From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:20:33 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> Brent R wrote:

> > > If you call "repeating the same series of point-and-click operatons
> > > over and over again, for 150 files" easy.  Most people, however, would
> > > call that laborious, irritating, and error-prone.
> > >
> > > One of the things computers are BEST at is boring, repititous tasks..
> > > and yet...Mafiasoft software provides NO facilities for the average
> > > user to automate boring, repititious tasks.
> > >
> > > why is that?
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean. BASH/CYGWIN is available for Windows, as is
> > sed & awk, batch files (ok they do suck but they can do *some* large
> > scale things fast), the Windows Scripting Host (although I haven't tried
> > this one out) and some limited DOS console stuff that can do scripting
> > pretty easily.

> > > IBM has new leadership.  The current CEO, upon assuming the title,
> > > fired off a corporation-wide memo blasting management for specifically
> > > ignoring customers' true needs, and that this was the primary reason
> > > why IBM was posting losses in the midst of a booming economy.  AIX was
> > > one such project.  Yes, it's unix...but it is so much UNLIKE other
> > > kinds of unix, that it "doesn't play well with others".
> > >
> > > Adopting Linux is a way of now meeting customers' needs for systems
> > > which can run the same administrative scripts as their Solaris and
> > > HP-UX systems, without IBM having to repeat the capital investment of AIX.
> >
> > I haven't worked at all with AIX so I suppose I will accept that it's
> > more of a malevolent commercial UNIX than a benevolent one. But... I
> > have heard that Linux will run on S/390 as a VM in a dynamic memory
> > partition only, and underneath it's really just S/390 anyway. So why not
> > just run S/390 (I work on an IBM ES/9000 system at work by the way)?

> > --
> > - Brent
> >
> > http://rotten168.home.att.net
>
> I've heard that IBMs new S/390 can run 35 years without crashing.  Any
> truth to this?

Wouldn't surprise me.

Some IBM AS/400 were assembled without ON/OFF switches....by design.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "tony roth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows in space......
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:58:07 -0700
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy

ok what ever you say!

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:03:19 -0700, tony roth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >the russian portable looks like its running nt!
> >tr
>
> Nope, sorry.  It's linux with KDE desktop.
>

> >"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:31:53 -0400, Patrick McAllister
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >funny....kinda.....read.

> >> This is worth a short quote, don't you think?:
> >>

> >> 2:00 a.m. Apr. 7, 2001 PDT
> >>
> >> The space station, which has been operational for less than five
> >> months, experiences almost daily computer glitches, according to
> >> the commander's log recently published on the Web.
> >>
> >> Most of the problems appear to be related to Microsoft's Windows NT,
> >> while Russian-made software seems to be more reliable.

misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
From: Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism - Nazism... no significant differences
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 01:30:02 +1000

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> Mathew wrote:

>of

> > > In other words, a distinction without a difference.
> >
> > Of  course there were differences between Nazism and Communism
> > When the Nazis were fighting to take over the world(or as much of it they
> > could)how was  it different than the  Communists scheme to take over the
> > world?
>
> Thank you for admitting that there is no significant difference
> between Nazism and Communism.

I just showed there"is" a difference,but you are too stupid to see.
Now how many forms of govt that are fascist now,are trying to take over
the world,idiot.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:33:40 -0400

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > How can you compare PDP-11 assembler to 8080 assembler?
> > > The evidence is in seeing the same reserved words that DEC uses in
> > > comparison to ANSI basic.  North Star also wrote their basic, but never
> > > patterned it after DEC like Gates did.  MS basic then was so close to
> > > DECs that its a wonder DEC didn't sue him.
> >
> > Especially for the CTRL-Z for end of file.
> >
> > That right there is the smoking gun.
>
> Uhh.. Ctrl-Z is the ASCII definition of EOF.

WRONG, JACKASS.  Ctrl-Z is SUB (Substitute).

End of File is CTRL-D.

Dec     Hex
0       00      CTRL-@  NUL     Null
1       01      CTRL-A  SOH     Start of Heading
2       2       CTRL-B  STX     Start Text
3       3       CTRL-C  ETX     End Text
4       4       CTRL-D  EOT     End of Transmission (aka End of File)
5       5       CTRL-E  ENQ     Enquiry
6       6       CTRL-F  ACK     Acknowledge
7       7       CTRL-G  BEL     Bell
8       8       CTRL-H  BS      Backspace
9       9       CTRL-I  TAB     Horizontal Tab
10      A       CTRL-J  LF      Linefeed
11      B       CTRL-K  VT      Vertical Tab
12      C       CTRL-L  FF      Formfeed
13      D       CTRL-M  CR      Carriage Return
14      E       CTRL-N  SO      Shift Out
15      F       CTRL-O  SI      Shift In
16      10      CTRL-P  DLE     Data Link Escape
17      11      CTRL-Q  DC1     DC1 (X-on)
18      12      CTRL-R  DC2     DC2
19      13      CTRL-S  DC3     DC3 (X-OFF)
20      14      CTRL-T  DC4     DC4
21      15      CTRL-U  NAK     Negative Acknowledge
22      16      CTRL-V  SYN     Synchronous Idle
23      17      CTRL-W  ETB     Ent Transmission Blocks
24      18      CTRL-X  CAN     Cancel
25      19      CTRL-Y  EM      End of Medium
26      1A      CTRL-Z  SUB     Substitute
27      1B      CTRL-[  ESC     Escape
28      1C      CTRL-\  FS      File Seperator
29      1D      CTRL-]  GS      Group Seperator
30      1E      CTRL-^  RS      Record Seperator
31      1F      CTRL-_  US      Unit Seperator

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux.org, gnome.org and linux.com
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:35:51 -0400

Tan Siong Hua wrote:

> I heard that Lnux is more stable, but I pay constant visit (every day) to
> these 3 sites, www.linux.com, www.linux.org and www.gnome.org and the
> gnotices in the www.gnome.org site, what I get is that these web site
> frequently run out of order, time are I can't access this sites very often,
> when compared t www.microsoft.com that only out of service for a very rare
> basis, I wonder what's wrong with these Linux hosted sites, problem with
> bandwidth? I don't know.....

Probably...because from my location (in the US, there's never a problem).

Microsoft probably has servers that are more local to Malaysia
than the linux sites you listed (which are in the US and Western Europe).

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Rob Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:44:21 -0400

silverback wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 22:37:19 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >silverback wrote:

<etc,... snip>

> >> wrong again liar. Fascism is corporate rule. The Nazis allowed the
> >> corporations to write the laws.
> >
> >So, then, you agree that it's bad to let the Sierra Club and similar
> >groups write environmental law, and that it's a bad idea to let
> >those with a vested interest in the welfare bureacracy to write
> >welfare laws.
>
> nope, the Sierra club is hardly a corporation buttfuck.

>From http://outingleaders.sierraclub.org:8082/Common/ins_manual/index.asp;

[...]

  The Sierra Club, which includes the chapters, groups, and sections,
  is considered one corporation under California corporation law.

 Fish, barrel, etc,...

_
Rob Robertson

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (hack)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: 12 Apr 2001 15:44:40 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]
>Efficiency is *never* a design goal of interpreted languages, *******.
(Why are you so offensive?)

Efficiency depends on what you care about.  In a situation where many small
programs are run a few times each at most (e.g. dynamic programming, or
exploratory programming), cutting out compile time is a win.  In other
situations, the run-time setup for a compiled language can be significantly
larger than for an efficiency-minded interpreter -- and for small programs
this can again favour the interpreter -- *if* it is efficiency-minded (i.e.
uses look-side techniques to avoid redoing things, or under-the-cover JIT
compilation, or just plain efficiency-minded implementation).

One interpreted language where efficiency *was* a design goal is Forth.

One where implementation efficiency was a high priority is modern Exec 2,
and even old (1979) Exec 2 is no slouch.

In the balance of things, many interpreters may have considerations of higher
priority than efficiency, but that doesn't exclude efficiency from being one
of the design goals.

Michel.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: New virus attacks Linux and MS OS
Date: 12 Apr 2001 10:33:23 -0500

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:56:15 +0200, Mikkel Elmholdt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i en meddelelse
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
><snip>
>
>> > Most Linux users that I know boot into root and stay there.  The easiest
>of
>>
>> You must hang with some pretty stupid people.
>>
>> by the way, how do you become non-root in the typical Winblows desktop
>machine
>
>That's easy if you are running WinNT/2000 in a Windows domain. An ordinary
>user is not automatically granted Administrator rights on their own machine,
>unless the IT guys enable it. That means that you cannot install drivers,
>services, and other stuff.

This seperation of normal users and administrators was seriously broken
in Windows NT and didn't get better until W2K.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Microsoft security concerns: Wall Street Journal
Date: 12 Apr 2001 09:48:13 -0600

"Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > FTP isn't significant?
> >
> > Clue for the clueless--that's the protocol used for pushing all
> > the files every time you browse a web page.
>
> Ummmm, CLUE for the truely clueless - ftp is NOT the protocol used to browse
> the web. HELLO?! It's HTTP. AND, we're talking about the W2K FTP.EXE
> program, not FTP in general. I use a GUI FTP client, not the command line
> utility.
>

> > rcp... remote copy.  similar needs
>
> never needed it, I use other mechanisms
>

> > rsh... remote command execution... foundation-level tool used in web
> interactions.
>
> Completely untrue. I use RCP and other mechanisms.
>

> > nslookup... very important..that's how you translate symbolic hostnames
> > (like www.google.com) into numeric IP addresses
>
> Dude, you are seriously confused... why the hell would I need nslookup for
> that, gee, how about ping to get the translation? Besides, I use something
> better than the command line version.

Nothing is better than ncftp.

You know, life is better after you killfile Aaron -- then you don't
have to listen to him pretend he knows what he's talking about, or
read his way-too-long signature either.

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]