From: Klaus-Georg Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Germany Denies Microsoft Ban
Date: 21 Mar 2001 08:52:33 +0100

"Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Gee, the Chaos Club? A linux lovers/ms-haters hang out. Uhhuh...real
> objective...

You clearly don't know what you are talking about. The CCC predates MS
and Linux by a safe margin. They are hackers in the best sense of the
word. I'd suggest you go and educate yourself before you make remarks
like that.

--
kga

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Seeking Comparison of Solaris & Linux
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:59:19 -0800

Charles Lyttle wrote:

> Glenn Catlin wrote:
> >
> > Where I work we use Solaris in production, but we recently bought a Dell
> > host with Red Hat Linux.  One of our seasoned Solaris folk quickly
> > turned her nose up after a couple of her first command-lines at the
> > Linux host failed.  I want Linux is succeed in my office, but I need a
> > book or something to demonstrate the differences/similarities between
> > the two flavors.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
> >
> >  - Glenn
> >    Philadelphia PA
> >    USA
> Different shells? You can configure Linux so it is running the same
> shell as on Solaris. Linux is better on cheap PCs, Solaris on Sun
> hardware. All other things being equal, Solaris is better. But if you
> are in a money crunch, Linux is almost as good and lots cheaper.
>
> --
> Russ Lyttle
> "World Domination through Penguin Power"
> The Universal Automotive Testset Project at
> <http://home.earthlink.net/~lyttlec>

Depends on the distro.  On Caldera 2.4 sh is linked to bash. Sh doesn't
exist in that distro.  If you are using bash and type in sh and then
type unset IFS and it doesn't allow it, then its still bash.  It worked
on earlier versions of linux and also on the current version of Solaris
8.  (IFS input field separator).
I like both Solaris and Linux.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 00:27:05 -0800

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:

> > > What's the price range for Power PC's these days?
> > >

> > If your suggesting Apple iMac its not for me.  I was thinking more along
> > the lines of the RS/6000 series.  I think Power PC cpus are joint IBM
> > and Motorola venture.  I was hoping that IBM would compete against Sun
> > in the Unix arena at the $1k mark.
> >

> Oh, god...no, you do NOT want an RS-6000.
>
> RS/6000....on your Desktop?  Where ya gonna put the monitor?
>
> (RS/6000's consume a 2 foot x 3 foot patch of floorspace.)

Haha... Well, in that case its not priced at $1k then.
Reminds me of one guy that found a VAX 6000 for $500 at e-bay.  He was
trying to figure out a way to convince his wife that it would look nice
next to the refrigerator.  But he couldn't get access to three phase
power.  :-))

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: misc.int-property,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:29:34 GMT

JD wrote:

> "Tim Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > JD wrote:
> > >
> > > "Tim Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>correlated)

> > > Okay, your right...  People just don't like the GPL because it is a bad license
>then? :-).
> >
> > We haven't figured out that people don't like the GPL yet, beyond your
> > repeated insistance that they don't.  Which people, specifically?
> >
> All you have to do is look and listen.  The information is freely available, and
> probably not under the GPL.

I have looked and listened and don't see a groundswell of opposition
that you apparently do.  Where is it, or is it made of straw?

> I can enumerate names, but it is your problem that your circle of friends is so
> very small.

What do you know about my circle of friends?

>  I happen to have friends that both like the GPL and don't like the
> GPL.  Guess what?  The number who really embrace the GPL are a similar proportion
> to the trekkers (very small, usually misfits.)

I see, so you're relying on the anecdotes of a circle of your friends.
I finally have my answer.  In addition, you make yet another unsupported
assertion, that those "who really embrace the GPL" are "misfits."
Sewage.

--
There was a young poet named Dan,
Whose poetry never would scan.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: the truth about linux
Date: 21 Mar 2001 08:26:45 GMT

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 03:09:22 GMT, Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>J Sloan wrote:
>>
>> "Public " wrote:
>>
>> > Here are some humorous snippets from a site located at
>http://members.aol.com/erichuf/Linux.html
>> >
>> > Finally! somebody willing to tell the truth!
>>
>> Nah, just another silly troll....
>>
>> jjs
>
>And this, Young Jedi, is why you fail. Instead of responding to the
>points the article makes, you simply dismiss it and the reader.
>
>Linux will never take off
So says a obviously Windows impaired oracle of wisdom!

> unless it's community of advocates (not
>developers, the developers seem pretty nice) is willing to take some
>(much-needed) criticism.
Bullshit.

> They need to be:
>
>1) less arrogant
Get Stuffed.

>2) less condescending
There there,have a nice lie down Wintroll, watch that blood pressure.

>3) less insecure
God I hope Windows doesn't take over my Linux box!

>4) more open-minded
If only I could embrace your Wintroll drivel ..

>5) mindful of why Microsoft SUCCEEDS and why they FAIL
The court said Windows succeeds due to criminal preditory business
practices.

>In general, I find the Linux community so darn obnoxious and unlikable
>(ie. Kulkis), or just plain religious like zealotrous (ie. Charlie
>Ebert) at times it actually serves as a deterrant to me using the OS.
I for one hope you never use Linux, I think your bitching would drive
me crazy.

>Is this flaimbait? Probably, but the truth is the truth.
Yes this is flamebait, 1= 1.

>--
>Happy Trails!
Happy endless upgrades, happy reinstalls, happy virii !

>-Brent
>
>http://rotten168.home.att.net

Terry

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 00:31:54 -0800

Michael Vester wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Jan Johanson, the Microsoft-paid shill lied:
> > >
> > > "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > by
> > > before

> > > before
> > > blue
> > > of

> > > Windows,
> > >
> > > Not at all true. What's so unusual about requiring a final release version
> > > of some product? Are you that used to running beta software that you prefer
> > > it over fleeting releases before more point betas are released?
> >
> > Same song, different day.
> >
> > How many YEARS have we been hearing this same song?
> >
> > When is Microsoft actually going to DELIVER on a single one of their promises?
> >
> > They *STILL* haven't figured out how to make a multi-user system.
> >
> > Fuck, I wrote a multi-user, multi-tasking operating system in FOUR WEEKS
> > BY MYSELF on a primitive 8-bit Motorola 6809.
>
> I don't believe they have been able to build a multi-tasking OS.  DesqView
> running on dos could format a disk and do something else much better than
> any losedos OS. At best, I would call losedos a task switcher.
> >
> > Are you saying with all of those BILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN ANNUAL REVENUE
> > that this is faaaaaaaaar too  difficult a task for the boys in Redmond?
> >
> Those billions are going to satisfy the greediest people that ever lived.
> With open source, Microsoft does not even have to code anymore. Just
> incorporate open source into their products with lots of NOP's. When
> upgrades are necessary to increase cash flow, delete NOP's and
> re-release.  Marketing is everything.
>
> > Or are they sandbagging the hardware by DELIBERATELY keeping
> > technology away from you that would allow you to get more work
> > done with less equipment.
> >
> I always suspected a strong relationship between Microsoft and Intel. Why
> would you need a bigger cpu unless you have a bigger os. A great setup for
> both companies.

I hear you on that one.  With the power getting tight and the P4's
dissipating 54Watts, I think Intel is going to have to go back to the
drawing board.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 21 Mar 2001 08:31:04 GMT

On 19 Mar 2001 08:27:07 -0600, Jon Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Electric Ninja" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:Wpht6.28385$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> For getting work done I love Win2000 like a charm but I'm scared to death
>> have something like that running one of our aircraft carriers.
>
>Why? It works as well as any other server OS...

I vote for Jon Johanson as "The Most Clueless Wintroll, 2001" anyone second
my vote ?

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Stupid error message
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:35:16 -0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti) wrote:

>  The name specified is not recognized as an
>  internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
>
>Is there any other operating system in the world with such a
>stupid and needlessly verbose error message?

OS/2.  You get the same error message when you futz up a command
name.  Word for word.  Right down to the line break after "an."

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob S. Wolfram)
Subject: Re: GPL Like patents.
Date: 21 Mar 2001 07:36:45 GMT

Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Rob S. Wolfram wrote:
>> True. It was one of RMS' arguments. Personally I would be in favour of
>> drawing the line at static linking. That would make the whole GPL v.s.
>> LGPL and KDE/Qt issues moot. RMS seems against this because it would
>> have less of a forcing (or viral if you wish) effect.
>
>In fact, he opposes this because it would make the GPL the same as the LGPL.
>Anything that you can put in an object file to link statically, you can put
>in a library to dlopen().

I wouldn't mind that because the code of the program itself is then
still seperately distributable and maintainable. But the mere existence
of the LPGL shows that the FSF disagrees with me here. ;-)

>> OTOH, if a judge
>> would rule the GPL as invalid because of this distinction, we end up
>> with lots of legally unusable code.
>
>Actually, the GPL covers that. If a section is invalid, you have to apply
>the others. I suppose that would make things BSD-like.

If that were the case I would have no concern at all. Section 7 of the
GPL tells me another story, though...

>> I have no idea how the Amiga works. Is there no notion of context
>> switching in Linux/Amiga?
>
>I am not quite sure. Let's just say: GPLd TSRs on DOS :-)

Oh my $DEITY, how ugly!

Cheers,
Rob
--
Rob S. Wolfram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  OpenPGP key 0xD61A655D
                -- Henry Spencer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Virus plague causes charity to consider Linux
Date: 21 Mar 2001 08:42:01 GMT

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:14:51 GMT,
 Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>>
>> > My comment was on your comment "Another one bites the dust!" which seems to
>> > be saying that the switch actually happened.
>>
>> It's a well known fact that keeping your head in the sand is the best way to
>> keep the world from changing around you.
>
>One charity organization out there TALKS about switching
Talk preceeds action.

> (which is really
>a rash move,
Bullshit.

> and it's obvious they don't understand the undertaking of
>switching to Linux
On the other hand, perhaps they do, after seeing how easy it is.

> and the 400% increase in support calls and cost that
>it will cost them, not to mention a worse headache than dealing with
>some harmless "virus") and you guys get all creamed over it, and you
>tell us to get OUR heads out of the sand?
>
>Perhaps you should start right now.
Chad, Chad, Chad, your BS posting quotient is well above average this month
, Bill will be pleased.

400% increase in support calls ........ hahahahahahah!
How about lowering of travel costs due to Linux's remote admin?

Multiuser facility, so the user's pc can be admined whilst the user is still
at the keyboard and the admin person not even in the same area?

What about the inability of a non root Linux user to trash his system (unlike
Windows) ?

Harmless virus ?, whatever your smoking atm Chad, can I have some ?

Your head isn't stuck in nice clean sand Chad, where you are, it's very smelly
and lots of mushrooms grow in it.

>-c

Terry

------------------------------

From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: German armed forces ban MS software  <gloat!>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:38:54 +0100

Aaron R. Kulkis wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> : Spot the Microsoft-paid plant:
>>
>> : Jan Johanson wrote:
>> : [stuff, not worth quoting, deleted]
>>
>> You're doing *exactly* what he/she/it wants, by posting this same
>> response over and over again.
>>
>> This type of troll works by provoking otherwise sensible people into
>> emitting more noise than signal.  No one really takes it seriously.
>> But when someone on the opposing side responds in kind, then people
>> end up not taking the opponent seriously either.
>>
>> Better to just go *plonk* and be done with him.
>>
>> Joe
>
>No..it's best to identify him for what he is, so that those who
>are less knowledgeable don't get fooled.

Aaron, you are an irritating fool.  From your postings, I know that you are
have extensive knowledge and experience in unix systems, and you frequently
make useful and intelligent remarks.  Yet for some reason, you bury these
within such a pile of junk (huge, unsnipped and irrelevant quotations,
followed by your absurd sig), and argue with the maturity of an 8-year old
(I very rarely resort to personal name-calling, but you deserve it).  For
the good of everyone else, especially the unix and linux communities that
you seem to be trying to promote, either send your posts to /dev/null, or
learn the rudiments of netiquette.