  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft (Andrew Molitor)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.object,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.theory,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: Impact of Internet
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:15:56 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:05:59 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> In misc.invest.stocks Edward Hsu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Are you related to Amy Hsu?
>
>No, but he has a sister named Sue Hsu.

If that's a joke, it's so so. :-)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- but I'll bet her other sister is a lulu :-)
                    This is a voluntary signature virus.  Send this to somebody.

------------------------------

From: Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 - It is an excellent product
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:37:43 GMT

On Thu 26 Apr 2001 05:56, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

> Chronos Tachyon wrote:
>
>> Thanks to Erik Funkenbusch(!), I managed to get CD burning working as a
>> regular user, and it required altering the local security policy to
>> permit
>> mortal users to load and unload drivers.  Yeah, that's plain wrong, huh?
>
> Could I have a guest login on your computer for a few minutes, please?
>

> Bobby Bryant
> Austin, Texas

Thankfully, said computer is behind a Linux firewall...

--
Chronos Tachyon
Guardian of Eristic Paraphernalia

------------------------------

From: Sean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Article: Want Media Player 8? Buy Windows XP
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:48:28 GMT

Why would anyone be surprised that Microsoft was trying to
<gasp> leverage its monopoly to damage competitors?  How
long does it take to forget:

- Stac Electronics (MS lost in court)
- Digital Research/Caldera (MS paid Caldera $150M++)
- Intel (Intel caved in and stopped "competing")
- Netscape (see DOJ action)

This is a long-standing pattern of behavior, and Real
Networks et al. are only the latest in a growing line.

Their other tactic is simply to buy the company if they
think a) they couldn't write it themselves and/or
b) they can get more leverage:

Q-DOS (became MS-DOS, and cost $3M or so later on)
Lattice (for their C compiler)
Multiplan (became Excel)
Sybase (became SQL Server)
Powerpoint
Fox (became FoxPro)
Avalanche (SGML tools)
Visio

Intuit got away because of <gasp> anti-trust concerns.

Sean
====

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:49:24 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> [...]
>
> So, you admit that your understanding of the philosophical foundation
> of the US constitution, and the liberties it guarantees, is sufficiently
> less than your endorsement of the oppressive "government is always right,
> the poeple cannot be trusted" police state from which you came.
>
> My suggestion, Roberto, is that if you don't appreciate living
> in a free society, that you go back to the fascist hole you
> crawled out of.

> > >And from what you have said so far, you couldn't pass the
> > >test if you tried
> >
> > Oh, I can lie in tests adeptly.
>
> So, you admit that you are untrustworthy.
>

> > >You're still bound by the US Constitution as long as you are within
> > >the borders of the United States.
> >
> > Really? Gee, maybe I knew that already when I said I am not
> > bound by the US constitution.
>
> Try murdering someone in broad daylight and see what happens,
> you fascist pig.
>

> > --
> > Roberto Alsina
>
> --
> Aaron R. Kulkis
> Unix Systems Engineer
> DNRC Minister of all I survey
> ICQ # 3056642
>
> L: This seems to have reduced my spam. Maybe if everyone does it we
>    can defeat the email search bots.  [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> K: Truth in advertising:
>         Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shalala,
>         Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan,
>         Special Interest Sierra Club,
>         Anarchist Members of the ACLU
>         Left Wing Corporate Extremist Ted Turner
>         The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
>         Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,
>
> J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
>    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
>    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
>
> I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
>    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
>    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
>    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
>
> H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
>     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
>     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
>     you are lazy, stupid people"
>
> G:  Knackos...you're a retard.
>
> F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
>    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
>
> E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
>    her behavior improves.
>
> D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
>    ...despite (C) above.
>
> C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
>
> B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
>    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a

Remind him what George Bush Sr. did to that Panamanian President!  He's
still rotting in our prison.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:51:17 -0700

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> Notice how here I say plainly that I am not in the US.

> >> You say "from which you came". Where do you think I came to, Aaron?
> >
> >You came from a central american police state, where the people are
> >not to be trusted, and government officials can do no wrong...
>
> That's funny. I have never even been in Central America, except on
> vacation (you should try Cancún, nice place). Perhaps you can quote
> where I said that?
>
> And you didn't say where do you believe I came *to*.
>
> >at least, if you believe the bullshit you write.
>
> I think you are confusing me with one of the voices in your head.
>
> --
> Roberto Alsina

Are you in Argentina?

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:52:40 -0700

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> Chad Everett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>USA.

>selection.

> >>Quotes please. I am not, and have not been, in several years, in the US.
> >>In fact, I am pretty far from the US.
> >>
> >>Roberto Alsina
> >
> >He's in Argentina.
>
> Yup. Buenos Aires, to be exact.
>
> --
> Roberto Alsina

I would very much like to visit Buenos Aires.  But I don't think it
would be safe for me and my wife to do a vacation there. (?)

Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 23:53:49 GMT

In article <EE_F6.419$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Phlip  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>Huh, IP can seldom cope on a GOOD day. The idea of an IP based network
>>>staying up under severe stress is just too funny to be funny.
>
>During the Gulf War when the US bombed Iraqui "command and control
>facilities" they were often going after network servers. They never brought
>the net down.

        I am fascinated by the idea that you, a random usenet
poster, is privy to what is surely information deemed quite secret
by the Iraqi government. Are you a highly placed Iraqi military
official?

>Staying up during a war is what TCP/IP was >designed< to do.

        Let's be careful here. Some grant proposals were written
which called out the is a design criterion, or desideratum. Some of
those grants resulted in money, some of which was spent to develop
TCP/IP.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:57:40 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> [...]
>    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
>    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
>
> H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
>     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
>     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
>     you are lazy, stupid people"
>
> G:  Knackos...you're a retard.
>
> F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
>    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
>
> E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
>    her behavior improves.
>
> D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
>    ...despite (C) above.
>
> C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
>
> B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
>    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a

He was a damn good judge.  My friend was getting a divorce,( she thought
the $50k limit was to be used up on her credit card!).  The judge asked
her if she charged up this debt herself.  Which she replied yes, but
its' his card.  The judge asked him if he was there when the credit card
was used.  Which he replied, "No, but I found these on the bank
statement."  The judge gave him the divorce and told her that these were
her debts, not his.  Very fortunate he was.

Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Molitor)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:01:15 GMT

In article <9c9vlj$28s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Nick Maclaren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Paul Repacholi wrote:

>>> Huh, IP can seldom cope on a GOOD day. The idea of an IP based network
>>> staying up under severe stress is just too funny to be funny.
>>
>>That's a BANDWIDTH issue, which has nothing to do with robustness.
>>
>>Hope that helps, feeble-minded twit.
>
>Hmm.  If the bandwidth limitations of IP were all the problems it
>caused me, I would have a much easier life.  If you look into its
>design - I won't say more carefully, because a quick glance will
>do - you will see that it is the antithesis of robust.
>
>The fact that it was designed to work on unreliable transport media
>doesn't mean that it delivers a reliable result, whatever sense
>you apply to reliable.  TCP is nominally a 'reliable' channel, but
>is prone to failure saying just "shan't", jamming at several levels,
>and so on.

        I am pleased to have Aaron killfiled, so I only see responses
to his witty little responses.

        One of the larger troubles TCP/IP has is its routing, which
isn't scalable in any reasonable sense. It can be made to work on
large networks by the simple expedient of throwing vast quantities
of memory and compute power at it. By failing to separate the
'who am I' address from the 'how do you get to me' address, IP managed
to completely avoid scalability. IPv6 managed to cleverly Not Fix
this.

        The Byzantine efforts required to make this routing architecture
work in a large network would be quite hilarious if they didn't hurt
so badly.

        On the other hand, I am not personally aware of a network that
scales better, except for the telephone network, a fact which is
directly attributable to its addressing and routing architecture.
This does not mean that there aren't lots of other networking protocols
out there that scale really well -- only that I don't know about them.