From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: German armed forces ban MS software  <gloat!>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 23:42:13 -0500

Jan Johanson wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Said Jon Johanson in alt.destroy.microsoft on 23 Mar 2001 10:24:10
> > >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >employee
> server

> > >You're closer with this last word. It IS a joke.
> >
> > Setting aside for the moment the fact that Microsoft Corp.'s Web server
> > software is a joke, we are left with the fact that it has a SERIOUS
> > SECURITY HOLE in terms of a back door.
>
> Hard to set aside when it's one of the single best web servers on the planet
> but, sure, we'll skip that for now.
>
> WHAT security hole? What back door? EH?

Wake up, Rip van Winkle....wake up...

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Microsoft security concerns: Wall Street Journal
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 23:43:21 -0500

Chad Everett wrote:

> On 24 Mar 2001 15:38:10 -0600, Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >gee, how about providing the copyright notice and some advertising when you
> >rip off a post so large...
> >

> Sure. How's this Bucko:
>
> You may download, reformat and print a limited amount of WSJ.com
> content for your personal, non-commercial use. You may also
> include excerpts or limited portions of WSJ.com information in
> printed memos, reports and presentations.
>
> I am not clear what kind of advertising you'd like to see though.

Not only that, but there is a clear provision in the copyright
law for making copies and limited distribution for EDUCATION
AND DISCUSSION purposes.

USENET falls under such provisions.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dying
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 23:44:12 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <9m7v6.23747$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> >"David Steinberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:99ive2$525$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Chad Myers ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >> : Compare that with Red Hat, who considers it a major acheivement if
> >> : they only lose x amount vs y amount. Meeting analysts expectations
> >> : consists of not losing as much as normal.
> >>
> >> : And we won't even go into market cap. That $52 that MS has is
> >> : after dozens of splits.
> >>
> >> What a pointless thread.
> >>
> >> If your point is that Microsoft is a larger and more profitable company
> >> than Red Hat, I don't think anyone here is going to disagree.
> >
> >It seems though, that there are people in this group, who reply to
> >my posts, that don't seem to get this. They think that MS losing 60%
> >and RHAT losing 60% are the same thing and are comparable, which they
> >are not.
> >
> >-c
> >

> Chad never ceases amaze me.
>
> You take some guy who has say $27,000 worth of Microsoft Stock.
> And you tell him that he's just lost 60% of his investment and
> that he shouldn't worry as Microsoft is still very sound.
>
> I mean you tickle me pink budd.
>
> Have you considered doing a stage show in Vegas?

For his next trick, he'll make half his wealth disappear!

> Charlie

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Has Linux anything to offer ?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 04:46:05 GMT

WJP wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 13:41:35 -0800, "Peter"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Has Linux seriously anything to offer the average desktop user?
> >
> The challenge to learn more about what is going on "inside" the computer
> along with the versatility of program operating selection(s), such as
> window managers, word processors, utilities, etc.
>
> >Is it really a full operating system for the desktop?
> >
> Yes, and much, much more - as I learn - each time I boot Linux.
>
> >Does it boot up and shut down quicker than other operating systems?
> >
> Yes, about the same amount of time, however, the user is provided
> information at bootup which is completely missing when using Microsoft
> software.

But can be found in Windows using the right tools.

> >Is software for accessing the Web, Email and Newsgroups the best there is
> >available?
> >
> Personally, I haven't gotten that far in the use of Linux -  I am still
> "Linux challenged", however, my experience so far is that Forte' Agent
> is one of the most versatile news reader/email programs extant.

Agent is available for Windows.

> >Are there more software programs written for the home user in Linux than any
> >other system?
> >
> I haven't taken time to make a comparative count.
>
> (As an aside,  I have promised myself and my wife that I will be
> Microsoft free by the end of 2001.)

Why? Bragging rights? Different tools for different jobs...

Windows is not necessarily a worse OS, it is a helluva lot less stable
though.

> >Do games and graphical programs run faster and better than on other systems?
> >
> Not experienced enough with Linux to answer this question.

The answer would be no... XWindows is kindof a snail, but it's run on
top of Linux like Windows 3.x did rather than compiled in with the
kernel like in Windows. The result is bittersweet: XWindows is slow but
when it crashes (and it does crash) the whole OS is taken down unlike
Windows where a single process can crash the system.

> >Are CD-R and CD-RW easier to configure and use with Linux?
> >
> I haven't "been there" yet, either.
>
> >Is the support for Display Cards, DVD, Sound Cards, Large Hard Drives and
> >Printers better?
> >
> The support is there, if "one" knows where and how to look for it.

True and it will communicate with "non-Win" hardware beautifully (so
Winmodems and Winprinters will not work but independent devices will
work).

> >Is there a really must have program for the home user that is only available
> >in Linux?
> >
> Not that I'm aware of, however, that doesn't mean that eventually I
> won't find one.

There probably is one out there, but there a ton available for Windows
that anyone can name offhand.

> >Is the fact that Linux is free and used by people who do not want to pay for
> >anything the only reason it is used?
> >
> I don't think so.  I have shelled out a certain amount of bucks for five
> of the seven Linux distro's I've installed.

Seven distro's? Geez...

--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: "Interconnect" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unix/Linux Professionalism
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:55:21 +1000

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > But I had to killfile him and I recommend you do too. You
> > can't/shouldn't argue with someone who's that unstable.
>
> The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club.

LOL, This is *exactly* why I will never killfile Aaron Kulkis. (And other
useful titbits of information I manage to garner)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Selling to the masses
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 23:51:05 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> [...]
> really *are* giving away a better product.
>
> Microsoft, by contrast, actively sells Windows, with slick campaigns
> and millions of dollars in commercials.  One commercial that is
> interesting, for example, is showing a party in another room
> (the camera focuses on the server, working away while they party)
> with some sort of voiceover suggesting that Microsoft equates
> to reliability -- no cares, no worries, no problems, no fooling.
> (Right.  I'll believe it when I see it, although I will concede
> Win2k is an improvement.)
>
> And enigmatic adverts such as IBM's current billboard which
> shows a peace symbol, a heart, and a penguin on a black
> billboard probably aren't helping anyway, although they might rouse
> curiousity in the knowledgeable.  Maybe that's the idea...?
>
> There's also Java.  Java really doesn't care what OS it sits on; if
> one develops in Java, one can run almost anywhere -- although there
> are issues if one is silly enough to declare, among other things,
>
>     File f = new File("C:\\WinNT\...");
>
> or
>
>     File f = new File("/bin/bash");
>
> >    Perhaps it's a deep seated complex that causes these people to resent
> >anyone else joining their exclusive little club, but the only ones they
> >really hurt are themselves. Their behavior only puts off others and
> >consequently software companies from supporting Linux.
>
> I'll agree it's not the best behavior.  Windows is remarkably easy to
> "install" (of course, most people just buy preinstalled boxes) and
> very "user-friendly" (well, it tries to be, anyway) because of
> Microsoft's extensive work in promoting a slick GUI.  One might
> characterize it as the difference between a gaudy Lada limousine [*]
> versus an old reliable Mac truck whose paint is peeling off.
> But the Lada has an automatic tranny.  Win9x could be equated to a
> Trabant with a beautiful paint job. [+]
>
> But this won't prevent the naive user from destroying the Mac Truck
> by misshifting, putting gas in a diesel fuel tank, or confusing the
> oil filler plug for a water inlet. :-)
>
> >    The normal people amongst us try and help other people progress their
> >knowledge of Linux but there are sadly far too many who just dedicate their
> >lives to rudeness and attempt to put others off.
> >    Maybe it all stems from being bullied at school for being nerds or
> >something....
>
> I'm not sure how relevant this all is to which OS is better, admittedly,
> but it would help if those promoting Linux -- myself included --
> conduct ourselves in a professional manner.  After all, Linux is
> a professional-quality OS (IBM support and a number of benchmarks
> prove it), as is Windows 2000 -- well, most of the time anyway.
>
> [*] Actually, I know very little about the Lada, except that it was made
>     by the USSR, but one joke about it was that every family who
>     could afford a Lada had two -- the second one was a spare/for parts.

That's not so much an indictment of the Lada as of the difficulty
of getting spare parts in a timely manner in Russia.

The Lada itself is a good automobile....designed by Fiat, with Soviet
production methods (poor tolerance control and both factory management
and workers entirely disinterested in Quality Assessment issues) taken
into consideration by the guys at Fiat.

It is possible that the Lada is the single largest replication of any
design ever to be done by Fiat's engineers (As the Russian automotive
industry hasn't kicked into the consumerism/keep-up-with-the-Jones
idea of model years yet).

> [+] East German manufacture, prior to The Fall.  One joke here:
>     "Why does a Trabant have a rear window defroster?  To keep
>     your hands warm."  (The implication being one is going to
>     do more pushing than driving, especially during the winter.
>     Fortunately, it's a small auto.)
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       47d:15h:33m actually running Linux.
>                     This space for rent.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Kulkis not Chad, Gates (was Re Unix/Linux Professionalism)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 23:52:07 -0500

"." wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Chad Everett wrote:

>disconnected

> >> But any programmer who was was any good, if they're going to go to the trouble
> >> of modifying the Netscape identity string and re-compile, would modify the code
> >> so that it would generate the identity string by reading an external config
> >> file.  That way the string could be changed at will, without re-compiling.
> >>
> >> You are either lying, or a very poor programmer.   Maybe both.
>
> > Jump!
>
> At this point, aaron, you really are just making a pathetic fool of yourself.
>
> Youve been caught red handed in a number of lies.  It might just be time to
> pack your bags and be off.

You failed to jump when I commanded you to do so.

Therefore, I can only conclude that you are incapable of jumping.

After all..I *AM* using your indisputable logic.

> -----.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sometimes, when I run Windows...
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 23:53:29 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Pete Goodwin
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:08:52 -0000
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >> Powerpoint. What's that? Something I plug the kettle in to? Hey. My
> >> computer has a powerpoint. Why can't I plug my kettle in to it?
> >
> >Powerpoint is a cli command is it?
>
> Microsoft Powerpoint is a presentation-creation/editing package,
> allowing one to generate what are essentially slide shows.
                                               ^
    You accidentally omitted the word.... "useless"

> It is of course on Windows platforms.
>
> I'm not aware of a Linux equivalent at this time, although I suspect
> one is out there.  Somewhere.  (Xfig could be pressed into service
> in a pinch, although it doesn't have the ability to show the next page
> with a spacebar or mouse button press; one could then cobble up
> something using a converter (fig2dev), Netscape, and a bit of HTML glue.
> It's not quite as slick and one would see the Netscape "control panel",
> but it should work.)
>
> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- it's slick enough for us engineering types, anyway :-)
> EAC code #191       47d:18h:45m actually running Linux.
>                     No electrons were harmed during this message.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.