  Re: Linus for a 386???? ("Ned Harkey")

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 21:01:59 -0800

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Roger Perkins wrote:
> >
> > aaron, aaron, aaron, your ass must be frostbitten hanging out the way it
> > does.  How does someone as stupid as you survive in the modern world.  Now,
> > I know that's now where you mind is, but still!  You don't know history, you
> > don't know politics, you certainly don't know the military but you insist on
> > shooting your mouth off.
>
> False premise,
>
> Ah yes, Roger's favorite method of debate..
>
> Proof by ... assertion.
>
> Check out the local university and see if the philosophy department has
> a course on logic and epistomology.
>

> > Roger
> > AIRBORNE!
>
> What happened....cutoff the oxygen to your brain for too long from
> getting your head caught in the shroud lines....

While in Basic training in the Army, the drill instructor said if you
want to be an AirBorne Ranger that's up to you... then said "But two
things fall out of the sky: Bird shit and Fools!"

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:46:34 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>    Aaron> cHip wrote:
>    >>
>    >> Being a guy who has researched this a lot I'd like to comment on a few
>    >> things.
>    >>
>    >> First of all, anyone who mentions Russian Communism, Chinese Communism,
>    >> North Korean Communism, etc. as communism---sorry but you're wrong.
>    >> Those are NOT communism, they are totalitarian governments. Basically
>    >> they're dictaror governments (layman term, really authoritarian). Anyone
>    >> who critisizes communism for anything there just doesn't get it.
>    >>

>    Aaron> Ah yes, the usual "that isn't *real* communism" lie.
>
>    Aaron> So...tell us, Mr Wise guy...why are there not *ANY* "real communist"
>    Aaron> countries in existance....and why is every country which calls itself
>    Aaron> Communist also a police state?
>
>    Aaron> Accuracy counts, so be precise.
>
> Communism is a utopian idea which is completely incompatible with
> human nature.  Hence any attempt to implement it will end in either
> capitulation or tyranny.  Generally the latter, as anyone driven to
> take power is not likely to give it up.

Very good, but that's very general and vague.

I said be precise.

You know...name some Communist-style government policies that
you agree with.

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:47:42 -0500

GreyCloud wrote:

> >    Aaron> cHip wrote:
> >    >>
> >    >> Being a guy who has researched this a lot I'd like to comment on a few
> >    >> things.
> >    >>
> >    >> First of all, anyone who mentions Russian Communism, Chinese Communism,
> >    >> North Korean Communism, etc. as communism---sorry but you're wrong.
> >    >> Those are NOT communism, they are totalitarian governments. Basically
> >    >> they're dictaror governments (layman term, really authoritarian). Anyone
> >    >> who critisizes communism for anything there just doesn't get it.
> >    >>

> >    Aaron> Ah yes, the usual "that isn't *real* communism" lie.
> >
> >    Aaron> So...tell us, Mr Wise guy...why are there not *ANY* "real communist"
> >    Aaron> countries in existance....and why is every country which calls itself
> >    Aaron> Communist also a police state?
> >
> >    Aaron> Accuracy counts, so be precise.
> >
> > Communism is a utopian idea which is completely incompatible with
> > human nature.  Hence any attempt to implement it will end in either
> > capitulation or tyranny.  Generally the latter, as anyone driven to
> > take power is not likely to give it up.
> >
> > --
> > Andrew Hall
> > (Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)
>
> Very well said.

Not at all.  I told him to be precise.

In stead, he gave me a vague denial of utopianism, while not expressing
the slightest disagreement at all with any communist-style economic and
social policies.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS patents ones and zeros...
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 05:07:01 GMT

Donn Miller wrote:

> Yep, we all knew it was coming.
>
> http://www.cnn.com@sci-tech@3520040376/new_010325/alert/breakingnews.html
>
> Darn, I guess it's back to analog computing with op-amps for the rest of
> us "little people".

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

That was originally a story from The Onion that was done a long time
ago.
--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: "2 + 2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: Java, the "Dot-Com" Language?
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 00:07:35 -0500

J Perry Fecteau wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>i actually said the linux thing about dell a while back... they could
>do it with their own intel servers!  they're the only pc company their
>size that won't suffer from cannibalization by adopting linux..  but
>michael dell refuses to remove his lips from bill gates' cock two
>seconds to at least think about it!

As I've stated, Dell sells its $1000- entry level server on Red Hat Linux at
no extra cost, while Windows 2000 costs about a $1000 more.

I'm talking about the midrange server that Dell is looking to conquer.

Dell has far superior state-of-the-art OEM assembly factories. Also, great
integration of its web site for selling, with customized pages for each
approved-for-purchasing model for each big customer.

Sun would provide good brand ambiance.

>as far as sun dying... DREAM ON!!

Who said dying? Sun would live on as a software company like Microsoft.
Before the downturn, Sun had only about $2 billion annual profits, the same
as Dell.

After the downturn, who knows what Sun will report. The stock is sinking
through the floor due to investor profit worries.

Sun has to do a better job of selling enterprise software based on the Java
platform, where it has the inside advantage.

This is A VAST MARKET of countless billions (the top 500 software companies
share $200 billion). Sun is already in the top ten of that software market.

(Enterprise software is assuredly not free)

Success means huge profit margins.

There no question that Sun is being mismanaged based on its history as a
hardware vendor.

Sun has the name cachet to attract the best software talent in the industry.

In the corresponding time of the last 5-6 years, Microsoft has gone from
having NO PRESENCE in the enterprise software market, to having built an
infrastructure AND server products that is a rapidly growing sub-segment of
the company ($5 billion annually last quarter).

I predict that Microsoft will have more profit from this segment this
quarter than Sun has profits overall. Likewise, I bet a very substantial
part of Sun profits this quarter will be from software. The hardware segment
has tanked.

And this is BEFORE the .NET platform goes to manufacturing.

People complain about HailStorm for various reasons, but fail to see that
this is an infrastructure being pieced together focusing on the DEVICE
market, the very market that Java was originally developed for.

The economy JITer, the PC tablet, HailStorm and who knows what will be
coming out. But it will be part of a strategy to provide infrastructure for
the device market. This will be based largely on business needs.

2 + 2

>On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 17:54:54 -0500, "2 + 2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>As we see the dot-com meltdown, how do we access all the money wasted on
>>overpriced software projects that promise the world but deliver very
little?

>>Sun is, no doubt, taking a big hit to its bottom line.
>>
>>Perhaps Dell, which has be same profit level as Sun BEFORE the downturn,
>>will buy Sun for it's midline server hardware business, which it would
>>promptly convert to Linux, an OS that delivers on its promises.
>>
>>Dell could become a dominent Linux server vendor.
>>
>>Dell would sell off the Sunsoft division that include Java, etc. Then that
>>division could concentrate on becoming a software company in competition
>>with Microsoft.
>>
>>That would be good for the industry. Java wouldn't be captive to the
mission
>>of selling overpriced Sun servers.
>>
>>McNealy could be farmed out to a separate spin off of the chip business.
Of
>>course, Scott could still be heard railing against the elements like
Captain

------------------------------

From: "Michael Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft abandoning USB?
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 05:08:38 GMT

> Said Michael Allen in alt.destroy.microsoft on Fri, 30 Mar 2001 04:53:50
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Said Michael Allen in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 29 Mar 2001
03:48:51

The

> >for

> >Books,
> >>
> >> BZZZZ.  Sorry, only software belongs in that category, and then only
> >> speculatively.  You obviously misunderstood the concept.  You pay for a
> >> *book* or a *performance* or what have you, not any "use of
intellectual
> >> property".  Only producers do that.  As for software, we're not talking
> >> about charging for "licenses to use" (which aren't, by the way,
licenses
> >> to use, but trade secret agreements pretending to be licenses to copy),
> >> we're talking about charging for actual use.
> >
> >IP encompasses patents, trademarks and copyrights.  Individuals and
> >corporations charge millions of dollars every day for the use of their
> >patented, trademarked and copyrighted IP.  You are demonstrating your
> >ignorance of this topic and the law.
>
> You are misunderstanding the argument, which has nothing to do with
> whether anyone "makes money" from intellectual property, but *how* they
> make money from owning intellectual property.

> >> BZZZZ.  This is, again, a misconception.  The *only* right the owner of
> >> intellectual property has is the ability to determine (and charge for
> >> such consideration) who can *produce* his works.  Copyright gives no
> >> power whatsoever to charge for use of IP.  You have been duped by the
> >> trade secret licenses, and you are not alone.
> >
> >Here's the code (you are wrong again).  Note that the copyright owner has
> >the "exclusinve rights to do and to authorize any of the following", and
> >note the words "sale", "rental", "lease" and "lending" in subsection 3.
> >(and this is only one small piece of Title 17).
>
> You're again simply misconstruing the argument.

Geez - look at your *own* words two paragraphs above!!!  Quote Max:
"Copyright gives no power whatsoever to charge for use of IP."  My reply:  I
show you US Code, Title 17 that *expressly* grants copyright owners the
rights to do *exactly* what you said it did not grant.  Max, can't you just
admit you are wrong about something?

> >> Who's "they"?
> >
> >"they" can be anyone, you or me.  And I'll ask the question again:  Do
you
> >believe an individual has the right to download a copy of a song they
have
> >not paid for?  Yes or No.  I say No.
>
> Shocker.  Let me ask you something: how much can an author ethically
> charge for something that costs him nothing, and has no functional
> value?

Once again, you refuse to answer the question.  It shouldn't be too hard to
draw on your own value system to determine whether you support an illegal
act or not.

Unlike you, I will crisply answer your question:  an author can ethically
charge whatever he wants for his IP.  $1 or $Millions of dollars.  Even
though it wouldn't impact my answer, I do have a couple of questions for
you.  1) What do you mean when you say "costs him nothing"?  The blood,
sweat and tears to produce a novel may not have an invoice or bill of
material attached to it, but I can assure you those costs are high to the
author.  Are you talking about production and distribution costs again?
Repeat after me: those costs have nothing to do with the value of IP and
have no bearing on what the author can charge for his IP.  2) And what do
you mean by "no functional value"?  A book, a symphony, a play, a painting -
all of those have value.  Those are examples of IP which inspire, entertain,
motivate, communicate ideas.  Are you saying those things don't have what
you call "functional value"?  Please explain.

> >> I believe copyright law (and, more importantly, popular
> >> misconceptions about copyright law) needs to be modified to become
> >> reasonable.  It may have been rational before, when it could be assumed
> >> that distribution required production.  But since the costs of these
> >> things have dropped, and the prices haven't, there is every reason to
> >> believe that rather than exercising any "right to profit", corporate
> >> media owners are under the impression they have a right to profiteer.
> >
> >Production and distribution *costs* do not impact rights granted under
> >copyright law.
>
> No, but they do impact what is a "fair profit".  I realize there are
> some people who blithely insist there is no such thing, and it seems
> obvious to me that such people are immoral.  Are you immoral?

No, I am not immoral.  I am the one who has stated my opinion that it is
wrong to steal an artist's music (based on my moral beliefs btw).  You are
the one who keeps avoiding taking a stance on this issue.

> >Just becasue those costs have tended to zero when the
> >Internet is the distribution channel does not mean the value of the IP
has
> >changed in any way, shape or form.
>
> BZZZZ.  Let's try this again: intellectual property *is not* a
> metaphysical substance.  "It" *has no value*, by nature.  And, yes, OF
> COURSE driving the cost of reproduction and distribution to zero means
> the value of the IP tends towards zero.  Why on earth wouldn't it?

Repeat after me:  Because they are NOT related!!!!!  Which ticket (each
printed on the exact same size of paper at the exact same cost) has more
value - a ticket to the Louvre or a ticket to my basement to see my drawings
from elementary school?  Now let's assume the cost of that paper ticket to
the Louvre went to zero.  By your logic you are saying the value of entering
the Louvre is zero?  Again, absurd.  The value of entering the Louvre
relates to the value of the IP in the Louvre.  It has nothing to do with the
physical costs of the ticket to get in, the costs to maintain the physical
buildings in the complex, the salaries of the employess, etc. etc. It has
everything to do with the inherent value of the IP inside the Louvre.

God I wish I could stop replying to your stupid
posts..........................I'm going to try real hard not to anymore.

------------------------------

From: "Ned Harkey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linus for a 386????
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 00:09:10 -0500

An even better "floppy" Linux is "Tom's Root Boot Disc" - "The most Linux
you can get on a single floppy!"

http://www.toms.net/~toehser/rb/
http://tv.deadbeatclub.com/

"Mike Sabin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> If you can't fit the base debian install, I think you should check out
> http://sunsite.dk/mulinux/  for mulinux.  It's a floppy-based distro,
> but quite an impressive feat, IMHO.
>
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:09:37 GMT, BoogerT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I have a 386 with a 41 meg harddrive and 8 megs of RAM.  What would be a
good
> >linux distro for this machine which would allow me to access the
Internet,