as
opposed to the jewel of prescient wit that it was.

Shucks!

MjM

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: why open source software is better
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:04:26 +0000

>>> You can crap on about the "AUTHOR him/herself agreeing to give out the
>>> source" rubbish. If everyone had to pay for Linux and the price was
>>> the same or more then Windows (the price of Windows could be very
>>> elastic if MS wants) it would be as dead as a Dodo from a popularity
>>> perspective.
>>
>>If it was not open source, Linux would be nowhere now. It's because of
>>the open source nature that it is where it is.
>
> Sort of like sex with a scrubber.
>
> Good if it's free but not if you have to pay for it.

No. Sex is good if its good. But I wouldn't know much about paying for it.

> Cheap shot, I know

Yes.

>>The really bad thing about Windows is that it is poorly written and
>>crash happy (at least the version I bought (ie 95)). I still have it
>>installed, but never run it.
>
> What was Linux like in '95. crude crude crude.

I don't know. I got in to it in 1998.

> Well ....you can say the same thing now :)

Compared to what. For what I want, windows is crude.

> Craven

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:09:17 +0000

> there are two reasons why I think you're smoking crack:
>
> 1) I have actually used Win 311 on a 486. I couldn't get a damn thing
> done
> because it lacked so many features that today we take for granted.

Such as...?

> 2)Win 311 isn't even fundamentally like Win 95. I took that same 486,
> put a
> total of 20MB of RAM on it, and it was like a whole another
> world....granted, at times it ran as slow as hell, but at least it
> WORKED.

Win95 is based on Win311. Hell, Win311 can natively run Win95 apps. There
can't be that much difference if there's *forward* compatibility.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Something Seemingly Simple.
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:13:10 +0000

>> For standard C, you need both a conformant C library and a conformant C
>> compiler.
>   ^^^^^^^^
>
> Or interpreter. Or whatever.

Yep, true...

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:15:43 +0000

>>> Wrong.  That's a definition of the STANDARD LIBRARY.
>>>
>>> Standard C does not define *ANY* functions.
>>
>>The compiler does not define any functions, they are all part of the
>>libraries. However in the ISO definition of the C language, the
>>libraries are part of the language.
>
> And because the library is part of the language the compiler can
> effectively generate inline code for certain library function calls. gcc
> actually does this.

GCC (and most other compilers) allow inline definitions (they're not in
the standard IIRC), so surely it could inline any library function? There
are certainly times when you don't want to link to the standard library
(for instance building a kernel/embedded app).

-ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:22:11 +0000

> The following is a strictly conformant complete translation unit:
>
>         void f(void) {
>                 int printf(const char *, ...); printf("hello world\n");
>         }
>
> A conforming C compiler is within its rights to scan the format
> argument, see that there is no "%", see that it ends in a newline, and
> compile this to a call to puts(), or -- on a Unix-like system
> -- a call to write(), or whatever.

GCC will scan the string and check for errors such as too few arguments
or mismatched arguments if you set one of the warning oprions (it escapes
me at the moment).

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:27:37 +0000

> No, it's not Agent Orange...it's dioxin, a chemical used in other
> products made at the same plant...which contaminated the military's
> orders of Agent Orange.
>
> Without the dioxin contamination, Agent Orange is just as safe as Agent
> White, Agent Purple, and all the other defoliants in use at that time.

That is *not* correct. In the concentrations used Agent Orange contains
enough mutagens do to damage.

-ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT]*10^9 .sig
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:29:53 +0000

>>Just out of intrest, what do tracer bullits have to do with weed killer?
>>
>>I really can't figure that out.
>
> IIRC agent orange has some unpleasant side-effects on fetal development,
> including limbs appearing in the wrong place (or not at all).

But what has that got to do with tracer bullets? I really don't get it.

-ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:30:17 +0000

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:47:10 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Peter Hayes wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:34:59 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > You must remember...we BROUGHT our own docks.
> > >
> > > I believe the code-word for them was "rhubarbs".
> >
> > "Mulberry"?
>

> DING! DING! DING!
>
> We *HAVE* a *WINNER*!

Good. Do I win a prize?

I choose that you trim your sig...

Peter

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:32:11 +0000
From: Richard Heathfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Joona I Palaste wrote:
> >
> > And as much as you hate it, Aaron, I have the full right not to care
> > diddly-squat about your Constitution.
>
> Doesn't bother me in the slightest, as long as you do nothing to
> infringe my Constitutional rights.

Out of sheer curiosity, what will you do if he does? Invade Finland?

--
Richard Heathfield

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: State of linux distros
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:45:00 +0000

Reefer wrote:

> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Spot the stupidity.
>
> That would be u, using  a early 70:s OS like Linsux....
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Have you ever considered finding out what Linux IS!
--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:47:22 +0000

Reefer wrote:

> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Not even....plus it STILL has all of that baggage from DOS.
>
> 'Ya talking about Win9X/ME?
>
> NT/2k has no DOS "baggage"...and that is the OS that Linux should be
> compared with...

There are more contrasts than comparisons.  Linux is fundamentally more
able.

From: Johannes Bauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Time for a Windows reinstall!
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:41:46 +0100

Buwahahahahahahahahahaha!

I do so not feel sorry for you, tough guy.

Windows is dipshit, you knew that when you started to use it. Don't
complain now about it being crappy. Just get a faster computer (I
think a 1.4GHz might do for Win3.11) with 1024MB of RAM (that might be
sufficient to cover all the neat little icons and stuff) and a
serveral-TB-harddisk for all the nice little swapfiles and tempfiles
and crap.

Then try again.

        Joe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:49:05 +0000

Reefer wrote:

> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > You should quit smoking your nickname...
>
> If u cant say anything that makes any sense ...dont say it!

You're an idiot.  Kulkis made perfect sense (though I don't necessarily
endorse the sentiment)

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:45:09 +0000
From: Richard Heathfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig (was: Something Seemingly Simple.)

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Richard Heathfield wrote:
> >
> > Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> > >
> > > Are you trying to imply that defending your country is somehow
> > > an ignoble thing to do?
> >
> > No, he's trying to imply that being a complete bozo is an ignoble thing
> > to do. Learn to read for comprehension.
>
> Complete bozos are not given security clearances nor allowed to even
> seeh, let alone use military code books.

I think we just found ourselves a counter-example.

--
Richard Heathfield

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:01:30 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Clamchu
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:04:04 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Watch closely:
>
>Kulkis is a shit-head.

Uh huh.

And this advances the cause of Linux precisely how?

I still want someone to count the number of fleas on Planet Earth
and then prove that that count is less substantive than arguing
about a participant's signature's length in c.o.l.a.

(I'd do my part, but I don't have fleas or a pet. :-) )

>There.  A. Kulkis' .sig will now grow in size to at least 3 more lines.

Heh.  Well good luck; judging from his .sig, it takes truly inspired
idiocy to be enshrined therein.  :-)  Mere run of the mill moronity
doesn't make the cut.

[.sigsnip]

                    Linux.  The choice of a GNU generation.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: I wonder how long i can make Kulkis (read fuckwit) sig
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:02:37 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:48:05 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>moooo wrote:
>>
>> Well the fuckwit is already upto L maybe he will add another entry for
>> me soon now ive changed my name
>
>That trick never works.

This time for sure!  Presto!   *ROOOOOOOAR*!

No doubt about it...I've gotta get me another hat.

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- Spot the TV show
                    Use the source, Luke.

------------------------------

From: Armando Ortiz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:03:03 GMT

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> "J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > also spelt linux wrong....
> >
> > its LINsUX.
>
> Damn this stupid Outlook keeps putting my cursor at the top for
> replies....
>
> Okay now....
>
> I agree about the LINSUX here... because Linux is starting to suck some
> of the juice out of Windows.
>
> Chris

Thank God someone has the sense enough to put things into their proper
perspective...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Judge Harry Edwards comments....
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:04:25 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Flacco
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:49:18 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> The Judge probably enjoys his Microsoft Flight Simulator
>> (yet another Microsoft purchase) too much.
>
>Stricken from the record was an embarrassing interlude between the judge
>and a paper clip on the bench, which he stroked lovingly, and talked to in
>baby-talk, addressing it as "Clippy".

Why is my brain flooding me with the theme song of a certain
(50's?  60's?  70's?) TV show about a boy and his dolphin,
with suitable modifications to the lyrics?  :-)

                    Use the source, Luke.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:12:09 GMT

On 27 Feb 2001 17:57:26 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If their profits are 50% though, they certainly don't do 1x the work
> for 2x the sales, right?

I don't see how that follows.  You'd have to break out what they are
spending their money on.  Maybe (to be extreme) they are spending it all
on buying new customers for MSN.

> BTW, I don't find 50% margins that excessive for a wildly succesful
> software company.

If software is a mature business, the sale price should tend toward the
cost of production.  That's what happens in other businesses.

BTW, "software" is not one business.  Operating systems surely have
different economics from entertainment software.  I would expect
operating systems pricing to look more like a commodity than, say,
games.

> I wonder what id software's profits are as a percentage of their
> revenue -- which raises another question -- why aren't id software's
> games cheaper?

I don't buy games and so don't know what they cost.  However, I would
expect that they follow economics similar to music CD's and videos.
They sell for a short period and then fade, in contrast to something
like Windows that sells year after year.  Therefore, game makers need to
continually come up with new games, as opposed to incremental
improvements to old games.  This raises their development cost relative
to the user base.  Plus they have more downside risk (the game might not
sell), so probably go for higher margins.

> Why don't these unwritten rules about pricing also apply to id ?

I thought we were discussing economics, not "unwritten rules".  The
original poster was arguing that MS pricing does not follow the normal
trends because they have a monopoly.  I happen to belive that MS _is_
charging somewhat more than they would be charging if they had effective
direct competitition in their core markets.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: 27 Feb 2001 19:15:58 GMT

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:05:34 -0800, Keldon Warlord 2000 wrote:

>...right...a gift. like somebody took a shit and wrapped it up and handed it
>to you for your birthday...

A lot of people get real work done with that "shit". The fact that you don't
like it doesn't alter the fact that millions of people find it useful.

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: Armando Ortiz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:02:14 GMT

Giuliano Colla wrote:

> J wrote:
> >
> > also spelt linux wrong....
> >
> > its LINsUX.
> >
> No, you're wrong. That's not correct english spelling. It's only the
> spelling in a Redmond (WA) dialect, nobody else understands, nor uses
> willingly.

I believe it's called "UnAmerican" in Redmond...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:24:23 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:30:20 -0600
<UWFm6.471$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>> >
>> > Not at all.  MS understood that you make money on the server.  The
>client is
>> > free.  They have always done this with all their client/server products.
>>
>> You meant to say that Windows NT Workstation and Windows 2000 Pro are
>> free????  Cool!
>
>Good point, however I was not referring to OS's.  I was referring to
>applications.  And before you jump on the fact that i'm admitting IE is an
>application and not part of the OS, IE was in fact an application until IE3.

Correct; IE is now part of the OS proper [*], and even has an API which
can be used by other programs.  VC++, for example, has an ATL
object that can browse webpages -- three guesses where that code
came from. :-)  (I do not know the details as to how to get it to work,
however; my employer does not currently require such knowledge to
develop NT programs.)

IE4 seriously modified my W96 desktop (and system DLLs), but not to the
point of unusability.  However, it was very noticeable.

[*] according to Microsoft, anyway.  One can quibble as to what layer
    of the metaphorical OS onion one is referring to, here; on Linux,
    is /lib/libc.so part of the OS or not?  Ditto for a number
    of Microsoft DLLs in their distribution; is MFCVxx.DLL
    or COMMDLG.DLL really essential for NT kernel operation, for example?

                    Are you still here?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: 27 Feb 2001 19:24:25 GMT

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:32:11 +0000, Richard Heathfield wrote:
>Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>>
>> Joona I Palaste wrote:
>> >
>> > And as much as you hate it, Aaron, I have the full right not to care
>> > diddly-squat about your Constitution.
>>
>> Doesn't bother me in the slightest, as long as you do nothing to
>> infringe my Constitutional rights.

Worse -- he'll add him to the signature.

W:      Joona infringed on my constitutional rights. Booo hoooo

(does that not strike terror into your heart ?)

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:45:33 -0600

> Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 26 Feb 2001
> 05:24:58 -0600;
> >"Ed Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >>     I am beginning to think that that is Erik's favorite game.
> >>
> >>     He tries hard to misinterpret the meaning of what you post and get
> >>     you to respond without detecting his twisted interpretation.
> >>
> >>     I have not figured out how many posts must come between for him to
> >>     "win" yet but I will.
> >
> >I'm not being pedantic.  The entire argument is based on a false premise.
>
> You're being a lot more than pedantic when you say stupid things like
> that, Erik.  Just because you found a miscellaneous factoid to pick on
> does not mean the entire argument is based on either that factoid, or
> any "false premise", though you universally and unilaterally seem to
> declare this is the case.

Look, Max.  The argument says "Since Windows is the *ONLY* component that
has not come drastically down in price in recent years, Windows must be a
monopoly in order to not follow the market demands".  This statement is
proveably false, and I pointed out that roughly half of the average computer
has stayed roughly the same price for at least 6 years.

The argument is faulty.  I'm not saying anything about the conclusions (in
this particular argument), as they are irrelevant.  The conclusions could be
true or false, it doesn't matter for the purpose of this argument.

> >If some components have not reduced in price, then the argument that the
OS
> >is the only component to not reduce, thus it must be a monopoly is
invalid.

> No, that's untrue, Erik.

How can sit there and say that an argument based on false data is still a
valid argument?

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:50:11 -0600

"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 27 Feb 2001 05:27:50 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> Because unit volume is much higher now than it was in 1995 and software
> >> development costs are independent of volume.
> >
> > How much higher ?
>
> I don't know the exact figures.  But PC makers and MS have been
> reporting annual increases of 20% or more for ten years now.

Umm.. that would mean the price has risen over 200% in the last 10 years.  I
know that in 1983, Dos and Windows together costed about $50 to the major
OEM i worked for (Zeos, Since the company no longer exists, I don't feel i'm
giving away any inside information).  That would mean OEM's now pay $100 per
copy, and we know that to be false.

------------------------------

From: Armando Ortiz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rh 6.2 and wu-ftp 2.6.0-14
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:51:39 GMT

Chad wrote:

> I have rh 6.2 and recently installed package wu-ftpd-2.6.0-14.6x.  My
> security team says, "Version 2.6.0 still contains security exposures".  They
> are suggesting to install wu 2.6.1, but I would rather just stick with the
> rh rpms.  Can someone shed some light on this?
>
> Thanks.

I use ProFTPd, myself.  I shyed away from wu a long time ago because of it's
difficulty in configuration.