From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 00:03:20 -0400

Rich Soyack wrote:

> "Ray Fischer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9e1ou3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > >Bzzzzzzzt! Wrong.
> > >There is no transport mechanism for any such infection to happen.
> >
> > Well, it seems that the United States Centers for Disease Control
> > believes otherwise.
> >
> > But what do they know?  The all-knowing homophobe Kulkis says
> > otherwise.
> >
> > http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/faq/faq21.htm
> >
> >     Can I get HIV from having vaginal sex?
> >
> >     Yes, it is possible to become infected with HIV through vaginal
> >     intercourse. In fact, it is the most common way the virus is
> >     transmitted in much of the world.  HIV can be found in the blood,
> >     semen, pre-seminal fluid, or vaginal fluid of a person infected
> >     with the virus. The lining of the vagina can tear and possibly
> >     allow HIV to enter the body.  Direct absorption of HIV through
> >     the mucous membranes that line the vagina also is a possibility.
> >
> >     The male may be at less risk for HIV transmission than the female
> >     through vaginal intercourse. However, HIV can enter the body of the
> >     male through his urethra (the opening at the tip of the penis) or
> >     through small cuts or open sores on the penis.
>
> What was left out of this statement was the fact the there would have to
> be vaginal lessions for the AIDS virsus to be effectively transmitted to the
> male in vaginal intercourse.

It also leaves out the fact that it's next to impossible to FORCE
significant amounts of female secretions into the male body.

if a male has abrasions on the penis...blood pressure forces OUT
contaminating substances.

> Rich Soyack

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rather humorous posting on news.com commentry forum:
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 16:08:35 +1200

Yeah, like some one, with a brain will listen to a septic tank.

Whilst I am on the subject, there is only a small percentage that don't want
to learn, while the rest don't want to learn things like gigabytes,
motherboards, intergrated circut boards, they simply want to learn so that
they can be more productive ----> and move onto something they would prefer
doing, such as playing the piano or reading. Flacco, you arrogance is
diffinately inline with the typical septic tank attitude. Maybe you should
go off an yank yourself, because I don't need to find satisfaction that way.

Matthew Gardiner

"Flacco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:ys_M6.12927$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...> > What is
keeping Linux off the desktop is ignorance and arrogance rolled

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 00:24:37 -0400

jet wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > chrisv wrote:

> disease????????

> > > Kookis, don't you tire of displaying your ignorance and bad logic to
> > > the world?
>
> Obviously not.
>

> > You guys STILL have yet to demonstrate that homosexuality is
> > anything OTHER than defective behavior.
>
> Defective in what way?

nonproductive

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux too slow to emulate Microsoft
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 14:50:25 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Roberto Alsina wrote:

> > >I'll tell you the OLDEST object oriented language
> > >
> > >/bin/sh
> > >

> > >Since it is meant to work within the context of the Unix filesystem
> > >and the Unix Filesystem is actually an object environment (data directed
> > >to any type of file (regular file, device file, named pipe, etc.)
> > >automagically "knows how to handle it"...then all shell scripts are,
> > >by definition, object-oriented code.
> >
> > Aaron, please limit yourself to bigotry and insults, since trying to
> > sound technical makes your messages involuntarily hilarious.
> >
> > Or perhaps you can show polymorphism,
>
> PERSONALITY='basename $0'
>
> > inheritance
>
> export  [environment variable]
>
> > and encapsulation
>
> echo data > named_pipe_thats_attached_to_a_process

That looks like "object orientated" to me.  I was programming object
orientated code all this time and I did not even know it. 8-)
I have seen old Cobol programmers produce object orientated like code.

--
Michael Vester
A credible Linux advocate

"The avalanche has started, it is
too late for the pebbles to vote"
Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Microsoft Admits To Backdoor In IIS [updated]
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 04:29:13 GMT

Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 16 May 2001
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Said Chronos Tachyon in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 16 May 2001

>in
>> >  [Snip]

>> >Oops, I must have missed that the first time around.
>>
>> I wouldn't believe it for a second of Funkenbusch's telling.  Got a
>> reference, Erik?  I promise not to bicker even if it is nothing more
>> than an Microsoft press release.  I'm done quibbling with trolls and
>> sock puppets; I'm just curious.
>
>Plenty.
>
>http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2550387,00.html
>
>http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5082925,00.html
>
>http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/stories/main/0,5594,2551858,00.html
>
>http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5933518.html
>
>http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO43878,00.html

Oh, bother.  I'll go for the cnet for 200, Erik.

While originally reported as a
    "back door"--a secret
    password that gives full
    access to another person's
    system--the "weenies" flaw is
    actually an inadvertent bug in
    a dynamic link library, or DLL,
    file known as "dvwssr.dll" that
    allows access to a Web site's
    active server pages.

Or, stated more honestly, and without the spin that MS is trying to put
on the reports pointing out that the backdoor is still "open for
anybody", the "weenies" 'bug' is a purposeful flaw in a Microsoft DLL,
that STILL allows access to a Web Site's 'active server' pages (i.e. all
pages accessible by a monopoly crapware server.)

'Nuf said.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 04:29:14 GMT

Said Quantum Leaper in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 17 May 2001
   [...]
>Amazon didn't turn a profit last year,  because [...]

...and at that point, you cease making any sense.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 04:29:15 GMT

Said Michael Marion in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 17 May 2001
>Quantum Leaper wrote:
>
>> Amazon didn't turn a profit last year,  because they expanded into Europe
>> and other places,  also expanding past their core businesses,  DVDs, Tapes,
>> CDs and Books hurt Amazon quite abit.  I know Amazon and others ship around
>> the world,   I have ordered from Amazon.uk in the past.   The problems is
>> DVDs and Video don't work world wide,  unless your DVD player is mod'ed or
>> Video tapes don't paly unless your TV can play NTSC and/or Pal,  CDs and
>> Books they will ship world wide.
>
>Just as a side note since you mentioned amazon and their business:
>I think their service has gone down the toilet big time over the last year.
>Just recently I ordered 3 books that were all listed as "Usually ships in 2-3
>days."  After a week (!) they finally sent a mail saying 2 books were hard to
>find and that they needed to know if I wanted to wait for them (I'd chosen to
>ship all 3 together).  I cancelled the order, went to barnsandnoble.com,
>ordered the same 3 books, and had them in 2 days.  Now _that's_ service!
   [...]

Can't live up to their promises.  Same problem as MS with their monopoly
crapware.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 04:29:17 GMT

Said Mart van de Wege in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 17 May 2001
10:28:07 +0200;
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Matthew Gardiner"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>> Why not?
>>> Small servers spend most of their time idle, why shouldn't they double
>>> as a workstation?
>>> You save costs this way, you know.
>>
>> If they are so idle, why not setup an X-Server on them, and run dumb
>> terminals off the server? at University, they had a Digital UNIX server
>> up with X-Server that allowed people to remotely access applications on
>> ther server using Win-X32.
>>
>> Matthew Gardiner
>>
>No even better: cluster them! This is what Progeny Debian is using as a
>selling point: you can have your computers working as workstations, and
>in periods where you need more computer horsepower, you can take their
>idle cycles into a cluster. Boom! instant computing power increase!
>Don't know how well this will work, but it sounds like a good idea,
>especially outside office hours, when you have all these workstations
>sitting idle anyway. Instead of turning them off, why not do something
>useful with them?

I just gotta say; we'd have been there at least twelve years ago; at
most eight years ago.  Without the monopoly to screw things up.

But everyone knows I'm an extremist, a fanatic, a flake.  So it would
have probably been common to consider 'computer power' on a networked
workstation entirely and directly derivative of the number of
workstations on the network, as described by Dr. Metcalfe in the early
80s, about four years ago, without the monopoly.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 04:29:18 GMT

Said Charlie Ebert in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 16 May 2001 23:07:29
GMT;
>In article <3b027a4c$0$82769$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jon Johansan wrote:
>>
>>"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>> What?  Are we saying that Microsoft doesn't use .dll's
>>> in IIS?  Are we saying they didn't give out instructions
>>> to delete a certain .dll to close an illegal backdoor
>>> they put in every IIS server in the universe?
>>
>>There is no illegal backdoor in IIS. And, see thirdly for something that
>>invalidates your entire thread.
>>

>>> Secondly, how do you not use something anymore when it's
>>> on the CD which install the fucking system Chad?
>>> Do you just have to remember to delete it every time
>>> your server craps out and you need to reinstall?
>>
>>See thirdly
>>

>>> Thirdly, why is Microsoft shipping an OS with an illegal
>>> .dll which allows illegal entry into your corporation
>>> in the first place?
>>
>>The DLL you refer to does not contain a backdoor, only a "poorly-worded"
>>string which does NOTHING to violate security in any way shape or form. AND
>>this DLL is NOT included with the OS. It's NOT on the OS CD, it's NOT part
>>of IIS. It's ONLY added to your server if you manually install the Front
>>Page 98 server extentions (not FP97, and not FP98a or anything newer).
>>

>>> Fourthly, since MS has given instructions to delete this
>>> .dll to close the security breach, what other function
>>> did it have to support IIS?  If you took a car engine
>>> and just arbitrarily threw away a piston it would
>>> hurt the cars performance and or usability?
>>
>>The DLL you refer to is not used to support IIS. It extends some minor
>>functionality of IIS - but has long since been obsolete and no longer used
>>which is why it means nothing to simply delete the file if the letters in
>>that "offensive" string, um, offend you. Cause being offended by those
>>letters is the worse they can do for you. Reminder; no backdoor according to
>>every security expert who's reviewed it including the guy that found the
>>string in the first place.
>>
>>Starting to get it (I'll wager not)?
>>

>You are totally incorrect on all accounts.
>
>MS's written recommendation IS to delete the .dll to close the illegal
>back door.
>
>Fuck!  MS can put it in print and you'd argue with it!
>
>Listen to MECA here, delete the .dll to close the illegal back door!

It's pretty amazing, how extreme this is getting.  Yes, there is a back
door.  Yes, it is removed by *deleting a dll*, the function of which
appears, thereby, entirely optional and pretty much just there, I guess,
to be a back door for Microsoft.  But, hey, the lack of any coherent
explanation other than "some engineers having some fun" *perfectly*
explains all of this.

Do I hear a 'guffaw', off in the distance somewhere?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 04:29:19 GMT

Said Seán Ó Donnchadha in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 16 May 2001
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Yeah. Linux "provides" this by lacking a standard API-accessible address
>> >book. And if someone your legs off, you should be thankful because now you
>> >have "tripping protection".
>>
>> Any text file is "a standard API-accessible address book".
>
>*Any* text file?

Yes; any text file.  Create a format; define an API; viola.

>> It is the
>> Linux apps which lack the access to this standard API-accessible address
>> book.
>
>So Linux apps lack "lack the access" to text files?

Yes, because it is the job of middleware, which doesn't exist due to
Microsoft illegal manipulation of markets, to provide such access.

>> You think you need a special library to access a text file for a
>> specific reason?
>
>You need a special library to access text files?

You need APIs to access address books, according to you.

>> What kind of crippled stupidity is this monopoly crapware?
>
>Linux is monopoly crapware?

Windows is monopoly crapware.  Repeat: Windows is monopoly crapware.

Wanna hear it again?

Windows is monopoly crapware.

Just to make sure you know; Windows is monopoly crapware.

'Nuf said.

>> Linux is a secure operating system.  Microsoft isn't.  'Nuf said.
>
>Microsoft is an operating system?

Metaphorically, yes, because Microsoft makes operating systems, and
Linux doesn't.  Get it?  Let's not pretend you're that clueless; it
spoils the fun.  I'll spank a troll, but I won't spank a retarded
person.

>Note to Daniel Johnson: Daniel, you were right. This Devlin jackass is much
>easier to deal with if you don't take him too seriously...

It's the only way you'll EVER be able to deal with me, believe me.  Get
serious, and you'll have to admit you're a troll and I'm spanking your
pathetic backside.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 04:29:20 GMT

Said A transfinite number of monkeys in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 17
>: > And when we discovered there was a new backdoor, we were again
asked to
>: > delete a particular .DLL program to eliminate the problem.
>:
>: Which no one uses anymore anyhow.
>
>If no one uses it, why did M$ keep distributing it???

Excellent post (too snipped.)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 04:29:21 GMT

Said Chad Myers in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 17 May 2001 02:14:18
GMT;

>"A transfinite number of monkeys" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Wed, 16 May 2001 02:00:52 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> : > Remember the I-LOVE-YOU virus?
>> :
>> : And I suppose that you have some type of miracle cure that prevents users
>> : from opening attachments with viruses?
>>
>> Well, yeah.  Re-associate anything that's normally associated with the
>> Windows Scripting Host with Notepad.  Nothing breaks, and even if the
>> stupid users open those attachments nothing happens.
>
>But what about the executables?
>
>> : > And when the IIS server was being attacked by worms, they recommended you
>> : > disable even more services to prevent the problem.
>> :
>> : As opposed to the Unix mentality which is "open more services!"?
>>
>> How about the Unix mentality, which is "secure your services"?
>
>Not from what I've seen. Typically, it's lock down everything but port 80
>on the firewall because nothing else can be trusted. not even DNS in most
>cases (BIND seems to always ship with the "Root Exploit" feature).
>
>> : > And when we discovered there was a new backdoor, we were again asked to
>> : > delete a particular .DLL program to eliminate the problem.
>> :
>> : Which no one uses anymore anyhow.
>>
>> If no one uses it, why did M$ keep distributing it???
>
>That's a good question. I've oft wondered that myself.
>
>-c

You're clueless.  'Nuf said.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 04:29:22 GMT

Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 16 May 2001
   [...]
>In any event, code reviews don't review every line of code,

Yes, they do, or they are not code reviews.

>they review
>critical parts of code,

And how, precisely, do we determine what parts of code are critical
without reviewing ALL the code, Erik?

>nd the particular code involved was

Was what, Erik?  A back door?

>something like
>5 years old.

That old, huh?  And never once was it critical for Microsoft to review
all of their code?  How much money did Microsoft make on their code, in
that time, Erik?