From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: Windows 2000: Put A Fork In IT
Date: 7 Mar 2000 11:07:54 -0600

In article <8a0cr7$omm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> These 'improvements' are against NT, though.  All it really proves
>> is just how bad NT really was.  Those of use using unix all along
>> already knew that.  Even the people using beta W2K knew that
>> or they wouldn't have been pressed into working with beta code.
>> The question is, when you know how bad NT is, why do you trust
>> the company that created it to get it right this time?
>
>But you see, I know how bad it is and it ain't bad. I would call it good in
>fact. And I would call W2K great. THAT is why I trust it. NT 4 worked
>before, perhaps not as well as everyone (myself included) would have
>prefered but it did work. W2K works... better.

NT4 worked *if* your applications had no bugs and you never had to
load any new programs, change your netmask, or anything else
that might upset it.   Perhaps you've never tried to keep it
running under real world conditions.  It also goes to extremes
to avoid interoperating nicely with anything else, and W2K looks
even worse in this respect.  Let me know when it will allow
a non-MicroSoft product to control its authentication.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eduard Bloch)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: I can't stand this X anymore!
Date: 7 Mar 2000 15:44:39 GMT

Am 6 Mar 2000 01:30:50 GMT schrieb/wrote/a écrit
Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in comp.os.linux.development.apps:

>The only inadequacy with X is that the font system doesn't support
>anti-aliasing, ie "font smoothing".

Can we expect any changes in Xfree86-4 or the next major release? I am
still surprised about the quality of font presentation when working via
telnet (Putty) from a windows box.

Eduard.
Eduard Bloch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; HP: http://eduard.bloch.com/edecosi
0xEDF008C5(gpg): E6EB 98E2 B885 8FF0 6C04  5C1D E106 481E EDF0 08C5
**
Don't drink as root!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: 7 Mar 2000 17:14:49 GMT

On 7 Mar 2000 16:31:59 GMT, Donal K. Fellows wrote:

>X does make available the metrics for the fonts as well.  Though it

How ? Just curious.

>seems that some people don't use that metric info very well...  A way

True. Most apps for example do not even kern.

>for apps to get the actual font shapes from the X server would be
>useful for building downloadable (usually Type1 or Type3) fonts for
>printers/printer drivers.

Nice idea but very hard to implement. A better way (tm) would be to use
a database to map X11 font names to outline filenames, much like what
Applixware and Star do now. This requires much less work -- no rewriting
any of X. And now that you can serve fonts from remote systems, there's
no reason why you can't serve the fonts from the Xclient's machine if
necessary.

>Half the problem is that there are several groups of people wanting to
>use fonts.  There are the "we want perfect WYSIWYG" types[*] and there
>are the "if it's close enough, I'm happy" types.

I don't agree with this. We don't currently have any kind of standard
WYSIWYG system in place, and the result is that there are a lot of different
groups writing their own systems to manage fonts which in the end makes the
users and developers lives more difficult.

If you want WYSIWYG of any sort, the current system is inadequate. The
others either don't care about WYSIWYG or don't know what they're talking
about.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Date: 7 Mar 2000 11:14:14 -0600

In article <f78x4.4986$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Nope, I'm not afraid of unproven technology, maybe it is you who are afraid of
>> tried and true technology, stedily improved upon by the efforts of thousands
>> since about 1970.
>
>But, I thought Linux wasn't Unix? Oh, I see, when it serves your purpose,
>then linux is Un*x, right? But when it doesn't, then it isn't?

Linux is unix to a greater extent than win32 is win32.  Application
source code from the 70's or at least early 80's is likely to compile
and run unchanged even though the underlying OS has changed over
the years.

>> But then, maybe you fear the upcoming 2.4 Linux kernel,
>> with improved SMP, and a myriad of other improvements.
>
>Hey, maybe it'll be almost as good as NT 4.0 then!

Good/NT - in the same sentence?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: 7 Mar 2000 17:24:43 GMT

On 7 Mar 2000 07:05:05 GMT, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.development.apps Christopher Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Your comments were spot on, except for one thing: the TrueType font
>format provides for hints that are especially helpful for rendering
>on small resolution displays.

That's basically it. THough it's also true that Type1 fonts also
contain hints. Type1 hinting is more limited in theory.

> Not all TrueType fonts use those,

Exactly. In fact most TrueType fonts are converted from Type1.

>the Monotype fonts Microsoft uses are superbly hinted. I wonder, would
>it be acceptable to take the PostScript fonts included with XFree and
>try to improve them? I've got access to some good font design software,
>myself.

You'd want to check the license to make sure you aren't doing anything
illegal. It might be worth it. They probably don't have any hinting,
and for onscreen display, this is probably the most desirable feature --
though I'm not sure how well the rasteriser will take advantage of it
if it was added.

Another suggestion, if you're interested in playing with fonts -- TeX
has an exceptional family of fonts called "computer modern". I believe
these even ship in Type1 format ( the originals are in metafont ), though
I can't find the afm files ( maybe they're on ctan somewhere ).

--
Donovan

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: VIRUS ALERT! (W32/Shoerec)
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 17:29:40 GMT

Take it to a newsgroup that cares.  Anyone who runs an executable from a
cmplete stranger deserves to have their computer destroyed.

FYI:  you posted to a LINUX newsgroup.  Nobody running linux would be
affected by such a virius.  It simply wouldn't run and even if it did the
operating system would protect itself.

Go away.

On 06 Mar 2000 22:42:22 GMT, Dr Solomon's Virus Patrol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>WARNING! A virus has been found in a binary file posted to
>the following newsgroup(s):
> comp.os.linux.advocacy

idiocy snipped

------------------------------

From: "Davorin Mestric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Open Software Reliability
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 18:17:02 +0100

you did not understand his comment.

------------------------------

From: Dr Yassam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Giving up on NT - So Where's The Emotion?
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 17:18:38 GMT

> <BIG SNIP>
>
> If it's already over, why is Eidos, your prime example, producing PC
> games at all?

Many good points Mike, I'm tempted to help, but you seem to be handling
things just fine! :)

But still, I shall give some thoughts on the PS2 since I'm here...

Dedicated to those who believe PCs will be replaced by consoles

Now that the PS2 has been launched, and that all the hype is subsiding
and reality is finally kicking in, we can reflect on the console which
Joseph and others believe will change "life as we know it".

The fact is, initial reviews of the console and the launch games falls
way sort of last year's hyped up expectations (generated by Sony's PR
and demos), but it's exactly what I was expecting from a console based
on today's technology. Yes it is a great console (that was to be
expected), but a revolution it is not, and a 'PC killer' it certainly is
not.

This is also clear from the so-called 'revolutionary graphics' which
DailyRadar describe as;

"a little bit better than the Dreamcast, and perhaps not the
generational leap many had expected. This is of course the first batch
of games, and they will improve, but graphically it's not earth
shattering."

http://www.dailyradar.com/hardware/hardware_review_584.html

Hmmm....

It's unfair of course to read too much into the initial games, however
like Ridge Racer on the Playstation, Virtua Fighter on the Saturn and
Mario64 on the N64, the initial games gives the first indications of the
console's capabilities and the prospects of games to come. The simple
truth is, the PS2 is Evolutionary, NOT Revolutionary.

Does anyone remember how Sony's emotion engine was "15 times more
powerful than a PentiumII-450, and 5 times more powerful than a
PentiumIII-500"? (A statement which no-one seemed to have noticed
actually suggested a PentiumIII was 5 times faster than a similar speed
PentiumII!)

Today they only say it matches a PentiumIII for power;

http://www.techweb.com/se/directlink.cgi?EET19991011S0008

Hmmm...

Of course, until T&L hardware support becomes common place on PC
graphics cards, the PS2 games can utilise much more of the emotion's
engine power than PC games can of the PentiumIII or Athlon processors.
However, by the end of this year (or next year at the latest), the PC
will have already exceed the power of the PS2! And regardless of what
some game developers may say, they ARE ALWAYS greedy for more power.
They will be more than happy to develop PC games on such hardware when
it arrives (with console versions to boost profits if necessary). This
is just one of MANY reasons why the PC games market is still going
strong today, and will still be strong in the foreseeable future.

The PS2 will have no more impact on the PC games market than the
original Playstation had over the last 5 years. And before anyone
screams out "ONLINE", the Saturn, PSX and N64 were all launched BEFORE
online gaming became big on the PC.

The much hyped 'emotion engine' is nothing more than a VERY powerful
processor optimized for complex mathematical tasks, but some have fallen
for the hype and believe it's something more than that (Hi Joseph!).
Also, the PS2's graphics depends on standard polygon rendering, but
again, some people believe the hype and think it's more than that (Hey,
Joseph!).

And where's all the 'EMOTION' based games promised by Sony last year?
They were not at the launch, and I know of none in developement. All
we've seen so far are typical console games with better graphics.
If such a game does appear it will have had nothing to do with the
'emotion engine', and everything to do with the efforts of the game
developers themselves. Emotion is a human quality, it's not hardware
dependent, and yet some people have been suckered into believing this
hype as well. Shenmue on the DC conveys more emotion than all the PS2
games put together!

So, why the rant? Do I hate consoles? Absolutely not, the PS2 is as good
as I expected it to be, but no more and no less. When it arrives this
year in the UK (and depending on the games), I will be tempted to buy
one. But to those who think it marks the end of PC gaming and the
beginning of a new era of computing, wake-up because IT DOESN'T. Just
enjoy it for what it is, a great console which will have some great
games.

So love it or loath it folks, PC gaming is here to stay (atleast for the
foreseeable future).

Dr Yassam (Fan of PC and Console games)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael C. Vergallen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Salary?
Date: 7 Mar 2000 17:55:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Eric LEMAITRE wrote:

>When do you flee from Belgium for USA :-)) ?
I'm allready looking into this ... My estimated time is in 2 - 3 years.
I'm currently doing a degree, so as soon as I get this done I'll be
considering this as an option.

Michael
--
Michael C. Vergallen A.k.A. Mad Mike,
Sportstraat 28                  http://www.double-barrel.be/mvergall/

------------------------------

From: "ax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 11 Days wasted on Linux
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 17:57:01 GMT

"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 07 Mar 2000 02:04:18 GMT, ax wrote:
> >It's interesting to hear the voice from a business owner.
>
> It would be interesting if it was a business owner. Unfortunately,
> it's just Mr "forever between jobs" Steve or pickle_peter or proculus
> or whatever he calls himself now. Notice the general lack of coherence
> and literacy in the post ? Does that sound to you like the words of a CEO
> or does it just sound like some poor loser trying to act the part ? Check
> the headers in case you're not convinced already.

The speech patterns of some CEOs may not be anything
better than our normal people.  I had a chance to work closely
with a CEO and a president of a troubled company for about
a month. I was shocked to hear his lousy speech patterns and
to observe his extremely negative mind set and behavior.

There are good CEOs. There are not so good ones too.  Those
not so good ones may need help from the book about the pathway
to performance (those CEOs know the exact title of that book).

Sorry to be off the topic.

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bill Gates just cant win
Date: 7 Mar 2000 17:59:06 GMT

: I like the rolling stones song used to advertise '95.  It got cut off just
: before the line "make a grown man cry."

Another enjoyable line is the song "Getting Better" used in the
Magnavox(?) commercials.  You'll always hear the line:
"A little better all the time" but the followup:
"can't get no worse" never quite makes it before the song
gets cut off :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Winsper)
Subject: Re: A little advocacy..
Date: 8 Mar 2000 02:01:01 GMT

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000 22:59:24 +0100, Mig Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I didn't get Eric's reply, so I'll answer here.

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > Darren Winsper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> > message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Please provide references for your claim.
> >
> > Oh, so you'r claiming it's not?

There are companies trying to position Linux as a replacement for
Windows, but it's not viable in most cases at this time.  Besides,
don't avoid the question.

> > few
> > >
> > > Without actually going out of your way to configure it to, please
> > > explain how.
> >
> > That's the point.  If you're not configured correctly, it can lock up and
> > crash.  The same with windows.

But it seems Windows (At least the 9x series) come configured in an
unstable maner.  It seems you'd have to go out of your way to configure
Linux in such a way to make it unstable.

--
Darren Winsper (El Capitano) - ICQ #8899775
Stellar Legacy project member - http://www.stellarlegacy.tsx.org

DVD boycotts.  Are you doing your part?
"Microsoft is estimating that 28,000 of these [bugs] are likely to be 'real'
 problems [in Windows2000]."
-http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2436920,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews01

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Higgs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I've been Cleansed
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 20:08:47 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message ...
>After wasting some where near a month TRYING in vain to switch to
>Linux I have finally found my home, and that is Windows 98 SE.

Why so long?

>Windows users thinking of switching to Linux?

Say yes.....

>Windows users: I'll bet you love that Modem, scanner and printer you
>have and I am certain it works GREAT under Windows.

They will work under Linux too.

>Need to share files amongst your office coworkers? Hope they like text
>cause that's what you'll be sending them.All those nice graphics and
>custom sig lines, gone under Linux...

Obviously can't use StarOffice ( which saves and reads all MS Office File
formats)....

>I could go on for pages but the point is that Linux doesn't cut the

The point is you don't know enough about Linux....

>mustard, it just plain sucks and you would be far better off using
>WIndows or McIntosh or AIX or anything other than Linux.
>
>Don't believe me?

OK not a difficult choice....

>Http://www.corel.com
>Will get you started.
>
>When was the last time you got something for free that actually
>worked?

About 2 days ago. It is called Wu-Ftp. You should have tried it. Too bad....

>pete

Kind regards
Andrew Higgs