From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Street)
Subject: Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:58:35 GMT

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:14:09 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>chrisv wrote:

>> >Yeah, just like Patton.
>>
>> Kooklis has delusions of adequacy.  OUTED!
>
>Must be why the Army insists that all field equipment be camo'd, right?

So why do they camoflague their gear....?

79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
The other 42% are made up later on.
In Warwick - looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Street)
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:58:34 GMT

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:02:05 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> drivelled:

>I implied no such thing.

Re read your post then try again

>I said "grep is your friend"

see comment above

>That was a *hint*, not an authoritative answer.  Note that I
>made NO mention of what to grep *for*.

You were asked to give an answer, not a hint.

>That was left as an exercise for the reader.

That was left as an excercise for you

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:03:34 -0600
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Bill Gates Is Ramming His Thick Meaty Cock Up Torvald's Weak Mincing
Ass
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.hackers.malicious

t. max dumbass eeped:
>Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Fri, 6 Apr 2001 03:19:52
>   [...]
>>microsoft's products have always been less stable than unix. always.
>>yet they are still gaining market share.
>>wazzapwiddat c?
>
>Monopolization.  Per-processor licensing, predatory development,
>predatory pricing, anti-competitive FUD.  The works.

so what you're saying is gates crushed unix by sheer force of evil?

>>> Microsoft
>>> picked a very bad time, also, to lean on big customers whom they think
>>> aren't playing by the rules WRT licenses
>>> (http://www.internetweek.com/newslead01/lead032901.htm).
>>
>>a corporation concerned with profit?
>>shocked i tel u...
>
>A corporation which is profitable fucking their customers?  Yes, we are
>a bit shocked, or would be if we weren't that naive.

actually you linux commie faggots are the ones getting fucked and your
shit is so weak gates ain't even givin ya a reacharound.

>>> Oh sure, the
>>> license is the law here; Microsoft is winning the war on piracy, but
>>> they are now losing customers.
>>
>>prove this claim.
>
>How?

it's your claim fuckface. now prove it or slit your wrists as jesus
commands.

>>> Also, did you know that Microsoft did in fact try to use Windows NT to
>>> host its Hotmail system, and it failed miserably? When a vendor is
>>> afraid of using their own product, Rauni, that tells people something.
>>
>>what impact will it have on microsoft's bottom line if every website that
>>does hotmail volume switches to unix?
>>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>>
>>men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
>>more even than death
>>- bertrand russell
>
>You're starting to get annoying.  You are obviously not simply a
>clueless troll.

heh heh heh heh heh

>That means you're probably a sock puppet.

guess again

>You know what we do to sock puppets in alt.destroy.microsoft, Jackie?
><*chuckle*> <*snicker*>

weep in thier general direction?
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

rhetorical

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So much for modules in Linux!
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:03:28 -0400

"Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:WUSA6.6598$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I'm using SuSE 7.1 Personal after all my struggles with Mandrake 7.2.
>
> That is not to say there aren't any problems. There are.
>
> In order to get my network working I'm currently starting up DHCP
manually.
> I descovered that SuSE telephone support doesn't cover anything except
> basic installation. Apparently, getting your network up is not considered
> basic. Oh well.

[Networking Swan Song snipped]

> What happens if I install Windows? I have to install device drivers for
> these network cards. Then I set up one as DHCP, one as a fixed address.
> Then it just works. Funny that, isn't it. If I want something that just
> works, use Windows. If I want something that almost works (but requires
> more investigation) then use Linux.

Well, Windows will certainly enable your desires to be had for much less of
an investment in time.
But when something goes wrong, which it will, what then? Hours on the KB? A
complete reinstall?
It may take you a bit more effort to obtain the desired results under Linux
\BSD, but the payoff is that once it's up and running, you're essentially
done. -Known as 'set it and forget it'

> There's an article about SuSE 7.1 is a "windows killer"
> (http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/3052/1/). I'm sorry, but
> with this kind of nonsense, Windows is safe. Microsoft have nothing to
> worry about. Linux is still playing catch up.

Anyone who thinks that any present Linux distro is a 'windows killer' needs
to get back in their spaceship and search the galaxy for a clue.

------------------------------

From: Alexis Cousein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.arch
Subject: Re: IA32, was an advocacy rant
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:23:39 +0200

Nick Maclaren wrote:

>   And the
> rumours are that the Itanic 733 (the only one that any outsider has
> seen) will give a 266 MHz Pentium II a run for its money ....

That is, of course, using the Whistler beta, IA32 code, and whatever
IA32 emulation layer was running in that particular one -- and without
recompilation at all.

You're making it sound (disingenuously, as you do know better) as if
IA64 code compiled with the newer compilers on a decent operating
systems will have the same speed.

--
Alexis Cousein                          Senior Systems Engineer
SGI Belgium and Luxemburg               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thore B. Karlsen)
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:31:20 GMT

On 11 Apr 2001 09:04:05 -0300, Roberto Selbach Teixeira
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> It _is_ hard to configure, unless you happen to be so insane as to
>> like the emacs defaults. I don't. I don't dismiss emacs as being
>> useless, but the emacs defaults are so far off from anything I would
>> consider useful that it just takes too much work to get it to work
>> _with_ me, instead of _against_ me. Emacs out of the box is just as
>> annoying to me as the Microsoft Office paper clip. It just tries to
>> do too much. The difference is that the Office assistant is
>> intelligent enough to understand when it's not wanted, while emacs
>> isn't.

>Maybe you just don't know "Customize". Try using it to configure Emacs
>and you will see how "difficult" it is. Customize offers a interface
>for customization that don't require a single line of code or to edit
>a file. The user doesn't even have to know in which file the
>customization goes.

Don't patronize me. Of course I know about customize. First of all it sucks,
and second -- it's not enough. You need more modification than just fiddling
around in customize to make emacs useable.

>As for Emacs defaults, I agree with you that they are not the best for
>everyone. But all you have to do is using the menu Options->Customize
>Emacs to change the whole thing.

Not "the whole thing". Absolutely not.

>> vim is _very_ easy to configure. You have good help files that are
>> easy to maneuver, and the customization screens in emacs don't hold
>> a candle to the ease of use and maneuverability of the corresponding
>> screens in vim.

>Vim requires the user to edit configuration files which use a very
>obscure syntax. As for documentation, try Help->Read the Emacs Manual
>to see a real good documentation.

Have you tried :options? Apparently not.

--
"By the time we've finished with him, he won't know whether
he's Number Six or the cube root of infinity!"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: 11 Apr 2001 14:22:19 GMT

I think blaming Microsoft for the downturn is no more rational than
crediting them with the bull market. Microsoft has been just another
boat carried on the tides of Moore's Law and cheap bandwidth.

I think the current downturn is more a result of the y2k spending
bubble finally running out than any particular company's actions.

As for Microsoft running out of ideas... Microsoft hasn't been much of
an innovator in their entire history. They started out producing
competant software development tools for CP/M and a mediocre but well
marketed Basic for home computers. Then they copied CP/M, copied the
Mac, copied VMS and UNIX, Netscape and Palm... Everything they've
produced has been done elsewhere... and generally better. Their
strength is cross-marketing and positioning products, not the products
themselves.

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS and ISP's
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:42:40 -0400

Brent R wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
> > Considering that Mafia$oft has NEVER created even an adequate
> > OS, let alone a "world-class" one, the premise of your statement
> > is false.
>
> Considering that you actually use the term "Mafia$oft" and use it ad
> nauseum, the credibility of your statement is negligible.

I'm making a point.

Study the use of repetition, in fact the NEED for repitition, to
get get through to most people.

> --
> - Brent
>
> http://rotten168.home.att.net

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
From: Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:51:24 +1000

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> Mathew wrote:

> > > both are built on state control of the economy and setting certain
> > > groups up as elitists leaders.  Germany had Hitler; Italy has Mussolini
> > > and russia had Stalin.
> >
> > So notorious Latin American, fascist dictators, such as Pinochet,were
> > really communists.
>
> Spot the strawman....
>
> You don't seem to get it, do you
>
> Communism and Nazism are ideological "kissing cousins".
>

> That doesn't meant that they are the same...it means that they
> are closer to each other, in ideology, in form, and in practice,
> than either one is ANY other form of governance.

So Pinochet was actually a communist who was put in power and supported
by the Nixon administration.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Something like Install Shield for Linux?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:46:16 -0400

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> [snips]
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bob Hauck"
>
> > Do you usually use apt and rpm on the same machine?  No.  Do you usually
> > use the whole collection of old formats on the same machine?  Yes.
>
> Right; I use HTML and TXT and DOC and MDB, and not a one of them is
> interchangeable.  I also use Wise and InstallShield and MSI and not a one
> of them is interchangeable.  Not surprising, they're all from different
> vendors.  Big deal.
>
> > Do
> > both apt and rpm give you tools to find out what is installed and where
> > it is?  Yes.  Do the Windows installers give you these tools?  No
>
> So complain to InstallShield and Wise; they're the ones who made the
> installers.
>
> > However, to answer your other questions, you can in fact install both
> > apt and rpm on the same machine if you want to.
>
> Yes, but that wasn't quite the question; it was whether I could use apt
> tools to install, edit, and so on RPM packages and vice-versa - whether they're
> interchangeable.  See, if they're _not_, then we have the MSI +
> InstallShield + Wise situation all over again, with incompatible
> installers.  We _may_ actually have tools available to convert... but
> then again, if you really wanted that for Windows, why wouldn't you ask
> the people responsible for the formats to supply a tool?
>
> > was done.  On Linux, all of the package managers can give you this
> > information without the need of add-ons.
>
> This is now true of Win2K, WinME, Win98, NT4 and, IIRC, Win95 as well,
> with MSI.  See, the logic was to provide a standardized installation
> method, since apparently issues such as "don't put older DLLs on top of
> newer ones" was beyond the grasp of some install developers.  MSI manages

Translation: Most software for the Mafia$oft platforms is produced
by incompetants.

> that sort of crud for you.  Plus adds a mess of new things.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Selbach Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 11 Apr 2001 11:54:42 -0300

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 11 Apr 2001 09:04:05 -0300, Roberto Selbach Teixeira
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>> It _is_ hard to configure, unless you happen to be so insane as to
>>> like the emacs defaults. I don't. I don't dismiss emacs as being
>>> useless, but the emacs defaults are so far off from anything I
>>> would consider useful that it just takes too much work to get it
>>> to work _with_ me, instead of _against_ me. Emacs out of the box
>>> is just as annoying to me as the Microsoft Office paper clip. It
>>> just tries to do too much. The difference is that the Office
>>> assistant is intelligent enough to understand when it's not
>>> wanted, while emacs isn't.
>
>>Maybe you just don't know "Customize". Try using it to configure
>>Emacs and you will see how "difficult" it is. Customize offers a
>>interface for customization that don't require a single line of code
>>or to edit a file. The user doesn't even have to know in which file
>>the customization goes.
>
> Don't patronize me. Of course I know about customize. First of all
> it sucks, and second -- it's not enough. You need more modification
> than just fiddling around in customize to make emacs useable.

What can't you do with customize?

>>As for Emacs defaults, I agree with you that they are not the best
>>for everyone. But all you have to do is using the menu
>>Options->Customize Emacs to change the whole thing.
>
> Not "the whole thing". Absolutely not.

No? Example?

>>> vim is _very_ easy to configure. You have good help files that are
>>> easy to maneuver, and the customization screens in emacs don't
>>> hold a candle to the ease of use and maneuverability of the
>>> corresponding screens in vim.
>
>>Vim requires the user to edit configuration files which use a very
>>obscure syntax. As for documentation, try Help->Read the Emacs
>>Manual to see a real good documentation.
>
> Have you tried :options? Apparently not.

It's just like editing the configuration file.

--
Roberto Selbach Teixeira                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Conectiva, S.A.                            http://www.conectiva.com

You may think that there is nothing you need to know about Vi.
Don't fool yourself, there is at least one thing you positively
*have* to know about Vi:

Pressing lots of ESC's followed by ":q!<Ret>" will quit the damn thing.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 9 Apr 2001 10:59:06 -0500

On Mon, 09 Apr 2001 10:42:57 -0500, WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Well Aaron, the obvious has become VERY obvious.  You my friend, are a
>Windows 98 only user.  There is no camouflage, there is no security through
>obfuscation, there is no header string being changed, and there is certainly
>no truth to your shoddy claim.
>

>You see Aaron, if YOU could change the X-Mailer: as we have requested, you
>would have changed the string.  Your ego is too big not to do so.  If YOU
>could change that string you would have changed it a million times by now.
>Your ego is too big not to do so.
>
>It must be pretty embarrassing for you to have all the REAL Unix users in
>this group freely changing their X-Mailer strings at will, yet poor little
>Aaron cannot.
>
>The fat lady is singing, LOUDLY!
>
>(Aaron Kulkis - convicted full-time Windows 98 user)

Mr. Kulkis inability to even put a couple of strategically placed spaces in
his X-mailer line shows that he is incapable of doing so.  This post will
be followed by Mr Kulkis posting a command to JUMP!...but we aren't buying
that attempt at changing the subject.