From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gergo Barany)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig
Date: 1 Mar 2001 19:09:57 GMT

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Every major conflict has been because one side was ill-prepared for
> war...and took a major shellacking because of it.

World War I is a counterexample to this theory, I believe.

Gergo

--
How wonderful opera would be if there were no singers.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, was Why open source software is better
From: Pat McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 01 Mar 2001 11:15:02 -0800

> >>He seems to have a real chip on his shoulder about Linux. He goes out of
> >>his way to call Linux GNU/Linux (technically correct) and adds that the
> >>majority of code in Linux is GNU (again correct).
> >
> > Wrong. About 30% is GNU.

No, none of Linux is GNU.  More than that of "the GNU system with the
Linux kernel".  (At least that's the way it should be said in His presence.)

------------------------------

From: "dabean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.linux.sux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT vs *nix performance
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:14:26 -0000

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Cnet - Sun->NT
> > > http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-344896.html
> >
> > This (and it's related links) talk about MS having plans to convert, but
not
> > actually doing so.
>
> Of course.  If you'll recall, the claim was that MS tried and failed, so
> they couldn't have done so.  However:
>
> "The use of Apache at an MSN-branded site is reminiscent of Microsoft's
> efforts to convert its problematic Hotmail site from Sun servers to
> Windows NT servers. With 40 million Hotmail users, the changeover is a
> huge undertaking and still is expected to take another two years, a
> Microsoft spokesperson said."
>
> This implies that they HAVE TRIED (note the use of 'reminiscent' - a
> quick trip to dictionary.com should sort you out if you still don't
> understand), so it doesn't really just talk about their plans, now does
> it?
>

> > > ZDNet - BSD->NT
> > > http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2000/30/ns-17071.html
> >
> > This is the story about their only conversion in July of last year,
where
> > they converted to Win2k.
>
> So, the BSD->NT is the real conversion, while the CNet story of MS's
> plans of shifting from Sun machines to NT is made up?  I do hope you
> noticed that the articles talk about converting two different operating
> systems, both of which Hotmail apparently runs on.
>
> So, does it actually run on Solaris or BSD?  Or does it run on both?

Anyone that has ever built a large multiserver application will tell that
you don't just flick and switch and convert.
It can take years to design and test a solution of that size, also when
doing that kind work running *both* systems in parallel is exremely common
practice as it allows you to slowy scale out your new system.

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <js@plcom>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 14:22:28 -0500

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:97m59m$sa9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "JS PL" <js@plcom> wrote:
>
> > Say it aint so. You mean people can change their OS even if Windows is
> > pre-installed?? Doesn't that fly in the face of the (failed) "monopoly"
> > courtroom competition strategy that Microsoft's competition was banking
> > on?
>
> Absoloutely not! Whether they use windows or not they STILL have to pay
> for it. How could anything *but* a monopoly manage to enforce that?

And whether they use the other 1gb of apps that also get put into the master
disk of their OEM system they still pay for them. I don't see anyone whining
about being forced to pay for any other software the system comes with the
system. That's the biggest complaint I ever hear from people is, how do I
get rid of all this junk that came with my computer?? Half of it doesn't
even show up in appwiz.cpl to get removed. If and OEM disk of Win98 costs
$40.00 per unit but a basic set of apps ups the price of same disk to
$80.00, who's whining about the additional 40 bucks for encyclopedia ect...
Last time I heard Best Buy charged the same whether or not you took the
million apps home with the system.

Go on down to best buy, pick out a computer and ask what discount you get if
you use your own copy of Quicken Lite.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 14:24:45 -0500

Richard Heathfield wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >
> > Michael Powe wrote:
> > >

> <snip>
>
> > > While it's deeply shaming to have such as Mr. Kulkis performing his
> > > routine as the "ugly American" before an international audience, I
>
> There is no need (writes this Englishman) for clueful Americans to feel
> such shame. Idiocy is a truly international phenomenon. Mr Kulkis
> happens to be an American idiot, but there are also plenty of
> non-American idiots to go round.

You are mistaken

Understanding one's rights is not idiocy.

> > > would like to point out a couple things.  First, we have no true
> > > knowledge that Mr. Kulkis ever served in the Armed Forces of the
> >
> > Check the records.
>
> I just checked the only record that counts in comp.lang.c - the ISO C
> Standard - and Mr Kulkis doesn't seem to be mentioned there, so I can
> only conclude that he's mistaken about his name appearing in the
> records.

comp.lang.c keeps military service and mobilization records?

> <snip>
>
> --
> Richard Heathfield
> "Usenet is a strange place." - Dennis M Ritchie, 29 July 1999.
> C FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
> K&R Answers: http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/kandr2/index.html

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 14:31:47 -0500

Gergo Barany wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Every major conflict has been because one side was ill-prepared for
> > war...and took a major shellacking because of it.
>
> World War I is a counterexample to this theory, I believe.

Wrong.  The war STARTED when Tsar Nicholas of Russia foolishly sent
troops down to Yugoslavia to support the Serbs.

At this point, there was a GREAT imbalance in forces (Russian + Serb
forces far outnumbered Bosnian forces).

The level of preparedness of Austria, Germany, France, Italy,
Britain, US, etc. are of no consequence, because by the time they
got involved, the war was already started.

Because Russia got involved, Austria and Germany were sucked in
by treaties with the Ottoman Empire....who attacked Germany.
This brought France and England into the war against Germany
(again, due to treaty obligations)...etc., etc.,

The ever-expanding nature of the war was due to treaty obligations,
NOT because late-coming belligerants percieved some opportunity
to gain something by going to war.  At that point, they were
merely defending their honor as governments worthy of signing
treaties and sticking to them.

> Gergo
>
> --
> How wonderful opera would be if there were no singers.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Something Seemingly Simple.
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 14:33:41 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>>>>Can I, or can I not write my own printf() which behaves utterly and
> :>>>>completely differently than the printf() in the standard library?
> :>>>>
> :>>>>a) no B) YES.
> :>>>
> :>>> You cannot define your own printf name with external linkage.
> :>>
> :>>You can if you're not linking against the standard library.
> :>
> :> If you're not linking against the standard library you're not using a
> :> conforming implementation, in which case you're automatically off topic
> :> in c.l.c.
>
> : I was under the impression that to be conforming, the system had to
> : provide a standard library, but you could choose not to use if (for
> : example if you're in to building kernels).
>
> But can you name-clash with it?  Is that something that has to work?
> If you write a kernel version of printf, don't you still have to
> call it something different, like "kprintf", for example.

This ALL comes under the section called "implementation dependant",
and therefore, is not *really* defined, merely ***suggested***.

Suggested != proscribed (i.e. defined, absolutely, no if's, and's, or but's)

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 14:35:07 -0500

Dan Pop wrote:

> In <97k4lr$el5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Kaz Kylheku"
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> You cannot define your own printf name with external linkage.
> >
> >You can if you're not linking against the standard library.
>
> If you're not linking against the standard library you're not using
> a conforming implementation, in which case you're automatically off
> topic in c.l.c.

As I recall, it's "implementation dependant" which means that there
is no definitive "conformance" for C on this issue.

POSIX conformance calls for it, but not C conformance.

> Dan
> --
> Dan Pop
> CERN, IT Division
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Mail:  CERN - IT, Bat. 31 1-014, CH-1211 Geneve 23, Switzerland

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 14:36:22 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >>You can if you're not linking against the standard library.
> >
> > If you're not linking against the standard library you're not using a
> > conforming implementation, in which case you're automatically off topic
> > in c.l.c.
>
> I was under the impression that to be conforming, the system had to
> provide a standard library, but you could choose not to use if (for
> example if you're in to building kernels).

Precisely.

Otherwise, it makes printf into a de facto reserved word.

since printf is not a reserved word (de facto or otherwise), the
premise is violated, therefore the conclusion is, at best, not proven.

> -Ed
>
> --
>                                                      | u98ejr
>                                                      | @
>              Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox
>                                                      | .ac.uk

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "dabean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.linux.sux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:37:49 -0000

"Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Jon Johanson wrote:
> >
> > "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > It might not be exactly 10 years old.  It's pretty close.
> >
> > Not quite.
>
> Even if Hotmail were less than a year old...the fact remains that
> Mafia$oft has failed on TWO attempts to migrate it from Unix to
> their shoddy products.

aaron which product?

As last time I looked windows2000 server/advanced server DOES NOT have a
built in webmail server.

What you mean is that ms might have failed in migrating the hotmail front
end application from unix to windows 2000.
Even their possible failure is not useful as reason why ms products are bad
in general because until the hotmail code is avalaible as application that
microsoft sell you can't say any other products from ms are bad because of
it.

Remeber any programmer can write a bad windows app just like any programmer
can write a bad unix app.
Any programmer can badly port a app from one platform to another.

------------------------------

From: "Patrick McAllister" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: In response to Windows Owns Desktop, Extends Lead in Server Market
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 14:40:42 -0500

Just posted as an fyi.......

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4979275.html?tag=owv

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 19:50:42 GMT

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> Well, not everything is perfect on Linux. For instance yesterday, while
> >> I was testing the NIC of a new laptop, it continuously complaining
> >> about network being unreachable, instead of telling me plainly that the
> >> network cable I was using was unplugged at the other side. :-)
>
> > That's only because the your NIC manufacturer didn't include the Time
> > Domain Reflectometer option . :-)
>
> They did but It(tm) is Only(tm) Avaliable(tm) under Micros~1(R) Windows
> (tm).
>
> -Ed

Well, I've not yet wiped clean the Win(tm) 98(tm) the laptop
came with. Tomorrow I'll test in the same conditions with
Micros~2(R) Windows(tm) 98(tm), and I'll let you know. After
all, I had to pay for it, so I can use it.

--
Giuliano Colla

Before activating the tongue, make sure that the brain is
connected (anonymous)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 19:57:56 +0000
From: Richard Heathfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Richard Heathfield wrote:
> >
> > Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> > >
> > > Michael Powe wrote:
> > > >

> > <snip>

> > There is no need (writes this Englishman) for clueful Americans to feel
> > such shame. Idiocy is a truly international phenomenon. Mr Kulkis
> > happens to be an American idiot, but there are also plenty of
> > non-American idiots to go round.
>
> You are mistaken

You are claiming that Americans have a monopoly on idiocy?

> Understanding one's rights is not idiocy.

I didn't say it was. Read for comprehension.

> > > Check the records.
> >
> > I just checked the only record that counts in comp.lang.c - the ISO C
> > Standard - and Mr Kulkis doesn't seem to be mentioned there, so I can
> > only conclude that he's mistaken about his name appearing in the
> > records.
>
> comp.lang.c keeps military service and mobilization records?

Users are so cute.

No, of course comp.lang.c doesn't keep military service records. That
was precisely the point I was making.

--
Richard Heathfield
K&R Answers: http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/kandr2/index.html