  Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 21:59:47 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> [...]
> > > Microsoft. They seem to have hit the wall, to have run out of ideas.
> >
> > Solely?
> >
> > > It has been three years since Windows 98 now, and Microsoft is working
> > > on their fourth attempt
> > > at a replacement OS (Windows SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, and now Win
> > > XP), but
> > > most desktops are still running good old Win 98. Why? Because there are
> > > no features in the new
> > > OS's that are interesting enough to be worth the pain and expense of an
> > > upgrade.
> >
> > I'll agree for the  most part with this.
> >
> > > When the internet began to take off there was an opportunity for
> > > Microsoft to become
> > > its champion. However instead MS appears to have seen the internet as a
> > > threat to its desktop
> > > based computing empire, and it attempted to smother the baby. First (as
> > > this author
> > > recalls) by promoting the MSN as a rival to the internet itself, and
> > > when that didn't work,
> > > by (according to Sun)poisoning standards like Java that could have been
> > > used to
> > > build robust e-commerce systems, leaving the world of internet commerce
> > > in disarray,
> > > and turning dot-coms into dot-bombs as cunsumers shied away from the
> > > resulting mess.
> > > In an attempt to close the barn door after the horse was out, MS has put
> > > forward their
> > > new dot-net initiative. It has been called mind-numbingly complex, and
> > > due to customer
> > > suspicion over Microsofts motives, it is seeing adoption rates about
> > > equal to the Ford Edsel.
> >
> > Sun is nothing more than a MS wannabe. Java, as most know, is not all that
> > Sun purports it to be.
> >
> > > In the view of the author, Microsoft overall seems to be transitioning
> > > in behavior, from an
> > > innovator that liberated users with cheap easy-to-use software, to a
> > > mainframe-style company,
> > > obsessed with controlling users and maximizing its revenue from each
> > > trivial product upgrade.
> > > As users balk at painful and expensive upgrades, MS is squeezing for
> > > more license fees from
> > > products already in use. One recent article seemed to indicate that MS
> > > had asked one firm to pay
> > > a license for every CLIENT system that accessed a web site built using
> > > windows NT.
> >
> > MS still makes products that are easy to install and use, and they are
> > actually getting better at providing this benefit.
>
> If you call "repeating the same series of point-and-click operatons
> over and over again, for 150 files" easy.  Most people, however, would
> call that laborious, irritating, and error-prone.
>
> One of the things computers are BEST at is boring, repititous tasks..
> and yet...Mafiasoft software provides NO facilities for the average
> user to automate boring, repititious tasks.

I'm not sure what you mean. BASH/CYGWIN is available for Windows, as is
sed & awk, batch files (ok they do suck but they can do *some* large
scale things fast), the Windows Scripting Host (although I haven't tried
this one out) and some limited DOS console stuff that can do scripting
pretty easily.

> > Obsessed with controlling users? I'll go along with that. They are, after
> > all, a monopoly company. Most monopoly companies behave in the same
> > predictable ways.
> >
> > > Students of history will see that this sort of behavior will inevitably
> > > to the demise of Microsoft.
> > > But for the US economy, this will be a good thing.
> >
> > Demise seems a bit strong to me.
> >
> > > The Barbarians have already gathered at the gates. The Linux OS, which
> > > some claim is more
> > > powerful and robust than Windows, giving the scalability of large UNIX
> > > servers to cheap intel iron,
> > > is already growing faster than Windows 2000, and is reported by the Wall
> > > Street Journal to have claimed
> > > over a 30% market share in servers. Although Linux use on the desktop
> > > has been limited to under 10%
> > > by the inertia of users accustomed to  MS Office, there has now been an
> > > end-around-run. The Openoffice
> > > organization ( http://www.openoffice.org ) has released an office suite
> > > with nearly the same look-and-feel
> > > as MS Office.  It will process MS office document formats, and runs
> > > equally well under Windows and Linux,
> > > and is being given away for FREE in perpetuity.
> >
> > Look and feel don't equate to the ability to usurp an extremely well
> > entrenched product.
> >
> > > Not only that, but old-time arch-rivals of MS, like IBM, are beginning
> > > to lose their fear of defying
> > > Microsoft. It seems that it has suddenly dawned on them that Microsoft
> > > isn't all that talented, or
> > > tough, and given their relative sizes, it might just be time for IBM to
> > > give pipsqueak Microsoft a
> > > thrashing they have long deserved. The first blow is for IBM to spend
> > > over $1billion on Linux
> > > development this year.
> >
> > Jury is out, IMO, on what impact IBM will have on MS's market share through
> > it's exploitation of Linux.
> > Some corporate piss may trickle from the commode down to Linux's end-user
> > base.
> > Funny, you would have me mistrust MS, (easy to do) but would have me trust
> > IBM?
>
> IBM has new leadership.  The current CEO, upon assuming the title,
> fired off a corporation-wide memo blasting management for specifically
> ignoring customers' true needs, and that this was the primary reason
> why IBM was posting losses in the midst of a booming economy.  AIX was
> one such project.  Yes, it's unix...but it is so much UNLIKE other
> kinds of unix, that it "doesn't play well with others".
>
> Adopting Linux is a way of now meeting customers' needs for systems
> which can run the same administrative scripts as their Solaris and
> HP-UX systems, without IBM having to repeat the capital investment of AIX.

I haven't worked at all with AIX so I suppose I will accept that it's
more of a malevolent commercial UNIX than a benevolent one. But... I
have heard that Linux will run on S/390 as a VM in a dynamic memory
partition only, and underneath it's really just S/390 anyway. So why not
just run S/390 (I work on an IBM ES/9000 system at work by the way)?

--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Goldhammer)
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 21:59:57 GMT

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 21:16:08 GMT, Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Goldhammer wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:46:30 GMT, Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> >He's almost as funny as Derek Smart.
>>
>> I hear Derek is busy porting BC3000AD and
>> BC Millenium over to Linux.

>I hadn't heard that. Derek seems to be a Microsoft
>fanatic (read his rants on Direct X) and he doesn't
>believe in supporting any gear that isn't mainstream
>by his standards (BCM will support NO video cards that
>are over a year old) so I'm not sure if I would believe
>that. It could be possible though.

No, it can't be possible. I was just kidding.
I was curious if the comment would generate
rage among Linux advocates. Usually they
welcome software ported over from Windows,
but a port of BC3K might be received about
as enthusiastically as a full-featured port
of the Windows BSOD.

Btw, is Derek still married to Bill Huffman?

--
Don't think you are. Know you are.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: So much for modules in Linux!
Date: 11 Apr 2001 16:47:52 -0500

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:46:49 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Pete Goodwin wrote:

>> > You're going *way* over his head by asking him to do something so
>> > difficult.  If he can't drag it around in KDE then it's lost on him.
>> > It's the TV generation's mentalitiy to everything:  If I can't solve
>> > it in 30 minutes, intersperced with handy 4-minute breaks, then it's
>> > too difficult and I must whine about my patience-challenged
>> > personality in public.
>>
>> Ridiculous! The modules load just fine. Unfortunately if DHCP is loaded
>> first, then they don't. This is a documented _feature_ of SuSE 7.1

I don't get it.  The kernel and modules are distro independent.  If there
is some ordering of modules issue, why don't you just modify your system's
startup scripts to load things in the order that works for you.?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: 11 Apr 2001 21:43:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Even gates admits that the original MS BASIC interpreters came
> from the BASIC interpreter for the PDP-11 which just happened to
> be on the surplus tapes he purchased from them.

I think we would all be interested in your providing a reference for this.

And a shorter .sig file...

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS and ISP's
Date: 11 Apr 2001 22:01:32 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Brent R wrote:
:>
:> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
:>
:> > Considering that Mafia$oft has NEVER created even an adequate
:> > OS, let alone a "world-class" one, the premise of your statement
:> > is false.
:>
:> Considering that you actually use the term "Mafia$oft" and use it ad
:> nauseum, the credibility of your statement is negligible.

: I'm making a point.

: Study the use of repetition, in fact the NEED for repitition, to
: get get through to most people.

Although I use the term myself, I probably shouldn't, as it is rather
insulting to those in the original and far more ethical Mafia.

Joe

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:05:10 GMT

"Roberto Alsina" <

> If "murder" means "unlawful kill", then since the laws of aramaic tribes
> in 2000BC are not at all like today's, the distinction is meaningless.

It doesn't surprise me at all that you are unclear of what is murder.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 21:41:10 GMT

Craig Kelley wrote:

> Would you really like me to enummerate the documented "features" of
> Windows that I don't care for?

Certainly, provided if they are relevant to my system. Oh dear, that means
there are precisely _none_.

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:06:40 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis"

> Thank you,  for providing me several hours of amusement
> by attacking each other....you tools.

Your only tools are your "war-hero" self-aggrandizing lies, wannabe.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message
Date: 11 Apr 2001 22:06:56 GMT

Anonymous ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: > Have you ever heard the term, "the best technology doesn't always win on the
: > day".

: techies never understand that customers do not evaluate products by the
: same standards engineers and programmers do.

: > UNIX has been around for 35 years, and has never been intended to be run on
: > end lusers systems such as yours,

: and so long as your mentality prevails they never will be.

: > that is why they have stuck with high end
: > servers and workstations, the area where the end user has some grey matter in
: > their head.

: is it your theory that the managers who choose to purchase windows for
: business use have no grey matter in thier heads?

: > Also, if you were to look at Linux as the Desktop version of UNIX,
: > considering it has only been around for 9 years, it has made tremendous inroads
: > into the OS market,

: 'only' nine years
: icmtsu

: > considering that not only is it competing against UNIX is
: > some areas, but the illegally maintained monopoly of Microsoft  in the OS market.

: linux = electric cars
: do the math

: > I also refute those statistics.  Many of them never include the number of
: > downloaded copies of Linux, or the "borrowed" copy, or the number of people
: > outside the US adopting Linux as their main OS.

: yeah and they also leave out pirated copies of windows.
: don't assume that a more comprehensive count would work out in your favor.
: also, on the desktop side that's gotta be one hell of a linux dark matter
: blob to make up for microsoft's 90%+ share...

: > It will be rather interesting if
: > Linux becomes the defacto standard on chinese computers, and even if Linux has a
: > 20% share in the Chinese OS market, that will equal 240 Million copies, thus
: > definitely putting  it  a serious position.  Also there is a matter with Red Flag
: > Linux, which, if the Chinese government agrees, could become the standard OS used
: > on government computers, thus, end users in china will follow suite, and use
: > linux as well.

: what is the per capita income in china?

I read that it was $300, a few years ago.

Fred

:                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman

: 'big in japan'
: - spinal tap

: men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
: more even than death
: - bertrand russell

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:00:54 -0400

Jonas wrote:

> Hm.
>
> To wish for another Big IBM as a qritique against microsoft isn't sufficient
> to open up the market in a competitive state.
>
> MS Office offer alot that no one else offer.

Bzzzt! wrong.

Star Office
WordPerfect Office
and soon, KOffice

The ony thing MS-Office provides is a certificate of monopoly-ware-icity.

> The overall interaction between
> Microsoft products is the strenght of the company.
>
> Linux isn't gonna be free bucks. They're gonna squeeze you for money.

"they" who?  The people who are giving stuff away...and don't even
have a mechanism for collecting money (let alone the fact that the
code explicitly allows giving it away--it's pretty hard to "squeeze
someone for money" when they can go get it for free, if they so desire).

> You can tailor your own programs to work with MS Office and other MS Suites.

It's obvious that you don't even understand the concept.

> When Sun talked about distributed objects MS implemented it at a proper
> time.

...in their usual fucked-up, bone-headed junior-high-school-retard sort of way.

> The Java language is just an overstated, idiotic system the serves no one
> with efficiency in mind. C++ just do everything faster, more flexible, and

Efficiency is *never* a design goal of interpreted languages, DUMBASS.

> more efficient. Why would you ever wan't Java if you standardize your
> company on Windows machines.

What company do you work for?

Has your company had a "visit" from the Business Software Alliance,
looking for Mafia$oft machines with no corresponding certificates yet?
[Never mind the fact that you already paid the licensing fee...the BSA
maintains that the burden of proof on the business to prove their
innocence]

> Oracle just boosted the DB prices with their per processor licensing model
> which MS took after. Blame Oracle for all that's bad with prices on DB and
> the internet interaction, concerning prices of course.
>
> People buy MS products because they get something out of it. Ever tried to
> use Borland products ?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:02:13 -0400

Donn Miller wrote:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
> > Given access to the source code, which is a given, you need only change
> > a few lines of code and recompile.  I don't understand why even the
> > UNIX guys are having trouble with this concept.
>
> Yes, but that's Mozilla,  I'm talkin' Netscape 4.76, and there is no
> source code for that branch.  Mozilla is not Netscape;  it is a totally
> re-vamped open source version of Netscape.  Netscape 4.76 is
> closed-source.

What gave you the idea that I'm using Netscape?

Ah yes...the disinformation in my header.

Thank you for demonstrating that it works.

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.