From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I will now perform a neat trick
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:29:21 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Clamchu
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:04:04 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Watch closely:
> >
> >Kulkis is a shit-head.
>
> Uh huh.
>
> And this advances the cause of Linux precisely how?
>
> I still want someone to count the number of fleas on Planet Earth
> and then prove that that count is less substantive than arguing
> about a participant's signature's length in c.o.l.a.
>
> (I'd do my part, but I don't have fleas or a pet. :-) )
>

> >There.  A. Kulkis' .sig will now grow in size to at least 3 more lines.
>
> Heh.  Well good luck; judging from his .sig, it takes truly inspired
> idiocy to be enshrined therein.  :-)  Mere run of the mill moronity
> doesn't make the cut.

True.

Chad Meyers and Erik Funkenbusch STILL haven't made it in yet.

> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       22d:19h:25m actually running Linux.
>                     Linux.  The choice of a GNU generation.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:30:11 -0500

Armando Ortiz wrote:

> Giuliano Colla wrote:
>
> > J wrote:
> > >
> > > also spelt linux wrong....
> > >
> > > its LINsUX.
> > >
> > No, you're wrong. That's not correct english spelling. It's only the
> > spelling in a Redmond (WA) dialect, nobody else understands, nor uses
> > willingly.
>
> I believe it's called "UnAmerican" in Redmond...

Which, like all other things, has a completely non-standard definition
in Redmond, Washington.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Jacoby)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Something Seemingly Simple.
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:30:00 GMT

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 14:40:56 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Bloody Viking wrote:
> >
> > Edward Rosten ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >
> > : Those are perfectly normal errors: you have no cos function. You need to
> > : link against the maths library as well as #including the header.
> >
> > : gcc -lm ...
> >
> > The "0lm" trick sure did it. Just tested it on another virtual console.
> > Thanks! Fun easier quesation. Why isn't it in degrees as is the standard?
> >

> In short, radians are more often used in mathematics.  Radians do have
> some useful properties, particularly in keeping formulae simple (eg the
> area of a segment of a circle is rT, where r is the radius and T is the
> angle in radians subtended at the centre, if T is in degrees there is an
> ugly constant involved)

Another useful property, employed extensively in engineering
to simplify many equations, is that cos(a) ~= 1 and sin(a) ~= a,
when a is small (and in radians).

Jeff

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux--First Impressions from a semi-newbie
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:30:53 +0000

>  I'm not positive what "backported" means, but it's not 2.2 that's

Drivers for a new kernel proted to an older kernel.

> worked.  Now I don't have any pressing need to upgrade to 2.4 until I
> want to get my USB printer and camera working.  Until then, I have an
> old parallel color deskjet and a parallel Laserjet that both work just
> fine under 2.2

I believe you can get USB working under 2.2.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:26:57 +0000
From: Richard Heathfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Chris Torek wrote:

<snip>

> > GCC is allowed to expand strlen() inline precisely *because* strlen()
> > is part of the C language, on a hosted implementation.  If you attempt
>     ^
>
> "allowed to be"
>
> and  "allowed to be" != "required to be"

I have no great hopes of persuading Mr Kulkis to see sense, but in case
anyone thinks he has a point here, it should be pointed out - to those
who are not already aware - that Chris Torek is one of the writers of
the BSD C compiler library, and has a hugely impressive track record of
clueful, informative and (above all) correct posting to comp.lang.c.

Mr Kulkis, on the other hand, is primarily notable for his excessively
long sig block.

Newbies should take note accordingly.

--
Richard Heathfield

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Gardner)
Subject: Re: My long signature
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:28:49 GMT

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:46:40 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>>
>> Fuck you all
>> The signature will continue to grow at a rate of 1 user per day from now
>> on until you all get over it
>> This is your punishment for dissing me
>
>I didn't write that.  [check the headers]
>
>but it is pretty funny.
>

>> Aaron R. Kulkis

I did think the use of "dissing" was out of character for you....

Scott

------------------------------

From: Amphetamine Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NT vs *nix performance
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:31:56 -0800

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Amphetamine Bob
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:52:34 -0800
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >jjs wrote:
> >
> >> Jon Johanson wrote:
> >>
> > > Gee, and IBM has the money and has done TPC before and yet they
> >don't have a
> >
> >No, actually IBM has banned Windows 2000 for all internal use!  Yes,
> >it is true!
>
> Now that *is* a wild claim, albeit somewhat believable.  Is
> there a press release from IBM supporting this?  :-)s

Well I hang out in the OS/2 groups and there are a lot of folks in
there who have connections with IBM or who still work there and *no
one* has ever disputed this story since it came out.  Guess it was an
internal memo.  Don't think they would wanna put a press release out
about that.  There is an aspect of IBM that is still into sucking up
to MS big time (they have to).  It had something to do with security,
I believe (Win 2K is insecure).  It is banned worldwide, too.  And a
lot of IBM still uses OS/2 internally, despite what you may hear.
Last time I called them, I got transferred to 3 different people, and
they all had OS/2 sitting right in front of them.
--
Bob - shooting the bozo bit at 550 MHZ :).  Wheeeeee!  ;)
Microsoft "Tech Support".

------------------------------

From: "Goober" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Time for a Windows reinstall!
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:21:18 -0000

Why are you all so down on win2k?
An OS is a tool for running applications, nothing more, as long as it runs
the programs I want to use, I can forgive a few minor f**ups.

I would us the OS best suited for a task, use linux for critical server
tasks, and 2k for running the great apps that are available on it. With well
written software, 2k is very stable, and I use it for running nuendo, a
multi track audio app. Its probably the hardest a computer can work,
constant heavy disk access combined with heavy cpu load from the plugins. A
single millisecond pause by the computer can corrupt a recording, and I've
had no problems. So whats the problem with it?

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:34:35 +0000

>> > No, it's not Agent Orange...it's dioxin, a chemical used in other
>> > products made at the same plant...which contaminated the military's
>> > orders of Agent Orange.
>> >
>> > Without the dioxin contamination, Agent Orange is just as safe as
>> > Agent White, Agent Purple, and all the other defoliants in use at
>> > that time.
>>
>> That is *not* correct. In the concentrations used Agent Orange contains
>> enough mutagens do to damage.
>>

> And at merely 3x atmospheric concentration, oxygen is a poison which
> will kill you in less than an hour.

Your point?

Dioxins or not, they used enough Agent Orange to cause serious deformities
(Has any compensation ever been paid?)

I've removed clc from the thread.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Judge Harry Edwards comments....
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:35:11 -0500

David Steinberg wrote:

> From the article...
>
>   "You're going to replace one monopoly with another if you're
>    right," appeals court chief judge Harry Edwards told government
>    lawyers.
>
> Oh, lord.  And the fact that Judge Jackson expressed an opinon AFTER
> hearing the case was supposed to show bias?
>
> I'd also like to think that the Chief Judge of the Appeals Court would
> understand that it's not about *gaining* a monopoly position, it's about
> *abusing* that position.
>
> Next stop, The Supreme Court.

Absolutely.

Chief Justice Edwards is either a complete idiot, on the take, or
neglected to sell of his shares of Mafia$oft in time.

> --
> David Steinberg                             -o)
> Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC         / \
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                _\_v

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:37:38 +1300

> > If I have an OS that uses up, for example, 10% of my CPU time to do its
> > maintenance and scheduling and whatever, and then I upgrade to a  faster
> > machine and I get an OS that only uses 5% of my CPU time...  The  OS
> > hasn't CHANGED, it hasn't IMPROVED, but how in the hell has it lost  any
> > performance, and relative to what?
> >
> > If the OS's got SLOWER as the CPUs got FASTER we would have OS's that
> > remained at the same level of relative performance, as long as we're
> > talking about relative to the speed of the PC.
> >

> > Can you help me out with whatever I'm missing here?
> Yes,
>
> But if you upgrade your OS and your hardware and your OS still needs 10%
> CPU to do it's scheduling it has gotten slower right?

It has gotten slower, but with the 10% remaining the same, it is at the
same relative level.  I have never installed a current MS OS on current
hardware and found the whole shebang to be SLOWER than before, I just
never found it that much faster.

Obviously there are considerations besides CPU speed for this, but...
*shrug*

> BTW this was not meant as the start of another flamewar, it was just the
> way I understood Erik's original comment. I just wanted that clarified,
> and I now see what you both mean.

Sorry, was there flaming?  I didn't even notice to be honest... I had no
plans for flaming?

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: State of linux distros
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:37:35 +0000

> (Note that Win9x and WinME do preemptively
> multitask by and large, although there may be some issues regarding very
> old Win16-apps -- but then, SOL.EXE doesn't take much CPU. :-) )

32 bit apps like explorer, Office etc are quite capable of taking up all
the CPU (and a little bit more :-)

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:39:18 +1300

> I'm a little confused here. When exactly was Microsoft "almost giving away "
> the office products?
> And if you can provide the when, can you also provide the price? Since you
> have used 'you' as the gouge-e, I'm assuming that OEM's aren't in this set
> of those being gouged. A few years ago, by my use of 'few', would equate to
> the release of office 97. MS wasn't giving this product away by any stretch.
> I should know, I purchased it.  Office 2000, the current version, is
> comparably priced to the previous version. So, I have to ask, just what the
> hell are you all arguing about? When was ms giving their cash cow (office)
> away?

You probably need to think back a little further, to when they had
serious competition, and people weren't constantly being FORCED to
upgrade because of other dicks who had and couldn't figure out how to
save in the previous file format.

------------------------------

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:41:39 +1300

> > It has for linux users. <g>
>
> ...depending on which idiot is stupid enough to give it away for free.

What a juvenile comment.  Someone gives their hard work and effort to the
entire world to use in whatever way they see fit, and you call them an
idiot...  for what?  Not making money?  Generosity?

You're a sad excuse for a human being if money means that much to you, or
charity means so little.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Pop)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig (was: Something Seemingly Simple.)
Date: 27 Feb 2001 22:21:59 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Richard Heathfield
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>>
>> Richard Heathfield wrote:

>> > No, he's trying to imply that being a complete bozo is an ignoble thing
>> > to do. Learn to read for comprehension.
>>
>> Complete bozos are not given security clearances nor allowed to even
>> seeh, let alone use military code books.
>
>I think we just found ourselves a counter-example.

We had ample proof that the guy is a complete bozo, but none whatsoever
about his connection to the US military, so it's a quite weak
counter-example ;-)

Dan
--
Dan Pop
CERN, IT Division

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gerry)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:43:07 -0600

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Duh! I suppose it's because you want to force people to download that
> > sorry BS thousands of times over ?
>
> People are lazy.  If you want people to be aware of something,
> then it's necessary to put it in a place where they cannot
> avoid finding it.

When you say "people are" I think you should put "I am".
You are so lazy that instead of dealing with the problem in a mature
fashion, you just add another entry to your signature.

And also, be aware that these people in your signature don't like you
for a reason.
Your lack of seeing anybody elses point of view besides your own is
likely the cause of this.

(note how the content of my message is greater than my signature and my
quoting combined)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://homepage.mac.com/gbeggs/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.GerryICQ.com/

A: Aaron Kulkus is am immature child who is unwilling to so see
anybody's point of view but his own.

B: Aaron Kulkus brings flame wars upon himself.

C: Aaron Kulkus is a right-wing paranoid nut.

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gerry)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:43:08 -0600

Jim Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> MB is not a measurement of bandwidth, you need a reference to a time
> period also.

"They don't go very far back, nowaday"

I think that is a reference to a time period.

35MB of ANYTHING is a lot. But 35 MB of pointless signatures is someone
who is looking for confrontation.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:42:56 +0000

>>Don't forget that 'doze is slowly becoming a UNIX. ( or trying to). I't
>>now at the stage that UNIX was in in the 80's.
>
> I'm not sure I'd go quite that far, and there are a few differences. For
> example, Unix in the 1980's didn't have gorgeous slowly disappearing
> menus, lovely backdrops, and beautiful common file dialogs with
> horizontal scrolling..... :-)

Well, NT3 was meant to be a better UNIX than UNIX. There, they got
preemptive multitasking and memory management.

With NT4, they startd to improve the command line, eventually providing
kill.exe and runas.exe

Around the NT4 era we started seeing new graphical shells becoming
avaliable.

Now Win2K has symlinks (apparently), a telnet server (hey, I know telnet
is obsolete, but its a start) and a remote GUI. Aparently, using registry
hacks you can get sloppyfocus.

> Why any serious engineer -- such as myself -- would be even remotely
> interested in such gewgawgery is beyond me.  I'd be happy with a simple
> popup; in a pinch, I'd settle for a command line and a sheet or Web page
> of instructions, especially with modern CLI innovations such as
> command-name and file-name completion and listing.

Yep.

> Side point: the memory management in Windows *is* an improvement over
> 1980's-era Unices, as far as I know; at that point, they were only
> just starting to discover the joys of non-contiguous logical-to-
> physical page mapping (the PDP 11/xx series had some nasty limitations
> in said mapping; it only had 8 segmentation registers).

I'm not sure that is a fair comparison, bearing in mind the hardware
linitations around at the time. As soon as the hardware allowed it, UNIX
had it, whereas it took Windows a long time to get the most out of the
386.

> Mind you, that's not saying a whole lot; Linux started off with that
> capability back in '94 -- and I'm not sure Windows NT even existed back
> then.  (If it did, it hadn't been around that long.)

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox