From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.
Date: 14 Jun 2001 01:05:58 GMT

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:49:52 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> flatfish+++ wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:57:02 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I wonder what ever happened to using ctrl-alt-+ or - to change the
>> >screen resolutions on the fly??
>>
>> That's assuming X is installed properly to begin with.
>>
>> Hitting those keys when all that is displayed is a bright white screen
>> does nothing.
>>
>> flatfish+++
>> "Why do they call it a flatfish?"
>
> My old copy of slackware 3.5 allowed for many different resolutions and
> worked nice.
> The later versions of Linux seem to have omitted this feature.

The latest (stable) Debian allows for it, but I only use one
resolution, and thats 1024*768.

Ive set up X in Debian (a trivial affair) to display only
this resolution.

Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux.
Free Micro burner: http://jsno.downunder.net.au/terry/
** Registration Number: 103931,  http://counter.li.org **

------------------------------

From: Greg Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Here's a switch for a change
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 01:12:13 GMT

says...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Greg Cox wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >says...

> >> In the windows EULA, it says that if you don't agree to it, you should
> >> return it for a refund, which M$ refuses to pay. If I bought a radio
> >> which turned out to be a piece of sh!t, I'd return it, but I can't seem
> >> to do the same thing with windows, why is that Eric?
> >>

> >Why is this so hard for people to understand?  If you buy Microsoft
> >software at a retail store and the EULA says you can return it for a
> >refund then you can return it for a refund either at the store you got
> >it from or directly from Microsoft.  As far as I know no one has ever
> >been denied a refund in this retail situation.
>
> You've obviously never heard of Windows Refund day then.  I think it
> was last year when a guy in australia bought a Toshiba laptop, and
> took back the windows for a refund.  The store *refused*.  He took
> it up with Toshiba.  Toshiba *refused*.  He ended up taking the
> issue to Toshiba's headquarters, afairc, before getting anywhere.
>
> He certainly did not get anything from Microsoft, they *refused*,
> saying it was Toshiba's problem, and nothing from the store.

Exactly.  It IS Toshiba's problem.  That's one of the responsibilities
Toshiba took on, along with support, for getting a cheap price on the OS.
It's part of the OEM contract between Microsoft and Toshiba.

> > If you bought a computer
> >that had Microsoft software included with an OEM based EULA then you need
> >to go to the manufacturer of the computer to get a refund.  This is the
> >exact same situation I was in when I bought my Toyata pickup.  It had a
> >radio as standard equipment.  I didn't want it (I wanted a Clarion
> >radio/CD player instead) and asked for a refund.  The dealer not only
> >said they wouldn't give me a refund for a standard equipment item but
> >would have to charge me mechanic's time to remove the radio.  Do you
> >honestly believe the manufacturer of my pickup's radio is responsible to
> >give me the refund if I ask for it?
>

> You don't need to have the radio removed, just order the vehicle without
> the radio fitted.  In any area other than Microsoft's, this is possible.

No, I couldn't do that.  What part of "standard equipment" didn't you
understand?  It is not possible to order that vehicle without a
factory installed radio.  This is very common in the US, especially for
Japanese vehicles.

> The problem with PCs is that Microsoft have forced most if not all
> major vendors to pay them a sum of money when they sell a pc, whether
> it has windows installed or not.  This means that the manufacturers of
> these machines simply do not ship without windows.  In the case of
> a car and a radio, you have a choice.  When Microsoft are involved,
> you have no choice.

As per the explination above, my analogy fits the situation.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 14 Jun 2001 01:11:17 GMT

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:19:23 +0200, Mart van de Wege <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> He said that he tried your advice, but later said that the link didnt
>> work, and you have just supplied the correct link.
>>
>> Anyone still in doubt re Flatties sincerity ?
>>

> Uh no sorry Terry,

Darn, now I have to apologise to Flatty <sigh>.

> The superfluous s in the above quote was inadvertently added by me,
> unless you were thinking of something else?
> I must admit though that flattie changes his/her tune so often, I am a
> bit confused. At least he/she has better manners than some trolls (J.J.
> or C.M. come to mind)

Thats true, Flatty *can* be pleasant, but at times he will be quite rude,
unless of course its not him, but when you have so many fake id's, who
can be sure? The onus is on Flatty to prove otherwise.

Anonymous Wintrolls have ZERO credibility on COLA.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 14 Jun 2001 01:13:07 GMT

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:09:22 GMT, flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 13 Jun 2001 11:11:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
> wrote:
>

>>He said that he tried your advice, but later said that
>>the link didnt work, and you have just supplied the correct link.
> The first link worked.
> The advice at the link didn't work.
> The second link didn't work.
> Removing the "s" from laptop(s) made it work.
> The advice still doesn't work and in fact I included all the config
> editing necessary to attempt to make it work.

Opps ... dear anonymous Wintroll, please forgive me, I was wrong and you
wern't lying as I claimed.

>>Anyone still in doubt re Flatties sincerity ?
>
> Anyone still doubt that you can't read?

Er, probably not now.

From: Greg Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 01:17:55 GMT

In article <9g91b0$jb3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Greg Cox wrote:
> > >
> > > In article
> > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> VC6.0

> > > Then go to http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/sp/vs6sp5/ordering.asp and
> > > order the service pack on CD for a service charge of a whole $5.
> > > --
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > Thank you.  That helps.  Funny they must have an awful lot of screwups
> > to download 175Mb tho.
>
> Their service packs are accomalutive. (Meaning that SP5 include all other SP
> as well)
>
> Did you try DX8? 130MB. And .NET SDK is about this size as well.

Also, the 133MB service pack you saw includes the whole Visual Studio
product, not just VC++.  It looks like Microsoft didn't package up a
smaller service pack just for VC++.

From: "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gadget-lover's product suggestion:  "Linux Home Server"
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:22:45 +1200

I was also just going to suggest that with this server, they allowed
people to hook up dumb clients to the server and allow the graphics to
be displayed via the xserver to the client, thus, locate the server
somewhere, and put a dumb terminal in each of the kids room.  Not only
does it make setup easier, but it ensures that the kids don't screw up
settings etc.  Also, in the server, have a tv tunor so that the kids can
also watch television on their dumb terminals. Music is possible, as the
latest SUN Ray Appliances allow people to play and listen to music via
the thin client.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Debian 2.2r2, I *love* you! (longish)
Date: 14 Jun 2001 01:20:05 GMT

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:37:27 -0600, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 13 Jun 2001 23:32:07 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
> wrote:
>
>>> The install went flawlessly then.  So, I learned my lesson, that I should ftp
>>> the ISO and burn the damned thing instead of screwing around with the ftp
>>> install option.  Or, just download the minimum required files to a DOS
>>> partition.  When it's installed, and your minimal installation works
>>> correctly, THEN you can screw around with the ftp installation of the rest of
>>> the distributions you need.
>>
>>I'll bear that in mind, as I *will* be trying FreeBsd.
>
> FWIW www.cheapbytes.com has the FreeBSD v4.3 install CD for $5.

Thats excellent, but as I have no d/l limit with my ISP, I think
I will ftp it. With Linux and auto resume this works really well:)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 01:28:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Terry Porter wrote:

> [...]
>ten boxes to check here.
>12/ Swap CD's when asked
>13/ Assign root password
>14/ Assign first user name and password
>
>Done!
>
>Approx 14 steps and one reboot, after all, we are installing
>the OS here!
>
>Then I told Debian to install some packages not installed
>in the 'simple' option. One was 'Xchat' my IRC client, and here's
>the log of the entire process :)

>My CLI Command :- gronk:/home/tp# apt-get install xchat
>
>Reading Package Lists... Done
>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>The following extra packages will be installed:
>  python-base xchat-common
>The following NEW packages will be installed:
>  python-base xchat xchat-common
>0 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 36 not upgraded.
>Need to get 1374kB of archives. After unpacking 4403kB will be used.
>
>( I just press enter here)
>Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
>
>Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main python-base
>1.5.2-10potato11 [824kB]
>
>Get:2 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main xchat
>1.4.3-0.1[383kB]
>
>Get:3 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main xchat-common
>1.4.3-0.1 [167kB]
>
>Fetched 1374kB in 7m26s (3079B/s)
>selecting previously deselected package python-base.
>(Reading database ... 28737 files and directories currently installed.)
>Unpacking python-base (from .../python-base_1.5.2-10potato11_i386.deb) ...
>Selecting previously deselected package xchat-common.
>Unpacking xchat-common
>(from .../xchat-common_1.4.3-0.1_all.deb) ...
>
>Selecting previously deselected package xchat.
>Unpacking xchat (from .../xchat_1.4.3-0.1_i386.deb) ...
>Setting up python-base (1.5.2-10potato11) ...
>
>Setting up xchat-common (1.4.3-0.1) ...
>
>Setting up xchat (1.4.3-0.1) ...
>
>gronk:/home/tp#
>
>Is this simple or what ???????
>
>As you can see, to install Xchat I needed to type only *1* line,
>and press enter twice :-
>
>gronk:/home/tp# apt-get install xchat
>
>and
>
>Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
>
>And Debian fetched the app from its main site, plus the python base
>and installed it, *AND* added it to the *IceWm menu*, all automatically!
>
>Plus while it was doing it, I was reading news groups, the pc wasnt
>affected at all.
>
>The price for this innovative operating system ?
>
>Was it $2850 (gst inc) for the OS plus 5 Client Access?
>(source APC magazine June 2001, Harris Technology, for Win2k
> Small Business Server)
>
>But wait, send no money ......
>
>Was it $607 for the OS only ?
>(same source Win2k "Professional")
>
>But wait, theres still more .....
>
>I get "remote assistant" (Win2k Proffesional ONLY) and I can have
>as many clients as I like :)
>
>So how much did I pay ??
>
>$16,and that included 3 CD's and the 176 page book

Yip me too.

Debian is the ONLY way anybody should go if your going to
use Linux for anything other than a novelty.

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just For Fun
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:32:34 +1200

Pip, its a bloody miracle, post on the 13/6/01 and now its 14/6/01, and
I see no "Linux is communist", or "Linux is a hippie OS", or Flatfish
trying to say Linux is gay because it has [obscene feature], or Aaron
say, "I hope that helps", or Jon bring a 3 year old benchmark out to
prove something, Chad some how linking the realiablity of Linux to the
way Solaris handles updates.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: B. P. Uecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:37:43 -0500

Bob Hauck wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:44:30 -0500, B. P. Uecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> ... This is something that kids
>> who cram for the IIS exam know--and it's about as difficult to figure
>> out as reading the documentation.  I guess that's not your department
>> either, right?  You could even just stumble across it going through
>> the configuration dialogs in the ISM.  Really sad.
>
>Yes, I'm a dumbass and you are superior.  Do you feel better now?

No, we're really back to square one.  I'm not so shocked that you
couldn't figure this out (and I don't think you're a dumbass based
just on this)--although too many techies use the documentation as an
absolute last resort and bother everyone else with basic questions.
But I am appalled that she couldn't come up with the answer.  She's
not an admin--she just gets paid like one.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 01:37:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Maynard Handley wrote:

>if you look at my original post, my point was my claim that this lack of a
>single-button way to move an old machine to a new machine has a
>demonstrable economic effect, that there is a substantial base of
>consumers out there who are wealthy enough to buy a new system, and
>willing to buy a new system, but could not be bothered to do so because
>the cost (in TIME) of moving everything from one machine to the next is
>too high; and that by fixing this MS (with money from Intel in necessary,
>since Intel wins as much as MS) could do as much as anything else to
>improved their revenue stream.
>
>Since then I have not read a single post since then that makes me change
>my mind. I have, however, once again had a chance to view just how
>fundamentally out of touch with reality your average Linux zealot is.
>
>Maynard

Maynard,

It's the other way around old boy.

See, I don't ever bother to advocate Linux at the workplace because
I don't need to start an argument with appliance operators.

They don't write OS's they just use them.

And since HP is using Linux as the basis for their next generation
of OS's on mainframes, so's IBM, we don't have to debate with them.

They will just appliance operator feed right onto the Linux platform
whether they like it or not.

So to make the statement that the average Linux zealot as you put it
is an idiot is extremely foolish.  They are simply just telling
the way it's going to be.  There not giving you a fucking chance
to change your mind here.

You will just use Linux or you can pack your bags and go on down
the road with Microsoft.

Hope this helps!

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:38:34 +1200

Stuart Fox wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9g681i$71i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>>Just to note, http://www.xtramsn.co.nz/ which is a joint venture between
>>Xtra, New Zealands largest ISP and MSN, The site www.xtramsn.co.nz is
>>running Netscape-Enterprise/3.6 SP3 on Solaris, this a company that is, in
>>theory, meant to be the official New Zealand partner in e-commerce and
>>internet inferstructure, yet the still retains a nice fleet of SUN
>>
> servers.
>
>>Reliable, flexible and ready to rumble, as in the words of the Microsoft
>>"enterprise" ad on CNN.
>>

> You don't perchance think that they just threw that page up on a server that
> Xtra already had?  Is that in the realms of possibility?

They also could have setup a make-shift server running Windows 2000
Server.  One also must remember what they use as their internal servers
vs. their relationship between EDS and Microsoft.

Don't you also find it a bit of a coincidence that when Tranz Rail moved
their sever farm from UNIX to NT, the number of accidents and deaths in
the rail yards increase rapidly, even though the amount of haulage has
stayed constant?

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: B. P. Uecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:40:32 -0500

Bobby D. Bryant wrote in <9g5tk7$r1v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>In article <3b265951$0$2676$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jon Johansan"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Weird - what are you on?
>
>Reality.
>
>Bobby Bryant
>Austin, Texas

No, he's from Austin, he's been eating the roadkill again.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Jan Johanson and racism.
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 01:39:50 GMT

In article <qVAV6.789$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Stephen S. Edwards II wrote:
>> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>"Boris Dynin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:Id2O6.14224$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> > Aside from the ususal Flat Fish you can find posting to COLA
>> > with their rediculous arguments, we have Jan Johanson
>> > and {HER?} rediculous arguments also.
>> >
>> > Posts every 2-5 minutes for 18 straight hours a day 7 days
>> > a week.  You can mainly find Jan Johanson on COLA!
>> >
>> > I figured she'd be a tremendous hit with the Rush fans!
>> >
>> > And speaking of Rush fans, we now have MS crossposting
>> > to COLA from RACISTS GROUPS!  This is truely fun reading
>> > and has much to do with Linux VS MS.
>> >
>> > Until next time then!  From the wild, wild world
>> > COLA where Linux reighs, this is the PAID WINTROLL REPORT!
>
>> Charlie Ebert - ass headed idiot. You are a joke Charlie. Your laughable
>> posts only harm Linux or whatever your cause it. Go get college degree
>> before you post on this newsgroup.
>
>Oh come on, Boris.  Give him a break.
>
>It's summertime, and 6th grade doesn't
>start for him for about three months.
>
>Just let him have his fun.

Whoops!  I'm sorry I missed this one kiddies!

Glad you liked my commentary.

I will pay more attention to you in the future should
you ever demonstrate a public interest again!

Bye bye!

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: IBM Goes Gay
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 01:44:07 GMT

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:31:08 +0100, Mark
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <9g78hr$t22$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Edward Rosten wrote:

> >6502 rules OK!

> 6809 is the only processor worth powering up...

Yeah!  And it lives on to the present day, as the 68HC11.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking