Linux-Advocacy Digest #514, Volume #33           Wed, 11 Apr 01 15:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor (Dragan Cvetkovic)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor (Roberto Selbach
Teixeira)
  Re: Communism - Nazism... no significant differences ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day. ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: What Linux console? (Martigan)
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft (Eric Smith)
  BTW, what is Guffaw? ("Jokka")
  Re: Red hat becoming illegal? ("Jokka")
  Re: What Linux console? (Brian Langenberger)
  Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.

24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
From: Dragan Cvetkovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Apr 2001 14:10:24 -0400

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >         If I moved around from machine to machine a lot (which
> > I don't) then I would stick emacs with all my configuration and extra
> > packages and anything else that I wanted onto a CD-ROM, and run it off
> > there.
>
> In that case, you would have a lot of clients pissed at you.

Why? he is saying he is going to run it from CD-ROM. Nothing gets onto
client's hard disk.

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: 11 Apr 2001 18:11:08 GMT

billh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Roberto Alsina"

>and
>> >kill
>> >state

>human,
>> >
>> >LOL!!!  Incredulous.  You truly are clueless.
>>
>> How about this: "thou shall not kill" is a commandment from god unto
>> humans. Those commandments are intended to affect the behaviour of free
>> willing humans[1].However, god is not bound by that commandment,
>> and humans lacking free will are not bound by that commandment.
>
>The truer translation is "You shall not murder".  We've been through this.

If "murder" means "unlawful kill", then since the laws of aramaic tribes
in 2000BC are not at all like today's, the distinction is meaningless.

>> God has been known to regret his acts in the past[2], so god could
>> possibly be repealing, either for a period of time or permanently,
>> his previous order (the commandments). However, if we accept
>> that gos is ordering him to kill, he can not possibly be giving him
>> a false order, because god doesn't lie.
>
>To kill, yes.  To murder, no.
>

>> Thus, if a human kills under specific command from God, he is excepted
>> from the commandment, because he is excepted from it specifically by
>> god, the only one who can[3].
>>

>> Like it?
>
>LOL!!!
>
>> [1] If a human is not free willing, there is no need for god to give
>> him commandments, is there?
>>
>> [2] See covenant.
>>
>> [3] No lower authority can declare a commandment void, agreed?
>
>But the "lower authority" sure can misunderstand a commandment.  You are
>proof of that.  Thanks for the laugh.

The meaning of "murder" is locale-dependent. I seriously doubt God
would use such poor wording.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:08:06 -0400

Peter da Silva wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [I wrote]
> > > [Microsoft] started out producing
> > > competant software development tools for CP/M and a mediocre but well
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > You mispelled "BASIC interpreters stolend from DEC"
>
> I would never have referred to M80 and L80 as "Basic Interpreters".

Microsofts FIRST products were BASIC interpreters.

the CP/M development tools came later.

> --
>  `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
>   'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."
>                                                        -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>          Disclaimer: WWFD?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 11 Apr 2001 18:15:41 GMT

Roger Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Roberto, you are an ass.  You started out pretty good but now you are just
>another oxygen bandit making noise but saying nothing.

I thought you had "shut me out"? What happened, lack of will?
I suppose this post of yours is not "saying nothing", according
to some perverted standard, too.

You believe I "started pretty good" simply because the object of
my derision was Aaron, who you seem not to like. Since the differences
between you two are negligible to me, you are now getting several
spoonfuls of the medicine you so enjoyed Aaron drinking.

Of course then I am not "pretty good" anymore. That's a self-serving
double standard, but I am not too surprised.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Roberto Selbach Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 11 Apr 2001 15:18:38 -0300

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>   Aaron> Phillip Lord wrote:
>>   >>  >>>>> "Aaron" == Aaron R Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>   >>
>>   Aaron> Which means that as soon as your on a new machine, your
>>   Aaron> stuck editing WITHOUT your config file....
>>   >>
>>   Aaron> UGH.
>>   >>  This is why God invented NFS mounted home spaces.
>>   >>
>>   >> Phil
>>
>>   Aaron> And if your behind a corporate firewall which doesn't
>>   Aaron> permit NFS connections through it....
>>
>>         Fortunately god also invented floppy disks.
>>

> emacs that fits on a floppy. you're kidding, right?

There's one in Tom's boot :-)

--
Roberto Selbach Teixeira                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Conectiva, S.A.                            http://www.conectiva.com

May Emacs enlighten the lives of more and more unbelievers.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism - Nazism... no significant differences
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:16:27 -0400

Mathew wrote:

> > >    Aaron> Mathew wrote:
> > >    >>
> > >    >> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Sam A. Kersh wrote:
> > >    >>
> > >    >> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (silverback) wrote:
> > >    >> >
> > >    >> > >On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 01:24:34 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> > >    >> > ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >    >> > >
> > >    >> > >>Goldhammer wrote:
> > >    >> > >>>
> > >    >> > >>> On Mon, 09 Apr 2001 13:33:15 -0400,
> > >    >> > >>> Rob Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >    >> > >>>
> > >    >> > >>> > Right. Fascism is characterized by the *state-directed* control of
> > >    >> > >>> >the economy,
> > >    >> > >>>
> > >    >> > >>> Hmm. Sounds like communism.
> > >    >> > >>
> > >    >> > >>Precisely.
> > >    >> > >>
> > >    >> > >>Communism and Fascism are merely different sides of the same coin.
> > >    >> > >
> > >    >> > >bullshit you lying sack of shit. Fascism is the polar opposite of
> > >    >> > >communism. They have nothing in common.
> > >    >> >
> > >    >> > both are built on state control of the economy and setting certain
> > >    >> > groups up as elitists leaders.  Germany had Hitler; Italy has Mussolini
> > >    >> > and russia had Stalin.
> > >    >>
> > >    >> So notorious Latin American, fascist dictators, such as Pinochet,were
> > >    >> really communists.
> > >
> > >    Aaron> Spot the strawman....
> > >
> > >    Aaron> You don't seem to get it, do you
> > >
> > >    Aaron> Communism and Nazism are ideological "kissing cousins".
> > >
> > > Actually they have very different _ideologies_, it is the
> > > practice that is almost identical.
> >
> > In other words, a distinction without a difference.
>
> Of  course there were differences between Nazism and Communism
> When the Nazis were fighting to take over the world(or as much of it they
> could)how was  it different than the  Communists scheme to take over the
> world?

Thank you for admitting that there is no significant difference
between Nazism and Communism.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:16:36 -0400

WesTralia wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >

> > I tend to do this:
> >
> > Get a new job.  Write shell scripts to rectify all the common problems
> > After a couple months, write a few more shell scripts to go out and
> > diagnose the problems before they become "show-stoppers", which
> > then call the problem-rectifying scripts.
> >
> > After about 6 months, I'm bored to tears, because the machines totally
> > take care of themselves...so, I go find a new job (and MORE $$$$)
> >

> You write scripts to FIRST rectify the "problems" and then you
> write scripts to identify the problems?

Well, when I originally write the script, the problem has already
been identified (using my incredible intellect :-), so there is
no need to write immediately write a script to do that.

No...the more immediate problem is to solve the problem.

Once the problem is solved THEN you can start working on ways
for the system to automagically avoid the problem in the future.

> So basically, you start fixing something before you know what
> you are trying to fix?

See above.  The original problem-fixing scripts are written
AFTER the problem has been identified through "by hand" methods.

> Whoo-boy... Your tangled web of lies just gets messier and messier.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:16:40 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, silverback
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 11 Apr 2001 04:08:47 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> [snip]
>
> >take a good look around. The republiCONs are the fascists, they have
> >the same agenda.
>
> So give me some specifics?  I'm curious.

Well, when sliverdick goes to bed at night, he has nightmares that
George Bush is hiding under his bed.

Strangely, whenever he turns on the lights, and looks under the
bed....there's nothing there other than his semen-stained copies
of The Communist Manifesto and other Marxist diatribes that get
him all so giddy.

There's a connection there, but sliverdick can't see it.

> [snip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       5d:17h:19m actually running Linux.
>                     This space for rent.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:16:41 -0400

Brent R wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Brent R wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> > > <snip>

> > > So as a "UNIX administrator" you're running an insecure system right?
> > >
> > > Or you're lying.
> >
> > What I will tell you is that I'm *NOT* running Windows, and I'm *NOT*
> > running Netscape.
> >
> > hope that helps.
>
> Yeah, like I said, you're either running Windows 98 or you're running a
> (self-admitted by you) insecure system. Just what are you afraid of?

EVERY system that's on a network is insecure.

However some (*cough* WINDOWS *cough*) are much more insecure than what
I'm running.

> > > --
> > > - Brent
> > >
> > > http://rotten168.home.att.net
>
> --
> - Brent
>
> http://rotten168.home.att.net

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Martigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Linux console?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:33:26 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> Another Linux venture bites the dust.

        Well IMHO it is worthless for any Linux developers to go into the Game
councel area.  M$ is trying it and will have some luck because they have a
lot of money!  If you take all the linux distributions out there and sum up
there monitary worth they still wont equal M$.

        I don't like M$ but one must correctly judge their advisary!

------------------------------

From: Eric Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: 11 Apr 2001 11:35:27 -0700

Peter da Silva wrote:
> As for Microsoft running out of ideas... Microsoft hasn't been much of
> an innovator in their entire history. They started out producing
> competant software development tools for CP/M and a mediocre but well
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> You mispelled "BASIC interpreters stolend from DEC"

Having seen the source code for both DEC's and MS's BASIC interpreters,
I've seen no evidence that MS stole any of DEC's code.

And you misspelled "misspelled" and "stolen".

------------------------------

From: "Jokka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BTW, what is Guffaw?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:44:18 -0300

> >Your "ASF format Guffaw" only further demonstrates your ignorance.

n/t

------------------------------

From: "Jokka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:41:00 -0300

> At the end, we compressed them in all the major formats
(Quicktime -sucked,
> RealVideo -really sucked, and Windows Media ASF/MPEG3 which was by far
> the best quality and the smallest in size, ironically).
>
> Your "ASF format Guffaw" only further demonstrates your ignorance.

    Hmmmm I guess it's better for you to READ what you said:

"Windows Media asf/MPEG3" - Try it, focusing on the "MPEG" part  and and not
"Windows Media asf".

    MPEG is not a trademark neither a creation from M$, and it is widely
available for any OS.

    Jokka

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:58:50 +0000 (UTC)

Martigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Pete Goodwin wrote:

:> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/18233.html
:>
:> Another Linux venture bites the dust.
:>

: Well IMHO it is worthless for any Linux developers to go into the Game
: councel area.  M$ is trying it and will have some luck because they have a
: lot of money!  If you take all the linux distributions out there and sum up
: there monitary worth they still wont equal M$.

: I don't like M$ but one must correctly judge their advisary!

Most of us knew the Indrema didn't have much of a chance as a game
console, simply because attracting game developers requires the
sort of capital that small companies simply can't get.  As an
all-in-one entertainment box its odds were slightly better, but
there isn't much of a market for those yet.  So, like many other
consoles (Intellivision III, SNES-CD, M2, etc.) it'll go down as
a footnote of what might-have-been.

As for Microsoft, their chance of success in the console biz is
reasonable.  This is because they're shipping powerful hardware running
a standard architecture that's geared for ease-of-development.  However,
selling consoles is still no way to make a quick buck, nor is it a
place where monopolies can thrive for long - but the coming battles
for console market share should be interesting...

misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:01:03 GMT

   Aaron> Spot the strawman....
   >>
   Aaron> You don't seem to get it, do you
   >>
   Aaron> Communism and Nazism are ideological "kissing cousins".
   >>
   >> Actually they have very different _ideologies_, it is the
   >> practice that is almost identical.

   Aaron> In other words, a distinction without a difference.

In practical terms, that is what I said.  No other words needed.

Your words were, as usual, incorrect.

   >> Fascism is totalitarian in its ideology, communism is not.  However
   >> to get anywhere close to a communist economy the government has to
   >> become highly totalitarian.

   >> As it is practice that counts, the ideological difference is not
   >> relevant except in theory.

   Aaron> That doesn't meant that they are the same...it means that they
   Aaron> are closer to each other, in ideology, in form, and in practice,
   Aaron> than either one is ANY other form of governance.

   >> I am not exactly sure how you distinguish "form" and "practice".

   Aaron> ...another one of your many failings.

You have enough trouble reading and understanding your own words.
Do not expect others to be able to read your feeble "mind".

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)