Linux-Advocacy Digest #792, Volume #32           Tue, 13 Mar 01 19:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: Customising Wrap-Up Screen. (WAS: "It is now safe to shut off your    computer")
(Craig Kelley)
  Re: Killfile Kookis already! (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lars_Tr=E4ger?=)
  Re: Customising Wrap-Up Screen. (WAS: "It is now safe to shut off your computer") (.)
  Re: Dividing OS to groups. (.)
  Re: Computing Power to Peak SOON! (WAS: Moore's Law, continued...) (Peter Hayes)
  Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, was Why open source software is better (Matthias
Warkus)
  Re: Linux Joke ("Mart van de Wege")
  Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls. ("Scot Mc Pherson")
  Re: Why can't Apple do it? (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lars_Tr=E4ger?=)
  Re: What does IQ measure? (.)
  Re: Dividing OS to groups. (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls. (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Customising Wrap-Up Screen. (WAS: "It is now safe to shut off your   (Matthew
Gardiner)
  Re: Linux Joke (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Linux Joke (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Linux Joke (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Middle Aged Fat Asses (Donn Miller)
  Re: No problem with multiple GUI's (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: What does IQ measure? (FM)
  Re: C# (FM)
  Re: What does IQ measure? (Brock Hannibal)
  Re: Killfile Kookis already! (Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?=)

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Customising Wrap-Up Screen. (WAS: "It is now safe to shut off your
computer")
Date: 13 Mar 2001 14:11:57 -0700

Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Somebody coded up a screensaver that has a number of computer crashes,
> > among them the BSOD (both variants), Mac crash, PPC crash (I think),
> > Amiga GURU meditation, and a SCO Unix or Xenix panic.
>

> Find it in /usr/X11/lib/xscreensaver
>
> I think there's a ncc1701.dll somewhere in the NT BSOD.

And the exception takes place at the hex address F0AD

:)

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lars_Tr=E4ger?=)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Killfile Kookis already!
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:10:55 +0100

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Lars Träger wrote:
> >
> > There are several Binary groups that (together) have less bandwidth than
> > Kookis posts. They may be mostly empty, but still hold more information
> > than all of Kookis elamorations combined.
> >

> That's something a jealous loser would write.

So why didn't you?

Lars T.

------------------------------

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:35:54 +1300

[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> > Yep, you can (put BootGUI=0 in MSDOS.SYS), but the original
> > query/misunderstanding/whatever was whether the mode co80 trick worked on
> > anything other than Win95.
>
> Doesn't seem to work on the OSR2 version of win95 either.

Wouldn't want to contradict you, but I used OSR2, and it did work for me.
Try the BootGUI=0, and put
win
mode co80
at the right place in your autoexec.bat, because that was definitely how
I had it set up.  It's possible the original 'type mode co80' trick
stopped working in OSR2...

------------------------------

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Dividing OS to groups.
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:38:56 +1300

> Tramail Operating System, from the Tramail brothers, principally Jack.
> Jack Tramail was the push behind Commodore who went to Atari.

Interesting...  is there some documentation on this Tramail thing
somewhere?  Every book I ever read on the ST said TOS stood for 'The
Operating System'!

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Computing Power to Peak SOON! (WAS: Moore's Law, continued...)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:38:03 +0000

On 13 Mar 2001 20:41:05 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry R) wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >In alt.destroy.microsoft, Bloody Viking
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote
> >on 10 Mar 2001 20:38:21 GMT
> ><98e3bt$nmg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >>

> ...snip...
>
> >(Side note: IIRC, Crays used liquid helium at one point.  Or maybe that
> >was another supercomputer.....?)
> >
> >[.sigsnip]
> >

> In Cray's a few years ago the units were immersed in Flourinert, an inert
> flourocarbon liquid.  It's the stuff that was used in the movie "The Abyss"
> where a rat was immersed in the stuff. It has properties that allow it to
> dissolve enough oxygen to support life.  It is being tested as a method of
> treating lung infections in pneumonia patients.  Oxygen and antibiotics are
> added to the liquid where it can be breathed, delivering oxugen and
> antibiotic directly to the lung tissues.
>
> It is also electrically inert and won't harm electronics.  There is a
> reference to it here:
>
> http://www.chipcenter.com/columns/fgreenhalgh/col061.html?PRINT=true

Aren't fluorocarbons carcinogenic?

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, was Why open source software is better
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:41:02 +0000

It was the Thu, 01 Mar 2001 20:35:41 +1100...
...and Craven Moorehead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Finally to nail him down to being a communist, this comment at the end
> "Whenever there is a conflict between human rights and property
> rights, human rights must prevail."

So the definition of a non-communist is someone who thinks that
property rights must always considered more important than human
rights? I.e. someone who'd break any rule and walk over other people's
dead bodies just to get or stay rich?

Pretty good definition of capitalism.

mawa
--
There's nobody here to see our show?  I thought they all just came
dressed as empty seats!

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Joke
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:45:33 +0100

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> According to the FBI statistics, once you are on the internet, it takes
> three seconds to be discovered by other hackers!

Sounds about right to me. I only have a PPPoE connection over a cable
modem, but almost every time I'm logged in for more than an hour I get
about 4 or 5 connection attempts, port scans etc. (all connection attempts
to well-known weak spots such as sunrpc). Thankfully I am not running any
services, and my box is firewalled (it's only a workstation, so it just
denies all TCP connection attempts not related to a connection already
open, and I watch the logs like a hawk). Welcome to the wonderful world of
the web, chock full of script kiddies!

Mart
--
Write in C, Write in C, Write in C,
Don't even mention COBOL,

------------------------------

From: "Scot Mc Pherson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls.
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:57:34 GMT

If a
> > > programmer is not willing to venture into the real world of modern
> > > computing, then he will be left behind in the sand.  I would love to
> > > have a more efficient operating system than Windows, but command line
> > > stuff is for the birds.
> >
> > This single sentence rules you out as an opponent worth of an answer.
> > Thank you for your time.
>
> Does that mean I get the last word?
> Yes!

I think its absolutely amazing that people who advocate windows use idea of
"venturing out into the real world" when they are advocating closed-doors
secret policies where their activity is not scrutinized by anyone except the
head con-troll-er.

Does it every occur to these people that having your software scrutinized by
the "whole world" is just about as far into the real world as you can
venture?

--
Scot Mc Pherson
N27° 19' 56"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Lars_Tr=E4ger?=)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why can't Apple do it?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:55:35 +0100

Neil Bradley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > next 10 years is pretty short sighted.  It truely is up there infamous
> > > industry quotes like the IBM top exec who predicted that the world wide
> > > global market for computers was some small 2 digit number (IIRC), or
> > > Gates' quote about 640k being all the memory anyone would ever need.
> >  We all know Bill only said that because it was all he had to offer and what
> > MS has to offer defines the limits of the universe.
>
> Gates never said that. It was Thomas Watson Jr.
>
> Think about it. The 640K limitation wasn't a Microsoft curse, it was
> IBM's architecture. IBM Made the mistake of mapping system ROMs above
> the 640K region instead of down lower. Microsoft worked within those
> bounds.

Yup, still doesn't change the fact that Gates did say it. But I forgot,
Gates says that he never said it. Anyway:

http://www.americanhistory.si.edu/csr/comphist/gates.htm#tc44

--->
DA: Now Microsoft is primarily a software company, but you actually got
into some important hardware development with the Mouse. Do you want to
say a few words about that?

BG: Microsoft was playing a much broader role[laughs] than just doing
software for this machine. I mean whether it is the keyboard, the
character set, the graphics adapter, or even the memory layouts. I laid
out memory so the bottom 640K was general purpose RAM and the upper 384
I reserved for video and ROM, and things like that. That is why they
talk about the 640K limit. It is actually a limit, not of the software,
in any way, shape, or form, it is the limit of the microprocessor. That
thing generates addresses, 20-bits addresses, that only can address a
megabyte of memory. And, therefore, all the applications are tied to
that limit. It was ten times what we had before. But to my surprise, we
ran out of that address base for applications within -- oh five or six
years people were complaining.
<---

So even *if* he didn't say it, it's *still* his fault.

Lars T.

------------------------------

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: What does IQ measure?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:28:38 +1300

> If see a thoroughly hacked and mangled body with a severed neck
> and the skull crushed in, it is the FUCKING OBVIOUS TRUTH that this
> creature is dead.

Only if you can recognise the creature as something you may have seen
before.  Are you telling me it's absolutely irrevocably impossible that
an alien life form might happen to look like a mangled body?

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:20:47 GMT

"." wrote:

> > Tramail Operating System, from the Tramail brothers, principally Jack.
> > Jack Tramail was the push behind Commodore who went to Atari.
>
> Interesting...  is there some documentation on this Tramail thing
> somewhere?  Every book I ever read on the ST said TOS stood for 'The
> Operating System'!

It was a little Atari humor "The Tramiel Operating System".  Sigh,
in its day, the Atari ST was much more fun than any PC,

Chris

--
[ Do Not Make Illegal Copies of This Message ]

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:23:33 GMT

LShaping wrote:

> "Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > LShaping wrote:

> > > Right.  That gets to my point.  Some of us want to get things done and
> > > do not have the time to spend on details.  Low level languages are
> > > more detailed and take a lot of writing to produce better results, if
> > > you have the time.  And to the Linux lunatics.  There is such a thing
> > > which grownups use, called "tools".  Some of you who oppose Microsoft
> > > seem to be stuck in a simplistic sandbox with your Linux bucket and
> > > scoop, not being able to do anything more than a million simple
> > > operations.  I imagine that is one reason why you have failed.  If a
> > > programmer is not willing to venture into the real world of modern
> > > computing, then he will be left behind in the sand.  I would love to
> > > have a more efficient operating system than Windows, but command line
> > > stuff is for the birds.

The command line of bash is cool.  Very powerful and arcane, like Perl.
In any case, you don't need it to run UNIX... in almost every way,
the UNIX GUIs are superior to even Win 2K's GUI.

Chris

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:25:18 GMT

Email me if there is a player included, if so, I'll upgrade :)

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:27:45 GMT

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On 13 Mar 2001 01:16:42 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Great, so it's only useless to C++ developers. That includes me -- all
> >my real work is in C++.
>
> That's a generic reason to avoid C++...binary incompatibility due to
> different name mangling schemes.  You get to work extra hard if you want
> to use libraries compiled by one C++ compiler with another C++ compiler.

That's why our Linux systems have a compiler for us!

> Unless you use templates heavily...then you can just put everything into
> the headers and wait until tomorrow for it to compile.

I haven't noticed that problem in Visual C++, Borland C++, and in
gcc-2.95.2 with STLport.

> I actually don't dislike C++ that much, but using a language that's
> changing at warp speed is always a challenge.  Maybe things will settle
> down now, since there is a standard and all.

You mean like with Java <grin>.  I think C++ is pretty settled right
now... especially gcc -- when the HELL is gcc 3 coming out!!!???

Chris

>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| Codem Systems, Inc.
>  -| http://www.codem.com/

"You modem, we codem."

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:29:37 GMT

Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Have your credit-cards been debited lately because of those hacked
> NT-systems, Chad?

Mine has, and I'm a penguinista!  Damned Muckrowslop!

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:32:18 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> Considering you've been hacked several times, why in the world
> would you trust Linux's a-security?
>
> -Chad
>
> "Has your linux box been used in a DDoS attack lately?"

This guy didn't even notice that I said I had a working, unhacked
Linux firewall going.  I just decided not to waste a
Pentium II on the sole function of firewalling.

Chris

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:33:20 -0500
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Middle Aged Fat Asses

Tim Hanson wrote:

> Especially troubling about this going on about MAFAMs is that I happen
> to be one!

I think he's ranting about the MAFAM's that only want to use NT for all
workstations.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No problem with multiple GUI's
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:36:33 GMT

In article <98h12o$hh3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> And now we know exactly whats important to pete.  Stuff that looks slick.

8)

When I said "slick", I meant in terms of the slick installation (the fact
that it installed with no errors, unlike Mandrake). I wasn't quite
referring to look and feel.

> I invite you, pete, to peruse www.themes.org, specifically kde.themes.org
> for a taste of what slick is.

I'd invite you to take a look at the Archimedes desktop from a long time
ago to see what slick is. Except the Archimedes kinda faded away.

--
Pete
All your no fly zone are belong to us

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (FM)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: 13 Mar 2001 23:01:23 GMT

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>FM wrote:
>>
>> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >yes.
>> >
>> >The corelation between A and B is not the same as the
>> >corelation between B and A.
>>
>> >For example sticking one's hand, unprotected in a fire for 20 seconds
>> >has corelation of 1.0 with getting a burned hand.  But having a burned
>> >hand has LESS than a corelation of 1.0 with having put one's unprotected
>> >hand in a fire.
>> >
>> >A has a 1.0 corelation with B,
>> >but the reverse corelation is somewhere in the range 0 ... 1.0
>>
>> I believe you are either in error or using some non-standard
>> definition of "correlation."
>
>I'm using the standard mathematical definition as taught in
>collegiate level statistics classes.

Then you're simply wrong. The quote is from a collegiate level
statistics textbook. The correlation (r) between A and B is
exactly the same as the correlation between B and A, as the
formula confirms. I suggest that you find yourself an
introductory textbook on statistics and learn what correlation
means.

--
Utility is when you have one telephone, luxury is when you have two,
opulence is when you have three -- and paradise is when you have none.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (FM)
Subject: Re: C#
Date: 13 Mar 2001 23:23:29 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> What, pray tell, does any of this have to do with the Java *language*?
>> These are all implementation details; when someone talks about 'C'
>> you shouldn't expect another to go into the intricacies of
>> implementation details of gcc as opposed to watcom.

>We're not talking about the *LANGUAGE*, we're talking about the byte-code.
>The Java byte-code, as the Javac compiler (and thus any compiler that wants
>to be compatible with the sun JVM) outputs it is optimized for
>interpretation.

You are good at changing the topic.

Some of the things you wrote:

>Java is interpreted, it can be compiled, but the language is designed and
>implemented as an interpreted language.

And

>The language was not designed with JIT in mind.

- So you were talking about Java the language.

Origin of this thread:

>"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I've looked into ms's C#... looks like the spitting image of java to me!
>> Looks like trouble on the horizon.  I wonder if Sun will sue them again??

>Actually, it's not.  There are a lot of differneces.  The first being that
>it's not interpreted.

So the difference between Java and C# has nothing to do with
the language, when both are clearly languages, not platforms?

This is not to mention that the execution of source code in
any language generally involves interpretation at some level.
Whether that interpretation takes place at the software-level
or hardware-level has little to do with the language. In some
sense, compilation is a process of optimizing the code in a
suitable format that can be further compiled or interpreted.

--
Men have a much better time of it than women; for one thing they marry later;
for another thing they die earlier.

alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:56:02 -0800
From: Brock Hannibal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, . wrote:

> > If see a thoroughly hacked and mangled body with a severed neck
> > and the skull crushed in, it is the FUCKING OBVIOUS TRUTH that this
> > creature is dead.
>
> Only if you can recognise the creature as something you may have seen
> before.  Are you telling me it's absolutely irrevocably impossible that
> an alien life form might happen to look like a mangled body?

No one can answer that question because no one has ever seen an alien
and there is no evidence that aliens exist. So, if you recognize
things like a head, a skull and a body, it's a pretty damn good bet the
critter is native to earth, and you'd be well served to understand what
happened to it lest the same thing happen to you. Oh, and the creature
is dead and that's the truth.

--
Brock

"One thing counts in this life: Get them to sign
 on the line which is dotted...A. Always. B. Be.
 C. Closing. Always Be Closing."

http://www.swingout.net/

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:55:46 +0100

Lars Träger wrote:
> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Lars Träger wrote:
>> >
>> > There are several Binary groups that (together) have less bandwidth
>> > than Kookis posts. They may be mostly empty, but still hold more
>> > information than all of Kookis elamorations combined.
>> >

>> That's something a jealous loser would write.
>
> So why didn't you?
>
> Lars T.

Good, that jerk is still in my killfile after updating to KDE2.1 (new
newsreader version). Looks like Mr Net-Kookis still has not lost his sig
which is just a sign of someone inherently dumb.

Peter

--
The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact
that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol.