  Re: Linux is just another Unix (yawn) (Bloody Viking)

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 17:27:31 -0700

As I understand it the Bible was written from Greek or Aramaic documents
translated into Latin.

Roger
AIRBORNE!

> Said billh in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:46:22 GMT;
> >"T. Max Devlin"
> >
> >> Well, the Catholics say that its "thou shalt not kill".  The "commit
> >> murder" phrasing is *definitely* revisionist.
> >
> >"*Definitely* revisionist", huh?  LOL!!!
> >
> >Do you know what it is in the original hebrew in which it was written.
Is

------------------------------

From: Salvador Peralta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 16:54:33 -0700

mm@mm quoth:

> speaking of KDE, I went to see what the fuss was all about, wanted
> to download KDE 2.1, when I followed the links, all what I found was
> zillions of RPM files in a directory, that the user is supposded to
> download one by one to install.

> are linux people that clueless? can't they least put everyone in one
> file to make it easier to download?

Can you explain the difference in level of difficulty between
selecting and downloading multiple files versus downloading one?
Any problem with the control key on your computer that you can't use
it to select multiple files in the graphical ftp clients on your
system?  While you are pondering, consider this:

Why should a user who doesn't want every single application that
comes with KDE be forced to download all of them in a single file?
isn't it a waste of time and bandwidth?

> or may be, I shudder to think of
> it, have an easy installer for this?

The graphical front end for the redhat package manager is nice.  So
are the auto updating facilities that come with some of the
commercial distributions like Mandrake.

I shudder to think about what might happen if you actually took the
time to learn your system before favoring us with these jewels of
ignorance.

> the problem I see with linux, is that programmers work very hard,
> but they fail at the end. Becuase they have no idea how to make
> things simpler for end users to install applications.

lol... Download the files that you want.  Test for dependencies.
Install. You can even do it all in one shot.  Exit X windows. type
'startx'.  Please explain to me how it is easier to upgrade every
application on your windows desktop and the environment itself?

> Linux desktop remains very weak compred to windows, lack of
> integration with applications, no consistant interface, hard to use
> and still needs much more polishing. I think it is now where windows
> 3.0 was. so I put windows desktop at about 5 years ahead of linux
> desktops. (linux desktop still can't figure how to make a decent
> file manager).

Which desktop is that?

> untill and unless a major commerical company takes on the task of
> making a real linux desktop, I see these attempts as KDE and GNOME
> as will always be lacking behind windows desktop.

With all due respect, until you take the time to learn the system, I
will see you as lacking the necessary experience to offer a valid
critique of it.

--

Salvador Peralta                   -o)
Programmer/Analyst, Webmaster      / \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (silverback)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 21:53:13 GMT

On Sat, 07 Apr 2001 18:31:27 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>sliverdick wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 07 Apr 2001 09:16:29 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>in
>Ideological

>think this

>have complete
>was motivated
>the workers
>control the

>> >Once again, Sliverdick proves that he's just throwing out "boogieman"
>> >terms that he really doesn't know that definition of.
>>
>> no idiot yer the one that is wrong
>
>Then tell us what your (erroneous) definition of Fascism is, sliverdick.

my definition is correct dofus

>> >What part of Islamic theology specifies the vertical integration of
>> >industry within the country.
>>
>> fascism is corporate rule dummy. Maybe you should educate yerself and
>
>It's more than that, idiot.

not by much it isn't. Corporate rule is one of its disquishing
charaterstics.

>> find out how many of those Iranian corporations are controlled by the
>> religious allyotahs.
>
>And your point is?
>
>By the way, it's Ayatollahs, ya moron.

oh gee a speel flame, oh well fuck off and die idiot.

>--
>Aaron R. Kulkis
>Unix Systems Engineer
>DNRC Minister of all I survey
>ICQ # 3056642
>
>K: Truth in advertising:
>       Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
>       Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,
>       Special Interest Sierra Club,
>       Anarchist Members of the ACLU
>       Left Wing Corporate Extremist Ted Turner
>       The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
>       Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,
>

>J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
>   The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
>   also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
>
>I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
>   challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
>   between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
>   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
>
>H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
>    premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
>    you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
>    you are lazy, stupid people"
>
>G:  Knackos...you're a retard.
>

>F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
>   adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
>
>E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
>   her behavior improves.
>
>D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
>   ...despite (C) above.
>
>C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
>
>B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
>   method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
>   direction that she doesn't like.
>
>A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

GDY Weasel
emailers remove the spam buster

For those seeking enlightenment visit the White Rose at

http://www.spiritone.com/~gdy52150/whiterose.htm

From: "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 19:51:35 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> speaking of KDE, I went to see what the fuss was all about, wanted to
> download KDE 2.1, when I followed the links, all what I found was
> zillions of RPM files in a directory, that the user is supposded to
> download one by one to install.

You can always get the CD if you don't want to download all the files:

http://www.kde.org/cdrom.html

And if you want to download, why one file at a time?   You can download
multiple files at once.  gftp and konqueror work great for this.  With
konqueror, just drag and drop the top level diectory.  And, of course, you
can always use mget with ftp.

> are linux people that clueless? can't they least put everyone in one
> file to make it easier to download? or may be, I shudder to think of it,
> have an easy installer for this?

Download the files all at once and then:

rpm -U *.rpm

> the problem I see with linux, is that programmers work very hard, but
> they fail at the end. Becuase they have no idea how to make things
> simpler for end users to install applications.

Try downloading the Windows desktop from MS.

> Linux desktop remains very weak compred to windows, lack of integration
> with applications, no consistant interface, hard to use and still needs
> much more polishing. I think it is now where windows 3.0 was. so I put
> windows desktop at about 5 years ahead of linux desktops. (linux desktop
> still can't figure how to make a decent file manager).

You obviously haven't used konqueror.   It is a much better file manager
the Windows explorer.

> untill and unless a major commerical company takes on the task of making
> a real linux desktop, I see these attempts as KDE and GNOME as will
> always be lacking behind windows desktop.

What is not real about Gnome and KDE?

Gary

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 01:00:01 +0100

667 Neighbor of the Beast wrote:

> Bloody Viking wrote:
> >
> > Anonymous ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >
> > : desktop market share
> >
> > : windows 92%
> > : linux 1%
> > : mac 4%
> >
> Actually, Linux is at 2%.

Rubbish:

Everyone knows that the official undisputed figure is 1.87675 % - and
I'd just like to add that I have just got two more cd's so this figure
_will_ increase.

Well ... really!

=====
= :-) (for the humour impaired)

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 01:10:17 +0100

Salvador Peralta wrote:

> I shudder to think about what might happen if you actually took the
> time to learn your system before favoring us with these jewels of
> ignorance.

You know quite well Salvador!
a) Beard Growth
b) Extra strength glasses
c) Those Corduroy slacks
d) Dream of PERL or BASH scripts
e) Attending AA meetings (Administrators Anonymous)
f) Start scratching Windows Installation CD's for fun
g) Actively volunteer for taking minutes during LUG meetings and
producing PHP scripts to display them in a variety of interesting garish
colour schemes.

...and finally...

h) Installing an early version of slackware to reminisce with the ways
things "used to be in the good 'old days"

...its a slippery slope we tread my friend, slippery indeedy.....

misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
From: Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 10:12:38 +1000

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> Mathew wrote:
> >=20
> > On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Gunner =A9 wrote:
> >=20
> > > On Tue, 3 Apr 2001 17:55:20 GMT, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wro=
te:

> > > But we can all agree, that arming the Afghanis to kick out the Russia=
ns
> > > was a good idea, right?
> > >
> > > 1. Gave the Russians a black eye they never recovered from.
> > > 2. Prevented their expansion into Turkey etc
> >=20
> > Turkey? Hehehehe You are a couple of thousand miles off;go look at a ma=
p.
>=20
> Turkey is just across the BLACK SEA, you moron.

I was refering to Afghanistan,Einstein.
Gunner was speculating the Ruskies would invade from Afghanistan.

>=20
> It's a VERY important piece of real estate for signals intelligence.

And Turkye has been allied with the U.S. since the Russian invasion of=20
Afghanistan.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 12:20:45 +1200

<snype>

I find it rather ammusing that a person who has been participating in
COLA for little over a few days has now made the conclusion that I am an
anit-Microosftie, well sorry sonny, I am not.  I have been using Microsoft
software since I purchased my Amiga.  The AmigaBASIC programming tool was
actually a pretty good language to work with.  Also, I have never said that
Microsoft sucks, I refer to there products, such as Windows and Office which
are majorly over priced and of inferior quality.Windows 2000 for example, the
GUI STILL CRASHES when Netscape 6 chucks a hissey fit, Explorer still crashes
when I try to copy a large number of files while at the same time surf the
web and listen to a CD.  The OS is bloated, I have a copy of Redhat Linux
installed, which is taking up 972MB, which is around 200MB more than Windows,
however, I get compilers, development tools, an Office Suite, Netscape
Communicator, a graphic manipulator, 15 games, various networking utilities,
and lots more.  If that is what you call superior software, I would hate to
know your example of inferior software.  Office is another bone of
contention, $1300 +GST for a copy of Office 2000! what a rip off.  I have
been using Office since Office 95, and none of the problems have been fixed.
For example, poor anti-aliasing on Wordart (and supposidly, the OS is meant
to have native anti-alias support), poor handling of graphics, why can't
I move the graphic around the page like Lotus Word Pro and Wordperfect?  Poor
anti-alias support for graphics, Crashing when opening up a highly graphical
document, whilst Word Pro and Wordperfect opens those sorts of document
without any fuss.

So, WGAF, please get your facts right and do a bit of research on my views
regarding Microsoft.  If you are going to bring up the argument "if Linux is
superior why don't people adopt it", well, that too can be part of your
little research project, as I have also expressed my view in that area.

Matthew Gardiner

--
Disclaimer:

I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you do not like it go: [rm -rf /home/luser] and
have a nice day :)

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 01:18:08 +0100

"mm@mm" wrote:
> [stuff]

Does windows not supply you with a spelling checker? How about a grammar
checker?

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 00:20:25 GMT

"Roger Perkins"

> As I understand it the Bible was written from Greek or Aramaic documents
> translated into Latin.

Greek was the operative language when the texts of the new testament were
written.

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 01:20:48 +0100

WGAF wrote:

> As oppose to a lin-advocate for whom quality doesn't matter as long as the
> software isn't from Microsoft, right?

You see... now you're getting the hang of things my boy!

[recites the "down with M$" chant]

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <jspl@jsplom>
Subject: Re: MS and ISP's
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 20:24:37 -0400

"Ed Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> 667 Neighbor of the Beast  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Bob Hauck wrote:

> >> There are laws on the books against "dumping" in order to drive your
> >> competition out of business.  Which was exactly what MS was trying to
do
> >> to Netscape.
> >>
> >Yes not only that but it is totally illegal to offer SW for free or at
> >steep discount if you promise to, say, convert 75% of your users to
> >IE, if you promise to only support IE, if you promise to put
> >IE-specific stuff on your web page, etc.  That is an exclusive
> >agreement, and they are all illegal.
>
>     Not all exclusive agreements are illegal according to the Courts.
>
>     Such agreements often encourage competition to pop up to offer
>     alternatives.  This is normal and to be anticipated eagerly.
>
>     The agreements are illegal when used by a monopoly holder to
>     strengthen or extend that monopoly.  Both of which MS did with their
>     agreements.
>
>     There are no hard numbers beneath which a monopoly cannot exist and
>     must be exceeded to guarantee monopoly.  Actions, like exclusive
>     contracts, which can be legal for non monopolies may be deemed anti-
>     competitive when done by a monopoly holder.

That assumes there are any software companies on earth who hold a monopoly
on anything. All of your statements above are void because MS doesn't hold a
monopoly on anything..... especially operating systems.

>     MS is using copyright laws to declare that they have a legally
>     granted monopoly because no other company is allowed, by law, to
>     produce their own version of Windows.

Owning the Windows code isn't a "monopoly" on operating systems. Market
share doesn't determine that your a monopoly either. Microsoft Windows could
be on every computer on earth. And even if no other OS existed, MS wouldn't
even be close to having a monopoly on operating systems. My power company
has a miniscule fraction of the energy market share. Yet they are a full
blown monopoly.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: Chimp in TV program downloads Linux to talk
Date: 8 Apr 2001 00:26:39 GMT

Kelsey Bjarnason ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: So let's put this in context.  Who are the Lone Gunmen?  They're a group of
: socially inept ultrageeks with an extreme paranoia about business and
: government being "out to get" them, and the little guy in general.  Now
: certainly not all Linux users fit that category, but if you look around,
: there do seem to be a few vocal ones who do.  You draw the conclusion about
: the choice of picking Linux for the show. :)

The funny part is that a chimp is easier to convert to Linux than the Windows
sheeple. Would you rather be an ape or a sheep?

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: Salvador Peralta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why does Open Source exist, and what way is it developing?
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 17:50:23 -0700

Goldhammer quoth:

>>I stand corrected.  You flippantly dismissed 4 of the 19th century's
>>most influential thinkers
>

> Nietzche? I would grant that he became influential
> in the 20th century after he was adopted as the
> philosophical mascot of the Nazis. I wouldn't
> put him on a list of "the 19th century's most
> influential thinkers", but hey, that's just my
> opinion.

Nietzsche's idea that it is possible, even desirable to create
positive, existentially quantifed value systems even after
systems based on universal truths have broken down has endured
because much of human progress in this century is based on the
recognition that "truths" that appear to be universally quantified,
be it Christian ethics, or Newtonian physics, or whathaveyou, break
down under certain circumstances and in breaking down reveal
themselves to be existential and relative, rather than universal in
nature.  In that sense, Nietzsche is both precursor and brother to
minds like Heisenberg, Picasso, Einstein, and is a seminal part of
the historical meme that has yielded many of the truly great
innovations of the 20th century.

> Really there is no need for drama nor "interpretation."
> How I "did it" was quite plain: I branded them as
> overrated or inept.

And in doing so gave credit only to the size of your own ego.  A
mouse nipping at the heels of giants.

>>As for Darwin's sloppy method... every single paragraph cites
>>references in the literature available to him at the time...
>

> No doubt you are referring to
> well-referenced bits of scholarship
> like these:

<snip>

No, simply to the fact that every paragraph written in descent of
man contains a reference to the body of scientific literature
available to him at the time.  Darwin was a bigot.  This is merely a
footnote next to his historical contribution.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: Linux is just another Unix (yawn)
Date: 8 Apr 2001 00:41:58 GMT

Haakon Meland Eriksen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: GNU/Linux is a kernel under the GNU General Public License. Please
: reread the license that came with this product, and consider the
: license's importance in education and software development in rich and
: poor countries all over the world.

Linux is the kernel, the last ingredient of a complete GNU OS. Given the look
n' feel, it's easy to see how people use Linux and UNIX sa synonyms given the
amount of GNUware found on UNIXes.