Linux-Advocacy Digest #702, Volume #32            Thu, 8 Mar 01 11:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: GPL Like patents. (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: C# ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Linux Joke ("Chad Myers")
  Re: What does IQ measure? (chrisv)
  Re: What does IQ measure? (chrisv)
  Harddisk for Linux ("Jerry Wong")
  Re: definition of "free" for N-millionth time (Jay Maynard)
  Re: Anyone else get this Konqueror error? (Ralph Miguel Hansen)
  Re: What does IQ measure? (Brock Hannibal)
  Re: What does IQ measure? (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: What does IQ measure? (Brock Hannibal)
  Re: It's here!  IBM's new Linux ad! (Brett Randall)
  Re: Windows API (Was Re: Mircosoft Tax) ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Harddisk for Linux (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: Sun Blade 100 (Henry_Barta)
  Re: Anyone else get this Konqueror error? (Craig Kelley)
  Re: Sometimes, when I run Windows... (Karel Jansens)
  Re: Windoze Domination/Damnation (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American ("Donal K.
Fellows")

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GPL Like patents.
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:58:45 -0300

Rob S. Wolfram wrote:

> Bottomline is, he who writes the code gets to choose the license, and if
> the author chooses the GPL, he wants his code to be used accordingly. He
> who does not agree is free not to use it just like you are unable to use
> the code of proprietary software.

You miss an important thing: the GPL advocates don't want people to know
the true meanings of the GPL upfront. If they did, they would include
clarifications (for instance, that static and dynamic linking are tainting)
as addendums to the lengthy section 0.

They don't.

You only learn those things when you dig in mailing lists, and position
papers, and such.

The author gets to choose the license? Sure. He should also know what he is
choosing. I know I regret licensing a lot of things under the GPL because I
believed the propaganda.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C#
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:50:56 +0000

>> I've looked into ms's C#... looks like the spitting image of java to
>> me! Looks like trouble on the horizon.  I wonder if Sun will sue them
>> again??
>
> Actually, it's not.  There are a lot of differneces.  The first being
> that it's not interpreted.

That has nothing to do with the language, its an implementation detail.
JAVA could be interpreted, compiled in to byte code, fully compiles or
just-in-time compiled.

-Ed

--
                                                     | Edward Rosten
                                                     | u98ejr@
             This argument is a beta version.        | ecs.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:52:15 +0000

>> > You goofed up by not reading the manual, which would instantly give
>> > you the answer to the problem and how to fix it. Yes, it is also a
>> > Mandrake
>> > "oopsie" for setting the wrong default. But you _did_ goof up.
>>
>> No I did not. It is not my fault that an application picked the wrong
>> default. Please don't lay this one at my door.
>
> Postscript is the right default.   Why do you think anything else should
> be the default?

Save yourself. He has no understanding of the system and absoloutely will
not learn.

-Ed

--

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux Joke
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:50:03 GMT

"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 08 Mar 2001 05:09:04 GMT, Chad Myers wrote:
>
> >> Put up or shut up. The box is smith203-1.rutgers.edu.
> >
> >I never said that I was a hacker or possessed the skills. However,
> >it doesn't seem like it's that difficult seeing as how there were
> >fields of Linux boxes compromised within a short period of time
> >for these attacks.
>
> Like I said, it boils down to incompetent admins.

Like I've said too. We're on the same page.

> >I could set up a Windows box that you wouldn't be able to hack
> >either, but it wouldn't prove anything.
>
> But it would if I claimed that a particular Windows service was
> insecure, and you were running that service.
>
> >The fact of the matter is, unless you actively pursue updates
> >and patches and keep up on your security, your OS is a sitting
> >duck.
>
> Depends on what services you're running. With ssh, you're actually
> pretty safe from outside attacks. IIRC ssh1 has  some potential
> issues if someone malicious is on the same network. The exploit in
> question is very difficult.
>
> The reason I put the challenge to you is because I'm pretty confident
> that you can't simply get root remotely on ssh (or even get in)

I don't think I've ever complained about root-exploits with SSH.
What are you talking about?

-Chad

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What does IQ measure?
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:10:34 GMT

"Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I guess I'm one of those anomolies.  I have a disability call Asperger's
>syndrome.  I got tested three times in school between the fifth grade and
>graduation because of my learning problems.  My Stanford-Binet varied
>between 148 and 166, but according to my SAT scores I couldn't even
>spell my name right.  Go figure.
>
>Actually, it's sort of a neat disability.  A lot of Asperger's sufferers are
>inclined toward the computer industry.

And Star Trek televisision shows.

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:15:23 GMT

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> The kind of person that works slowly but precisely and creatively scores
>> poorly in IQ tests.
>
>....and is probably dumb as a box of rocks.

Well, no reasonable person can deny that their are different talents
related to your brain that are not measured by IQ tests.  In my own
case, I do plenty well on IQ tests, but, if asked to draw something
artistically, I do very poorly.  Am I "smarter" than a person with
more artistic talent but less mathematical talent than me?

------------------------------

From: "Jerry Wong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.windows.x.kde,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Harddisk for Linux
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 22:43:19 +0800

=======_NextPart_000_0011_01C0A821.2C66DDE0

I want to buy a 30G Harddisk to install Linux (Red Hat 7.0). I heard =
that Lilo has problem for the harddisk over 1024 cylinder. Has this =
problem be overcome?

--=20
http://members.hknet.com/~wong63124
(In Chinese Big 5)

http://members.hknet.com/~wong63124/linux.htm
(In English)

=======_NextPart_000_0011_01C0A821.2C66DDE0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dbig5">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#c0c0c0>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I want to buy a 30G Harddisk to install Linux (Red =
Hat 7.0). I=20
heard that Lilo has problem for the harddisk over 1024 cylinder. Has =
this=20
problem be overcome?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><BR><FONT size=3D2>-- <BR></FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://members.hknet.com/~wong63124"><FONT=20
size=3D2>http://members.hknet.com/~wong63124</FONT></A><BR><FONT =
size=3D2>(In=20
Chinese Big 5)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A href=3D"http://members.hknet.com/~wong63124/linux.htm"><FONT=20
size=3D2>http://members.hknet.com/~wong63124/linux.htm</FONT></A><BR><FON=
T=20
size=3D2>(In English)</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jay Maynard)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: definition of "free" for N-millionth time
Date: 8 Mar 2001 14:51:39 GMT

On 7 Mar 2001 23:56:51 GMT, Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Here's a free clue: Freedom is optimized when *some* reasonable
>limits exist.

I think that, in a careful analysis of those limits, they all boil down to
one principle: "Do not harm another without his consent." The GPV goes well
beyond the requirements that principle places.

>The key debatable point here is whether or not the GPL's rules are of
>the type that lead to greater freedom.  I don't think they are,
>but I also dislike this line of argument that claims the only
>way for a license to be free is for it to have absolutely no rules
>attached at all.

The only rules that need to be attached are those that prevent people from
taking code released freely and making it no longer available at all to
anyone under the terms it was originally released. Fortunately, it is not
necessary to write such rules into the license; they are inherent in the
body of law that licenses are a part of. BSD-licensed code can NEVER be made
non-free, even though the BSDL contains no explicit provisions to guarantee
that. Thus, the GPV is restrictive beyond that necessary to guarantee
freedom, and thus it is not free.

------------------------------

From: Ralph Miguel Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone else get this Konqueror error?
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:56:35 +0100

Salvador Peralta wrote:

> From the location bar in Konqueror v 1.98, bundled with Mandrake 7.2,
> type http://www.ibm.com<enter>.  On my system, this yields a
> server-side redirect to wireless.ibm.com which in turn produces the
> following error:
>
> This browser is unsupported.
>
>  The current supported browsers are:
>  UP.Browser (HDML)
>  Nokia (WML)
>  AvantGo (HTML)
>  HandWeb (HTML)
>  Palmscape (HTML
>
> I have used IBM.com for months with this browser with no problems.  No
> one in the kde mail group that I subscribe to gets the error on their
> versions.  Can anyone confirm the error on their machine?

Works o.k. with Konqueror 2.1 .

Cheers

Ralph Miguel Hansen
Using S.u.S.E. 5.3 and SuSE 7.0

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 07:01:27 -0800
From: Brock Hannibal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:

chrisv wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> The kind of person that works slowly but precisely and creatively scores
> >> poorly in IQ tests.
> >
> >....and is probably dumb as a box of rocks.
>
> Well, no reasonable person can deny that their are different talents
> related to your brain that are not measured by IQ tests.  In my own
> case, I do plenty well on IQ tests, but, if asked to draw something
> artistically, I do very poorly.  Am I "smarter" than a person with
> more artistic talent but less mathematical talent than me?

Well, if you redefine intelligence to include artistic talent you
have a point. Fortunately , artistic talent is called artistic
talent, not intelligence. Musical talent is not intelligence.
Athletic prowess is not intelligence. Emotional empathy is not
intelligence. Why do people try to equate things that are not the
same?

--
Brock

"Put a $20 gold piece on my watch chain so the boys'll know I died
standin' pat"

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 12:07:34 -0300

Brock Hannibal wrote:

> chrisv wrote:

>> >....and is probably dumb as a box of rocks.
>>
>> Well, no reasonable person can deny that their are different talents
>> related to your brain that are not measured by IQ tests.  In my own
>> case, I do plenty well on IQ tests, but, if asked to draw something
>> artistically, I do very poorly.  Am I "smarter" than a person with
>> more artistic talent but less mathematical talent than me?
>
> Well, if you redefine intelligence to include artistic talent you
> have a point. Fortunately , artistic talent is called artistic
> talent, not intelligence. Musical talent is not intelligence.
> Athletic prowess is not intelligence. Emotional empathy is not
> intelligence. Why do people try to equate things that are not the
> same?

The simplest way to prove IQ doesn't measure intelligence is this:

Study the ways IQ tests try to measure intelligence. Learn strategies to
answer IQ-test-style questions and exercices.

Then check if your IQ as measured by the tests grows.

If IQ measures intelligence, the IQ should not grow, since you are not more
intelligent for learning how to answer IQ-test-style questions.

If IQ doesn't measure intelligence but something else, the test scores
should raise.

This is a simple experiment that any psi school can organize (hopefully
with help from someone who knows anything about experiment design, usually
their e.d. sucks rocks). It has a very small cost.

This is a very ordinary way to determine if two variables are independent.
I refuse to believe I am so smart that this idea never occured to anyone.

Anyone knows if this experiment was performed?

Of course performing it would go against the interests of psi
professionals, so I doubt it was ever performed ;-)

--
Roberto Alsina

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 07:08:53 -0800
From: Brock Hannibal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:

Mike wrote:

> "Anonymous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> well
> > >
> > > The only thing that IQ tests measure is how good you are at IQ tests.
> > >
> > > They put no emphasis on precision over speed, for instance.
> > >
> > > The kind of person that works slowly but precisely and creatively scores
> > > poorly in IQ tests.
>
> Stephen Jay Gould wrote a book a few years ago called "The Mismeasure of
> Man," that looked at the history and practice of intelligence tests. It's
> hard to read his book and still conclude that intelligence tests are
> particularly useful. It's even harder to look at the history of the tests,
> and their attempts to distill intelligence down to a single number, and
> conclude that we should place much faith in them at all.

Why do you say that? IQ has been shown to have a very good
predictive value. For instance I can safely predict, in fact I would
bet a lot of money, that if someone's IQ( or g factor) is not above
120 on the Stanford-Binet test that they will be unable to
understand higher mathematics well enough to be, well, a successful
electronic design engineer, just to pick a profession at random.

> I was tested when I was in 4th grade. I don't remember much from the test,
> but the few things I do remember were puzzles, similar to what Mensa
> publishes. I kinda like puzzles, and I rarely miss a question in the Mensa
> tests. It's not because I'm so smart, though: it's because I've seen almost
> all the puzzles before, so I know the answer as soon as I see the question.
> If that's all there was to this intelligence business, I'd be another
> Einstein.

Well, puzzles are not all there is to this intelligence business.

> On the other hand, having a piece of paper that says I'm even smarter than
> Einstein only convinces the folks who believe that a two hour test can
> accurately indicate intelligence. It sure doesn't convince me.

Unfortunately you don't have a piece of paper that says you're
smarter than Einstein, so we cannot test this vague and ill-formed
hypothesis. I could write the paper for you, though.

--

Subject: Re: It's here!  IBM's new Linux ad!
From: Brett Randall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 15:19:53 GMT

On Wed, 07 Mar 2001,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Mar 2001 17:06:10 GMT, Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>Exactly why is IE so bad? I find it much nicer to use than NS, hell
>>even the Linux version of NS sucks (I love how it opens downloadable
>>binaries as web pages).
>>

> IE has security holes you can drive a barge through.  I'd rather just cut
> to the chase and take a sledgehammer to my computer than permit activeX
> to run on it.

It's true. Search the Bugtraq archives for "IE" and "Internet
Explorer". You will find that if you have the patience (and even if
you don't), you can break into virtually any Windows-based PC and
run whatever code you feel like. I see at least one patch come out
for IE each week. What home user is going to keep up with that?
--
"Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless."
"Loop, Endless: n., see Endless Loop."

- Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Windows API (Was Re: Mircosoft Tax)
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 15:24:36 +0000

>> least DOS used to come with QBasic (not the world's best development
>> tool, but good enough for making start-up menus and the like).  With
>> Win95 it
> was
>> an option hidden away on the CD, and with newer Windows it is missing
>> entirely.
>
> Hmmm....
>
> e:\>ver Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195] e:\>which qbasic
> C:\WINNT\system32\qbasic.exe e:\>
>
> It's still buried on the CD.

It's not winh > Win95.

> But, still, I'm not sure I'd ever have considered QBasic to be a
> development system.

No, but you can do a lot more with it than without it.

> On your other points, since Perl, Python, Tcl, Tk, and various other
> scripting languages are all readily available for Windows, it seems to
> me that by judging the system only by what is included with a
> distribution disk, you're just trying to exclude Windows. Sure, this is
> an advocacy group, but you'd serve the purpose better by making the case
> that Linux is superior because of something other than the distribution
> disk.

It depends what your judging. Out of the box, windows comes with much
less functionality, although it can be added. One common thing on this
group is the winvocates claiming Windows works much better out of the
box.

But there are many criteria to judge something by.

--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.windows.x.kde,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Harddisk for Linux
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 15:28:19 GMT

In article <9885jm$580$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jerry Wong wrote:

>I want to buy a 30G Harddisk to install Linux (Red Hat 7.0). I heard =
>that Lilo has problem for the harddisk over 1024 cylinder. Has this =
>problem be overcome?

Linux does _not_ have a problem with large disks.
Older versions of Lilo have the problem, which is easily resolved
by either (a) creating a separate boot partition within 1024 cylinders,
or (b) downloading and using the latest lilo.

--
Mark Bratcher
To reply direct, remove both underscores (_) from my email name

------------------------------

From: Henry_Barta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sun Blade 100
Date: 8 Mar 2001 15:34:37 GMT

Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> DOn't waste your time running crap on a Sparc, use Solaris for
> christsake! more stable, developed and hardware support for Solaris
> Sparc than Linux Sparc.

    Even better now that Sun has downloadable CD images on their
    site for Solaris. But before that, I installed Debian on a
    retired Ultra-1 that I picked up at work. It's been up for,
    uh... I don't know. Several months, I think. But I don't do
    much with it. Mostly it contributes a little bit to my SETI@home
    scores. ;) I've been meaning to try out Forte on it, since it
    has 512Mb of RAM and that that might actually be enough. ;)

    I suppose Solaris is more stable, but since I've seen neither
    crash, the distinction may not be important. You are right,
    however, that there is less S/W released for Sparc/Linux vs
    i386/Linux or Sparc/Solaris.

--
Hank Barta                            White Oak Software Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   Predictable Systems by Design.(tm)

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 08 Mar 2001 08:45:58 -0700

Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Salvador Peralta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >From the location bar in Konqueror v 1.98, bundled with Mandrake 7.2,
> >type http://www.ibm.com<enter>.  On my system, this yields a
> >server-side redirect to wireless.ibm.com which in turn produces the
> >following error:
> >
> >This browser is unsupported.
> >
> > The current supported browsers are:
> > UP.Browser (HDML)
> > Nokia (WML)
> > AvantGo (HTML)
> > HandWeb (HTML)
> > Palmscape (HTML
> >
> >I have used IBM.com for months with this browser with no problems.  No
> >one in the kde mail group that I subscribe to gets the error on their
> >versions.  Can anyone confirm the error on their machine?
>
> Confirmed with Konqueror .
>
> Routing my browsing through Junkbuster, configured to tell the world
> I'm running IE, causes ibm.com to render correctly.  The "user agent"
> setting on KDE 2.01 doesn't seem to work for this purpose.
>
> Email sent to IBM's web maintainers.

I'm using:

ii  konqueror      2.1.0-3        KDE's advanced File Manager, Web Browser and

and it works just fine.

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a PCI slot on your ATX videoboard.
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sometimes, when I run Windows...
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 16:48:18 +0100

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> says...
>
> > > What kind of commands are in the CLI?
> > >
> > Anything.
> > You can perform any drawing, selecting, editing, filing, printing,
> > whatevering command with two-letter command lines, followed by optional
> > parameters (line length, angle measure, colour, line size...).
>
> Can you give me an example?
>
>From memory (3D Concepts):
BO, followed by coordinates, draws a box
C2 (centerpoint, radius), a circle

EX extrudes a selected shape
XY, YZ, ZX select single planes

ZS gives a shaded view
LO toggles the light sources

BP sets a new basepoint (the 0,0,0 coordinate)

I'd have loved to give some Home examles as well, but it's on loan at
the moment and I have no copy residing on my PC (as it should be, so as
not to violate the license).

All the commands can be executed by meny selection or toolicons as well,
but when working on a particularly complicated object, it quickly
becomes very tedious to have to shuffle the mouse around all the time,
only to change a line by a couple of points.

> > > I don't doubt you, I just find it hard to believe.
> > >
> > > How would you change one pixel from say red to black with the CLI?
> > >
> > [repeating myself, but...] Autodesk makes vector-oriented graphics
> > programs, aimed at technical users. In theory I could draw a box that
> > was one pixel in size and change its properties, but that's not how
> > vector-oriented programs work.
>
> OK vector graphics I might accept, but... (and a package called Xara X
> comes to mind which is a vector package but entirely GUI based).

So is Corel Draw. And for simple, greeting card-style drawings, I really
don't object to the occasional mouseing around. It is different when
working on technically-orientated drawings.

> > For a pixel-oriented program it would probably be tricky to do
> > command-line stuff up to pixel level, although there is PovRay, which
> > creates bitmaps, and is a command-line raytracer.
>
> ... thank you, editing pixels with a CLI is down right difficult.

Single pixels, yes. But others have already stated that for group
editing, no GUI can ever hope to beat a good CLI interface.

> You talk to me about POVray?!? It's a raytracer, not an pixel editor!
> It has a scene language which a lot of talented people can make amazing
> pictures with. However, I quickly found it a lot easier to use a 3D GUI
> package to front end it (I wrote one!).

Since POVray works with what are basically ASCII tect files, GUI
frontends for it are not exactly scarse. And a CLI front would not be
hard to do either.

But the final output of POVray are bitmapped graphics, right? Ergo, it
can be debated that POVray is a pixel editor. But I'm not going to be
fanatical about it; for detailed work on pixel-based graphics files,
some sort of visual feedback will always be highly appreciated.

--
Regards,

Karel Jansens
"You're the weakest link. Goodb-No, wait! Stop! Noaaarrghh!!!"

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windoze Domination/Damnation
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:13:17 -0000

In article <986g59$t6k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > Certainly. What do I get in return?
>
> Absoloutely nothing of any use whatsoever.

But that's not what you get if you buy Windows!

> How about a rusty old bike wheel?

Again, that's not even remotely equivalent to Windows!

> Now let me guess. You're not willing to pay me £30 for something utterly
> useless are you. Bearing this thought in mind, reread the thread.

I repeat: Windows is not utterly useless.

--
---
Pete Goodwin

------------------------------

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 15:57:47 +0000

Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> The solution is to identify and breed bacteria which produce a lot
> of oil as a waste product.
>
> notice that if you leave some water in a bowl by the sink...after a
> couple of days, it will have an oil slick.  This is from bacteria.

The only reason we're not doing this right now is that it is currently
cheaper to pump oil out of the ground.  And most of the oil that is
down there is currently not economical to extract.  Push the price up
though, and there's an enormous amount to be had.  Wait a few years,
and tech advances will bring the cost of extraction down.  *shrugs*
So long as people are willing to pay the price, there's as much liquid
hydrocarbon available as we could ever want.  I'm utterly serious on
the "so long as people are willing to pay the price" bit though.

Crises breed opportunity.  :^)

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- There are worse futures that burning in hell. Imagine aeons filled with