  Re: Software registration (mlw)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: 3 Apr 2001 11:50:20 GMT

On Tue, 03 Apr 2001 09:25:39 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said Les Mikesell in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Tue, 03 Apr 2001 04:24:44

>>> Well, see, the problem is you have a CPU, an inanimate object, *doing*
>>> things, but then you say that software cannot.  CPU's don't "follow"
>>> instructions "just like a cook may follow a cookbook".  That's a
>>> ridiculous idea, and I know you know way more about software than to
>>> think it holds up.  Care to try again?
>>
>>No, that was pretty close.
>
>Are you trying to tell me you accept this ridiculous idea?  A CPU is a
>cook, and software a recipe?  Where on earth did you come up with that?
>I mean, it makes perfect sense as a technical analogy, to explain to
>people "how computers/software work".  But as a legal abstraction to
>base copyright protection on?  That's crazy!

Well, compared to the current "code is a book, but it's not covered by
first amendment rights, and the CPU is a reader that has no right to
fair use", I think it's damn good!

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Date: 3 Apr 2001 11:55:08 GMT

On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 06:40:45 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said Les Mikesell in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 01 Apr 2001 23:07:14
>>"Jeffrey Siegal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>>
>>> It does not.
>>
>>Then by what claim can the FSF say that separately distributing a
>> 'user-does-the-link' kit where the usr obtains his own copy
>>of the GPL'd material is in any way a violation?
>
>Linking by definition cannot make a piece of software derivative.  It is
>in being literally "based on" the other work.  Unfortunately, software
>has a functional nature, as well as artistic integrity, so being "based
>on" becomes problematic.  The FSF believe that it includes writing a
>program which calls code in a library.  This makes the program
>derivative of the library, because the only reason anyone has for
>obtaining this software, in general, is because of its functionality.
>Therefore, to allow the author of the program to potentially profit from
>the functionality of the library is contrary to the purpose of
>copyright.
>
>The software becomes derivative when it is written, not when it finally

Here Max, is where you should graciously exit, stage left, because you
have no idea what you are talking about. There are very simple ways to
write the program so that it will work with multiple alternative libraries,
without any libraries on degraded mode, and to write it so that it may work
with any library that is conceivable in the future.

That would make the program derivative of something that DOESN'T exist when
the program is written, breaking causality.

I know you have said in the past that causality doesn't matter. Ask a lawyer.
--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Date: 3 Apr 2001 11:57:29 GMT

On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 22:21:22 -0700, Jeffrey Siegal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Isaac wrote:
>> My belief is that the FSF has no choice but to hold that untenable
>> position.  The alternative is that any of their code can be compiled
>> as libraries and plugins which can then be used with proprietary
>> closed source programs.
>
>The other alternative is to impose usage-based restrictions.  The FSF
>opposes those for philosophical reasons, but that's what hard choices
>are about.  They must pick one or the other.

The major problem is that the FSF already opted against usage-based
restrictions where it matters most: in the licenses' text.

That's one of the few things in the GPL that are written clearly ;-)
--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Date: 3 Apr 2001 12:01:40 GMT

On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 22:28:43 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said Isaac in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 02 Apr 2001 20:17:48 GMT;
>>On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 19:34:48 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>Said Jeffrey Siegal in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 01 Apr 2001

>>>No, please, barge in more often.  I didn't mean to offend you, I was
>>>just explaining the confusion.  Believe me, this is not an exclusive
>>>conversation; if it were only me and Les, neither of us would bother,
>>>for sure.
>>
>>I think your characterization of the argument as being about time travel
>>is a gross misrepresentation.
>
>It was a relatively flippant closing remark.  All by itself it would
>have to be wrong to be "grossly misrepresentative", and its not.  Les'
>thought experiment requires somebody to go into the past and write
>software which existed but was somehow not written.
>
>>The real point is that since the statute
>>defines derivative works as being based on one or more pre-existing works,
>>a program by definition cannot be derivative of a given library if it exists
>>before the library is even written.
>
>Other than very painfully extended special cases, the idea, as I
>remarked, is ludicrous.

It is technically simple, and it is done all the time.
It can't be ludicrous, because it's happening, and will continue to happen.
Technical ignorance is not a defense against reality.
>>Apparently you don't believe it to be possible to write such a program,
>>but most others know better.  For example I can write a program that can
>>use currently existing gimp plug-ins.  Assuming I write my program
>>correctly, it could also use gpl'd plug-ins that have yet to be written.
>
>Well, you might get lucky, but if your goal is to support an interface
>(gimp plug-ins) that has only ever existed previously in a GPL product,
>writing such a product would certainly bring up the question of whether
>your work is derivative of the GPL work.

It will not be derivative for several reasons:

a) Because if it would, then GNU grep is a derivative work of AT&T grep.
b) It is not derivative if it's based on a published spec. The spec is
   published. This has been done to death a bazillion times.
c) It's common practice. If that's infringing on a license, then every
   programmer has infringed on everyone's license.

--
Roberto Alsina

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Software registration
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 08:06:46 -0400

Pretty interesting reply, I'll have to read up about some of the points you
write.

--
I'm not offering myself as an example; every life evolves by its own laws.